Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mr.clean View Post
    YES, definitely the problem,

Hey, question.. i want to use a relay and this other square gen i made for cap pulsing at 60hz to output,

(i know about the resistor/lowing freq and volt divider arrangement)

But i want to try it this way, to keep the caps charged rather than dumping all at once everytime.

Ive been looking around, but no one is using 600+ volt caps and a relay w/signal gen,

how to keep these charged and pulse at 60hz?? any advice?
    Mr Clean... you could use the schematic I posted in http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...tml#post178150 replacing the rotary gap with a SPDT relay to drive an output transformer ( basically making an inverter circuit with the relay as a switching device ).

One advantage of this is, using 2 caps in series your running at 1/2 the system voltage through the transformer - discharging one cap at a time.

If you size the caps quite a bit smaller than the storage caps they will fill in short order and not remove a lot of energy from the charged bank of caps. Just for clarification, say your charged bank of caps is 30uf total which at 600 volts would be around 5.4 Joules. Your inverter caps in series could be in the range of 2 uf each ( 1 uf in series to be charged ). These would hold a total of .36 Joules or an energy difference of 15 to 1. (Edit: this would be about 40 watts output at 60hz) There wouldn't be a lot removed from the bank to fill the smaller caps per discharge. Your filling the bank at a higher frequency so you have time between discharges to replace what was used. Charging at 50khz and discharging at 60hz or 833:1.

You can really get the energy difference between the bank and output caps up there when you alter the output voltage. Using the 600 volt output of the bank and reducing it to say 150 volts on the output caps. Which would be an energy difference of 240:1 . The higher the ratio the less work you need to do on the input side but you also reduce the output so it depends on the loads your trying to run.

Your basically playing a time game between the 2 systems....
    Last edited by dragon; 02-01-2012, 04:00 AM.

Comment

• matching L1 and L2

Just a quick link for folks who have a scope and signal gen / function gen avaliable the video on this web page demostrates out to discover the resonant point of L1 and then adjust L2 for the same 1/4 wave resonance Oscilloscope Tuning a Tesla Coil for Resonance
      Whatever you can do,or dream you can,begin it.Boldness has genius,power and magic in it.Begin it now.

Comment

• @boguslaw
        Did you ever implement the setup Zilano gave to you in this reply:
        http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...tml#post165080

Regards,
        Bert
        Last edited by bbem; 02-01-2012, 03:03 PM.

Comment

• Had an idea just now, it hit me from nowhere. Let me know if you think its b@llocks or not please.

Output 12v-14v into something like: SPL 12.0 FARAD 12V DC/16V DC SURGE POWER CAR CAPACITOR W/ DIGITAL BLUE VOLTAGE | eBay

with a 12v to 110v/240 inverter.

When the inverter is switched by a load being connected the resonant circuit is also activated.

When the load is disconnected from the inverter the resonant circuit is switched off.

Comment

• very cool

Originally posted by Farmhand View Post
            If using DC is working for you keep doing it, if the object is low input and
            there is no overheating then it's all good. If it works for you is the main thing.

I've been thinking about the relay idea but so far I'm skint for idea's on that.
            I'm thinking a relay might fuse up. 600 volts is a difficult range to deal with.

I'm using this supply for Tesla coils and stuff, I want to be able to put 10 or
            20 amps through the 12 volt switches which they should take no probs they
            are rated to 30 amps each. 10 seems no probs since I doubled the wire in and
            out of the fets on the board and the voltage drop reduced too. I should
            measure the resistance of the entire current paths.

Cheers
            oh would LOVE to see ur setup!
            In the beginner's mind, there are many possibilities.
            In the expert's mind there are few.
            -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

• good one

Originally posted by dragon View Post
              Mr Clean... you could use the schematic I posted in http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...tml#post178150 replacing the rotary gap with a SPDT relay to drive an output transformer ( basically making an inverter circuit with the relay as a switching device ).

One advantage of this is, using 2 caps in series your running at 1/2 the system voltage through the transformer - discharging one cap at a time.

If you size the caps quite a bit smaller than the storage caps they will fill in short order and not remove a lot of energy from the charged bank of caps. Just for clarification, say your charged bank of caps is 30uf total which at 600 volts would be around 5.4 Joules. Your inverter caps in series could be in the range of 2 uf each ( 1 uf in series to be charged ). These would hold a total of .36 Joules or an energy difference of 15 to 1. (Edit: this would be about 40 watts output at 60hz) There wouldn't be a lot removed from the bank to fill the smaller caps per discharge. Your filling the bank at a higher frequency so you have time between discharges to replace what was used. Charging at 50khz and discharging at 60hz or 833:1.

You can really get the energy difference between the bank and output caps up there when you alter the output voltage. Using the 600 volt output of the bank and reducing it to say 150 volts on the output caps. Which would be an energy difference of 240:1 . The higher the ratio the less work you need to do on the input side but you also reduce the output so it depends on the loads your trying to run.

Your basically playing a time game between the 2 systems....
              OMG BRILLIANT, makes sense.

And the caps are 660volts 30uf EACH ......X4 ...i have used 8 as well, but 4 seems to be good.
              All in parallel, so 660v @120uf, just replaced my lights and trying varieties, ultimately use isolation, but THANKS for this
              In the beginner's mind, there are many possibilities.
              In the expert's mind there are few.
              -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

• Originally posted by boguslaw View Post
                Here you see something interesting :
                Качер2.MP4 - YouTube

Another miconception broken ; we can charge low voltage capacitor from HV output.
                If rate of charge would be too fast then a protection device is useful for example varactor or transil or varistor....
                If this is true this is a very good find!

Comment

• Originally posted by bbem View Post
                  If this is true this is a very good find!
                  See yourself. I predicted it previously but I'm slow in building anything so my circuit stuck with mechanical rotary interrupter :-( I simply do not know how to switch currents from capacitor around 900V and higher. Basically I would do that : discharge bank of capacitors into specila coil and collect flyback spikes into large 25V capacitor protected via varistor + transil + anything else. This should work. Not much Ou but enough to make it running veeerry looong or maybe even close loop.

This what you see on video is OU prediction, just think how to make many many "spikers" like katcher with multi multi outputs

Unfortunately I'm only thinker and building is not my strong side. I have many devices in various stages of preparation but every one is dead incomplete

Comment

• resonant coils

Originally posted by dragon View Post
                    One way to assure both L1 tank and L2 secondary is resonant with each other is to find the values of the primary tank and reverse them for the secondary, or visa versa using the secondary values to build a primary.

For instance if you have a 15uh inductor and a 5000pf cap as the primary it will be resonant at 581khz. If you make the secondary coil with a 5000uh inductor with a total capacitance of 15 pf (interwinding and top load ) it will also be resonant at 581khz ( 581,151.68 hz to be precise ).

Simply reverse the values and you have a 2 coil resonant structure.
                    Interesting this you're using the formula for this I suppose. In my case I should find the right cap cause I don't have adjustable freq at the moment.
                    Thanks

Comment

• I made up a spreadsheet quite a while ago to make calculating resonant circuits a bit quicker. I'd post it but the file ext .xlsx isn't one on the accepted list.

Another quick method is to cut 2 wires the exact same length. Wind one on a core, the other cut into 4 equal sections and solder the ends together to make one 4 stranded wire. This will get you close to resonance and both coils will have the exact amount of wire mass. You can calculate the length and frequency but when you increase its self inductance ( winding it into a coil ) the frequency will drop. This method still requires matching capacitance on the primary and of course the load on the secondary.

Comment

• Resonsance

Is the calculation for resonance in a caduceus coil the same as a standard coil?
                        Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by mr.clean View Post
                          oh would LOVE to see ur setup!
                          There's not that much to see really, here's the bottom half of the transmitter
                          I'm trying to build similar to Tesla's Colorado Springs setup. It's about 1:40 scale.
                          I used too thick of wire for the coils so It won't be possible to keep
                          everything in scale. The two MOT's are there and I'm using the output of both
                          to double the voltage by half wave rectifying it. One side + the other -. There
                          is a drawing there too.

http://www.energeticforum.com/177091-post98.html

Not long after I took those pics I fired the setup up with no grounds
                          which has caused some problems, I thought i fixed it but I am still plagued by
                          a stuttering effect like sudden shorts at high power I'm waiting for the
                          reclaimed MOT's to dry out to try again. This time with the grounds checked
                          and checked again. Experimenting as I go of course.

I'm thinking of using a voltage doubler now instead of two MOT's if I can get
                          the same cap charging from it I will, because two MOT's are heavy.

Or did you mean the converter ?

Cheers

Comment

• Mains generation

Hi folks,
                            if you look at some Russian circuits you will see them using an additional winding being driven by an extra sine wave generator (frequency conforming local mains conditions). This coil seems to de-tune the setup in the rhythm of mains frequency. As tuning is a very sophisticated matter - a de-tuning can be performed easily. Additionally there is no need to switch high voltage / current like at a switched converter. They control the generation of power itself. The energy originates not in the material world so there are no losses to cool down.
                            I might be wrong in my interpretation but we need to think on this.
                            rgds John
                            Last edited by JohnStone; 02-02-2012, 11:50 AM.
                            Experts spend hours a day in order to question their doing while others stopped thinking feeling they were professionals.

Comment

• I'm still tryng to get my head around what exactly is happening in the video and what the circuit would be for what he is doing.

The low voltage capacitor video I mean.
                              Last edited by soundiceuk; 02-03-2012, 11:28 AM. Reason: Additional info

Comment

• Nice!!

Wow John, very nice!!

Originally posted by JohnStone View Post
                                Hi folks,
                                if you look at some Russian circuits you will see them using an additional winding being driven by an extra sine wave generator (frequency conforming local mains conditions). This coil seems to de-tune the setup in the rhythm of mains frequency. As tuning is a very sophisticated matter - a de-tuning can be performed easily. Additionally there is no need to switch high voltage / current like at a switched converter. They control the generation of power itself. The energy originates not in the material world so there are no losses to cool down.
                                I might be wrong in my interpretation but we need to think on this.
                                rgds John

Comment

Working...
                                X