No announcement yet.

Bedini Solid State Oscillators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I only ask because I have read about someone elses experiences with solid state and they were under the impression the scr was making the audible clicking noise.
    "Once you've come to the conclusion that what what you know already is all you need to know, then you have a degree in disinterest." - John Dobson

Comment

It was the polarity of the cap being hooked up in reverse causing the clicking. It was also keeping the voltage from climbing past 72v. I swapped both of them around and now the clicking is gone and I get a steady 2.203 khz on both negative and positive output. The cap also is moving up quickly beyond 300v when I checked. It only puts out a single gnat noise now.

Now we'll see how the radiant night treats it.

Comment

nice
        "Once you've come to the conclusion that what what you know already is all you need to know, then you have a degree in disinterest." - John Dobson

Comment

For 555 timers I use this online calculator:555 Timer Calculator

It figures on time and off time as well as frequency and duty cycle. You cant get 50 percent duty cycle but you can get close with a 555.

Comment

Hi all,

i just loaded the solid state charger with a conditioned 7aH battery. On
            the input was a TINY 1.3aH battery.

The start voltage on the 7ah was 12.57 volts
            The start voltage on the 1.3ah was 12.96 Volts

I put the 1.3 aH battery as the input on the solid state, and tuned
            the pot right down i could tell the draw, i heard the ringing on the
            tri filla coil., so i know some thing was going in.

I put the 7aH battery on charge and left to it on to see what happened.

The 7Ah battery charged to nearly 13.30 volts, the 1.3ah lost it after
            nearly 40 minutes to zero.

I loaded the 7ah on a fixed resistor at the c20 rate, the battery held
            charge from 12.89 to 12.69 Volts (original was 12.57).

There you go, a 1.3aH battery can charge a 7aH CONDITIONED battery.
            Here is the snap more to come.
            http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/3491/41821419mg4.jpg

At the front you can see the Tiny 1.3ah hour 12 volt battery, in the
            middle is Clives solid state i posted a while back, at the end is the
            7aH battery showing the charge.

video coming , ill do the test again.

Ash

My Q for Peter is, can a 1.7aH battery charge a 7aH battery conventionally COLD?

Comment

Dam i am working to hard sorry guys i forgot to post the SCG
              Attached Files

Comment

Moved here from the SSG thread.

Some early results with solid state charger with solar panel.

first I'll say a bit about the batteries I'm using.

they are 12v 1.3ah sealed lead acid batteries that I use for small experiments.

One is completely dead... I have been using it for about 5 months on a replication of Plengo's "Running and LED forever" and lit an LED at about half brightness for that time. The batttery is completely dead (reads less than a volt under load) though it still lit the led.

anyway... I was using another battery for the experiment before that and left it running for several days until the battery dropped below 6 volts and I chickened out cos I didn't want to kill the battery

about a week later I restarted the experiment with the other battery and left it running. The battery that had dropped below 6 volts has been sitting doing nothing (hadn't been recharged) for almost 6 months. This is the battery I am charging in the following set up.

I first began experimenting with solid state by comparing how high the coil could charge a capacitor with various resistor values. as bench marks I recorded:

1000ohm : 225v charge while drawing 100ma
                3000ohm : 204v charge while drawing 75ma

I then thought to give my trusty choke coil a try! I had already soldered the rest of the circuit together so couldn't take out the 3000 ohm resistor but when I added the choke in series the results were as follows:

232v charge while drawing 50ma!

These amp draws were from an analogue meter.

So I left the choke in and hooked up the setup to my little solar panel to see how well it could charge the old battery.

Dissappointingly, the solar panel would only charge the 1000uf capacitor to 1 volt and drew less than 5ma (it doesn't recieve direct sun light).

The neon won't light with the charging battery detached but I can confirm it is oscillating using an am radio. Suprisingly high frequency.

I hooked up the old battery and left it going all day yesterday. and you can imagine my suprise when it went from 6.35volts resting to 7.84volts resting in less than 6 hours!

I have to admit, that I still don't know how much energy is actually in the battery because it could be in poor condition though this seems to be an incredible leap in voltage with such a tiny input!

Dont get too excited yet because this is all very recent so I need to do more tests, but first I want to see if it can fully charge this battery.

Will let you know!

solidstate.jpg
                "Theory guides. Experiment decides."

“I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything.”
                Nikola Tesla

Comment

Some very interesting results from a little solidstate number I built here. It is a self oscillating SG circuit with the full cap pulser on the back end. It will charge a 7 amp hour battery from 12.2 to 15v in 2 hours off 24 volts input. I charged one up the other day, let it rest and then load tested it. It ended up coming to rest at 12.73 volts. Funny thing was, as soon as I loaded it with the 300ma globe it only dropped to 12.71 volts and CRAWLED down slowly after that. Usually it would drop a good .10 of a volt before it stabilised!

By the way Sep I think I figured out dump frequency, see my post on the 24v cap pulser. Build the SS guys its awesome!
                  Last edited by ren; 07-27-2008, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Re: Ssg

Originally posted by ren View Post
                    Some very interesting results from a little solidstate number I built here. It is a self oscillating SG circuit with the full cap pulser on the back end. It will charge a 7 amp hour battery from 12.2 to 15v in 2 hours off 24 volts input. I charged one up the other day, let it rest and then load tested it. It ended up coming to rest at 12.73 volts. Funny thing was, as soon as I loaded it with the 300ma globe it only dropped to 12.71 volts and CRAWLED down slowly after that. Usually it would drop a good .10 of a volt before it stabilised!

By the way Sep I think I figured out dump frequency, see my post on the 24v cap pulser. Build the SS guys its awesome!
                    -----------------------------
                    Ok, what is your schematic?
                    See my experiments here...
                    http://www.youtube.com/marthale7

You do not have to prove something for it to be true. However, you do have to prove something for others to believe it true.

Comment

More advice I have recieved...

HI Mart , Jacqui here , this just an idea , If you take an SSG cct remove the trigger cct and put your own solidstate signal generator in place of the SSG cct , you should have solidstate energizer . I like to use the TL494 chip and add a variable pulse width and frequency control . The trigger winding could be utilzed or you could just use a 300-500 ohm base resistor and run it directly from your PWM cct . Just multiply the cct ( multi fila ) if you feel so inclined .The coils I wind are 140 foot in length , .6-.8 mill wire . I'm about to put capacitor discharge on a new unit , sort of a Tesla idea . If you beat me to it I say jolly good luck to you .

Bi and good tinkering , Jacqui .

------------

Jacqui , Mart just to clarify , all windings are the same guage and the power transistor / transistors are located between the coil and neg. the other end of the coil winding is the pos. supply or run battery , it's just a coil in series with a DC chopper the output is a tap with diode just between the coil and the transistor collector . This idea is a JB cct without the spining magnet trigger etc. Jacqui .

You do not have to prove something for it to be true. However, you do have to prove something for others to believe it true.

Comment

So basically

Originally posted by Sephiroth View Post
                        Moved here from the SSG thread.

Some early results with solid state charger with solar panel.

first I'll say a bit about the batteries I'm using.

they are 12v 1.3ah sealed lead acid batteries that I use for small experiments.

One is completely dead... I have been using it for about 5 months on a replication of Plengo's "Running and LED forever" and lit an LED at about half brightness for that time. The batttery is completely dead (reads less than a volt under load) though it still lit the led.

anyway... I was using another battery for the experiment before that and left it running for several days until the battery dropped below 6 volts and I chickened out cos I didn't want to kill the battery

about a week later I restarted the experiment with the other battery and left it running. The battery that had dropped below 6 volts has been sitting doing nothing (hadn't been recharged) for almost 6 months. This is the battery I am charging in the following set up.

I first began experimenting with solid state by comparing how high the coil could charge a capacitor with various resistor values. as bench marks I recorded:

1000ohm : 225v charge while drawing 100ma
                        3000ohm : 204v charge while drawing 75ma

I then thought to give my trusty choke coil a try! I had already soldered the rest of the circuit together so couldn't take out the 3000 ohm resistor but when I added the choke in series the results were as follows:

232v charge while drawing 50ma!

These amp draws were from an analogue meter.

So I left the choke in and hooked up the setup to my little solar panel to see how well it could charge the old battery.

Dissappointingly, the solar panel would only charge the 1000uf capacitor to 1 volt and drew less than 5ma (it doesn't recieve direct sun light).

The neon won't light with the charging battery detached but I can confirm it is oscillating using an am radio. Suprisingly high frequency.

I hooked up the old battery and left it going all day yesterday. and you can imagine my suprise when it went from 6.35volts resting to 7.84volts resting in less than 6 hours!

I have to admit, that I still don't know how much energy is actually in the battery because it could be in poor condition though this seems to be an incredible leap in voltage with such a tiny input!

Dont get too excited yet because this is all very recent so I need to do more tests, but first I want to see if it can fully charge this battery.

Will let you know!

[ATTACH]637[/ATTACH]
                        What you are doing is adding a couple of caps and I higher resistor in the trigger coil section... to the SSG. I did this for a while with a 5K pot. With low voltages it did great but it did seem to heat up my resistor, But I did not have caps in the circuit as you do...

Comment

lol... I did notice the caps

There isn't any heat even with the 12v supply, though that will be because it has such a low draw. I'm just suprised it ocsillates at all with only 1/200 watt input! Let alone charge a 12v battery.

Edit : did I say 1/20 of a watt? I meant 1/200 of a watt!
                          Last edited by Sephiroth; 06-18-2008, 05:58 AM.
                          "Theory guides. Experiment decides."

“I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything.”
                          Nikola Tesla

Comment

Are SS better than SSG in result?

Hi,

regards,
                            Selamatg

Comment

Solid State benefits

Originally posted by selamatg View Post
                              Hi,

regards,
                              Selamatg

It takes less energy, charges the battery faster ( more on time typically ) and you don't have to start it like the SSG so a blessing for solar panels. Many pluses to a SS. Also it will charge at lower voltage.

Downside is you don't get any mechanical energy.

I am willing to give that up myself I am tired of fighting bearings and alignments... And another benefit. I will keep doing the SSG's but looking forward to set it - forget it type charging.

Quiet. ( unless you make your coils sing )

Comment

Hey Mart do you still need a simple schematic for SS build?

Comment

Working...
                                X