No announcement yet.

Lockridge Device - Peter Lindemann

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is 1950's Delco Remy 6v generator from a John Deere. The guy is trying to
    convert it to 12 volt. Look at the picture of the coils.

JDcrawlers Messageboard :: View topic - Delco-Remy 1101859 6 volt generator

George

Comment

• generators and starters

For you guys that think it would be easier to convert an old generator there are plenty of them on ebay. Another idea might be to convert one that is already a starter generator. The old Cub Cadet lawn and garden tractors used a combination starter generator. It was used to start the tractor and then used to charge the battery. I see on ebay where Yamaha is also using something like that on their golf carts. Some of them are as cheap as $40 for a good used one.

Carroll
      Just because someone disagrees with you does NOT make them your enemy. We can disagree without attacking someone.

Comment

• Thanks Cifta

Originally posted by citfta View Post
        For you guys that think it would be easier to convert an old generator there are plenty of them on ebay. Another idea might be to convert one that is already a starter generator. The old Cub Cadet lawn and garden tractors used a combination starter generator. It was used to start the tractor and then used to charge the battery. I see on ebay where Yamaha is also using something like that on their golf carts. Some of them are as cheap as $40 for a good used one.

Carroll
        The starter generator does sound like a good idea.

George

Comment

• Thanks guys for the info, lets just say these generators are not here in SE Asia. yes they do look like they are good candidates.

I would be interested to know the ratio between the motor coils and the generator coils

Comment

• There are no separate motor coils and generator coils. The armature is wound with heavier wire than would be used for a regular generator. Full voltage is applied to the field coils and the armature to start the engine and it turns the engine using the heavy v-belt that is also used to turn the generator when the engine is running. When the engine is running a regular mechanical voltage regulator is used to control the current going to the field coils which controls how much voltage is generated by the armature coils. Since this is used as a generator maybe the armature coils are already wound the way you want them to be. I worked on a lot of these when I used to work on lawn and garden and farm machinery, but I don't remember how the armature was wound. Maybe with some research we could find out. I wish I had thought of this several months ago. It may have saved some time and effort looking for a suitable device to convert.

Carroll
            Just because someone disagrees with you does NOT make them your enemy. We can disagree without attacking someone.

Comment

• Originally posted by mbrownn View Post
              Thanks guys for the info, lets just say these generators are not here in SE Asia. yes they do look like they are good candidates.

I would be interested to know the ratio between the motor coils and the generator coils
              Mbrown, I have at leat five of these iv been working with. The motor coil is quite good size about 4 inches wide andabout 5.5 inches tall. The feild charge coil may be larger too. The motor coil uses flat normal starter windingflat copper. The feildcoil is larger in the sense it isnt as compact as the stock GM generator, more spread out along the edge of the feild poles. The armature is basically the same same number of bars and slots. The winding on the armature is a little heavier than normal generators. They also hav thick brushes made out of copper. Brushes are at least one quarter of an inch thick. Dont know the ratio of winds from one to another.

Comment

• starter-generators

What I have done in the past is to take a starter coil from an older 6-12 volt and put in the stock Gm generator. This does about the same as the starter generator combination. These will also motorise with just one motor coil . No other coils connected by putting the motor coil under the negative brush. One wire to the power in put and the other wire to the positive brush. the negative is grounde to the case. depending which way you want it to turn.

Ther is enough room to put other brushes in the case if you have some extra ground brush holders or modify the pos brush holder. the pos holders are to long and have to be shortend to get on the right comm section you need.

These starter generators will spin up to any where from 4000-6500 rpms depending what size starter feild coil and feild pole you put in them.

What did you mean for sure about the ratio, was that the number of turns for each coil.

Comment

• Shorting commutator to case

Mbrownn, I did manage to get time to slot the generator case on the brush end of the case , so the brushes can be moved 180 degrees if needed. there is a spot where the dc and voltage picks up. Dc 20 volts - ac 40 volts off that one only on commutator section, thats is where the voltage is the highest on the pos side of the armature. The negative side drops down to 8-10 volts. that is the 5th comm segment from the pos brush going against rotation. The other sections lower the voltage.

I did connect a 12 volt heater fan to that section and it picks up and spins like a normal fan would connecting across a battery.

When i was checking with the volt meter to find the highest voltage spot a I grounded the comm bar out to the case and the motor picked up in rpms. I checked this quite a few times the rpm gain was 722-873 rpms. So i connected a 12 volt heater motor fan to the brush i had added to see what would happen. the heater motor picked up and run like normal, but was strange was that the starter generator picked up in speed too. never checked rpm gain at that time though.

Going to do some checking today to see whats is going on. Now if i put a 12 volt bulb on the generator coil it just about stops the starter generator.
                  But when i put it on the comm section it gets bright white and rpm picks up. There is absolutely 20v-dc---40v ac. Some times up ti 48 volts ac. I rechecked this many times.

Comment

• Hiwater

This sounds like what is happening in the three battery generating system. The
                    increase in RPM's when the load is added. Somehow the same principle is at work here. The drawing in of more radiant energy or something. The original
                    Lockridge device used a 300 watt load, either a light bulb or small 300 watt
                    heater. This load is an important component of the overall system. Sounds like
                    all that is needed in your setup now is the right capacitor with the correct connections and you have the Lockridge device solved.

George

Comment

• Originally posted by FRC View Post
                      This sounds like what is happening in the three battery generating system. The
                      increase in RPM's when the load is added. Somehow the same principle is at work here. The drawing in of more radiant energy or something. The original
                      Lockridge device used a 300 watt load, either a light bulb or small 300 watt
                      heater. This load is an important component of the overall system. Sounds like
                      all that is needed in your setup now is the right capacitor with the correct connections and you have the Lockridge device solved.

George
                      The negative brush has to be on a certain commutator bar for that to happen. Other places it wont work just slows down the motor. From what ive found the load has to be an inductive load for it to work better. Lots to work out yet.

Comment

• m-g commutator bars.

I neglected to mention that the commutator bars in the starter generator are just a little wider than the one-quarter inch brush. These are wide segments for the starter portion of the armature. Instead of 2 wires on each bar there are 4. I was wrong in my explanation this am. So hope this helps. Lots of bemf. Iv had sparks come off them the half size of a dime, when iwas omitting some of the slots for pulsing. Sounded like a john deere when it was spinning.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hiwater View Post
                          Mbrownn, I did manage to get time to slot the generator case on the brush end of the case , so the brushes can be moved 180 degrees if needed. there is a spot where the dc and voltage picks up. Dc 20 volts - ac 40 volts off that one only on commutator section, thats is where the voltage is the highest on the pos side of the armature. The negative side drops down to 8-10 volts. that is the 5th comm segment from the pos brush going against rotation. The other sections lower the voltage.

I did connect a 12 volt heater fan to that section and it picks up and spins like a normal fan would connecting across a battery.

When i was checking with the volt meter to find the highest voltage spot a I grounded the comm bar out to the case and the motor picked up in rpms. I checked this quite a few times the rpm gain was 722-873 rpms. So i connected a 12 volt heater motor fan to the brush i had added to see what would happen. the heater motor picked up and run like normal, but was strange was that the starter generator picked up in speed too. never checked rpm gain at that time though.

Going to do some checking today to see whats is going on. Now if i put a 12 volt bulb on the generator coil it just about stops the starter generator.
                          But when i put it on the comm section it gets bright white and rpm picks up. There is absolutely 20v-dc---40v ac. Some times up ti 48 volts ac. I rechecked this many times.
                          Im trying to visualize what you are doing, can you draw it?

Is there continuity between all the commutator segments?

Comment

• Brush mounting

The brush holders on these delco generators are mounted to the case on one end of the generator housing with rivets. What is did was mark the original position of the brush holders and remove the rivete to get the brush holders out. then used a chop saw to cut slots around the circumfrence of the housing, leaving enough material to still keep the end on without cutting it completely off. This leaves plenty of room to move the brushes most any where you want. Hope this clears that up for you.

The commutator has continuity to each slot all the way around the circumfrence. I think the older 1950 delco were the same as these. some were shorter and longer case. The older fords were set up the same way , but the feild was internally grounded to the case not through the regulator. I will try to get my hand on an early model delco to check out the difference. Most of the early ford 6volt had more feild coil windings. They were shorter feilds with shorter feild poles. The resistance might have been the same i dont know.

Comment

• Yanaha Golf Cart starter Generator

Here is a link to the Starter Generator parts.
                              https://www.cartszone.com/catalog/ca...rchresults.htm

Comment

• Here is my first entry into the winding competition

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx...P_Obl1yX4P7tJs
                                Last edited by mbrownn; 03-07-2012, 03:18 PM. Reason: Forgot the link

Comment

Working...
                                X