Tesla's Electric Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ernst View Post
    Yes,.... I know.... I am! : Tesla's Magnifying Transmitter: New Wardenclyffe
    (and I have the funds already)

Ernst.
    It is looking good. Where abouts is it situated? What timescale are you expecting for completion? What equipment would be needed for a small car to run off it?

Comment

Originally posted by wrtner
      It is looking good.
      Thanks!
      Where abouts is it situated? What timescale are you expecting for completion?
      We are trying to avoid interference before its completion.... So I can't tell.
      What equipment would be needed for a small car to run off it?
      Not sure if that can be done, because until now I've used receivers with a good ground connection. In a car that is not really possible.
      (BTW I know of other ways, but have not yet experimented with these)

Ernst.

Comment

What about timing, Ernst? When do you think it will be ready?

Do you have any equations for efficiency? If the ground connection is poor, presumably the effy will be less but it may still be enough for some applications.

For instance, there are high conductivity tyres and with normal tarmac, the earth connection may be very poor - but with suitably compensated receiver equipment, it might work. What is the receiver equipment?

Comment

Going public and remaining silent both have their pros and cons. We have chosen a bit of both, hoping to get more pros than cons.

In a car the ground connection is obviously always very poor. Then to make matters worse, a car requires quite a few HP's. Tesla's system transmits power through the ground as we all know. So that is quite an obstacle to overcome.
          I have no ready solution for this.

Ernst.

Comment

Going public and remaining silent both have their pros and cons. We have chosen a bit of both, hoping to get more pros than cons.

In a car the ground connection is obviously always very poor. Then to make matters worse, a car requires quite a few HP's. Tesla's system transmits power through the ground as we all know. So that is quite an obstacle to overcome.
            I have no ready solution for this.

Ernst.
            What about an urban train/tram system? The rails will be solidly grounded.

Somewhere, Tesla proposed the transmission of energy through the air. I cannot find it.

Comment

Originally posted by wrtner View Post
              What about an urban train/tram system? The rails will be solidly grounded.

Somewhere, Tesla proposed the transmission of energy through the air. I cannot find it.
              Wrtner,
              I just happened to come across what you're referring to , I think, in John J O'Neill's book, Prodigal Genius, the Life of Nikola Tesla. See pages 240-43. below is an excerpt. At the very least, entertaining reading.
              Bob

"...in 1937, Tesla permitted me to write a news story for the New York Herald Tribune on his new power-and-ray discovery. In it I stressed the usefulness of the discovery for delivering pwer to ships for travel across the ocean, thus eliminating the need for carrying fuel supplies, rather than its use as a weapon for defense or offense.

On this occasion I tried to get him to reveal some technical details, but he successfully parried every question and gave no information beyond the statement that the transmitting plant on shore was one which he would be able to erect at a cost of about $2,000,000, and the energy would be transmitted by a ray or beam of infinitesimally small cross section, one hundred thousandth of a centimeter in diameter. To other newspapers which copied my story he gave the figure as one millionth of a square centimeter.

...At his birthday in 1938, at the Hotel New Yorker, Tesla described briefly his combination wireless-power transmission and death ray, adding little to what has already been stated; and in a later part of his speech he declared that he had developed a method for interplanetary communication, in which he would be able to transmit not only communication signals of small strength but energies involving thousands of horsepower..."

Comment

My thanks to Vo Hong Quy on finding this: Patent US8933594 - Wireless energy transfer for vehicles - Google Patents
                Patents
                Publication number US8933594 B2
                Publication type Grant
                Application number US 13/276,295
                Publication date Jan 13, 2015
                Filing date Oct 18, 2011
                Priority date Sep 27, 2008
                Also published as US20120119575
                Inventors Andre B. Kurs, 5 More »
                Original Assignee Witricity Corporation
                Export Citation BiBTeX, EndNote, RefMan
                Patent Citations (104), Non-Patent Citations (155), Classifications (76), Legal Events (1)
                External Links: USPTO, USPTO Assignment, Espacenet
                Wireless energy transfer for vehicles
                US 8933594 B2
                Abstract
                A vehicle powering wireless receiver for use with a first electromagnetic resonator coupled to a power supply. The wireless receiver includes a load configured to power the drive system of a vehicle using electrical power, and a second electromagnetic resonator adapted to be housed upon the vehicle and configured to be coupled to the load, wherein the second electromagnetic resonator is configured to be wirelessly coupled to the first electromagnetic resonator to provide resonant, non-radiative wireless power to the second electromagnetic resonator from the first electromagnetic resonator; and wherein the field of at least one of the first electromagnetic resonator and the second electromagnetic resonator is shaped using a conducting surface to avoid a loss-inducing object.
                Images(169)
                Patent Drawing

Patent Drawing

Patent Drawing

Patent Drawing

Patent Drawing

Patent Drawing

Patent Drawing

Patent Drawing

Patent Drawing

Comment

Interesting - I haven't really studied this yet but a first glance makes me wonder if these blokes have come across Tesla's 1,119,732. Because it is out of date doesn't mean it isn't prior art.

Comment

Originally posted by wrtner View Post
                    Thinking about this yesterday and remembered Ken Wheeler's reference to Tesla's description of light as a "longitudinal disturbance in the aether." Ken has pointed out that some of his associates have in fact been able to tap the longitudinal axis of light to transmit vast amounts of information. If the longitudinal axis of light is actually dielectric in nature, we should be able to tap it to access not only vast amounts of info, but energy as well. Here's his post from another thread below:
                    Originally posted by TheoriaApophasis View Post
                    Well, I JUST FOUND this, and am both pissed I didnt find this passage from Tesla MUCH EARLIER,

but ALSO VERY VERY HAPPY that Tesla agrees with me, that Light CANNOT BE merely a transverse EM phenomena.

Its just *#()@! impossible.

Also found a WONDERFUL new quote (new to me) from Tesla:

“Seldom if ever has an original idea of consequence been born in an elaborate laboratory. The egg of science is laid in the nest of solitude. True it may later be incubated, hatched and nursed in the million dollar laboratory. Be alone, that is the secret of invention, be alone! That is where ideas are born.”
                    - Nikola Tesla

TESLA ON LIGHT, basically the VERY SAME THING I concluded in my book, that light is ABSOLUTELY not merely transverse EM phenomena, rather has a Z-axis radial dielectric component.

He KEEPS saying light is a LONGITUDINAL disturbance, with OBVIOUS resultant transverse ATTRIBUTES.

ALL of this is the very same thing I concluded before finding this passage from Tesla, that ALL transverse components of light are merely attributes of what is a RADIAL (or Teslas longitudinal, same thing!!) Ether modality.

IN short, all the BS which conclude that LIGHT is transverse EM, is pure twaddle, it cannot be, we are taking the attributes of LIGHT, the E and M components and concluding THAT is light, but its not, its merely the attribute OF light, but NOT LIGHT ITSELF

from the book TESLA SAID:

download it here:
                    Library Genesis: Nikola Tesla, John T. Ratzlaff - Tesla Said

Comment

Mr. Tesla got into the driver's seat, pushed the two rods in and stated, "We now have power". He put the car into gear and it moved forward! This vehicle, powered by an A.C. motor, was driven to speeds of 90 m.p.h. and performed better than any internal combustion engine of its day! One week was spent testing the vehicle. Several newspapers in Buffalo reported this test. When asked where the power came from, Tesla replied, "From the ethers all around us". Several people suggested that Tesla was mad and somehow in league with sinister forces of the universe. He became incensed, removed his mysterious box from the vehicle and returned to his laboratory in New York City. His secret died with him!
                      Again...
                      Using fultonhistory.com you can search through over 29 million historical newspapers from the US and Canada. If this test were reported in 1 newspaper, I can believe that this search may have missed it. If it were reported in 2 newspapers, I would find it unlikely as I can find all other newspaper articles on Tesla.
                      "Several newspapers", I guess, is more than 2.
                      I think this story is not true.
                      I am fairly convinced.

Ernst.

Comment

Again...
                        Using fultonhistory.com you can search through over 29 million historical newspapers from the US and Canada..
                        The trouble is that the returns seem to be mainly pdfs which are not text searcheable. Am I right that we depend on someone reading through them and assigning key words? This is not very reliable.

Comment

I was looking for an article on "Electric Drive for Battle Ships" published on 1917-02-25 in the New York Herald. I searched for "climax of asininity" and found the article. I don't think that anyone would specify that as a keyword. Also who is going to read 29 million newspapers making notes on all articles?
                          It must be some automated process.

Ernst.

Comment

They must use OCR. (Have you come across the electric Zumwalt class ships, previously DDX, which appeared to use some sort of superconducting unipolar generator as main propulsion - although this seems to have changed, possibly for the benefit of the eyes of the public?).

Comment

Please do us a favour, find scan (if possible) and post here the mysterious article we were talking about....

Dallas Morning News, January 24th, 1931
                              The Electric Auto that almost triumphed: Power Source of ‘31 car still a mystery
                              by A.C. Greene, “Texas Sketches column”

I wonder if that really exists..... however I'm on other continent (Europe)

Comment

Originally posted by boguslaw View Post
                                Please do us a favour, find scan (if possible) and post here the mysterious article we were talking about....

Dallas Morning News, January 24th, 1931
                                The Electric Auto that almost triumphed: Power Source of ‘31 car still a mystery
                                by A.C. Greene, “Texas Sketches column”
                                Hey @boguslaw, The year of the article is 1993 not 1931. You can find a reprint of that article in this book:
                                https://books.google.com/books?id=rw...hed%22&f=false
                                I question the accuracy of the article. It quotes the source of the electric motor as GE instead of Westinghouse. Who knows?

Randy
                                _

Comment

Working...
                                X