No announcement yet.

Donald Smith Devices too good to be true

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• was the 32A video build output AC or DC?

Originally posted by mr.clean View Post
    Yes how could i have missed those lol, the diodes can be the deal maker or breaker, i strung together 30 1000v 3amp ultrafast recovery diodes, and they failed to rectify the output of L2s,
    .....i almost gave up and didnt think it worked....
    then i switched to the 30kv20mA diodes from amazing1.com, 2 parallel on both ends of L2, and BINGO!

But... The power in the caps will eventually explode the diodes if you arent drawing from the caps

And the cap in your pic prob will not be labelled + or - these caps are very close to what Tesla mightve used, they are plates of equal dimensions, submerged in oil. Not polarized like standard electrolytics.

I dont think they play any role in tuning, so any HV caps with the right voltage rating will give you the smoothing without arcing internally.
    I also noticed that it mattered that the wires to the caps came from both directions, otherwise the HV favours the first cap and arc internally, and nothing charges.
    So if you have resonance, and you are properly rectifying the output, you will have the board that Don was holding in his hands
    That being said, that is what most of us here are wanting to know if it works, hehe myself included, it seems it does not work as Don presented it, but like he said "the smart ones will figure it out" so by making a small change to primary circuit...
    ...suddenly.... it DOES charge the caps, and in a resonant condition, much more effectively than without resonance, THAT is the gain. Not to draw from the source, but draw from the resonant L2s
    Mr. Clean-
    was the output on dons board and your build in video 32A both DC? I thought both outputs were AC. was that the purpose of your L2s diodes to rectify to DC? Im puzzled now. your comments would be well received! thanks again, mike- onward!

Comment

• Originally posted by clarence View Post
      Mr. Clean-
      was the output on dons board and your build in video 32A both DC? I thought both outputs were AC. was that the purpose of your L2s diodes to rectify to DC? Im puzzled now. your comments would be well received! thanks again, mike- onward!
      well you're right... on both. and you're not as confused as you think
      Yes my goal is to have the AC from the L2 coils rectified to DC for the caps.

Fully charged you would have basically a 2000v 10uF battery.
      The only prob with that is how to safely use it ? not a bad problem,but still.

obviously right now im working on the solution to that, the resonant stepdown transformer, to stepdown the high turn coils i tuned in earlier vid 27.

i think i need to match the frequency for both step up and down, so that will be another little fun demo to show.

Im out of the sweet little 10kv 5nF caps i need, but i will soon show a vid with both configurations running together (if it works) otherwise i'll just use the stepdown coils im using right now.

i may have to check back to some fundamentals here, but im pretty sure that the reason you put a cap in parallel to the output is for smoothing the pulsing ripple, and it keeps transients from damaging your load / sensitive devices.

the caps are really the only way to take advantage of the high frequency and deal with the raw output voltage from the L2 coils, and yes you could use the AC right off the coils, BUT you want to smooth the output ripples, and lower voltage for proper use, so caps not having internal resistance like a battery, are the way to go...
      so then you have DC... but you really want stable low voltage AC for use/clean pure sine inverted DC...hehe

seems like a run-around, but i think it really is the most direct way to capture, lower and use. and i may not even use the HV diodes and caps if i can go straight to stepdown coils and just use the low volt high capacity caps

the thing is... and its a major thing... that you have the output power from L2 BEFORE you try to fill up caps and expect a bunch of unexplained power to come out hehe there is nothing extra in the caps, and nothing unexplained.

i realize you prob know this, but people must understand that you will not be able to draw more than the L2s are providing, there is no magic inside the caps, you can keep adding farads all you want, but if the power isnt there, you will deplete the caps very fast and be left with the real output.
      And trust me, the loose coupling and no resonance... is just total crap, and will satisfy the cop-out skeptics who say "it wont work".

So make sure you really are in tune, by cycles per second, AND the intonation (by length and surface area of conductor aka 1/4 length and equal weight) yes its a brain buster, but is just means that at the highest octave and the lowest octave are still the same note (the even multiples of the fundamental chosen frequency)

And the "equal weight" is not entirely accurate, because of whats known as the skin effect, the inside of the conductor is not used at these radio frequencies, and are essentially "free" of the restraints of the wires...
      SO it is more accurate to say "surface area copper" thats why you could actually have a massively heavy primary, but it will only be used to "skin" the outside of it, it doesnt matter how heavy, its how much area is available

And nothing sets wavelength better than PHYSICAL wire length, thus the importance if 1/4. i always go to the guitar string example, as sound is a part of the wave spectrum and subject to all things that would imply, the strings on a guitar must be a certain length, and a certain thickness to be relative to one-another

and the caps are just to capture the HV and HF at the first stage, before it returns to ambient, (vibration/cycling of L2 stops)

many people will be disappointed by this, but bottom line is, the caps are more for smoothing the pulsing DC, and you want to see the appropriate voltage rated bulb lit by the expected output before you add caps.

and keep in mind that you will be using DC so use DC bulbs for testing and dont use much higher wattage than you are using on the input, a dim 200 watt bulb is no help to knowing what is happening, but starting with a 20 watt bulb, and then adding them in series and/or parallel, you can get a great handle on what is happening.
      Another thing is obviously AC bulbs are designed for AC, and we will be storing the energy as DC, 12v halogens seem to be great, and easy to compare to a full wattage bulb.

So the good thing is,
      ...you can tune it for resonance,
      and the bad thing is,
      ... you have to tune it for resonance

jeez long message, but i feel its all relevant, and ALL from experience. hope it helps
      Last edited by mr.clean; 07-25-2012, 08:27 AM.
      In the beginner's mind, there are many possibilities.
      In the expert's mind there are few.
      -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

• In my case the wallwart is 230v and gives a 9v output.

If you would pulse a 120v walwart with 196v pulses, the output would be doubled, 26v in my schematics.

I don't think there would be any problems feeding the primary 196v pulses and the winding can take it.

That would then be a 13:1 transformer overvolted by 63%.

Comment

• Mr. Clean -great info and content!

Mr. Clean,

your info post was excellent and to the points as each was stated. appreciated! I comprehend your stated coming experiments and will watch for them. I will pull up video 27 to observe it - thanks. in my vertical L1 - L2 build as soon as my reasonance issue is complete, I will first tap off of L-2 at a lower turn point ( couple of turns to provide 120 v ac) and parallel it with the appropriate resistor value determined by the uh value of a 120 v ac Isolation transformer (3amp small unit) input winding so as to reduce my 42.5 khz to 60 hz and then run this to a outlet receptace as a test point for any type regular ac devices (bulbs-etc. , whatever will not exceed the amp value of test transformer). this just to prove two things- Dons statement about blocking frequency values to 60hz with a parallel resistor, and to demonstrate amperage availability. I want to ascertain these proofs before hooking up my large 25kva drytype transformer to my expected 2400 v ac L-2 output.

My L2 is a #12 BW coil and will handle 20 amp backload with ease. the 25kva transformer willoutput 120-240 with safe 108amp load on each leg. the L2 20 amps will step up to 200amps as the 2400v steps down to 120-240. I shall see. thanks again for your efforts- know they are appreciated. mike, onward!

Comment

• Don Smith - Inventors Weekend 2005

Originally posted by atta View Post
            Hi
            Harish
            this link was working 3 hrs ago.but not now.Any other way of watching these DVDs?

thanks for sharing
            Hi Atta,
            I have only the last 15 min segment of this presentation which was in my cache. You can download this from Don Smith - Inventors Weekend 2005 on Vimeo.

I wasn't taking notes. Earlier Don talked about a piezoelectric device which he made for a Japanese corp and a host of other devices.

There is another video on the net of his demo which he refers in this video as well.

Regards,
            HS

Comment

Mr. Clean,

your info post was excellent and to the points as each was stated. appreciated! I comprehend your stated coming experiments and will watch for them. I will pull up video 27 to observe it - thanks. in my vertical L1 - L2 build as soon as my reasonance issue is complete, I will first tap off of L-2 at a lower turn point ( couple of turns to provide 120 v ac) and parallel it with the appropriate resistor value determined by the uh value of a 120 v ac Isolation transformer (3amp small unit) input winding so as to reduce my 42.5 khz to 60 hz and then run this to a outlet receptace as a test point for any type regular ac devices (bulbs-etc. , whatever will not exceed the amp value of test transformer). this just to prove two things- Dons statement about blocking frequency values to 60hz with a parallel resistor, and to demonstrate amperage availability. I want to ascertain these proofs before hooking up my large 25kva drytype transformer to my expected 2400 v ac L-2 output.

My L2 is a #12 BW coil and will handle 20 amp backload with ease. the 25kva transformer willoutput 120-240 with safe 108amp load on each leg. the L2 20 amps will step up to 200amps as the 2400v steps down to 120-240. I shall see. thanks again for your efforts- know they are appreciated. mike, onward!
              Ok cool, but not sure what u mean by 108amp load lol, i know im not there yet hehe.

I understand that u want to "prove this thing out" but if i was intent from the start on trying to prove it wrong... ex: the scientific "way" .....

Then i wouldve given up long ago, there are many small details that can be missed

....But i was so set on it working...that , despite the primary shown on Dons board, and the constant discouragement, i am now...after a year... seeing some very exciting stuff, seemingly FULL wattage with about half the power going in.

But... With my amateur knowledge, it took a year of electrocution and hooking up wrong connections that didnt work
              So just be patient.

Granted its not doing kilowatts, but until recently... There were no watts LOL
              So all i can say is that its possible to at least get the results im getting, and most likely more.

And keep in mind that im only putting in 9 to 11.25 watts (45vac @ 250ma)
              ....what if i turned this up to 120vac @ the 2 or 3 amp range.......???

Hehe yup. I dont know about you, but that makes me excited to want to see.

All you do is turn up the volts, and adjust the sparkgap wider, and you will see more power, i lost a few bulbs, ....and that is a sign of having power. Accurate measurements to come

I like what youre thinking about the 120 - 240, do u mean input or the stepped down output? but do that after the resonant coils, OR have another cap bank for the different tunings, cause the tuning will change if you tap different spots on the resonant secondary. Or possibly use a different operating freq, a little higher freq if the shorter coil cause the inductance will then be lower.

Dynatron has a huge output transformer with 12 24 120 240v taps i think, from one of his vids, but its AFTER the resonant coils
              Last edited by mr.clean; 07-25-2012, 05:09 PM.
              -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave45 View Post
                I suppose component values would change using 120 v 60 cycles as we use here in the US.
                I wonder they sell international adapters to run appliances I know they change the voltage but do they also change the frequency.
                I'm sure you can find some 230 volt adapters at many places. Dealextreme.com is one. Since this circuit is powered by a battery all you need are correct ratio transformers I believe.

Thanks for sharing this circuit janost! I wonder if it would be good to start a separate message thread for this and replications of it? It would keep it from getting lost in the Don Smith thread and also so those focused on Don's circuit don't have to read through these posts. Maybe copy all your posts to an opening post? I've got all your posts in a file along with Gyula's post which I think is very relevant.

While we are still here (if you decide to move this) can you provide any specs on the SCR? Thanks!
                Last edited by ewizard; 07-25-2012, 05:28 PM.
                There is no important work, there are only a series of moments to demonstrate your mastery and impeccability. Quote from Almine

Comment

• Originally posted by harishsingh View Post
                  Hi Atta,
                  I have only the last 15 min segment of this presentation which was in my cache. You can download this from Don Smith - Inventors Weekend 2005 on Vimeo.

I wasn't taking notes. Earlier Don talked about a piezoelectric device which he made for a Japanese corp and a host of other devices.

There is another video on the net of his demo which he refers in this video as well.

Regards,
                  HS
                  Mad mad mad . Who posted this beautiful video and didn't let me download it ?

Comment

• More Donald Smith Videos?

Originally posted by harishsingh View Post
                    Hi Atta,

Regards,
                    HS
                    Thanks for posting this link.I had no idea other videos where available.

I have already downloaded that portion and HUNGRILY await DVDs 1 and 2.....

Like bogulaw,I can't get to the video link by harinsingh,Sir, please post working em again as soon as you can.Thanks in advance and again thanks to those who posted the 2001 conference many posts ago,I am still in awe.

My very best regards,
                    Ged
                    Last edited by Gedfire; 07-25-2012, 08:13 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Clean - added info!

Ok cool, but not sure what u mean by 108amp load lol, i know im not there yet hehe.

I understand that u want to "prove this thing out" but if i was intent from the start on trying to prove it wrong... ex: the scientific "way" .....

Then i wouldve given up long ago, there are many small details that can be missed

....But i was so set on it working...that , despite the primary shown on Dons board, and the constant discouragement, i am now...after a year... seeing some very exciting stuff, seemingly FULL wattage with about half the power going in.

But... With my amateur knowledge, it took a year of electrocution and hooking up wrong connections that didnt work
                      So just be patient.

Granted its not doing kilowatts, but until recently... There were no watts LOL
                      So all i can say is that its possible to at least get the results im getting, and most likely more.

And keep in mind that im only putting in 9 to 11.25 watts (45vac @ 250ma)
                      ....what if i turned this up to 120vac @ the 2 or 3 amp range.......???

Hehe yup. I dont know about you, but that makes me excited to want to see.

All you do is turn up the volts, and adjust the sparkgap wider, and you will see more power, i lost a few bulbs, ....and that is a sign of having power. Accurate measurements to come

I like what youre thinking about the 120 - 240, do u mean input or the stepped down output? but do that after the resonant coils, OR have another cap bank for the different tunings, cause the tuning will change if you tap different spots on the resonant secondary. Or possibly use a different operating freq, a little higher freq if the shorter coil cause the inductance will then be lower.

Dynatron has a huge output transformer with 12 24 120 240v taps i think, from one of his vids, but its AFTER the resonant coils
                      Mr. Clean-

my prove scenario is a positive direction always! I leave the negative to magnets and batts. I jumped out of the pp box (patience & perseverance) back in 1982 when I began FE experiments on my sole efforts by way of the dead mainstream thought process in the solenoidmagnetic means and fought that battle for years and then just blatantly mauled my way into the MDGT box (MAMOUTH DETERMINATION-GET THERE) and never looked back! the Tesla, Smith, Moray,TH Brown, etc. venue was an instant breath of fresh air!

the reasonant full turns on my L2 (42.8) is scheduled to be the input to my 25kvar dry type transformer. hehe- by MDGT I purchased this used rebuilt transformer from EMSCO 3 or four years ago because I purposed it to the size of my needs and since then all of my efforts have been reverse engineering aka get there from here. the uh value of its primary windings will determine the resistor value I put across the primary to receive the 60 hz freq needed for mains to my residence. the 108 amps is the EMSCO max rated amp handling value for each main leg and yes the full reasonant output from L2 will be the input to this transformer.

the smal turn TAP I will put at the bottom of my vertical L2 will only be used initially to test progress and will never be used when the 2400/120/240 is active. the resistor across the small test turn trans and the later resistor across the full reasonant input from L2 will both be sized according to their respective uh values of their respective input windings. the tap being inactive should not affect the reasonant frequency of L2 and if it does I will adjust the cap of L2 as needed.

and you thought you were long winded hehe! semperfi,mike onward!

BTW the out put from L2 is 2400v@20amp - power potential 48kw - Ill only be using24kw because of 100 amp rating for mains trans legs.
                      Last edited by clarence; 07-25-2012, 08:28 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

• 2000v to 12 volts step down.

well you're right... on both. and you're not as confused as you think
                        Yes my goal is to have the AC from the L2 coils rectified to DC for the caps.

Fully charged you would have basically a 2000v 10uF battery.
                        The only prob with that is how to safely use it ? not a bad problem,but still.
                        Here's the answer:
                        Obtain a 12 volt 22000 microfarad capacitor.( ie electrolytic or DC)
                        Attach in parallel to your 2000v cap system.
                        Put a 12 volt zener diode and matching resistor across the 12 volt capacitor
                        and BINGO!
                        The only thing you have to worry about is high voltage or static bleed over onto the 12 volt cap. You can use virtual earths or real earths to remove the high volts: or you can recycle the power.
                        The 12 volt cap will need to be conditioned for maximum speed of charging.
                        Then you can hopefully loop the loop..................
                        Last edited by a.king21; 07-26-2012, 12:27 AM.

Comment

• good suggestion

Originally posted by ewizard View Post
                          I'm sure you can find some 230 volt adapters at many places. Dealextreme.com is one. Since this circuit is powered by a battery all you need are correct ratio transformers I believe.

Thanks for sharing this circuit janost! I wonder if it would be good to start a separate message thread for this and replications of it? It would keep it from getting lost in the Don Smith thread and also so those focused on Don's circuit don't have to read through these posts. Maybe copy all your posts to an opening post? I've got all your posts in a file along with Gyula's post which I think is very relevant.

While we are still here (if you decide to move this) can you provide any specs on the SCR? Thanks!
                          great one man, i too love to see all different schematics, it is a real mix here...
                          which i love too, cause otherwise i'd miss them

but it would be sweet to have its own replication thread! since it is totally different circuit

i personally dont mind off topic and enjoy all info, but good call.

Surely tho it must already have a thread if it does what is claimed?
                          Anyway cool stuff, i'm putting it on my infintely long and ever growing "to do" list
                          -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

Mr. Clean-

my prove scenario is a positive direction always! I leave the negative to magnets and batts. I jumped out of the pp box (patience & perseverance) back in 1982 when I began FE experiments on my sole efforts by way of the dead mainstream thought process in the solenoidmagnetic means and fought that battle for years and then just blatantly mauled my way into the MDGT box (MAMOUTH DETERMINATION-GET THERE) and never looked back! the Tesla, Smith, Moray,TH Brown, etc. venue was an instant breath of fresh air!

the reasonant full turns on my L2 (42.8) is scheduled to be the input to my 25kvar dry type transformer. hehe- by MDGT I purchased this used rebuilt transformer from EMSCO 3 or four years ago because I purposed it to the size of my needs and since then all of my efforts have been reverse engineering aka get there from here. the uh value of its primary windings will determine the resistor value I put across the primary to receive the 60 hz freq needed for mains to my residence. the 108 amps is the EMSCO max rated amp handling value for each main leg and yes the full reasonant output from L2 will be the input to this transformer.

the smal turn TAP I will put at the bottom of my vertical L2 will only be used initially to test progress and will never be used when the 2400/120/240 is active. the resistor across the small test turn trans and the later resistor across the full reasonant input from L2 will both be sized according to their respective uh values of their respective input windings. the tap being inactive should not affect the reasonant frequency of L2 and if it does I will adjust the cap of L2 as needed.

and you thought you were long winded hehe! semperfi,mike onward!

BTW the out put from L2 is 2400v@20amp - power potential 48kw - Ill only be using24kw because of 100 amp rating for mains trans legs.
                            hehe cool man, cant wait to see your success! let me know
                            And im thinking if you change the taps on L2, that maybe you should use another L1, to accomodate the different lengths.

and if you really have 2400v at 20 amps right now, then i'd LOVE to see that on video if you have enough bulbs hehe
                            Last edited by mr.clean; 07-26-2012, 03:44 AM.
                            -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

• Originally posted by a.king21 View Post
                              Here's the answer:
                              Obtain a 12 volt 22000 microfarad capacitor.( ie electrolytic or DC)
                              Attach in parallel to your 2000v cap system.
                              Put a 12 volt zener diode and matching resistor across the 12 volt capacitor
                              and BINGO!
                              The only thing you have to worry about is high voltage or static bleed over onto the 12 volt cap. You can use virtual earths or real earths to remove the high volts: or you can recycle the power.
                              The 12 volt cap will need to be conditioned for maximum speed of charging.
                              Then you can hopefully loop the loop..................
                              That's very interesting, so the 12 v cap wont arc internally from the 2000 v across it with the zeners?
                              or favour the 12 v cap and still arc internally?

That would be really cool if it can be that simple, ok i'll try that, but i'll have to set up the high volt coils again, soon
                              -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

• Originally posted by Gedfire View Post
                                Thanks for posting this link.I had no idea other videos where available.

I have already downloaded that portion and HUNGRILY await DVDs 1 and 2.....

Like bogulaw,I can't get to the video link by harinsingh,Sir, please post working em again as soon as you can.Thanks in advance and again thanks to those who posted the 2001 conference many posts ago,I am still in awe.

My very best regards,
                                Ged
                                Hi Ged and Boguslaw,
                                I can see the link is working fine. You can also download this last 15 min segment of Don's presentation from Don Smith - Inventors Weekend 2005.

If I recall correctly, there is another short segment of this presentation somewhere on youtube. ( found it here: Smith2005_0001.wmv - YouTube)

If you are looking for other videos from this DVD set, that link from dropbox has been taken offline since my post here two days ago. I first learnt about this from Sanlimon (sorry if mistranslated ) on the Don Smith thread. Perhaps he can help.

Regards,
                                HS
                                Last edited by harishsingh; 07-26-2012, 05:02 AM. Reason: extra link added

Comment

Working...
                                X