• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter Lindemann
    replied
    Correct

Originally posted by Mark View Post
    Peter

With the diode on the recovery brush being next to the negative brush it seems like it wouldn't be a real problem if there was a little bit of overlap. I'm getting ready to set up my brushes and want to make sure I collect all of the "spike". Too much of a gap and I'll miss it and too little of a gap and I'll have some overlap.

If the diode on the recovery brush was next to the positive brush we'd have power transfer with some over lap, I'm sure we dont want that. John K had posted a picture with this configuration a while back.

Just trying to figure out how critical the spacing is and if I should try to set up my brushes so I can adjust them.
    Mark,

You are right. A little bit of overlap is OK as long as the diode prevents conduction until the voltage reverses from the coil discharge. The main issue about the recovery brush placement is timing. The question is, how long does it take for the rotor winding to discharge? That depends on the impedance of the "load". A large resistor would take the longest. Dropping the discharge into a second battery would take the shortest. You want the recovery brush engaged long enough to fully discharge the winding.

A little overlap is fine. It prevents any arching when the power brush disengages and then leaves plenty of time for the winding to discharge to the second battery.

I don't think, for this first test, that you need to make your brushes adjustable.

Keep up the great work.

Peter

Leave a comment:

• pattester
    replied
    @ Brian
    I have done the same continuity tests as you with the multimeter and got the same expected results.
    I shorted the recovery wires but my motor doesnt slow down.
    With 12v input i get approx 6v recovery into a 4700uf 40v cap but i had to put the recovery diode on the brush after the positive input rather than the recovery brush after the negative as in Peters drawing.

My Motor is a 2 pole with only 1 coil, i dont know if this makes a difference?

Great videos

Pat

Leave a comment:

• Peter Lindemann
    replied
    Various Problems

Brian,

Thanks for showing your pictures. The rotor wound with the Zig-Zag winding looks GREAT. All of the problems you are seeing are related to your brush arrangement. When you switch over to the one I have recommended in Post #306, and connect your rotor wires to commutator segments 180* away from each other, the motor should behave differently.

After that, we can look at what your recovery brushes are connected to, and a voltage source that can deliver more current.

Peter
    Last edited by Peter Lindemann; 01-17-2011, 07:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FRC
    replied
    Current State

In my # 320 post. I just realized with the two poles working it could still be used in a Lockridge setup if I made a commutator with two sets of brushes.
    I had not considered that for this motor.

FRC
    Last edited by FRC; 01-17-2011, 05:27 PM. Reason: corrections

Leave a comment:

• gmeat
    replied
    Brian, In your last video you posted it appears that you forgot to check for conduction between the second (white)power winding and your (black) recovery winding.So could you just confirm that for us so as we can be assured that this wasn't overlooked.Thx

-Gary

Leave a comment:

• dragon
    replied
    I would think there shouldn't be any disruption in motor function when the recovery brushes are shorted. It should be a completely separate system from the motor. If it's operating like a generator at the point of discharge where when you short the leads it goes into full load opposing the rotation... maybe the diode should be reversed?
    ________
    How to roll a blunt
    Last edited by dragon; 05-11-2011, 11:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• FRC
    replied
    Can Someone help ?

After seeing all your posts and videos about winding, and Peter mentioning that
    the motor would be like a Bedini with more torque and no electronics. I went back and rewound the 5 inch fan from my failed Bedini fan kit. I posted this on another thread:

Ok, I rewound one of the coils with # 24 gauge and managed to break off one of the wires from another coil. So unwound that one. Rewound this one # 24 again so now even two of each. Put it back together, one set the motor works.
    Other set does not. So if hooked up to circuit would get fan but no charging.
    Current is going through coils that did not work. So does this mean that coil
    was wound backwards instead of clockwise and has to be rewound?

Update
    -------
    Took fan apart again and reconfigured the wiring without having to rewind the coils. Now
    all four coils are functioning properly.

FRC
    Last edited by FRC; 01-17-2011, 10:14 PM. Reason: problem solved

Leave a comment:

• Mark
    replied
    Peter

With the diode on the recovery brush being next to the negative brush it seems like it wouldn't be a real problem if there was a little bit of overlap. I'm getting ready to set up my brushes and want to make sure I collect all of the "spike". Too much of a gap and I'll miss it and too little of a gap and I'll have some overlap.

If the diode on the recovery brush was next to the positive brush we'd have power transfer with some over lap, I'm sure we dont want that. John K had posted a picture with this configuration a while back.

Just trying to figure out how critical the spacing is and if I should try to set up my brushes so I can adjust them.

@Brian
    I dont think its a problem that the motor slows down when you short out the recovery or are attaching a load, I think thats normal.

Leave a comment:

• Matthew Jones
    replied
    Originally posted by n84dafun View Post
    Here are videos of my motor running and pictures of the rotor wound in a zig-zag fashion:
    Does anyone have any theory as to why the motor bogs down when I short the capture leads? I can't figure it out.

Brian
    It may be that your generating to some extent. Pulling a load off of a generator will slow you down.
    With the Zig Zag pattern your on time very well might not clear the coil from the magnet. Follow Me.
    The solution may be to use 2 commutator blocks for the power cycle. That will throw the coil out of the magnets range before you start recovering.

Then again you may just want to setup a recover for higher voltage and run that thing with a higher amount of voltage. But you had better recover into batteries, those little caps fill up too fast.

Nice work though, I happy to see the motor worked out.

Matt

Leave a comment:

• n84dafun
    replied
    Motor running and tests

Here are videos of my motor running and pictures of the rotor wound in a zig-zag fashion:

YouTube - Lockridge-Modified Motor - Step 1

YouTube - Lockridge motor bogging down

YouTube - Lockridge motor power and capture brushes

Does anyone have any theory as to why the motor bogs down when I short the capture leads? I can't figure it out.

Brian

Last edited by n84dafun; 01-25-2011, 04:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Peter Lindemann
    replied
    Recovery System?

Originally posted by rosehillworks View Post
    Mark. My motor has 4 brushes +1 -2 +3 -4 and I have my winding connected to the commutator at brushes 1 and 2 it then goes to 2 and 3 then to 3 and 4 then to 4 and 1 then it starts back at 1 and 2. This is how it has 4 power pulses for every time it goes around. I hope this helps. William
    William,

That is an interesting way to run the motor. It sounds like you don't have a recovery system in place, so you are rapidly frying your commutator. If you don't stop running it, you will cause such deep pitting of the copper it will never be right again. Good luck with your experiments.

Peter

Leave a comment:

• rosehillworks
    replied
    Mark. My motor has 4 brushes +1 -2 +3 -4 and I have my winding connected to the commutator at brushes 1 and 2 it then goes to 2 and 3 then to 3 and 4 then to 4 and 1 then it starts back at 1 and 2. This is how it has 4 power pulses for every time it goes around. I hope this helps. William

Leave a comment:

• Mark
    replied
    Originally posted by rosehillworks View Post
    Peter Thank you for telling us how to wind our motors zig zag. I did mine that way. My motor is like the one Matt has , I am pulsing mine 4 times per revolution it has good speed and power, and I only have one zig zag coil on it, I am thinking about putting a second coil on it so I can get 8 pulses per revolution. It is running cool with one coil. Do you think to coils and eight pulses per revolution may be to much to get good recovery or is that going to be OK? I have to have to sets of recovery brushes this way so it is a little harder to do. I hope to learn as much as I can. William Reed.
    William your setup is puzzling to me. (Not that I haven't been puzzled enough already) For you to have 4 pulses per revolution you would need 8 brushes and have 2 repulsion and 2 attraction modes per revolution. And if you filled up the slots when you wound your first coil how you would even be able to wind a second coil. And if you did put 2 coils on you would need 16 brushes.

Leave a comment:

• rosehillworks
    replied
    Zig zag

Peter Thank you for telling us how to wind our motors zig zag. I did mine that way. My motor is like the one Matt has , I am pulsing mine 4 times per revolution it has good speed and power, and I only have one zig zag coil on it, I am thinking about putting a second coil on it so I can get 8 pulses per revolution. It is running cool with one coil. Do you think to coils and eight pulses per revolution may be to much to get good recovery or is that going to be OK? I have to have to sets of recovery brushes this way so it is a little harder to do. I hope to learn as much as I can. William Reed.
    Last edited by rosehillworks; 01-17-2011, 02:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• n84dafun
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark View Post
    n84dafun,

Just wanted to let you know that you inspired me to have a 3rd go of it. I said heck if he can do it so can I. Finally got all the wire off and have rewound my rotor. I used 20awg, looks like it originally might have had 22awg on it to begin with. I'll tackle the commutator tomorrow and see what I have.

Another thing I was thinking about is if you hook things up wrong and the rotor just locks up because the polarity is wrong. With a 4 pole set up we can just turn the cover that has the commutator on it 90 degree. With the little gap between the magnets we'll have a little timing to play with also.

Mark

P.S. Glad we could help Peter
    Mark,

I'm glad you didn't give up on your rotor. It would have been a waste. I think you can just switch the pos with neg power terminal instead. But I agree there is that option to change the timing.

Brian

Leave a comment:

Working...
X