X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pmgriphone
    replied
    Ok Alex, thanks for clarifying that.

So then I estimate the total number of series windings for Dave's case at around 436, or about 36 (=436/12) windings per bundle of 12 strains.

This would approximate the effective relative permeability of the iron core to about 23, which seems a bit low if the core is iron. This is a value that I would more expect for a ferrite core.

For the inductance of an air coil (no iron), I would then estimate a value of about 6.4mH for the inductance.

Dave, would be good if you can verify that at some point in the future when you wind a coil without core.

Leave a comment:

• Quantum_well
    replied
    Super, thank you. I'm going to try and do some calculations.

Leave a comment:

• alexelectric
    replied
    Originally posted by pmgriphone View Post
    Dave, can you clarify if you used 253ft total length (so about 21ft per strain), or if you used 253ft per strain (that would be a total of 12*253=3036ft of wire).

Per the resistance measurement, it should be the first case (21ft per strain), but Alex's message above where he says 256ft each strain, got me confused.
    The one I built was 256 feet per line, 12 lines, on the spool I showed, Mr. Dave built it according to the data he sent us

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    Thanks Alex,
    I recognized that data sheet the way it was set up and I have gone there several times in the last couple months giving a link to that page to others who were interested in buying bobbins from the same place I got mine so they would have the same ones. But somehow the bookmark disappeared. I had one for a different vender that does not carry what I want and I THOUGHT I deleted it, so it looks like I deleted the wrong one. I have too many bookmarks and late at night I have been weeding them out and putting them into folders so I can actually find them when I need them. Fat lot of good it does me if I delete the ones I meant to keep!

Leave a comment:

• pmgriphone
    replied
    Dave, can you clarify if you used 253ft total length (so about 21ft per strain), or if you used 253ft per strain (that would be a total of 12*253=3036ft of wire).

Per the resistance measurement, it should be the first case (21ft per strain), but Alex's message above where he says 256ft each strain, got me confused.

Leave a comment:

• alexelectric
    replied
    Originally posted by Quantum_well View Post
    Alex, thank you for that, if you have time could you please say the diameter of a finished coil.

The diameter of the finished coil is 1 or 2 millimeters less than the diameter (F),
    And it depends on the length you wind, in one I built it with 256 feet each thread, there were 12 threads

Leave a comment:

• alexelectric
    replied
    Originally posted by Turion View Post
    Alex,
    where did you get that. I lost my bookmark to where I ordered them from and my friend who is building these machines needs to order more bobbins. I’m OuT! I bought a CASE last time, so that shows you how many coils I have wound for the various versions I have built.
    Here is the data Mr. Dave

Injection Molded Plastic Spools and Reels | Nortic Inc.

http://www.norticinc.com/plastic-spool/

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Quantum_well
    replied
    Alex, thank you for that, if you have time could you please say the diameter of a finished coil.

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    Alex,
    where did you get that. I lost my bookmark to where I ordered them from and my friend who is building these machines needs to order more bobbins. I’m OuT! I bought a CASE last time, so that shows you how many coils I have wound for the various versions I have built.
    Last edited by Turion; 04-03-2021, 03:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• alexelectric
    replied
    Imag.jpg Here are the spool measurements for the coil

Leave a comment:

• Quantum_well
    replied
    Is this something like?

IMG_20210403_151734~2.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    Area of core 3/4" x 3 1/4
    Diameter of wire 3 3/8 x 3 1/8 (minus core)
    Yes, N52 magnets

Leave a comment:

• pmgriphone
    replied
    Another couple of things that I need for calculations are the diameter of the opening of the coil (air/iron/ferrite area), the length of the coil and outside diameter of the coil (measured at the outer copper windings, not the bobbin). Not sure if you remember how many turns you have on the coil, but if not, I can estimate based on those dimensions and the wire length.

Also, I think you mentioned that you are use N52 magnets, correct?

Leave a comment:

• pmgriphone
    replied
    The resistance of 1000ft of AWG #23 wire is 20.36 ohms. Total calculated resistance of 253ft of length is then 5.16ohms. So each of the 12 strands is 253/12=21ft long.

The calculated resistance of 5.16ohms is close to what you measured at 5.9ohms (maybe a bit of additional connection losses in the connector block and the meter leads).

I also note that the maximum current through AWG #23 is 4.7amps (chassis wiring in air or for a single wire), so you probably want to put a conservative fuse in series with your coils. Maybe start off with a 2 or 3amp (car) fuse just to make sure the copper wires don't burn out. You could increase the fuse rating later on to 5amps if things don't heat up too much when you attach a resistive load. Just play it safe so you don't burn out any coils. That would be a lot of work to redo those.
    Last edited by pmgriphone; 04-03-2021, 12:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    Thanks for the tips. I was in a hurry this morning and then I worked all day on my remodel project, so I’m beat. But now is a good time to kick back and actually read the book on how to use the LCR meter and watch some you tube videos. I have a two channel scope, with an attachment for reading amps I plan on using that to measure the output of the coil as a generator coil, along with an analogue meter.

My wire size is AWG #23 each strand 253 feet in length with 28” hanging off the coil at each end for connections. So 250 feet actually wound on the coil.

I will print out what you wrote and work my way through it either later tonight or in the AM. Then post the data.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X