Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packages to UK

Hi

I have just be chatting to Diana at Imperial re shipping UK. Kit price is correct at $276.15, she will have by end of week package weight/size for shipping - I will post up-details when she gives me them. She thinks she can get a good shipping deal because of the company volume.

Notwithstanding Diana's deal, I took a few shipping quotes this morning and it looks cheaper to send 2+ packages of the same size(kits) rather than individual packages to one address, for example price for 1 = £95, 2 = £71 each, 3 = £65 each - just to give an indication, based on a 12kg wt.

Regards

John

Comment

• "Dear friends"
      As I cannot afford the imperial motor conversion, nor the mec alte gen. I`ll keep on experimenting with smaller machines.
      I wish for you all the greatest of success in your replications, as it will be a great benefit for the whole.
      Meanwhile I have updated the winding PDF, in which I included some info about the imperial motor that I think may be pertinent for quick reference

Here´s the link: ASYMETRIC WINDING v 01 Nov 2012.pdf

Ufo: if any type of document simmilar to this PDF is needed in helping aleviate your work, just PM me, as it will a pleasure to contribute here as much I can.

regards
      Alvaro

Comment

• Thanks Interdesign

Originally posted by interdesign21 View Post
        "Dear friends"
        As I cannot afford the imperial motor conversion, nor the mec alte gen. I`ll keep on experimenting with smaller machines.
        I wish for you all the greatest of success in your replications, as it will be a great benefit for the whole.
        Meanwhile I have updated the winding PDF, in which I included some info about the imperial motor that I think may be pertinent for quick reference

Here´s the link: ASYMETRIC WINDING v 01 Nov 2012.pdf

Ufo: if any type of document simmilar to this PDF is needed in helping aleviate your work, just PM me, as it will a pleasure to contribute here as much I can.

regards
        Alvaro

Hello Interdesign,

Excellent work on that update, looks great!

Thanks for all your kind help here, I will let you know.

Regards

Ufopolitics
        Principles for the Development of a Complete Mind: Study the science of art. Study the art of science. Develop your senses- especially learn how to see. Realize that everything connects to everything else.― Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• Originally posted by machinealive View Post
          Hey Dad Hav,
          I was only kidding about getting your check book out.

Dad Hav you are a funny guy

your killing me

Machine
          Machine. I actually have an old leather hat and pilot's goggles and was gonna take a picture with it on but that would have taken something that was maybe just a little tongue n cheek to something ridiculous. I know you're kidding and I think the builds are in capable hands. I go back to my little build once in a while and experiment. I found something the other day that looked a little interesting. It looked like with the motor running with the two commutators in series (Half the KV) the current draw was not linear to the voltage increase and RPM or at least maybe not in the same proportion of the original RS motor. This would be a good surprise but it was with no load and I haven't spent enough time to say for sure. I'll let you know if it checks out, or maybe someone else has info on this. Ha, maybe I will get the check book out. I've been reading about 12 21 12 and it seems it's based on the birthday of Christ. Well the problem with that it seems is no one really knows within 7 years what year he was born. Or at least thats what I read. In short the time could have passed or be years away. So don't rush your motors, Take your time and do a good build, you'll probably have some time to enjoy them yet.
          Good Luck
          John Hav.

Comment

• Originally posted by john_g View Post
            Hi
            I have just be chatting to Diana at Imperial re shipping UK. Kit price is correct at $276.15, she will have by end of week package weight/size for shipping - I will post up-details when she gives me them. She thinks she can get a good shipping deal because of the company volume.

Notwithstanding Diana's deal, I took a few shipping quotes this morning and it looks cheaper to send 2+ packages of the same size(kits) rather than individual packages to one address, for example price for 1 = £95, 2 = £71 each, 3 = £65 each - just to give an indication, based on a 12kg wt.
            Thanks for posting the UK shipping info John. Certainly of interest to me. Please do post the shipping prices once Imperial provide them.

JJUK

Comment

• johnny

hi thanks john stone and ufo .i am working on the info for the motors now i hope you like other picture the big motor is not doing so well yet?
              Attached Files

Comment

• Hey Folks,

UFO, how is the sanding going, have you started winding yet?

I called Northern tools, to see prices, $349.00, plus $70.00 shipping. None in till friday, 15-21 days shipping, so thats a no go.

I can get a new gen, champion from canadian tire, whole unit for $999., but not sure if it's brushless,yet.

"This heavy duty generator features 6500W continuous power and 7800W peak power
                Powered by a 13 hp Champion gasoline OHV engine
                240 and 120V twistlock and 120V - 20A duplex
                74 dB
                Three function digital display
                10 hours run time at half load"

Will keep checking landfill, metal recyclers, and ebay

Comment

• Hello Machine

Originally posted by machinealive View Post
                  Hey Folks,

UFO, how is the sanding going, have you started winding yet?

I called Northern tools, to see prices, $349.00, plus $70.00 shipping. None in till friday, 15-21 days shipping, so thats a no go.

I can get a new gen, champion from canadian tire, whole unit for $999., but not sure if it's brushless,yet.

"This heavy duty generator features 6500W continuous power and 7800W peak power
                  Powered by a 13 hp Champion gasoline OHV engine
                  240 and 120V twistlock and 120V - 20A duplex
                  74 dB
                  Three function digital display
                  10 hours run time at half load"

Will keep checking landfill, metal recyclers, and ebay
                  Hello Machine,

I have been involved in building the frame assy and face to face brackets to couple machines...have not done the sanding/winding yet...that I will kill it in a long evening...

I would not spent the money in buying a whole thing...with gas engine and all...you are wasting money...be patient...we will get there.

For some reason the Generator I have have the frame assy that looks like a 4500 KVA but label reads 6000 KVA...
                  I had to go to Mecc Alte to make sure and the part # is S16W-130, the version made for 3600 RPM's...and the one for Europe is same number but outputs at 3000/ 5.7 KVA

This are the spec's:

S16W 2Poles - Meccalte - (Version JPG) - PDF Catalogue | Technical Documentation | Brochure

Try searching other sources...there are many, maybe even local to you...

Regards

Ufopolitics

Edit:
                  I found this distributor for Canada and US...direct from Mecc Alte

U.S.A. and Canada
                  Mecc Alte Inc.
                  1229 Adams Drive
                  McHenry, IL, 60051
                  Tel. 815/344-0530 Fax 815/344-0535
                  Email: info@meccalte.us

This page have main dist.
                  Contacts
                  Last edited by Ufopolitics; 12-04-2012, 08:20 PM.
                  Principles for the Development of a Complete Mind: Study the science of art. Study the art of science. Develop your senses- especially learn how to see. Realize that everything connects to everything else.― Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• Originally posted by Ufopolitics View Post
                    Hello Machine,

I have been involved in building the frame assy and face to face brackets to couple machines...have not done the sanding/winding yet...that I will kill it in a long evening...

I would not spent the money in buying a whole thing...with gas engine and all...you are wasting money...be patient...we will get there.

For some reason the Generator I have have the frame assy that looks like a 4500 KVA but label reads 6000 KVA...
                    I had to go to Mecc Alte to make sure and the part # is S16W-130, the version made for 3600 RPM's...and the one for Europe is same number but outputs at 3000/ 5.7 KVA

This are the spec's:

S16W 2Poles - Meccalte - (Version JPG) - PDF Catalogue | Technical Documentation | Brochure

Try searching other sources...there are many, maybe even local to you...

Regards

Ufopolitics

Edit:
                    I found this distributor for Canada and US...direct from Mecc Alte

U.S.A. and Canada
                    Mecc Alte Inc.
                    1229 Adams Drive
                    McHenry, IL, 60051
                    Tel. 815/344-0530 Fax 815/344-0535
                    Email: info@meccalte.us

This page have main dist.
                    Contacts

Hello UFO and all, i am having trouble (just as UFO predicted) in finding Commutators for MAG3 scratch build.

Most companies list them in their catalouges but don't keep them on the shelf.

What i need is a pair - 3.5" to 5" brush dia - around 1" bore - length not important - and of course 36 or 72 bar. the only ones i have found are $450.00 each!.

Can any body help?.

Regards Cornboy.
                    Last edited by Cornboy 555; 12-05-2012, 10:49 PM.

Comment

• Skinny Sticks

Greetings all:

I was looking for something to use to secure the windings in place on the armature of my motor. The original had wooden pieces of half-round slid into the armature slots and varnished into place.

WalMart has 'Skinny Sticks' in their Hobby/Craft department. They worked well on my armature when split down the middle. Just slide one into the groove, then trim to fit.

Another option was to find some half-round strips like that used in basket weaving. Found Skinny Sticks first. (Or, buy a few boxes of PopSicles and enjoy them while working on your motor.)

Enjoy,

glen

Comment

• Check this one out...

Originally posted by Cornboy 555 View Post
                        Hello UFO and all, i am having trouble (just as UFO predicted) in finding Commutators for MAG3 scratch build.

Most companies list them in their catalouges but don't keep them on the shelf.

What i need is a pair - 3.5" to 5" brush dia - around 1" bore - length not important - and of course 36 or 72 bar. the only ones i have found are $450.00 each!.

Can any body help?.

Regards Cornboy.

Hello Cornboy,

Check this one out...not sure about dimensions are too small for your project...

36 Bar 1.49" Brush Diameter Commutator QB818

Next one I believe is the one you are saying...72 bars, $450 USD

72 Bar 3.30" Brush Diameter Commutator 72

There has to be something "in between"...give them a call

Regards

Ufopolitics
                        Last edited by Ufopolitics; 12-04-2012, 09:34 PM.

Comment

• Thanks UFO

Originally posted by Ufopolitics View Post
                          Hello Cornboy,

Check this one out...not sure about dimensions are too small for your project...

36 Bar 1.49" Brush Diameter Commutator QB818

Next one I believe is the one you are saying...72 bars, $450 USD

72 Bar 3.30" Brush Diameter Commutator 72

There has to be something "in between"...give them a call

Regards

Ufopolitics

Hello UFO, hope all is well friend, yeh first is too small for 6 large brushes, second is the one, and have asked them about (shop soiled or slightly damaged stock).

Trying India comms,but dubious about quality, if MAG3 is successful it will be doing hard work.

Will keep trying, no hurry, (maybe).

Regards Cornboy.
                          Last edited by Cornboy 555; 01-18-2013, 06:37 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by laserjo View Post
                            .... i hope you like other picture the big motor is not doing so well yet?
                            Hi laserjo,
                            sorry for your lost commutator. Possible reason - see below:

@ALL: If you press the second commutator on to the shaft please do it UFO-like.
                            1. He suggests to widen the hole of the commutator or sand down the shaft until the commutator slides smooth to its place by hand.
                            2. Make some marks on the shaft with a chisle parallel to the length of the shaft.
                            3. Press the commutator to its place. The markings will prevent it from turning on the shaft later on and same time limits pressure..
                            This way you do not explode your commutator.

If being fixed by pressure only it needs pressure like a ball bearing but the tiny ring inside the commutator can not hold the pressure.. Perhaps DadHav can do the precision machining to get the right balance of forces - me not and most of us not. So Ufo recomments to fix the commutator in place by means of chisle markings. (I hope my restricted English is understandable - if not please repost a corrected version)
                            JohnS
                            Experts spend hours a day in order to question their doing while others stopped thinking feeling they were professionals.

Comment

• Hello all, My UFO kit is on the way. My wife said Diane was very nice on the phone.
                              Garry

Comment

• Sorry again

Originally posted by Ufopolitics View Post
                                Anything you need my friend...CAD with all details?, 3D Explanation?...Full HD Colors?...THX George Lucas Sound Systems?...

You've got it...

Just ask.

Regards

Ufopolitics

Hello UFO, sorry but could you please send 36 Pole CAD again, the one you sent had no dimentions on it.

Thanks Busy Friend.

Regards Cornboy.

Comment

Working...
                                X