This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ah .. not quite

Matt that is not what I wrote at all .. I indicated that the electronics and chips are fine .. in fact preferable … but only if .. and its a huge if , they can substitute or improve on something they could have done back in the day … for instance they would not have had the technology to trigger on a phase angle for instance, or by digital summation …. It being that they did not have the means, that being so in all likely hood it does not pertain . Other things that they obviously would have to do by hand like adjust resonance for instance .. I see no reason why phase locked loops and the like shouldn't be employed .. I hope you see the difference .. if it was impossible for the engineers at that era in time to achieve something we can easily do today with a chip … it probably does not relate to the basic operation.
    I certainly don't mean abandon electronics and chips . As an example the motor could be replaced perhaps with an H bridge … Royer oscillator or perhaps CT .. push pull transformer and oscillator as there is armature action .. however not a PWM as they simply did not have that technology available.
    In fact they had no semi conductors in that era as far as I know and as for programmable anything … I think not... unless it was the size of a house.
    Whatever you can do,or dream you can,begin it.Boldness has genius,power and magic in it.Begin it now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matthew Jones View Post
      So Duncan you don't think that emulating a motors waveform with solid state electronics and inductors, so that it can be manipulated one way or the other with out rebuilding or finding a motor, is not worth doing? Because the old timers didn't need it?

Maybe I read that wrong. Its a lot of reading for sure.

Myself I cannot see just hoping the power coming out from a motor is enough. I wanna see what changes can be made and how well the changes act. The more IC transistor driven, solid state that can be used the more reliable the system will become.

Of course we are all still dependent on the dead battery. And so far there seems to be no chemical answer to that.

Matt
      Hint: (I'm not there yet - it's on my list)
      Electrolytic capacitors exhibit polarity reversal also and these should work in the Randy schematic

Comment

• They did not have AGM batteries either. But we do.... And they seem to be more of the key so far than anything else.

Matt

Comment

• Hi Duncan

The link you gave to the 1979 video in post #2593 is showing a s unavailable to me.

Regards

John

Comment

• a.king that guy Igor was going to try Maxwell super caps .. he's saving up for a couple .... a bit beyond me right now too ... but it might resolve .. I wait in hope .. I also wondered what these things they have in the USA called Batt caps might do .. but they are unavaliable in the UK

BatCap 8400

Maxwell Technologies Ultracapacitors and Supercapacitors as a green, alternative energy resource

still if the lotto thing wins this week
            Whatever you can do,or dream you can,begin it.Boldness has genius,power and magic in it.Begin it now.

Comment

• Originally posted by john_g View Post
              Hi Duncan

The link you gave to the 1979 video in post #2593 is showing a s unavailable to me.

Regards

John
              corrected .. Ella did a series of ad's for memorex ... there used to be the first of the series on youtube where she actually smashes the glass .. I dont see it now, still thats how youtube rolls having said that here it is
              Ella Fitzgerald Memorex Commercial- 1972 - YouTube .. if that video was recorded on memorex ... the sound quality now needs much to be desired ... still you get the picture
              Last edited by Duncan; 08-06-2013, 06:33 PM.

Comment

• I have a bunch of supercaps ex electric bus, but they take an age to charge up and are very fragile. They do not seem to respond to flash charging. I haven't tried them yet in this setup. More stuff on the "to do" list.
                My money's still on a bunch of electrolytic caps out of cfl lightbulbs.

Comment

• To clarify: The evidence so far is that supercaps act more like a "good battery", whereas electrolytic caps behave more like a good "bad" battery.

Comment

• I tried caps Today and the run was failure but... I ran this and did real good
                    https://www.matthewcjones.com/powerB...capmodtest.jpg

I lost .04 volt combined out of the primaries but the buffer batt went up .3 volt.

I ran the razor scooter motor stock and scrapped the Bifiliar Tesla coil. Neither dead battery went negative. But the cap will allow both to go negative if they were good dead batts. But either way it made gains.

I got a lead on 2 real good dead batts and I will get them tomorrow. Then I'll start running a dual choke rig to emulate the motor. I works better than the transformer and I can push up 20 amps through it. If the batteries will hold up.
                    I'll share the schematic when I get it running.

Matt

Comment

• Caps

Originally posted by a.king21 View Post
                      To clarify: The evidence so far is that supercaps act more like a "good battery", whereas electrolytic caps behave more like a good "bad" battery.
                      Hi again aking … I'll save my pocket money then …. I do recall quite a long time ago one of the members contacted David via email .. The gist of his email and schematic was that he was managing to run successfully with a capacitor he had cannibalised from a micro wave oven. The schematic showed he was using an earth connection which no one had really adopted at that stage.
                      David forwarded the email . And so I tried the set up with an ex microwave oven capacitor. It didn't look very promising to me and I abandoned it. David's “informant” then wrote to say the capacitor and batteries should be “conditioned” which mine were not …. I then drifted off along other lines.
                      Now alas I can't find the email David sent me , and don’t recall the schematic … David might keep better records than me and still have the original which he can lay his hands on … still worth keeping in mind I guess … something in the construction of microwave capacitors … Just may be relevant … perhaps not much help but

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                      Desiderius Erasmus
                      Last edited by Duncan; 08-07-2013, 07:29 AM.

Comment

• So the dead batteries need to go negative....

Well its easy to make sure they do. Use this setup to condition the batteries into a negative voltage.

https://www.matthewcjones.com/powerBackup/NegBat.jpg

Now the trick is to not stay on to long. Just turn it on then off. Watch the meter on the dead bat, it should start holding a negative voltage. When that hold time gets long enough put them into your system and run them. Make sure to use batteries that are on the low end. Like 4-5 volt or under. If they spark when you short them they are not good candidates.

Its working for me but that does not mean it will for everyone. If anyone can provide some feed back please do.

ALSO BE CAREFUL, I am sure this is dangerous at some point if not closely monitored.

Matt

Comment

Matt:

I have looked at your image on turning a battery negative but I am wondering what the "Control" box does.

Is it just to show the switch or does it have some other purpose(sinister or otherwise)?

And I agree with you, working with batteries can be dangerous. So take the proper cautions!

BATTERY CAUTIONS

Comment

• You looked at the picture and didn't read the explanation?.

The Control turns the switch on and off. For instance you could be the control. Or maybe you use a micro controller, or a 555 timer to drive relay or transistor.

Sinister???

Matt

Comment

• OOPS Double posted.

Comment

• A point about microwave oven capacitors. I have read that some have resistors built in and some do not, so if we go down that route it's something to be aware of.
                                Re transistors: I have gone over to building things with copper, wood and screws etc. That's why my experiments are taking so long. - but no more transistors to blow up. For HV meters I use neons or a string of ne2s.
                                For polarity : the side of the neon which lights up is negative. If both light up you have AC. These indicators never blow up and last "forever" and are much more reliable than a meter. Radiant spikes never showed up on my meters, but they lit the ne2s.

Comment

Working...
                                X