No announcement yet.

Open Source Project for Tesla/Jackson Wireless Transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK this looks very promising, this is the calculation results i get if I double the Coil "A" length and use 24 volts as the primary cap charge at 437 Khz, with a 17 turn primary.

http://wv0v9q.bay.livefilestore.com/...c-3.jpg?psid=1

That is difficult to beleive. 2 joules per bang at 437 Khz, umm will it kill me .

That is with 12 watts or max current of 0.05 amperes at 240 volts. The average current is even less.

Does that realy mean 854000 jouls per second ? Somebody tell me it isn't going to be that powerfull, please .

Secondary voltage out says 128 volts.

Cheers

Comment

I must have missed some of your posts, i didnt realize how you had another coil there. Looks good so far. Also, with what i provided you secondaries will not be operating in triple resonance as the links provided by MonsieurM, interesting links by the way. Instead your two secondaries will electrically behave as if they were just one coil. You can follow MonsierM's links if you want to do all the calculations to achieve the triple resonance effect. Im not sure if anyone is certain weather tesla was actually using that effect or not. By no means is it necessary to get results however.

Comment

I generally just ignore that part of the calculation. As always be careful just play with low voltage, 12 volts will work fine for testing and will be safe, just watch out for charged capacitors, they are dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by cody View Post
          I must have missed some of your posts, i didnt realize how you had another coil there. Looks good so far. Also, with what i provided you secondaries will not be operating in triple resonance as the links provided by MonsieurM, interesting links by the way. Instead your two secondaries will electrically behave as if they were just one coil. You can follow MonsierM's links if you want to do all the calculations to achieve the triple resonance effect. Im not sure if anyone is certain weather tesla was actually using that effect or not. By no means is it necessary to get results however.
          Yeah cool, I'll just go with as close to the Tesla patent as I can get. Above coil "B" on the PVC tube I will wrap aluminuim foil and connect it to the wire near the coil top and drape it over the top of coil "B" the wire will go up the center of the PVC tube aswell and both the foil and the wire will join to the disc and toroid assembly, which will also be covered in foil. I'll put a pop rivet in the disc just off center for a pinpoint safety discharger (I just wont pop the rivet).

Untill you pointed it out I never did see that actual patent and so I didn't understand the drawing all by itself. Now I read the patent i understand it better.

Because I am new to this stuff and I am very interested in utilizing all type's of radiant energy using plate"p" setups, I thought I should make a transmitter receiver so I can compare the performance of a plate "P" with a dedicated receiver. So as to refine the plate "P" design and also trees instead of the plate "P", Like Monsieur suggests, if I have some prior experience I can better focus on the tree situation.

This arrangement of Tesla's is obviously where all the exciters come from.

What exactly should I call it ? Is it a magnifying transmitter ?

Cheers

Comment

It should end up looking something like this. Which is pretty close to Nikola's drawing and patent.

http://wv0v9q.bay.livefilestore.com/...002.JPG?psid=1

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by cody View Post
              So your setup will resonate at around 688KHz without the coil B. That seems pretty low for how short of a coil you have. You added in a toroid or sphere for the topload capacitance? Im assuming that you must have to get the frequency down that low.

Anyways, to answer your question about adding the other coil I will say this: those calculators are only so good, they will give you an idea but can be off a fair amount. We will just assume its close and your target frequency just with coil A is 688KHz. When you add coil B to that coil you are basically lengthening the coil, so you will essentially be adding inductance and self capacitance. The more inductance and capacitance, the lower the resonant frequency is. So your new frequency will be somewhere lower than 688KHz. One thing you could do is plug coil B's figures into one of the links i provided for just a reqular Helical coil. It will spit out coil B's inductance and self capacitance. Then you could go back into the coil calculator you just did and posted, and record coil A's inductance and capacitance. Then play with the coil diameter and length until the new inductance and capacitance matches what it would be if you added the figures from coil a and b. It will then spit out a new resonant frequency which should be lower than what it is now. But once again, that calculator is only so good, especially if your trying to rig the results like i described above. If it were me i would just build the thing and hook it up the the function gen with a scope probe nearby and could tell you within a minute what the resonant frequency is. If you dont have those available than i would build some oscillator circuit and hook it up and place a simple AV plug with an LED in it near the top of the coil, it will light up the brightest when you hit the main 1/4 wave resonance.
              I have a scope but it is a cheap analogue and only 5Mhz.

You mean to use the scope like I do in this video.
              YouTube - ‪AlternateFarmhand1's Channel‬‏

I forgot to post it earlier, it's a little embarrassing, but it is amazing how much one can learn in a short time. I had some fun with some flame plasma with that setup, but it is scrapped now, haha.

Orange stuff in a bulb
              YouTube - ‪AlternateFarmhand1's Channel‬‏

I think to wind my primaries I will just wrap a piece of cardboard around coil "A" to give me a space, then wrap a strip of plastic around that then wind the coil and attach it to the plasstic afterwards the cardboard can be removed and the primary will be moveable. I hope.

Comment

yea i think that was right. Here is a vid of Doc Stiffler explaining it.

YouTube - ‪How to measure srf or Spatial Resonant Frequency of a Coil‬‏

here is another good one

YouTube - ‪Tuning A Tesla Coil with an Oscilloscope‬‏

I would leave off the spark discharger point, that will radiate your energy away, and you dont want that if your trying to transmit power. But maybe you want that for some of your other experiments. You may want to cut slots in the hood too, you can just cut slits in it at the bottom going all the way to the bottom, otherwise the coil will think its another coil dead shorted on top of it.

Comment

Hi Cody, How many winds would you recomend i make for 12 volts and how close should I make the coupling you think. I was going to go with 17 or 23 turns right next to each other, however that would only cover 23 mm of 73 mm of the "A" coil, I can't decide.

I have about 20 turns (pre coiled) laying around a tooth-picket fence ready to wind som turns and glue the wire to some tooth picks. THe toothpicks will have only slight gap less than 1mm but the primary will be about 2mm clearance all around.

I think the hood is only needed for really high voltage to catch the energy trying to escape there and guide it up to the toroid, the metal tube acts like a big single pipe conductor, and from what I have read the energy from a Tesla coil runs across the windings to go straight up, then it seems when the coil ends(without the hood and tube) the energy scatters, so the hood and metal tube seem like a wave guide to me.

I also found out that connecting the two secondary coils together make's the inductance more than the sum of both, together they are 4.02mH but 2.09 + 1.51 equals 3.6 Hmmm, so that's good ?

Cheers

Comment

Here are some pics so far, not sure if the primaries will work like that. But I'll try it.

http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/...005.JPG?psid=1

http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/...006.JPG?psid=1

http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/...003.JPG?psid=1

Cheers

Comment

Haha,now that look's better, maybe just plain aluminium discs will be better on top. Just gotta mount them on something, and setup a circuit to excite the primary.

http://wv0v9q.bay.livefilestore.com/...001.JPG?psid=1

I might cut and attach a piece of aluminium pipe to each top disc so it hangs loosly inside.

I have to wait for the sun to come up so I can paint some boards or something.

Comment

That looks pretty good. Should work fine for some testing at 12V You are right about the hood being used to catch escaping energy. When playing with tesla coils at HV you might notice corona developing at the top of the coil, that is what the hood is for to keep it from leaking out. The secondary having more inductance is a good thing, it will lower the resonant frequency. Also the larger the toroid the lower the frequency, as well as the higher you mount the toroid from the coil the lower the frequency. Once you get playing with it you will notice the coils preform much better at lower frequency as long as the parameters are correct. Looks like your pretty much ready to go once you get an oscillator set up.

Comment

I gave it a tickle with the circuit I was already using and got a very wierd looking waveform with the scope probe hanging about a foot from the toroid.

This almost looks like 3D.
                          http://wv0v9q.bay.livefilestore.com/...004.JPG?psid=1

I put a 264uH inductor and a variable cap(40pf to 1300 in the "after circuit" as per the ignition coil patent. Seemed to work, this circuit would not work well with a coil of such low inductance, but now it can.

I got 38 Khz with the circuit the way it is, I can get over 200 if I put a 10 time's smaller timing capacitor on the oscillator. The transmitted power was rising but I ran out of frequency

Adjusting the variable cap is very fine tuning.

I've got some more wire I can put on the coil's if I want there is enough for 220 turns on each one or 110 mm. That will make 670 turns except the primary, I've got some polyester sealer to reinsulate the wire. I think I just need to make it a smooth.

The transmitting is definately working but weak, I have only one ground stake so far. I think I made the primary coupling a bit too loose for 12 volts.

And just a flat disc is woking better as the transmitter/receiver.

Cheers

Comment

The wave forms look like your not in tune yet. They should be a pure sine wave that have a high voltage peak once in tune. The system will work much better one you get it in tune, I would hold off on adding more wire until you get it working first. Is your circuit feeding DC square waves by chance? Also dont expect to get any good results trying to transmit through the ground if your just using 12V. I would just use a wire between the two coils for now, the voltage isnt high enough to overcome ground resistance. What i really like about these little setups is although they dont do so good through the ground, they are an excellent learning tool that is easy and safe to play with while learning exactly how to tune and load the system and how it behaves.

Comment

Yes youre right, square wave I did learn a lot today about the inductor-cap relationship in the primary circuit setup I used today, it did improve performance and give's very fine tuning. I really need to learn how to use PIC's. And I will soon.

But first I will try to max out this oscillator, it has a faulty electrolytic cap so i'll replace that and i'll put a 0.001uf timing cap in place of the 0.01uf it has now. I should get over 200 Khz then. Nowhere near the Mhz I will need but I can play with that for a bit, I have had one of these circuit's oscillating reliably at over 1 Mhz but it was impossible to tune acurately at that frequency with a 100k pot . I need to get a USB cable so I can start to learn to use the micro.

I found the optimum height for the primary which is much lower than I had it for the first test. I also had very poor electrical connections at the top in several places but it does work, I dare say with some tinkering it will be effective.

One thing is the final circuit to receive I have a 0.1uf non polarised cap across the transformer output then a FWBR, I measured a maximum 1.9 volts on the receiver using a 600mm square aluminium plate on the concrete for a ground, the transmitter read 3.9 volts AC measured directly with a meter.

That doesn't sound much, but the 1.9 volts is stepped down and rectified remotely from 3.9 volts AC on the transmitter secondary, so the transfer seems resonable considering the lack of tuning and the loose coupling with low voltage. Very promising really. The input power was less than 100 Ma when the best transfer took place but that is very low power.

I get the feeling that a direct ground wire between them won't work so good but I don't know why, something about tying them directly together, I'll try it again though.

Cheers

Comment

THis is the circuit I used today, without the extra inductor I would not have been able to pulse the primary because it's inductance is very little. A few uH is all the primary itself has.

http://wv0v9q.bay.livefilestore.com/...001.JPG?psid=1

I have other inductors to try and another broadcast cap identical to that one.
                                Maybe I need to use a tunable cap on the receiver too. Hmmm.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                                X