Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Donald Smith Devices too good to be true

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Yes I see it is, I went searching the Museum site for the scanned copy but I
    can't find it. I think the tunnel vision is starting to get me. There are some
    really
    interesting old books and articles on that Museum website.
    I did notice though that none of the books I looked at had a big "Over Unity"
    printed on the cover.

    That book is supposed to be there somewhere. It should be in English. If I find it
    I'll link it.

    Cheers

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Farmhand View Post
      Yes I see it is, I went searching the Museum site for the scanned copy but I
      can't find it. I think the tunnel vision is starting to get me. There are some
      really
      interesting old books and articles on that Museum website.
      I did notice though that none of the books I looked at had a big "Over Unity"
      printed on the cover.

      That book is supposed to be there somewhere. It should be in English. If I find it
      I'll link it.

      Cheers
      If it had "Over Unity" Title... I doubt that it would be free anymore LOL. Thanks for your fast response.

      Comment


      • Just kiddin about the Overunity. I had to be looking to notice.

        Anyway I have a question and I couldn't think of a better place to ask it.

        Does it matter what the input frequency is for CFL's ?

        It looks to me as though the onboard circuitry just rectifies the AC input then
        uses that DC to make HV AC for the tube with a small transformer and some
        caps. Is that what happens ? If so I see no reason why I cant use higher
        frequencies up to what the four little diodes can tolerate well enough.

        It seems to work good using 280v AC at 30 to 40 Khz to light a 20 watt CFL
        it's really bright. It is using over the 20 watts though. 12.5v @ 1.7 A = 21.25 watts,
        although the transformer use 2 watts at idle.



        Uploaded with ImageShack.us



        Uploaded with ImageShack.us

        Which begs the question. If I use exactly 20 watts to power a 20 watt globe is that "Unity" ?
        Or do I have to get back what I use to achieve "Unity" ?

        Lots brighter at 280v than normal though, probably because my grid power is
        only 220 volts and less mostly, bad grid here, we have fluctuating low
        voltage, the power company admits it is below standard and will upgrade
        when they get a chance. I know I can light a few lights and appliances better
        than their power can. But I want more of course.

        The power from the wall is not even as good as what my store bought 60 Hz
        sine wave inverters make, stuff runs a lot better from the inverters.

        Cheers

        Comment


        • for consideration

          Originally posted by Farmhand View Post
          Yes I see it is, I went searching the Museum site for the scanned copy but I
          can't find it. I think the tunnel vision is starting to get me. There are some
          really
          interesting old books and articles on that Museum website.
          I did notice though that none of the books I looked at had a big "Over Unity"
          printed on the cover.

          That book is supposed to be there somewhere. It should be in English. If I find it
          I'll link it.

          Cheers
          Hi Farmhand for your info forum member Jules Tresor has obtained an original copy of this book
          as indicated in this post http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...tml#post100031 I would think that if approached with a kindly request he may be prepared to post the relevant page that is of interest to you. I understand he is busy translating into English prior to scanning.
          Jules also informs that the information cited by Don Smith is available see his post here http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...tml#post100219 Hope the information proves useful
          Best wishes D
          Whatever you can do,or dream you can,begin it.Boldness has genius,power and magic in it.Begin it now.

          Comment


          • d'arsonval translation

            Originally posted by Duncan View Post
            Hi Farmhand for your info forum member Jules Tresor has obtained an original copy of this book
            as indicated in this post http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...tml#post100031 I would think that if approached with a kindly request he may be prepared to post the relevant page that is of interest to you. I understand he is busy translating into English prior to scanning.
            Jules also informs that the information cited by Don Smith is available see his post here http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...tml#post100219 Hope the information proves useful
            Best wishes D
            I SPEAK FRENCH, if the pic is posted i can translate no prob

            Last nite experimenting with my new driver, i stumbled on the "building-wave-form" !!!!!!
            if anyones interested...

            Don Smith Device Project Part 19: New Driver with Resonant Building Wave-Form on L1 Tank Circuit - YouTube
            In the beginner's mind, there are many possibilities.
            In the expert's mind there are few.
            -Shunryu Suzuki

            Comment


            • d'arsonval translation

              Originally posted by Duncan View Post
              Hi Farmhand for your info forum member Jules Tresor has obtained an original copy of this book
              as indicated in this post http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...tml#post100031 I would think that if approached with a kindly request he may be prepared to post the relevant page that is of interest to you. I understand he is busy translating into English prior to scanning.
              Jules also informs that the information cited by Don Smith is available see his post here http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...tml#post100219 Hope the information proves useful
              Best wishes D
              I SPEAK FRENCH, if the pic is posted i can translate no prob

              Last nite experimenting with my new driver, i stumbled on the "building-wave-form" !!!!!!
              if anyones interested...

              Don Smith Device Project Part 19: New Driver with Resonant Building Wave-Form on L1 Tank Circuit - YouTube
              In the beginner's mind, there are many possibilities.
              In the expert's mind there are few.
              -Shunryu Suzuki

              Comment


              • Originally posted by mr.clean View Post
                I SPEAK FRENCH, if the pic is posted i can translate no prob

                Last nite experimenting with my new driver, i stumbled on the "building-wave-form" !!!!!!
                if anyones interested...

                Don Smith Device Project Part 19: New Driver with Resonant Building Wave-Form on L1 Tank Circuit - YouTube
                That's great, explain how you did it or show schematic. Does it show any OU characteristics or gain?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by mr.clean View Post
                  I SPEAK FRENCH, if the pic is posted i can translate no prob

                  Last nite experimenting with my new driver, i stumbled on the "building-wave-form" !!!!!!
                  if anyones interested...

                  Don Smith Device Project Part 19: New Driver with Resonant Building Wave-Form on L1 Tank Circuit - YouTube
                  HOW did you do that ? That's important step to OU, let us know

                  Comment


                  • @ Zilano

                    What type of waveform characteristic does your home generator produce? Is your voltage and current out of phase by 90 degrees as shown in the Don's overhead slide presentation? Thanks

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Farmhand View Post
                      Just kiddin about the Overunity. I had to be looking to notice.

                      Anyway I have a question and I couldn't think of a better place to ask it.

                      Does it matter what the input frequency is for CFL's ?

                      It looks to me as though the onboard circuitry just rectifies the AC input then
                      uses that DC to make HV AC for the tube with a small transformer and some
                      caps. Is that what happens ? If so I see no reason why I cant use higher
                      frequencies up to what the four little diodes can tolerate well enough.

                      It seems to work good using 280v AC at 30 to 40 Khz to light a 20 watt CFL
                      it's really bright. It is using over the 20 watts though. 12.5v @ 1.7 A = 21.25 watts,
                      although the transformer use 2 watts at idle.



                      Uploaded with ImageShack.us



                      Uploaded with ImageShack.us

                      Which begs the question. If I use exactly 20 watts to power a 20 watt globe is that "Unity" ?
                      Or do I have to get back what I use to achieve "Unity" ?

                      Lots brighter at 280v than normal though, probably because my grid power is
                      only 220 volts and less mostly, bad grid here, we have fluctuating low
                      voltage, the power company admits it is below standard and will upgrade
                      when they get a chance. I know I can light a few lights and appliances better
                      than their power can. But I want more of course.

                      The power from the wall is not even as good as what my store bought 60 Hz
                      sine wave inverters make, stuff runs a lot better from the inverters.

                      Cheers
                      An incandescent bulb performs with an efficiency of about 1.5%- real light.
                      A CFL is about 5 times better. So compute 7.5 % real light.
                      If you use a 20W CFL you get 7.5% out of 20W input ->pure light = 1.5 W.
                      You use no lossy electronics but the cfl heats itself. Let's say 3W.
                      So OU will begin at about input power less 4.5W.

                      I measured my new bought CFLs with a Lux meter (foto exposure meter possible as well) between 200V and 240V in cold and warm state. The repeatable setup is quite simple: bulb in a tube 2" by 20" covered with Al foil inside. So I have a reference if I use them later onafter dismantling next days.

                      Some types are compensatet (phi=1.0) others not at all (phi=0.5). A 20 W type produced about 55000 LUX max (warm & 240V 50Hz)

                      rgsd John
                      Experts spend hours a day in order to question their doing while others stopped thinking feeling they were professionals.

                      Comment


                      • Thanks John, I will have to read that a few times and have a think about it.
                        It is interesting to think about, the lights do get quite warm, all kinds, The 20w
                        CFL gives more light with 20w than the 25 watt incandescent or 25 watt
                        halogen do with 25 watts. I must buy some of those 110-220v LED lamps to
                        compare light output with.

                        Thanks again.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by nightwind View Post
                          That's great, explain how you did it or show schematic. Does it show any OU characteristics or gain?
                          Originally posted by boguslaw View Post
                          HOW did you do that ? That's important step to OU, let us know
                          Sorry for waiting so long to get back, i really am in need of my Velleman scope to find freq right now.
                          This old clunker scope is on its last days.

                          But anyway...havent hooked up my secondary yet to read while driving the primary, but I'll make another vid soon when it's all hooked up.

                          --this one guy pointed out that i had it inverted, it looks even cooler right side up! lol

                          Im aiming for a freq between AM an FM, for obvious reasons, the values look really nice for 226.9khz or so. i will tell my exact values later.

                          Still short on some caps for L2, but i'll make due. exact values of inductance are yet to be established, but im planning to match L in turns to the caps i have available.

                          I guess the effect of building up, IN THIS CASE was a result of series and paralel RLC resonance, I will show another vid with it all hooked up, but it looks like the cap building up is the RISE
                          and it reaches full charge then starts over...

                          ...so rather than being full, then decaying, decaying, decaying...
                          ...it builds, builds, builds

                          THAT IS WHAT LOGICALLY GIVES THE GAIN... JUST LIKE THE OLD SWING EXAMPLE...
                          ...you DID NOT get MORE swing by the... releasing, releasing, releasing...
                          ...you got it by THE PUSHING, PUSHING, PUSHING....
                          And JUST at the right time, or the pushes (square wave pulses) are wasted
                          ...(pulse driver timing..no prob right

                          Freq and spark distance had very different effects, so its hard to say precicely at the moment what is best.

                          From the one Hv terminal i have the spark in SERIES with L1, then the air cap is parallel with the HV outputs. Not exactly right, but in that vid L is 1.6 uH an air cap was maxed at .33 nf
                          Freq in that vid is roughly 50khz...im guessing, but it could just be the connections, series R and L, with C parallel to the HV out terminals.
                          WHICH IS DONS, its hard to see but the spark is a series to L with paralel C
                          From my signal gen pin 2 & 6 I have a 470pf cap with resistance of 100k, so 2 or 3 of those caps in SERIES will put me at 226khz comfortably without being maxed at the dials.. anyway..
                          And bingo.... building/rising wave form
                          (hours go by)
                          ...OK DONE BUILDING the Tanks for L1 and L2, check out this wicked symetrical resonance...

                          Don Smith Device Project Part 19 C: New Driver with L1 and L2 Tank Circuits Complete - YouTube
                          Last edited by mr.clean; 12-16-2011, 09:34 AM. Reason: sweet vid added with tank circuits built
                          In the beginner's mind, there are many possibilities.
                          In the expert's mind there are few.
                          -Shunryu Suzuki

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by mr.clean View Post
                            Sorry for waiting so long to get back, i really am in need of my Velleman scope to find freq right now.
                            This old clunker scope is on its last days.

                            But anyway...havent hooked up my secondary yet to read while driving the primary, but I'll make another vid soon when it's all hooked up.

                            --this one guy pointed out that i had it inverted, it looks even cooler right side up! lol

                            Im aiming for a freq between AM an FM, for obvious reasons, the values look really nice for 226.9khz or so. i will tell my exact values later.

                            Still short on some caps for L2, but i'll make due. exact values of inductance are yet to be established, but im planning to match L in turns to the caps i have available.

                            I guess the effect of building up, IN THIS CASE was a result of series and paralel RLC resonance, I will show another vid with it all hooked up, but it looks like the cap building up is the RISE
                            and it reaches full charge then starts over...

                            ...so rather than being full, then decaying, decaying, decaying...
                            ...it builds, builds, builds

                            THAT IS WHAT LOGICALLY GIVES THE GAIN... JUST LIKE THE OLD SWING EXAMPLE...
                            ...you DID NOT get MORE swing by the... releasing, releasing, releasing...
                            ...you got it by THE PUSHING, PUSHING, PUSHING....
                            And JUST at the right time, or the pushes (square wave pulses) are wasted
                            ...(pulse driver timing..no prob right

                            Freq and spark distance had very different effects, so its hard to say precicely at the moment what is best.

                            From the one Hv terminal i have the spark in SERIES with L1, then the air cap is parallel with the HV outputs. Not exactly right, but in that vid L is 1.6 uH an air cap was maxed at .33 nf
                            Freq in that vid is roughly 50khz...im guessing, but it could just be the connections, series R and L, with C parallel to the HV out terminals.
                            WHICH IS DONS, its hard to see but the spark is a series to L with paralel C
                            From my signal gen pin 2 & 6 I have a 470pf cap with resistance of 100k, so 2 or 3 of those caps in SERIES will put me at 226khz comfortably without being maxed at the dials.. anyway..
                            And bingo.... building/rising wave form
                            (hours go by)
                            ...OK DONE BUILDING the Tanks for L1 and L2, check out this wicked symetrical resonance...

                            Don Smith Device Project Part 19 C: New Driver with L1 and L2 Tank Circuits Complete - YouTube
                            Extremally IMPORTANT INFO !
                            That must be completed with schematic and digested slowly , as this is the missing puzzle I think. Thank You !

                            Schematic please ??
                            Last edited by boguslaw; 12-16-2011, 10:25 AM.

                            Comment


                            • Awesome
                              schematic ?
                              Half of the Answer is knowing the right Question

                              Comment


                              • Scope shots

                                Originally posted by mr.clean View Post
                                THAT IS WHAT LOGICALLY GIVES THE GAIN... JUST LIKE THE OLD SWING EXAMPLE...
                                ...you DID NOT get MORE swing by the... releasing, releasing, releasing...
                                ...you got it by THE PUSHING, PUSHING, PUSHING....
                                And JUST at the right time, or the pushes (square wave pulses) are wasted
                                ...(pulse driver timing..no prob right

                                Freq and spark distance had very different effects, so its hard to say precicely at the moment what is best.

                                [/url]
                                Mr. C, ...well done vid. Have questions about your scope shots: what is the starting value of the waveform and its ending value? I realize it probably won't be accurate, but it would be nice know the multiplier value. How long is the cycle before it starts again? Is it the same frequency as your square wave input? Thanks

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X