• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• response to marxist

Originally posted by marxist View Post
    Hi morpher44
    Great experiments. Thanks.
    I find your last video very impressive, especially the first part, where one can see that the fluorescent bulb lights up. And one also sees that while it lights it produces electrical power, which discharges through the flashes/streamers.
    Am wondering, whether it would be possible to harvest this discharge current and use it to power another load instead of allowing it to discharge "unused" straight to the coil.
    So I propose to prevent the discharging and instead to attach a lead to the contacts of the bulb. This lead could go either:
    - to ground or as an alternative
    - back to the other end of the bulb
    and then hook a load into this lead
    or maybe charge a battery
    !?
    Hi marxist,

The "power" in these experiments comes from a 12V battery on the bench.
    This "trick" of lighting lights by placing them in proximity of an
    inductive coil is a well known phenomenon.
    You can also ARC to a coil as well ... and to the metal in the coil -- even through a couple layers of magnetic tape or other insulation.
    This can be done with all sorts of coils... not just Rodin coils.

The Rodin coil is interesting here because as the center hole, we have a dense mesh of wiring entering and leaving that area.
    When the bulb is brought near this point, we see it arc here easily.
    As the bulb is brought through, the bulb inductively lights since
    it is surrounded by the field.

The bulb was connected to a lead that went off to ground.
    The AC current at the coil finds its way to ground via the
    least resistance path ... which will be the bulb when I bring it close.

There are better ways to charge batteries. I'm pulling upwards
    to 36 watts from my supply battery to do this little trick.

I think the Rodin coil is better used with pulsed DC (to keep
    the spin in the same direction) and with high current (not
    high voltage) ... but more experimenting with AC currents
    might prove fruitful as well. Who knows.

Thanks for watching...

P.S. I wonder if a fly flew into that area if he would find himself on
    the other side of the galaxy or instead just zapped. I suspect the
    latter.

Comment

• No more fly...

Hi Chuck,

Interesting experiment, nice. You said AC voltage you were using, what about same setup but with pulsed DC? I.e. high voltage pulsed DC.

I also wonder, as many may have seen the can crushing and coin shrinking experiments using a big capacitors and coils etc. Maybe using a Rodin coil in that circuit the fly might just disappear into another realm? Maybe the experimenter as well if the R.Coil is big enough?!

As posted in previous post, I intend to experiment with much higher power Tesla coil circuits combined with Rodin coil(s). Results of which I will hopefully post in my first ever You-tube clip! Hehe.

Cheers.
      "Doesn't matter how many times you kick the coyote in the head, it's still gonna eat chickens". - EPD

Comment

• Morpher

Comment

• Hi morpher44, thanks for your explanation
          Originally posted by morpher44 View Post
          ....The bulb was connected to a lead that went off to ground.
          Yes, and you clearly stated that in the video as well, but I still did not take notice.
          Oh well ....

Comment

• with tesla coil

Originally posted by Sputins View Post
            You said AC voltage you were using, what about same setup but with pulsed DC? I.e. high voltage pulsed DC.
            I also wonder, as many may have seen the can crushing and coin shrinking experiments using a big capacitors and coils etc.

As posted in previous post, I intend to experiment with much higher power Tesla coil circuits combined with Rodin coil(s). Results of which I will hopefully post in my first ever You-tube clip! Hehe.
            Cheers.
            @Sputins
            I don't have a high-voltage diode for pulsed DC experiments. I guess I should get one ... but yes that would be interesting.
            I look forward to seeing what your able to do with a Tesla coil.

Best Regards
            -Chuck

Comment

• Morpher
              Maybe smoke would give some insight as to the field lines, worth a look anyway.
              Half of the Answer is knowing the right Question

Comment

• smoke & other visualization ideas

Originally posted by Dave45 View Post
                Morpher
                Maybe smoke would give some insight as to the field lines, worth a look anyway.
                Wow! I had that same thought yesterday.
                Good idea.

I also thought of attaching a laser while doing the low-frequency vibration thing, to see if I could make the laser paint patterns on my wall. This proved disappointing. I probably need to devise a different sort of stand to make it really vibrate.

Another idea, for those who can FILM under a microscope, would
                be to observe a ferrofluid under the effects of the field.
                I think using a microscope might allow for this sort of observation
                since at the human eye level, you can't see anything.

Anyone have access to a nice electron microscope for this sort
                of experiment?

I think some STILL photography showing an arcing from the center
                of the Rodin coil to a florescent bulb or something would look very nice.
                I was thinking if two bulb terminals approached each other
                from either side of the coil, would they ARC to each other
                thru the hole? I wonder...

Comment

• Paired with a Bedini SSG circuit

Just in case some people from this thread dont read all the other threads that come through. I ran a few tests with a RC that I replicated and paired it with the Bedini SSG. Not sure if Know what Im doing or not! LOL I posted the info in the "One magnet no bearing Bedini" thread since I was using the Bedini setup. Take a look, any info and critique is welcome, I can only learn from my mistakes. THanks

Comment

• "Tuna Can" Rodin Coil and Joule Thief Circuit

YouTube - "Tuna Can" Rodin Coil With A Joule Thief

Comment

• Levitating Neo sphere

Interesting video posted by Jamie on youtube - YouTube - Rodin Coil Effects 5.1 - Neosphere Levitation

Vtech
                      'Get it all on record now - get the films - get the witnesses -because somewhere down the road of history some bastard will get up and say that this never happened'

General D.Eisenhower

http://www.nvtronics.org

Comment

• RC

Um.....holly hell. ummm.....kinda speechless on that one. anyone got the wiring diagrm for that? nuff said.

Comment

• Hi all, been a while...

built a rodin coil with 12 winds on each of the A & B windings ( i know it should be 9 or 18 or 27 )...

have pulsed it from a PWM -> Mosfet with 12V which draws 100mA after careful adjustment of frequency and duty cycle.

with the coil from a microwave shaded pole motor ( thanks GOTO ) and also using the original core that comes with the coil i am registering 1,250 VAC on my meter.

The shaded pole coil is simply sitting in the middle of the rodin and connected in series with the 'B' winding of the rodin coil. Removing the core vastly reduces the voltage.

David. D
                          Last edited by rave154; 01-25-2011, 02:21 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rave154 View Post
                            Hi all, been a while...

built a rodin coil with 12 winds on each of the A & B windings ( i know it should be 9 or 18 or 27 )...

have pulsed it from a PWM -> Mosfet with 12V which draws 100mA after careful adjustment of frequency and duty cycle.

with the coil from a microwave shaded pole motor ( thanks GOTO ) and also using the original core that comes with the coil i am registering 1,250 VAC on my meter.

The shaded pole coil is simply sitting in the middle of the rodin and connected in series with the 'B' winding of the rodin coil. Removing the core vastly reduces the voltage.

David. D
                            Hi David, have you tried to put any load on it, that is the output coil. Try a 120v bulb and see what the amp draw is on the input, I do not think you will blow the bulb, if you do, then you have got something there!!!!!!!!!

Mike

Comment

• I have put a neon flash blub on it, half lit it, tried a 240V normal bulb....no light...however

using just the shaded pole coil on its own ( not in series with winding B of the rodin )... and using a diode for rectification and then onto a 2,000V Cap i get a voltage of about 660 VDC, if i reverse the leads i get a voltage of about half...the same is true when i use winding B of the rodin on its own..i dont know if this is normal behaviour for a coil or what...but there certainly seems to be a LOT of activity in the middle of a rodin coil, especially considering its just " In thin air" so to speak.

Comment

Working...
                              X