Peter Daysh Davey Water Heater Query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by boguslaw View Post
    I have a little worrying : if higher COP occur after water is boiling inside can then we cannot check the efficiency without a complete system with recirculating water in pipes using pump.
    So only take it up to to say 95 deg C. or 203 deg F. You will see current fall as Temp rises.

Comment

• Boiling cop?

Hi!

I agree on that! All I know so far is that current draw is less at boiling, I have a feeling cop still is about the same. Less current seem to come from more steam around ring??

Originally posted by boguslaw View Post
      I have a little worrying : if higher COP occur after water is boiling inside can then we cannot check the efficiency without a complete system with recirculating water in pipes using pump.
      "Being myself a remarkably stupid fellow, I have had to unteach myself the difficulties, and now beg to present to my fellow fools the parts that are not hard. Master these thoroughly, and the rest will follow. What one fool can do, another can."

Silvanus P. Thompson, F.R.S.

Comment

• Very Nice Indeed!!!

Hi Jason,

That's a very innovative great idea indeed. Thanks for sharing about it. I'll be using that. We really did needed a better way to sand these cans with the tops removed, since we have to periodically test them to see where we are with the tune. Very Nice!!!

Best Regards,
        Slovenia

Originally posted by cornfused View Post
        Guys and Gals
        I just figured out an easier way to sand cans with the top cut off.....
        First stuff a rag in the can, kinda center it. it needs to almost fill the can up...then find you a plastic drinking cup thats tapered and will slide into the open end of can. press it in and Bingo!! Ive been sanding on my latest can with it on the drill,, this is sooooo much better!

And also, Thank you Professer Savic' for everything you have shared. We are very greatful, and this has been a really fun thing to do. Thanks A Lot!!
        Last edited by Slovenia; 11-15-2011, 10:20 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Hole

Hi Chet,

The can shouldn't have a hole in it, but I'd use it anyway. Most of the cans out there that are sold as singles have many imperfections. The only way to reduce the number of imperfections on the cans is to purchase them in an enclosed carton. Those seem to be as close to perfect as we're going to find. As for sanding, you don't need to sand the whole can like many are doing. It's just necessary to sand a taper at the top of the can from what I've gathered from Mr. "C". That area at the top of the can needs to be really thin I guess and so you want as perfect a can as possible before you start sanding it or you will be getting holes at the area you're sanding. Use the finest sand paper you can get according to Mr. "C".

Also, some new information came to light from Mr. "C". He said that if the can is not properly tuned before putting it in the water that it will corrode and self destruct. So, that explains what Daemonbart was having happen to his aluminum cans. According to Mr. "C", if the cans are properly tuned they will not corrode away.

Great Job!!

Best Regards,
          Slovenia

[QUOTE=RAMSET;167068]This Can I am Sanding [while I run my heat tests ] ,has some imperfections
          [in photo] is it possible to find a can without such imperfections?
          I have been told it could take 20 hrs of sanding and tuning to get this right
          I don't want to waste time on a bad can [unless this is typical]

Another question?
          I have made a microscopic hole while sanding [when it was full ]
          have I ruined it?

Thank you
          Chet
          Last edited by Slovenia; 11-15-2011, 10:36 AM. Reason: Removed Pic

Comment

• Slurry mix

Lots of good info being shared!!
            Thanks

@TEKTRON
            Yes a smaller manifold to make Steam seems to be what the professor is
            saying,And as daemonbart says current goes down with the boil ,which would of Course make sense ![and what the Professor told us with his Chart]

And Duncan showed us with his spoons .........

I think we can play with the space between the ring and the tube on the ikea device to make this manifest without much effort [a boil condition]

We create a mini boiler in that space ,A little home that the ring lives in and gets really hot really fast .
            I like it !!

Of course the obvious question arises Why do we need the rest of the device
            {ikea]?big long tube and such?

@Jason
            Thanks for that Idea,I have to admit I Like to automate ,I have been pondering a slurry mix [super mild abrasive ] and just lower the can on a drill [or drill press] into the mix where we need the sanding done and turn it on and walk away, we could protect the inside or even include it in the
            sand job if it becomes necessary.

Food for thought, I am more intrigued than ever ! Whats going on inside this device [Savic}? It is obvious that we can get a boil going and diminish current!

Oh how I would love A pic of your device Professor !!

Very intriguing indeed!!
            Thanks fellahs

Chet
            Last edited by RAMSET; 11-15-2011, 01:16 PM.
            If you want to Change the world
            BE that change !!

Comment

• Mr.C

Please can You mark where to cut the can for 50Hz 220V?
              Attached Files

Comment

• EU Length of Can

The can is supposed to be 150mm long from the base of the can up. So, you measure from the bottom up and cut it at 150mm. Then, you have to sand it until it plays at 50 Hz.

Originally posted by Ares123 View Post
                Mr.C

Please can You mark where to cut the can for 50Hz 220V?

Comment

• Guys as I was searching Tesla's Patent, I stumbled on a little piece of info

THE NEW TESLA ELECTRIC HEATER *
                  by Nikola Tesla

STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL
                  This device is greatly superior to the usual flat core type in efficiency and other respects. It consists of a thin polished metal tube acting as reflector and a base equipped with switch and connecting terminals and carrying spaced resistor wires concentric with the tube and at a certain distance from the inner surface of the same. In this arrangement the diffuse radiation is virtually eliminated, and the heater operates as if the resistor were not present, the rays being projected from the reflector radially to the central or focal region occupied by the boiling pot.
                  The principal advantages thus secured are the following:
                  1. A very high efficiency, as much as 96% being attainable.
                  2. The efficiency is practically the same whether the pot is large or small since the density of the rays is inversely as the diameter of the vessel.
                  3. Due to these features the current consumption is hardly more than half of that in the best heaters of the type referred to.
                  4. The resistor has a relatively much longer life and can be made to last almost indefinitely in some cases. Also less wire can be used if desired.
                  5. The heat being largely confined to the range, the kitchen remains comparatively cool.
                  6. Another practical advantage is greater safety from a variety of accidents frequently occurring with ordinary ranges.
                  7. The-new heater is especially adapted for use on shipboard, Pullman cars, aerial vehicles and automobiles.
                  8. Likewise, it is suitable for all kinds of service on the table, being free from the objections of the present type.
                  9. It saves considerable time in certain applications.
                  10. Owing to simplicity, the cost of manufacturing is low.
                  Signs and symbols rule the world, not words nor laws.” -Confucius.

Comment

• Wonderful find

Gordon,
                    I must confess My knowledge of Tesla is not Up to par.
                    It would seem to me he must have dabbled in Heat,and your post seems to Hint at shades of this device??

I am at home now Buried in domestic tasks ,we had our power knocked out up here for quite some time ,the property is a total mess with trees down
                    And general disarray!

I am awaiting some measurements for the ikea device before I make another test.{I can do them pretty quick now]

You boys in the bleachers need to try this out ,it is amazingly passive and safe ,I really believe the professor has shared something wonderful with us!!

When I get my transformer I am going to switch to 220 and a more precise replication!! What better thing to play with in the wintertime than a nice heater!!
                    I'm having fun just imagining the innovations and how to implement them?

Thanks for being here Men [and Mrs.db]

Chet
                    BE that change !!

Comment

• Thanks Ramset...always a pleasure

The fun part about Tesla and his patents, they are like a Puzzle for instance if you read the 2 patents that follow, i think you might get the idea is not too far off from what Peter Davey was doing

THE NEW TESLA ELECTRIC HEATER *
                      by Nikola Tesla

STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL
                      This device is greatly superior to the usual flat core type in efficiency and other respects. It consists of a thin polished metal tube acting as reflector and a base equipped with switch and connecting terminals and carrying spaced resistor wires concentric with the tube and at a certain distance from the inner surface of the same. In this arrangement the diffuse radiation is virtually eliminated, and the heater operates as if the resistor were not present, the rays being projected from the reflector radially to the central or focal region occupied by the boiling pot.
                      The principal advantages thus secured are the following:
                      1. A very high efficiency, as much as 96% being attainable.
                      2. The efficiency is practically the same whether the pot is large or small since the density of the rays is inversely as the diameter of the vessel.
                      3. Due to these features the current consumption is hardly more than half of that in the best heaters of the type referred to.
                      4. The resistor has a relatively much longer life and can be made to last almost indefinitely in some cases. Also less wire can be used if desired.
                      5. The heat being largely confined to the range, the kitchen remains comparatively cool.
                      6. Another practical advantage is greater safety from a variety of accidents frequently occurring with ordinary ranges.
                      7. The-new heater is especially adapted for use on shipboard, Pullman cars, aerial vehicles and automobiles.
                      8. Likewise, it is suitable for all kinds of service on the table, being free from the objections of the present type.
                      9. It saves considerable time in certain applications.
                      10. Owing to simplicity, the cost of manufacturing is low.
                      --------------------

Originally posted by MonsieurM View Post
                      did you guys already read this patent by Tesla

MEANS FOR INCREASING THE INTENSITY OF ELECTRICAL OSCILLATIONS.

Tesla Patent 685,012 - Means for Increasing the Intensity of Electrical Oscillations

Now in his aptent, Tesla talks about using a cooling liquid, but at the right resonance you boil the liquid as in Peter Daveys/ Serbian Mr C Set up:

From the foregoing the operation of the apparatus will now be readily understood. Assume, first, as the simplest case that upon the coil A of the transmitter impulses or oscillations of an arbitrary frequency and irrespective of its own free vibrations are impressed. Corresponding oscillations will then be induced in the circuit B, which, being constructed and adjusted, as before indicated, so as to vibrate at the same rate, will greatly magnify them, the increase being directly proportionate to the product of the frequency of the oscillations and the inductance of circuit B and inversely to the resistance of the latter. Other conditions remaining the same, the intensity of the oscillations in the resonating-circuit B will be increased in the same proportion as its resistance is reduced. Very often, however, the conditions may be such that the gain sought is not realized directly by diminishing the resistance of the circuit. In such cases the skilled expert who applies the invention will turn to advantage the reduction of resistance by using a correspondingly longer conductor, thus securing a much greater self-induction, and under all circumstances he will determine the dimensions of the circuit, so as to get the greatest value of the ratio of its inductance to its resistance, which determines the intensity of the free oscillations. The vibrations of coil B, greatly strengthened, spread to a distance and on reaching the tuned receiving-conductor B' excite corresponding oscillations in the same, which for similar reasons are intensified, with the result of inducing correspondingly stronger currents or oscillations in circuit A', including the receiving device. When, as may be the case in the transmission of intelligible signals, the circuit A is periodically closed and opened, the effect upon the receiver is heightened in the manner above described not only because the impulses in the coils B and B' are strengthened, but also on account of their persistence through a longer interval of time. The advantages offered by the invention are still more fully realized when the circuit A of the transmitter instead of having impulses of an arbitrary frequency impressed upon it is itself permitted to vibrate at its own rate, and more particularly so if it be energized by the freely-oscillating high-frequency discharges of a condenser. In such a case the cooling of the conductor A, which may be effected in any suitable manner, results in an extraordinary magnification of the oscillation in the resonating-circuit B, which I attribute to the increased intensity as well as greater number of the high-frequency oscillations obtained in the circuit A. The receiving-coil B' is energized stronger in proportion and induces currents of greater intensity in the circuit A'. It is evident from the above that the greater the number of the freely-vibrating circuits which alternately receive and transmit energy from one to another the greater, relatively, will be the gain secured by applying my invention.
                      Last edited by MonsieurM; 11-16-2011, 11:23 AM.
                      Signs and symbols rule the world, not words nor laws.” -Confucius.

Comment

• Out of the Loop

Out of the Loop

I'm going to be out of the loop for a while. I'm still in the game but contributing on the forum takes a lot of time and I need to do some other things with regard to this project. I need to go back and arrange and study all my notes for one thing and that's going to take some time. Also, this is a very busy time of year for me around the house.

So, it would be nice if some of you lurkers started contributing a little here. This is a great device and I think we have proven that it is viable. So, please contribute here.

Chet is also out of the loop, so this thread will die quickly if some of the rest of you don't help here.

Thanks Ramset/Chet, Jason, Gordon, Daemonbart, Duncan, and a few of the rest of you who have helped here.

I didn't mention Ramset earlier because I thought it was generally known that he was the main force responsible for keeping this thread alive.
                        Last edited by Slovenia; 11-17-2011, 10:35 AM. Reason: Added A Line

Comment

• Having to much fun

S
                          This is way to cool!!
                          As men It is our nature to want to take care of a woman and our families!!
                          To provide a safe Haven!!
                          It is also in our Nature To create ,improve etc..........

For most of my life I did things like this for other people so they could make more money .
                          Now I do it For all the people so they can have better lives [me too] .
                          I get to do the thing I love ,plus I get to give back to " US"!!

The thing that has really woken me up here ,is the tests, there is no
                          "Gee it feels warmer" "Look at those bubbles"" It must be Magic""

NO NO We have Data , we have Good Data , plus we get to race ....... Compete!!
                          Create ,Improve !! and the best part of all I CAN DO THIS!!

And so can you fellahs!!

Feels good!!

I doubt very much that I will be taking to much Of a Brake here!!

A few days Of getting things focused around here....

Thanks
                          Chet
                          PS
                          Sorry for any spelling mistakes ,My home PC has no Spell check ,and the Secy's always wrote My results and test reports!
                          So I am a poor speller and sentence writer![but I sure Can Talk!! :- }
                          Last edited by RAMSET; 11-16-2011, 03:50 PM.
                          BE that change !!

Comment

• You Are A Doer

Hi Chet,

Great to hear from you. You are a doer and that is much more important than writing skills and/or spelling. You get the job done and you get folks enthused in the process. Thanks for all you have done. We couldn't have got this far without your help and enthusiasm. Thanks!!!

Best Regards,
                            Slovenia

Originally posted by RAMSET View Post
                            S
                            This is way to cool!!
                            As men It is our nature to want to take care of a woman and our families!!
                            To provide a safe Haven!!
                            It is also in our Nature To create ,improve etc..........

For most of my life I did things like this for other people so they could make more money .
                            Now I do it For all the people so they can have better lives [me too] .
                            I get to do the thing I love ,plus I get to give back to " US"!!

The thing that has really woken me up here ,is the tests, there is no
                            "Gee it feels warmer" "Look at those bubbles"" It must be Magic""

NO NO We have Data , we have Good Data , plus we get to race ....... Compete!!
                            Create ,Improve !! and the best part of all I CAN DO THIS!!

And so can you fellahs!!

Feels good!!

I doubt very much that I will be taking to much Of a Brake here!!

A few days Of getting things focused around here....

Thanks
                            Chet
                            PS
                            Sorry for any spelling mistakes ,My home PC has no Spell check ,and the Secy's always wrote My results and test reports!
                            So I am a poor speller and sentence writer![but I sure Can Talk!! :- }

Comment

• Going to 1 Liter tests

S
                              I'm going to be shrinking the Tank size down to 1 liter [savic device]

The can will fit very nicely into a piece of 4" PVC
                              Thats My chassis ??

I will be sending your ring stretcher today [not the broken one] ,it works good at the size it was designed for [savic device] it also has a fringe benefit of trueing up the circle !
                              I'll be starting my day a bit earlier so I can do Experiments and get a baseline on Savic [in one liter water]
                              I have to catch up to you and Jason On this one!!

Gonna Kick Your Buts.....................
                              Everyones a winner here!!

Your friend
                              Chet
                              BE that change !!

Comment

• Its been a pleasure!

I'm going to be out of the loop for a while. I'm still in the game but contributing on the forum takes a lot of time and I need to do some other things with regard to this project. I need to go back and arrange and study all my notes for one thing and that's going to take some time. Also, this is a very busy time of year for me around the house.

So, it would be nice if some of you lurkers started contributing a little here. This is a great device and I think we have proven that it is viable. So, please contribute here.

Chet is also out of the loop, so this thread will die quickly if some of the rest of you don't help here.

Thanks Jason, Gordon, Daemonbart, Duncan, and a few of the rest of you who have helped here.[/QUOTE]

Can't help wondering ….. as the current draw (and so power consumption) drops right down when boiling consider using (and I'm not sure if this will work because I had a variac in mind) a Dimmer switch on the feed and adjusting the power such that the system is just boiling and also throttle the circulation to a very slow rate so that the optimum boiling position can just be held.
                                Slovenia .. Its been a great thread and I’ve enjoyed my little bit of interaction. Its been fun as well! and has really achieved! Well moderated
                                PS one of the dreams someone had on this thread has opened a really big issue truly It goes on and on

"So nat'ralists observe, a flea
                                Hath smaller fleas that on him prey,
                                And these have smaller fleas that bite 'em,
                                And so proceed ad infinitum."
                                Last edited by Duncan; 11-16-2011, 10:49 PM.
                                Whatever you can do,or dream you can,begin it.Boldness has genius,power and magic in it.Begin it now.

Comment

Working...
                                X