Leave a comment:

• BroMikey
    replied
    Way over your head bi

Leave a comment:

• BroMikey
    replied
    Originally posted by bistander View Post
    For kicks, I googled "magnetic neutralization". About the only thing to surface remotely related was degaussing battleships.
    bi
    See "magnetic shielding" for various forms of redirecting flux also "cancellation" there is an endless supply of test data for a true researcher. I guess you can't find it which shows how slothful your methods are and how flawed your abilities

Leave a comment:

• bistander
    replied
    Originally posted by Turion View Post
    So you took some PICTURES of something you built. Where is the video of it running showing that it does what you say it does? Did you make one? NO? Why not.
    Where's the video of your 1800-2000W out / less than 300W in? Did you make one? NO? Why not?

I was ready, willing and waiting for months. But you were nowhere to be found.
    I posted a video of the 7th grade Science experiment. You know, the one I asked you to replicate but you didn't. Are you saying we don't see the motor speed up when the opposition magnet is aligned with the coil (and its core)? REALLY? I have three people who have replicated this since I posted the video and they all see the same thing I saw. Sorry dude.
    No, actually I can't tell speed up on the video. It appears to change speed. And where is meter reading for power. You didn't adjust and tune to your optimum "neutralization" setting, let it stabilize and conduct the experiment at constant speed, like I was able to do. You had a motor coil on the same rotor as well as the control reed switch. Either or both could interfere in unknown ways. Also the fact that you needed to reverse polarity when "neutralizing" the motor coil and can't explain exactly why gives a clue that you really have no idea what's going on and reasons why. It is a big leap of imagination to think that proves anything. I think my version was much superior on isolation of the effect we were studying and controlling the variables in a precise and repeatable process..
    bi

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    So you took some PICTURES of something you built. Where is the video of it running showing that it does what you say it does? Did you make one? NO? Why not.

I posted a video of the 7th grade Science experiment. You know, the one I asked you to replicate but you didn't. Are you saying we don't see the motor speed up when the opposition magnet is aligned with the coil (and its core)? REALLY? I have three people who have replicated this since I posted the video and they all see the same thing I saw. Sorry dude.

Leave a comment:

• bistander
    replied
    When all of this started way back when, I said that the attraction of the rotor magnet to the coil core as it approached was equal to the attraction of the coil core to the rotor magnet as the magnet moved away but that there was a moment in time when the two were perfectly aligned. A moment of MAXIMUM attraction. It requires motor TORQUE to move the magnet from this position. That is cogging. So The magnetic attraction at that point in time is responsible for or CAUSES cogging exactly as I have said.

You said that position did not exist. That was incorrect. False, Untrue. A lie.
    No, I did not say the position did not exist, but rather that at that position (TDC) there was no resistance to rotation (torque). The graph validates that.

Point 1. There is no such thing as “cogging torque.” Cogging doesn’t cause torque. Cogging is caused because of the attraction of the magnet to the core of the coil. It exists whether you like it or not. Spin the rotor by hand and you will see it. Without a motor in place (or your hand. And I have to say quibbling that your hand can do the same thing as a motor is rather juvenile of you) the ONLY force present is the attraction of every single coil core to every single rotor magnet. It is an axial attraction and exists when there is no movement of the rotor AT ALL. Cogging ONLY occurs when you use TORQUE to move the magnet from that position of alignment.
    Bingo. Cogging torque is felt only when you move from that Stable Detent Position (TDC), like the graph shows.

Point 2. In order to spin the rotor you must PROVIDE torque to overcome, among other things, that magnetic attraction. Either spin it by hand or use a motor. Providing the torque to get the motor up to speed costs you amps and voltage to the motor measured in watts of power. Torque is less at operating speed, but you must still provide it.
    I agree,

​​​​Point 3. And I believe HERE is where our major disagreement lies. My contention is that a rotor spinning AT SPEED with no coils in place draws far fewer watts of power and requires less torque than does a motor spinning a rotor with 12 coils in place.
    If you mean cores where you have typed coils, I agree.

And I contend that magnetic neutralization reduces the needed power and needed torque significantly.
    I disagree.
    ​​​​​​
    I have seen it on my big machine and I posted a video of the machine running at speed and adding a couple coils. It drew more amps and slowed the motor. I provided the 7th grade science experiment and a more recent video to show that it is true. So YOU could see for yourself. You lied about doing the 7th grade science experiment and said YOUR experiment was better.
    I lied about nothing. I built a fixture and conducted experiments both handheld magnet and fixed magnet. This simulated what you had described back then. I posted pictures of the apparatus and talked about my results. I had it up for 2 or 3 months and got no feedback from you, just some crap from BM about me not holding ridiculous tolerances. So eventually I disassembled it. There are no lies here, from me.
    ​​​​​​

You can quote all the textbooks and charts and graphs you want. I will go with what I see on the bench and my volt and amp meters show me. I have gotten my machine up to speed, added coils and watched it slow down and amp draw go up. Then I have implemented magnetic neutralization and watched it speed back up and the voltage and amp draw go DOWN.

What have you shown us? Charts and graphs and words. Do the experiment and prove I am wrong on the bench or just shut up.
    I did the experiment and demonstrated what I said was correct. The record exists back in this thread.

Edit: And by the way, I am NOT the one who developed this idea of offsetting magnets for generator coils! A patent was issued for this a LONG time ago and I have showed that patent in the past. It works. Period.
    Yes, I recall that. I don't think that contains any claim or evidence to support your theory. If you can reference a particular passage from it that supports axial force from magnetic attraction causing a torque load, please post the quote.

For kicks, I googled "magnetic neutralization". About the only thing to surface remotely related was degaussing battleships.
    bi

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    When all of this started way back when, I said that the attraction of the rotor magnet to the coil core as it approached was equal to the attraction of the coil core to the rotor magnet as the magnet moved away but that there was a moment in time when the two were perfectly aligned. A moment of MAXIMUM attraction. It requires motor TORQUE to move the magnet from this position. That is cogging. So The magnetic attraction at that point in time is responsible for or CAUSES cogging exactly as I have said.

You said that position did not exist. That was incorrect. False, Untrue. A lie.

Point 1. There is no such thing as “cogging torque.” Cogging doesn’t cause torque. Cogging is caused because of the attraction of the magnet to the core of the coil. That attraction exists whether you like it or not. Spin the rotor by hand and you will see it. Without a motor in place (or your hand. And I have to say quibbling that your hand can do the same thing as a motor is rather juvenile of you) the ONLY force present is the attraction of every single coil core to every single rotor magnet. It is an axial attraction and exists when there is no movement of the rotor AT ALL. Cogging ONLY occurs when you use TORQUE to move the magnet from that position of alignment.

Point 2. In order to spin the rotor you must PROVIDE torque to overcome, among other things, that magnetic attraction. Either spin it by hand or use a motor. Providing the torque to get the motor up to speed costs you amps and voltage to the motor measured in watts of power. Torque is less at operating speed, but you must still provide it.

Point 3. And I believe HERE is where our major disagreement lies. My contention is that a rotor spinning AT SPEED with no coils in place draws far fewer watts of power and requires less torque than does a motor spinning a rotor with 12 coils in place. And I contend that magnetic neutralization reduces the needed power and needed torque significantly. I have seen it on my big machine and I posted a video of the machine running at speed and adding a couple coils. It drew more amps and slowed the motor. I provided the 7th grade science experiment and a more recent video to show that it is true. So YOU could see for yourself. You lied about doing the 7th grade science experiment and said YOUR experiment was better.

You can quote all the textbooks and charts and graphs you want. I will go with what I see on the bench and my volt and amp meters show me. I have gotten my machine up to speed, added coils and watched it slow down and amp draw go up. Then I have implemented magnetic neutralization and watched it speed back up and the voltage and amp draw go DOWN.

What have you shown us? Charts and graphs and words. Do the experiment and prove I am wrong on the bench or please just shut up.

Edit: And by the way, I am NOT the one who developed this idea of offsetting magnets for generator coils! A patent was issued for this a LONG time ago and I have shown that patent in the past. It works. Period.
    Last edited by Turion; 02-08-2022, 08:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bistander
    replied

But that magnetic attraction ISN'T be eliminated, is it? And the attraction at TDC is what causes the cogging at all other rotor positions. In other words. The attraction of the rotor magnet to the core at TDC causes cogging. Just as I have said.
    Magnetic attraction causes cogging. I used to say magnetic attraction is cogging. (It's the same difference in this, IMO). However the cogging (cogging torque) at TDC is zero. So magnetic attraction at TDC is responsible for an axial force, but not cogging. It is the magnetic attraction at all positions other than TDC which causes cogging. The graphs clearly show this. Also it is easily demonstrated. A no-load generator will come to rest a the Stable Detent Position (SDP), or TDC. That's because all other positions have a non-zero cogging torque towards the SDP (except the Unstable Detent Position where it is typically impossible for the rotor to remain in equilibrium).
    You must look like a freaking pretzel as much as you twist things around so as not to appear like you are wrong. And how about my “moment in time when coil and core align and magnetic attraction is the greatest” which you made fun of me for. The expert said THAT is true also and you continue to ignore it even though this is the FOURTH time in the last couple days I have reminded you. You were wrong about that. Just like you were wrong about the linear increase. Are these LIES? Just like you LIED about building the 7th grade science experiment?
    Yep, I made a slight mistake on that linear statement and corrected it within hours when I discovered it. Other lies; there are none, from me. I do not understand what this "greatest attraction at TDC" relevance is. That's why I ask "so what". You still have not explained that. Please clarify what your talking about.

So what? I never said it wasn't. This is like the tenth time you have made this statement. Do you expect my response to change?
    You keep asking the same question so I continue to give you the truthful answer. You do not answer my return question of "So what? do you. What difference does it make if magnetic attraction is the greatest at TDC?

I never said otherwise. Torque on the rotor, caused by the motor to moving the rotor magnet from the position of greatest magnetic attraction. So all of this is CAUSED by the attraction of the magnet to the core, just as I have said.
    ​​​​​...
    You claim there is a load on the motor resulting from magnetic attraction at TDC. A load on the motor must come from torque on the rotor. Torque on the rotor from magnetic attraction is cogging. Follow the logic.

Excuse me. There IS NO "torque on the rotor" from magnetic attraction. Magnetic attraction is Axial. How many times do I have to tell you that! The torque on the rotor comes from the prime mover attempting to MOVE the rotor to a position where the magnet no longer aligns with the core. That magnetic attraction REQUIRES torque to mitigate. It does not CREATE torque. Haven't I taught you anything? The MOTOR creates the torque, not the magnets.
    So you do not believe that cogging is torque, or caused by torque on the rotor, all by itself. Doesn't your generator cog without the motor even connected to it? The cogging torque comes from the magnetic attraction of the magnets to the core.
    So what? YOU said that "moment in time" does not exist. WRONG! Even your experts say it does.
    All moments in time exist. The moment at TDC is irrelevant. At that position at that time (moment) there is zero cogging torque and magnetic attraction results in purely axial force which doesn't affect performance. So essentially nothing happens at the moment of TDC with regards to magnetic attraction or cogging.

Moving the rotor from the TDC position requires torque and loads the motor. GLAD WE AGREE. That's what I have been saying all along.
    I glad we agree. You know I've never said otherwise, except maybe the torque doesn't necessarily have to come from the prime mover.

I have no issues with Newton. Obviously YOU do from what you said above about torque on the rotor being caused by magnetic attraction.
    Do you really believe cogging is not torque on the rotor? Or that the magnetic attraction between magnets and core(s) causes cogging?

There's a magnetic attraction of the magnet to the core that is strongest at TDC. TRUE
    True, but the force at TDC is purely axially directed and is countered by an equal and opposite force developed by the structure of the machine and bearings which enable an air gap to exist between the magnet and core face. The result is that this "strongest " magnetic attraction has no effect on the rotor at TDC. This is plainly seen on the graphs.
    In order to move the rotor from this position, torque must be applied. TRUE
    Yes. Only torque moves (rotates) the rotor.
    This torque is applied by the prime mover. TRUE
    Maybe, although not necessarily. Our discussions and that of the cogging reference paper have been about cogging torque which is unrelated to the motor. You certainly can feel cogging turning the rotor by hand, can't you? That is torque. Your hand is applying torque to rotate the rotor from the Stable Detent Position (TDC) and cogging torque is developed from magnetic attraction causing resistance to the motion (rotation).
    Applying this torque results in a cost in watts of power. TRUE
    That is what I have said all along.
    Maybe. It could on a partial rotation. But for complete rotations, or at constant speed (like rated RPM), the CW cogging torque is offset by the CCW cogging torque and the transients (torque) are supplied from the rotor moment of inertia. So, except for a partial rotation, no, the cogging torque does not load (come from) the motor. That is why it is irrelevant at speed. There is no cost in watts due cogging at constant speed.
    Sure do. I have no problem with the graphs. They contradict what I have said in NO WAY.
    OK. Good. You'll note on the cogging torque vs rotor position graph that torque is not specified as to origin. If fact it can be viewed as a static condition of the motor (in this case) alone by itself with a torque wrench and protractor. The authors likely had more sophisticated instruments, but basically that's what's needed to generate the data for the graph.
    bi
    Last edited by bistander; 02-08-2022, 03:53 AM. Reason: Typo

Leave a comment:

• BroMikey
    replied
    Here ya go Bi even you can learn about graphing

I often think that some folks I encounter on forums who do not have a scientific background are unable to read and comprehend a graph. I mean no disrespect, but can you,? Do you understand those cogging torque vs position graphs?

Leave a comment:

• BroMikey
    replied

But that magnetic attraction ISN'T be eliminated,

Sure do. I have no problem with the graphs. They contradict what I have said in NO WAY.
    Wow, just got in Dave and you really know how to pick a process apart piece by piece and lay them all out for the students who haven't quite thought it all thru

U-get an AAA+

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied

If somehow magnetic attraction at TDC could be eliminated without disturbing magnetic attraction at all other rotor positions, cogging would remain unchanged.
    But that magnetic attraction ISN'T eliminated, is it? And the attraction at TDC is what causes the cogging at all other rotor positions. In other words. The attraction of the rotor magnet to the core at TDC causes cogging. Just as I have said.

You must look like a freaking pretzel as much as you twist things around so as not to appear like you are wrong. And how about my “moment in time when coil and core align and magnetic attraction is the greatest” which you made fun of me for. The expert said THAT is true also and you continue to ignore it even though this is the FOURTH time in the last couple days I have reminded you. You were wrong about that. Just like you were wrong about the linear increase. Are these LIES? Just like you LIED about building the 7th grade science experiment?

Cogging torque at TDC is zero.
    So what? I never said it wasn't. This is like the tenth time you have made this statement. Do you expect my response to change? But because the attraction exists at THAT SPECIFIC position, what happens when you try to move the rotor even the slightest bit? You MUST exert torque to overcome cogging. YES or NO? Yea, we ALL know the answer is yes. Hurt's doesn't it?

You claim there is a load on the motor resulting from magnetic attraction at TDC. A load on the motor must come from torque on the rotor.
    I never said otherwise. Torque on the rotor, caused by the motor to moving the rotor magnet from the position of greatest magnetic attraction. So all of this is CAUSED by the attraction of the magnet to the core, just as I have said.

Torque on the rotor from magnetic attraction is cogging. Follow the logic.
    Excuse me. There IS NO "torque on the rotor" from magnetic attraction. Magnetic attraction is Axial. How many times do I have to tell you that! The torque on the rotor comes from the prime mover attempting to MOVE the rotor to a position where the magnet no longer aligns with the core. That magnetic attraction REQUIRES torque to mitigate. It does not CREATE torque. Haven't I taught you anything? The MOTOR creates the torque, not the magnets.

You say "moment in time when they align and magnetic attraction is the greatest".
    So what?
    So what? YOU said that "moment in time" does not exist. WRONG! Even your experts say it does.

At that moment the cogging torque is zero and the greatest magnetic attraction is strictly an axial force which has been offset by Newton's equal and opposite force. Also, although academic, axial force does not load the motor, torque does.
    Moving the rotor from the TDC position requires torque and loads the motor. GLAD WE AGREE. That's what I have been saying all along.

You won't believe me, believe Newton.
    I have no issues with Newton. Obviously YOU do from what you said above about torque on the rotor being caused by magnetic attraction.

There's a magnetic attraction of the magnet to the core that is strongest at TDC. TRUE
    In order to move the rotor from this position, torque must be applied. TRUE
    This torque is applied by the prime mover. TRUE
    Applying this torque results in a cost in watts of power. TRUE
    That is what I have said all along.

I often think that some folks I encounter on forums who do not have a scientific background are unable to read and comprehend a graph. I mean no disrespect, but can you,? Do you understand those cogging torque vs position graphs?
    Last edited by Turion; 02-08-2022, 12:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bistander
    replied
    So if there was no attraction of the magnet to the core at TDC cogging would still exist? Is that what you are saying? No, because the magnetic attraction causes cogging. Without it cogging would not exist. Period.

“Any displacement of the rotor from this position(alignment of magnet to coil core) results in cogging torque which attempts to re-align the rotor to this position.”

I NEVER SAID
    cogging takes place at TDC. NEVER. I said the magnetic attraction of the magnet to the core causes cogging. It does. Without that attraction, cogging would NOT exist. I’m right. You’re wrong. Get over it.

And how about my “moment in time when they align and magnetic attraction is the greatest” which you made fun of me for. The expert said THAT is true also and you continue to ignore it even though this is the third time in the last couple days I have reminded you.

”The truth? You can’t handle the truth!”
    If somehow magnetic attraction at TDC could be eliminated without disturbing magnetic attraction at all other rotor positions, cogging would remain unchanged. Cogging torque at TDC is zero.

You claim there is a load on the motor resulting from magnetic attraction at TDC. A load on the motor must come from torque on the rotor. Torque on the rotor from magnetic attraction is cogging. Follow the logic.
    You say "moment in time when they align and magnetic attraction is the greatest".
    So what? At that moment the cogging torque is zero and the greatest magnetic attraction is strictly an axial force which has been offset by Newton's equal and opposite force. Also, although academic, axial force does not load the motor, torque does.

You won't believe me, believe Newton.

bi

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    So if there was no attraction of the magnet to the core at TDC cogging would still exist? Is that what you are saying? No, because the magnetic attraction causes cogging. Without it cogging would not exist. Period.

“Any displacement of the rotor from this position(alignment of magnet to coil core) results in cogging torque which attempts to re-align the rotor to this position.”

I NEVER SAID
    cogging takes place at TDC. NEVER. I said the magnetic attraction of the magnet to the core causes cogging. It does. Without that attraction, cogging would NOT exist. I’m right. You’re wrong. Get over it.

And how about my “moment in time when they align and magnetic attraction is the greatest” which you made fun of me for. The expert said THAT is true also and you continue to ignore it even though this is the third time in the last couple days I have reminded you.

”The truth? You can’t handle the truth!”
    Last edited by Turion; 02-07-2022, 08:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bistander
    replied
    I said the attraction of the rotor magnet to the coil at TDC causes cogging. The expert YOU produced agrees.

I have said that the visible effect of cogging goes away at speed but that magnetism or the magnetic attraction NEVER goes away. You have admitted both are true.

I am SO defeated! LOL.
    Turion,

Can not you read? It says 'Any displacement of the rotor from this position(alignment of magnet to coil core)".

*Displacement from* means it is not at TDC. So your statement of "I said the attraction of the rotor magnet to the coil at TDC causes cogging." The expert YOU produced agrees." is untrue. The expert did not say and does not agree with "attraction of the rotor magnet to the coil at TDC causes cogging." His graph shows zero cogging torque at TDC. Zero cogging torque means no cogging. When at TDC there is only axial force between the magnet and core. There is no torque imparted to the rotor and therefore no load placed on the motor at TDC from the attractive force between the magnet and core. The expert"s article supports that.
    bi

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    I said the attraction of the rotor magnet to the coil at TDC causes cogging. The expert YOU produced agrees.

I have said that the visible effect of cogging goes away at speed but that magnetism or the magnetic attraction NEVER goes away. You have admitted both are true.

I am SO defeated! LOL.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X