Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm back from my week of being grandpa, and have some things for your consideration.

Different people are approaching this from different ways based on their theory and their goals.

Some want only to have a motor that runs for free, and could care less what they get out of the inverter. Some want the AC output of the inverter and would just as soon get rid of the motor. Frankly, I could care less, as long as we get a stable working system that produces usable power.

So lets talk about that power for a moment. Unless I see it in front of me and can measure it with a meter and a scope, I have a hard time believing it exists, which means if I can't replicate it, to me it is suspect.

So I want to talk about facts, not theories. I have toasted three inverters with this setup and one voltage regulator. I believe some others have experienced the same thing. I know the exact circumstances for each melt down.

In the case of two of the inverters I had a very heavy load on the motor...so much that it was barely able to turn, and I was adding loads to the inverter to speed up the motor. I was between 600 and 800 watts of load on the inverter trying to balance the system. As anybody who has tried this knows, the voltage on your primaries is sinking like the Titanic when you try to do this because of the load on the motor and the load on the inverter, so you have to be FAST until you get it balanced.

In both cases I added a load to the inverter and "POW", it smoked like a bad cigar. In the third situation I also had a huge load on the motor and had put a huge load on the inverter that I thought was MORE than what I needed to balance it out. I was REDUCING the load on the inverter. The motor had sped up and I was removing small loads from the inverter to balance the two. I had already removed a few 3 amp bulbs, removed one more and "POW", the inverter smoked. In the final case, which is the voltage regulator, I had it in place to keep the inverter from smoking. I had a huge load on the motor and was adding loads to the inverter and it smoked the regulator. In none of these cases do I know if the device smoked because of voltage input to them or because of amps input to them, but it would have to be one or the other wouldn't it?

The voltage regulator was rated for 60 volts input. I have no idea the amps rating on it or the voltage input limits or amps input limits on the inverters that smoked.

Those are the facts. Any number of theories could be created that those facts could support. You make up your own. I have mine, but it has not been proven or tested. It is just a theory. My THEORY was that when I was adjusting the load and trying to hit that balance point, whether I was adding loads to reach it, or removing loads to reach it, when I hit it, something happened that caused some kind of surge that blew out the inverters and/or the voltage regulators. Whether it was a surge in voltage (it would have had to be a surge of over 60 volts to blow the regulator) or a surge of amps, I do not know, but that is my theory.

Anybody up for toasting some more regulators or inverters? It's an expensive hobby!! Maybe the simplest thing to do would be to use a whole bunch of 12 volt lights you can get from an RV place that sells lights for 12 volt systems instead of an inverter. They screw into a regular socket. Then if there's a surge, you explode some glass or burn out some bulbs. I have a row of those bulbs, but maybe I need to get some more.

But it is that surge that interests me. What is it, and where does it come from? If it is a high voltage surge, it must be over 60 volts. Is it momentary, or can it be sustained? Is it a surge, or is it a pulse that will repeat, or is it a steady flow? Is it an increase in voltage or amps. In either case, where does it come from? It does NOT take much of a voltage increase to blow an inverter. They are not built to have an input much over 12 volts, (in MOST cases) especially the cheap ones I am using. But the voltage regulator I smoked WAS designed to take a high voltage input (60 volts) and take it down to 12 volts, and it too was smoked. If it was an increase in amps OR voltage, why did it happen when I REMOVED loads from the inverter?? That fact led me to suspect the "balance" issue and that when you balance the loads this surge happens.

None of this gets us anywhere until someone else replicates it and until we see if it is more than a single surge. But if you have toasted an inverter, you have already seen what I am talking about.
    Dave
    “Advances are made by answering questions. Discoveries are made by questioning answers.”
    —Bernhard Haisch, Astrophysicist

Comment

• Hi Matt,

I'm not sure I understand your theory about current and no off time, but I'm open and willing to learn and hope you'll get it to work as you want it to.
      The difference I see between a motor and a transformer is basically only in the coil turn off.
      In the transformer you can choose wether to collect the coil collapse or not (unless you drive it push-pull) with a bridge rectifier but there will be a spike who's amplitude depends on how fast the coil is turned off, inductance and resistance.
      If electronically switched, at turn off the 3BGS circuit is open since the transistor or mosfet is open. In the motor, when the coil is switched off with the commutator the circuit is open for an instant, voltage of collapsing field builds up until high enough to jump the air gap, at this moment the conducting air CLOSES the 3BGS circuit on both sides of the coil, and the collapsing field creates a forward current through the whole system, which is not the case with electronic switch. This may do something different to the whole setup.
      Correct me if I'm wrong, it's just the difference between the two as I see it.

Mario

Comment

• Turion, it seems like fuses would be a wise choice to have inline several places or breakers if it's 120AC volts. Or do you think these are blowing below their ratings? Many cheaper inverters are over rated in their power output just like audio amplifiers. 1000 watt inverters of the cheap kind are probably lucky if they can handle 500 or 600 watts.
        There is no important work, there are only a series of moments to demonstrate your mastery and impeccability. Quote from Almine

Comment

• Hi everybody! The last couple of days I have been working on a circuit to switch the batteries with a load attached to the inverted battery which is our buffer battery. Attached you will find the circuit, and its equivalent circuits with when the appropriate relays are energized. Dave I was watching your youtube video on homemade transducers. When you are pulse charging them do you charge them with opposite polarity? Thanks Dave and everybody for sharing your work here. John
          [ATTACH]1362[ATTACH][ATTACH]Relay 3 &4 Energized_schem.pdf[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]8[/ATTACH]
          Attached Files

Comment

• john00287,

That is not quite the circuit we have been using. The two latest are the one at post #2335 or just the original with a GOOD battery in the third position instead of a bad battery. Some folks are omitting the coil and the earth ground to see the difference in the one at # 2335, which is Randy's design.

If the circuit you are using is WORKING for you, I would keep on with it and see what you can make of it.

As to the transducers, YES, I was pulsing them with opposite polarity...positive from my transformer to neg of the battery, to try and get the polarity to reverse. And it did. Took a while, but it did. And those were GOOD batteries when I started.

Dave
            “Advances are made by answering questions. Discoveries are made by questioning answers.”

Comment

• Turion, Thanks for the reply. I will modify the circuit to include the pancake coil and ground and see if I can switch the motor to the other side. I have not built the circuit yet to test it. Will start with making the transducers first. Thanks, John

Comment

• Self made bad batteries

Originally posted by Turion View Post
                john00287,

That is not quite the circuit we have been using. The two latest are the one at post #2335 or just the original with a GOOD battery in the third position instead of a bad battery. Some folks are omitting the coil and the earth ground to see the difference in the one at # 2335, which is Randy's design.

If the circuit you are using is WORKING for you, I would keep on with it and see what you can make of it.

As to the transducers, YES, I was pulsing them with opposite polarity...positive from my transformer to neg of the battery, to try and get the polarity to reverse. And it did. Took a while, but it did. And those were GOOD batteries when I started.

Dave
                Dave,
                I would love to know how those self made transducers are working for you. My results have always been poor. I would love to have someone get a good result with something that was made from a good battery other than the old, sulfated, bloated, bad batteries that I have always ended up using to get lasting results.
                Thanks,
                Randy
                _

Comment

• Resting batteries

Matts right you have to give the batteries a chance to rest.
                  I thought it was fluff charge at first , but am not sure, batteries should not hold the same level of charge after multiple runs??
                  I built a switch ,so there was only a few mil-seconds between switching , whereas manually there was a couple minutes.

The longer it takes to switch, that is the more rest ,the stronger the batteries will be.

But they do charge, and hold it.
                  artv

Comment

• Randy,
                    After resting for a week while I was gone, my two good batteries I attempted to make transducers out of by pulse charging them with positive on the negative pole have gone back to positive, They are both sitting at .70 volts right now. So tomorrow I will hit them with the pulse charger again. Once I have them holding in the negative, I will do some test runs and let you know.

I am also going to do some test runs tomorrow with all positive batteries to see what I can do with that setup using three brand new batteries I purchased on my trip to AZ.

Dave

Comment

• Hi everybody. Revised my circuit to follow the circuit in post 2335. You can also use double pole double throw switches instead of relays. When I get all the parts together I will use switches, that way it will be easier to experiment without disconnecting and reconnecting batteries.
                      Switching ckt1b with load_schem.pdf
                      Relay1_schem.pdf
                      Relay2_schem.pdf
                      Relay3&4_schem.pdf

Comment

• Back to the fun

Hello to All,

Good to be back in US, wow so much to get done.

Caught up my reading on this forum, the new schematic from Randy looks interesting and challenging.

I don't have but one AGM battery, still testing with FLA batts. These FLA's are alum filled. Didn't get good results from this setup, will try the AGM ones.

Will also try to take an empty new battery, fill with crystal solution, let it crystallize and try it. Maybe waste of resources but some experiments are worth it.

Happy experimenting again,
                        wantomake

Comment

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-wB_UK-7oU
                          Strange behavior of b3

Comment

• Strange indeed

I was doing some different test's .
                            One was just using ,1 of my dead batteries ,to run my motor.
                            Since it kept charging up ( in the original set-up ) ,I decided to see how long it ( a dead battery ) would run a load ( my motor ) .
                            It ran for 12 hours ,all the way down to 5.4 volts.
                            The strange thing was as it ran, it would speed-up , and slow down, did this during the entire run.
                            Always when it sped up , the voltage reading climbed, slowed down drop.

I'm not sure how Batteries work , but am beginning to think they discharge or give off the stored energy in surges??

Comment

• yes and no.

Originally posted by shylo View Post
                              I was doing some different test's .
                              One was just using ,1 of my dead batteries ,to run my motor.
                              Since it kept charging up ( in the original set-up ) ,I decided to see how long it ( a dead battery ) would run a load ( my motor ) .
                              It ran for 12 hours ,all the way down to 5.4 volts.
                              The strange thing was as it ran, it would speed-up , and slow down, did this during the entire run.
                              Always when it sped up , the voltage reading climbed, slowed down drop.

I'm not sure how Batteries work , but am beginning to think they discharge or give off the stored energy in surges??
                              Hey shylo,
                              Check out post #1924 you'll see the link to the YouTube I posted. Same effects except with 12 vdc bulbs.
                              Strange indeed,
                              wantomake

Comment

• Strange battery behavior pt2 - YouTube
                                Strange battery behavior pt

Comment

Working...
                                X