No announcement yet.

Self running coil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gyula, Thanks again for the explanations. I have one more question and it's probably going to show my lack of knowledge on how some of the components work but I was concerned when Luc decided it was 'back to the drawing board' when using a 10k resistor in between the timer circuit. My thoughts on that: is it possible that reduces the output so much that the MosFET isn't getting enough signal strength for it to trigger? My other thought is when the voltage went negative in the cap - that seemed to indicate to my understanding that the circuit wasn't getting voltage from the timer circuit but I'm probably just confused - LOL - nothing new there . I'm really just shooting in the dark here on these thoughts but had hopes for this circuit. I still think there are some things going on based on Luc's tests that call for more experimentation with this essential circuit. I plan on giving it a try when I get the IRF640's.

rave154, just a couple thoughts based on what you posted. Are you getting a gap in between the neo and the coil? It looks like Luc had around 1/8" or 2 or 3mm or so and it looks like that was fairly critical since he was fine tuning it with paper gaps beyond the plexiglas. I would also guess the coil size may have something to do with the frequency it resonates at so maybe yours is in a much higher frequency?
    There is no important work, there are only a series of moments to demonstrate your mastery and impeccability. Quote from Almine

Comment

Originally posted by ewizard View Post
      My thoughts on that: is it possible that reduces the output so much that the MosFET isn't getting enough signal strength for it to trigger?
      Hi Ewizard,

Yes, the series 10 kOhm is already a high enough resistance to divide down the output of the 555, below the threshold gate-source voltage. And than the FET is just a capacitance at its gate-source path, also a (coupling) capacitance via its gate-drain path and also a capacitance across its drain-source path.

My other thought is when the voltage went negative in the cap - that seemed to indicate to my understanding that the circuit wasn't getting voltage from the timer circuit
      Well, it was still getting the pulses from the 555 but when Luc removed the magnets, the toroidal coil went up to the 1 Henry value from its 44mH tuned value and the resonance was over, hence the puffer capacitor started to discharge due to the current increase. Why did the current increase? Because the resonant impedance which prevented high current flow till then, suddenly got reduced to a much lower value. (Resonant LC tank circuits always have a high impedance that is why they have higher voltage across them and receive small current from a source.)
      Notice that I would not say the voltage went negative in the cap, for me this is misleading, because it did not change polarity. It is better to say the voltage decreased to a lower value.

rgds, Gyula

Comment

Originally posted by gyula View Post
        Hi Ewizard,

< snip
        Notice that I would not say the voltage went negative in the cap, for me this is misleading, because it did not change polarity. It is better to say the voltage decreased to a lower value.

rgds, Gyula
        Thanks again for the explanations and bearing with me on some of these newbie questions (or maybe more like so much an oldie I've forgotten a lot ). Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing above I'm referring to the brief point in the video where the voltmeter across the big caps did show a negative value on the meter as it went below zero although by a very small amount but it was showing -0.01 volts (not sure on the exact value without watching the vid again) or so and seemed to be going further negative as it appeared the cap was an electrolytic and was reverse charging? That was curious to me and I wonder how far it would have gone if Luc had not hooked things back up as before.
        Not to completely change subject here but do you know if anyone has ever tried putting a Tritium vial in the middle of a bifilar toroid or in close proximity to one?
        There is no important work, there are only a series of moments to demonstrate your mastery and impeccability. Quote from Almine

Comment

complete details

Hi Luc,

Well CONGRATS! I am sure you have something. There you go ... grabbing my interest again.

If you could please take the time and detail 'specifically' your toroid coil for us (looking at it again and again until you're blue in the face)?. I know you used a 'split' coil from another experiment as you stated in vid #1 and tied things together (black wire). IOW, can you make a schematic of the EXACT coil, windings, directions and even the black wire ... not the coil's equivalent - please, please?

Can you also please post the complete, actual schematic of your setup? Again please, not its equivalent.

If these are already up then please direct me to the post(s). I'm going back an re-read all of the posts.

Greg

Comment

maybe not

Originally posted by gyula View Post
            @ewizard

At the ou forum Magluvin suggested Luc use a series 10 kOhm resistor between the output of the 555 and the MOSFET gate, to see if the energy to the toroidal coil comes from that direction. Luc answered:
            "Well, it's no go with the 10K resistor on the 555 output and the mosfet gate :P
            Back to the drawing board ;D
            Luc"
            --------------------------------------------------------------
            Gyula
            I'm not so sure. Has anyone tried placing a cap in parallel with the 10k resistor? I've used 640's a bunch of times. I've always tried to keep the (potential) gate current as small as possible and I'd put a big resistor to the gate but then I noticed it became a 'squishy' or rounded signal from whatever generator I was using so I would add a small cap parallel to the res. and that gave me my full turn-on, turn-off again. But I understand where we are with this right now.

I have been drawn to 'MEGs' for many years and really got interested in Sweet's work long ago (before internet) and then Bearden formalized it, patented it, JLN replicated it. Others replicated it. JLN shows COP>1, others say (bearden, craddock) that Sweets did not really work and that the most recent Bearden MEG (couple of years ago) actually doesn't work either.

If only Tesla's stuff didn't have all of those sparks. The 'Hairpin' circuit demos on YouTube sure are convincing. Maybe that's what it actually takes to crack the local field and let the radiant energy flow.

Keep Hoping,

Greg

Comment

LUC

just came across the "turbo encabulator" videos !!!!
              capacitive derantance

YouTube - Turbo Encabulator - Rockwell

Comment

Originally posted by ewizard View Post
                ... Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing above I'm referring to the brief point in the video where the voltmeter across the big caps did show a negative value on the meter as it went below zero although by a very small amount but it was showing -0.01 volts (not sure on the exact value without watching the vid again) or so and seemed to be going further negative as it appeared the cap was an electrolytic and was reverse charging? That was curious to me and I wonder how far it would have gone if Luc had not hooked things back up as before.
                Not to completely change subject here but do you know if anyone has ever tried putting a Tritium vial in the middle of a bifilar toroid or in close proximity to one?
                @Ewizard

Ok now I found in video part 2 what you have meant on the cap voltage going negative. I thought you meant part 3.
                Indeed it turned to negative 0.019V and was still increasing.
                My answer is I do not know for sure, sorry. The body diode between the drain source pins of the FET may be blamed for that.

No, I have not come across any news on someones putting a Tritium vial into a coil or toroid etc. If I recall Bruce Perreault was doing certain radioactive treatment in his so called ion valve, search for ion valve + his name. Also, there have been some older patents where such materials were used for enhancing certain features.

Gyula

Comment

Once again thanks for your expertise in helping me understand this. I look forward to getting my shop finished so I can start actually building some circuits again.

Yes I've been following Bruce Perreault's work as long as he's been on the Internet and in the late 90's he stayed at my house a couple days when he came to California for an energy convention. A tritium vial he showed me is what actually made me think of this. I think it may be possible to use as a sort of trigger for certain circuits. You can find some fairly large tritium vials in emergency 'Exit' signs which work from the tritium glow rather than rely on battery or AC power.

Comment

Im posting this in a few different threads, i think it should be of some interest for designing coils and understanding why they do what they do. I was aware of the effect magnets had on toroids, but i didnt know of how much tuning capability they had, thanks luc! Here is the video.

YouTube - Ed Leedskalnin Magnet 4

Comment

Originally posted by gotoluc View Post
                      And others here are kindly invited to share their thoughts.
                      Luc,

Regarding your circuit, based on your video, do you have CAPs be connected to the 555 chip, other then pin 2? If so, what pins of the 555 are the CAPs connected?

Have you thought about replacing the 555 with it's CMOS version - ICM7555? This would increase impedance, but lower the supply current.

- Schpankme
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Schpankme; 03-15-2010, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Hi everyone,

thank you all for your interest. I'm very limited with time at the moment so you will have to wait a little for my assistance to reply to specific questions.

Also, I may have been to quick to conclude when I added the 10K Ohm resistor on the 555 output. I looked at it today with the scope and it's way to much resistance for the mosfet gate to operate. It looks like the maximum resistance that can be added without affecting the gate would be around 200 Ohms.

I'm testing a few other things and will post what I find in a few days.

Thanks again for all your interest and help.

Luc

Comment

Originally posted by cody View Post
                          Im posting this in a few different threads, i think it should be of some interest for designing coils and understanding why they do what they do. I was aware of the effect magnets had on toroids, but i didnt know of how much tuning capability they had, thanks luc! Here is the video.

YouTube - Ed Leedskalnin Magnet 4
                          Hi Cody,

Useful infos for everybody tinkering with cores and magnets, thanks for the link and I think the following link is also a good addition to have a fuller picture on core's behaviour under outside flux, maybe someone has not seen it:

2SGen, an amazing tiny Solid State Generator by JL Naudin

Gyula

Comment

Originally posted by gotoluc View Post
                            Hi everyone,

thank you all for your interest. I'm very limited with time at the moment so you will have to wait a little for my assistance to reply to specific questions.

Also, I may have been to quick to conclude when I added the 10K Ohm resistor on the 555 output. I looked at it today with the scope and it's way to much resistance for the mosfet gate to operate. It looks like the maximum resistance that can be added without affecting the gate would be around 200 Ohms.

I'm testing a few other things and will post what I find in a few days.

Thanks again for all your interest and help.

Luc
                            Good news - that is exactly what I was thinking. I definitely think this circuit is worth more experimentation. I'm waiting on my IRF640'S at the moment and hopefully will have some time to try some things in the near future. Thanks for the update Luc.

Comment

YouTube - Turbo Encabulator

It's a joke but hold on the part describing power generation. It may work ! just decipher words : modial and directance.
                              It could tell that power can be produced by manipulation of magnetic reluctance using capacitive discharge.

directance = distance to the origin
                              Last edited by boguslaw; 03-15-2010, 08:45 PM. Reason: add info

Comment

Thanks for the link gyula. Very interesting!

I have been working on a replication of luc's setup, but so far no luck. I have been able to get it to run on 0 amps but its not due to the same effect luc is getting. Its just from the pulse width being extremely small and my meter not being sensitive enough. I still have more work to do on the setup, i need to get my pwm running off a seperate supply so i can drop my voltage on the coil down where luc is at around 1.5V. Im also guessing that his transistor is playing a big part so i need to get one of those too. Has Luc posted a scope shot across the coil? Ive seen the current and pwm shots but i was curious what the coil shot looked like.

Comment

Working...
                                X