No announcement yet.

Donald Smith Devices too good to be true

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It could be that the initial charging of the empty supercap drains the battery and when fully charged the battery recovers.

But it shouldn't recover if I'm still pulling current from it?

Comment

• hi nick z.keen to see more info from you and mr clean.interesting observations you've raised recently.
      Last edited by hotrod68r; 03-06-2013, 09:57 AM.

Comment

• hi janost.can you confirm your supercap is .47f.i went to buy same today and had a choice between .047f and1f.so i got 1 of the latter.there's a fair size diff and the little one looked about the size of yours but hard to tell.cheers.

Comment

• Originally posted by hotrod68r View Post
          hi janost.can you confirm your supercap is .47f.i went to buy same today and had a choice between .047f and1f.so i got 1 of the latter.there's a fair size diff and the little one looked about the size of yours but hard to tell.cheers.
          Yes, it is 0.47F 5.5v and has an ESR of 30ohm.

The 1F caps have lower ESR and can deliver a higher current.

I was looking at getting a huge one like 10F, 100F and even 1000F to run the JT on a cap alone.
          But the large ones are only 2.5v so it would require 2 of them and they are not cheap.
          Last edited by janost; 03-06-2013, 10:57 AM.

Comment

• cheers.any thoughts about the notion of batteries and caps becoming conditioned/more efficient over time in these applications?

Comment

cheers.any thoughts about the notion of batteries and caps becoming conditioned/more efficient over time in these applications?
              There are lots of papers out about pulsed discharge of batteries.
              They mostly say it extends their discharge time.

Comment

• should that be pulsed charging.

Comment

should that be pulsed charging.
                  No, discharging,
                  like in cellphone batteries and packet transmission.
                  The transmitter draws current from the battery during a packet of data.
                  And a cellphone transmitter is over 1watt.

Comment

maybe a supercap is more receptive to the spike.i've got a half arsed theory that instantly on swich off isn't the best time to feed a pulse to a battery.maybe current has some sort of pseudo inertia or something within a battery.just a gut feeling more than anything else.power on.
                    I'v been thinking like you that the spike goes better into the cap than the battery.

But the scopeshot shows the current through the resistor at the battery and the cap is after the 0.3ohm resistor.

And still there is a current pulse back to the battery

It could be that the cap is already broken due to my overvolts and has no effect in the circuit?
                    I have to desolder it and measure if it can hold a charge.
                    Last edited by janost; 03-06-2013, 12:30 PM.

Comment

• the elna datasheet for db series supercap,like i got a 1f of,lists max operating v as 5.5 all models.sounds like it's new tech,maybe nano tech with no margin on that limit. anyone got more info on them.can they self heal.etc.
                      Last edited by hotrod68r; 03-06-2013, 01:37 PM.

Comment

• Now it charges again.
                        The supercap was gone so I replaced it with a 4700uF cap.

The voltage over the dropresistor is barely measurable with my scope.

It also flashes a NE-2 Neonbulb on the secondary while running.

The voltage is climbing on the battery without using any other power
                        Attached Files

Comment

• I noticed on my version of the LS cross-over circuit that the battery will drain to 1/10 of its starting voltage, then charge itself back up to the same starting voltage, then drain again, and recharge back to starting voltage. After two weeks running in this manner with no additional input, the 1.5 volt battery gave out, but it was a very old alkaline D cell. The problem is that when the battery is at the low setting the led(s), were not very bright. An earth ground improves performance, and bulb brightness.
                          Interesting circuit, but did not give much light overall, although it did appear to self-charge.
                          Here is a pic, and the diagram:
                          Last edited by Nick_Z; 04-23-2013, 12:17 AM.

Comment

• hi nick z.the magnet connected in the circuit in your schematic is a bit unique.did it work better like that?any thoughts on it.cheers.

Comment

• Hotrod:
                              Although I do hear a difference in the tone of the ringing sound when applying one or more magnets to the ferrite coil circuits, I don't really see much difference in the brightness of the bulb. My idea was to try to increase the working frequency of the circuits to the point of not being able to hear anything at all. Although it does lessen the ringing noise being generated somewhat, only a slight improvement is noticed as far as bulb brightness is concerned.
                              My wife and especially my daughters will not tolerate my ringing coils in the house, as they can't stand it. I find that once the circuits kick in to its secondary higher resonance point, the ringing always gets very audible, magnets, or no magnets. At least so far. But, the light from the 25watt Cfl will light my entire (small) house, to very useable levels. Considering it's just a single bulb, but lighting up several more bulbs would really do the trick.
                              I'm only using 10v, and less than 1.4 amps from a wall adapter. Using 15v or higher output, will almost double the lumin output. But, at 10v, there is no heat being given off by the transistors, at all.
                              Last edited by Nick_Z; 03-07-2013, 06:07 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick_Z View Post
                                Hotrod:
                                Although I do hear a difference in the tone of the ringing sound when applying one or more magnets to the ferrite coil circuits, I don't really see much difference in the brightness of the bulb. My idea was to try to increase the working frequency of the circuits to the point of not being able to hear anything at all. Although it does lessen the ringing noise being generated somewhat, only a slight improvement is noticed as far as bulb brightness is concerned.
                                My wife and especially my daughters will not tolerate my ringing coils in the house, as they can't stand it. I find that once the circuits kick in to its secondary higher resonance point, the ringing always gets very audible, magnets, or no magnets. At least so far. But, the light from the 25watt Cfl will light my entire (small) house, to very useable levels. Considering it's just a single bulb, but lighting up several more bulbs would really do the trick.
                                I'm only using 10v, and less than 1.4 amps from a wall adapter. Using 15v or higher output, will almost double the lumin output. But, at 10v, there is no heat being given off by the transistors, at all.
                                I agree with your wife and daughters Nick, the ringing really annoys me, I
                                already can hear the noise from my computer power supply and what sounds
                                like the graphics card fan ( it must have transistors in it ). Animals can hear
                                it too so it could conceivably cause a dog to be irritable or ignorant as well, I noticed
                                my little dog goes away when I start up a ringing coil, with his ears down too.

I think for humans, children can hear higher frequencies than adults due to
                                wear and tear on adults ears but some adults have better hearing than others
                                so anyway I think for children it up to about 20 kHz or so and for adults more
                                like 10 kHz. Above 20 is inaudible for me, I can hear 16 kHz though only just. I think 40 kHz should be inaudible for all humans.

Hearing range - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Going by the info in the link above a good rat dog could be rendered less
                                effective by being exposed to too much HF noise. Become unable to hear them.

Maybe a good 65 kHz ringing device might drive away mice and rats but not annoy the dog.

If you have a pet dolphin good luck, they can hear up to 150 kHz.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                                X