Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alum Battery Conversion Part1and Part 2

Alum Battery Conversion Part1 and Part2,
    This is a converted Ford Mustang battery 590 cold cranking amps that is about 30 Amp Hr battery. Testing on a battery that was junk. but no shorted cells. You make up your own mind if you want to do this experiment.
    Part 1 Lead Acid Alum Battery Conversion Part1.wmv - YouTube
    Part2 Lead Acid Alum Battery Conversion Part2.wmv - YouTube
    John B
    John Bedini
    www.johnbedini.net

Comment

Originally posted by John_Bedini View Post
      Alum Battery Conversion Part1 and Part2,
      This is a converted Ford Mustang battery 590 cold cranking amps that is about 30 Amp Hr battery. Testing on a battery that was junk. but no shorted cells. You make up your own mind if you want to do this experiment.
      Part 1 Lead Acid Alum Battery Conversion Part1.wmv - YouTube
      Part2 Lead Acid Alum Battery Conversion Part2.wmv - YouTube
      John B
      Just watched both videos, amazing!
      I think I am going to need more alum....
      Thanks for sharing!
      N8
      The absence of proof is not proof of absence

Comment

Thank you

Just finished watching first part. This is way beyond what I was expecting to see Sweet!
        Thank you John for time and effort. I need to gather some wood so I won't freeze and will watch second part when I come back.
        This is very promising.

Vtech
        'Get it all on record now - get the films - get the witnesses -because somewhere down the road of history some bastard will get up and say that this never happened'

General D.Eisenhower

http://www.nvtronics.org

Comment

60 year old battery!

Yes! A virgin lead acid battery never activated built in 1951!
          Well, were gonna activate her with Alum. Charge it. And put it through the paces. Here is the video. More videos to follow...

Chuck

1951 lead acid battery never activated.wmv - YouTube

Comment

Great presentation

Just finished watching second part. I knew it is working because I tried but I never imagined what I just saw
            You couldn't push and pull lead acid the way you did with alum electrolyte, without violating such small battery. I've seen characteristics (graph) od NiKad and it is similar. I'm gonna watch again later. Thank you John and Chuck for your effort It was well worth it and much appreciated.
            I love your PC analyzer.
            Where did you find those '51 batteries

Thanks
            Vtech
            'Get it all on record now - get the films - get the witnesses -because somewhere down the road of history some bastard will get up and say that this never happened'

General D.Eisenhower

Comment

1951 Willard battery

That is a 1951 Willard battery that I bought back when I was doing pulse charging experiments. I bought these batteries from a surplus house in June1999 for about 15 dollars each they were 6 volt batteries that I glued together to make 12 volts. Chuck will run the experiment tomorrow and I will start filming it. We will see what happens with a battery that is not formed. Normally you would form these batteries for 48 hrs. So Chuck will be forming them with Alum instead of Sulphuric Acid. If the sun would shine I would show the Tesla Solar Charger doing this forming from the sun.
              John B
              Last edited by John_Bedini; 03-02-2012, 06:12 AM. Reason: Correction
              John Bedini
              www.johnbedini.net

Comment

Originally posted by John_Bedini View Post
                That is a 1951 Willard battery that I bought back when I was doing pulse charging experiments. I bought these batteries from a surplus house in June1999 for about 15 dollars each they were 6 volt batteries that I glued together to make 12 volts. Chuck will run the experiment tomorrow and I will start filming it. We will see what happens with a battery that is not formed. Normally you would form these batteries for 48 hrs. So Chuck will be forming them with Alum instead of Sulphuric Acid. If the sun would shine I would show the Tesla Solar Charger doing this forming from the sun.
                John B
                Sounds great John. I don't gamble but I'll make an exception and bet that they'll outperform "themselves" while filled with alum Too bad they don't make them "transparent" anymore. It would be much easier than cutting case open to examine plates.
                I forgot to call supplier and verify that what he has is the right stuff I don't have enough left, even for a small battery.

Update: Just called supplier - Myspice.com, they're going to email me datasheet on monday. All they know is that this is ammonium sulfate. Most likely the right stuff but I don't want to order 20lb no knowing for sure. I used McCormick before but it is getting expensive buying 1 Oz jars.

Thanks
                Vtech
                Last edited by blackchisel97; 03-02-2012, 08:20 PM. Reason: edit

General D.Eisenhower

Comment

Just called another 2 companies. They don't know the formula and don't have datasheet. They don't know if this is potassium alum, ferric alum or ammonium alum. All they know is that this is aluminum sulfate, food grade. Guess I have to wait till monday.

V

General D.Eisenhower

Comment

alum

Hi amazing video!!!

I would also like to now about what alum is, I searched what alum is in spanish and there where a few kinds like V said.

Thanks!!!

Alvaro Hernandorena

Comment

Originally posted by alvarohn View Post
                      Hi amazing video!!!

I would also like to now about what alum is, I searched what alum is in spanish and there where a few kinds like V said.

Thanks!!!

Alvaro Hernandorena
                      The one I'm referring to is Ammonium Aluminum Sulfate - (NH4)Al(SO4)2 x 12 H2O also known as ammonium alum.
                      Ammonium aluminium sulfate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks
                      V

General D.Eisenhower

Comment

Alum

Aluminum sulfate hydrate: Al2(SO4)314H2O
                        C.A.S. 10043-01-3 (Aluminum sulfate)
                        pH of 1% Solution (approx.) 3.5
                        Bulk Density (Ground), lbs./cu. ft. 63 - 71
                        (Powdered), lbs./cu. ft. 38 - 45
                        Dry Alum Assay as Al2(SO4)314H2O, % >99
                        Aluminum Assay as Al2O3, % 17.0 (min)
                        Alkalis and Alkaline Earths, % 0.22 (max)
                        Ammonium Salts Passes Test
                        Fluoride (F), % <0.0009
                        Lead (Pb), ppm <0.5
                        Selenium (Se), % <0.00005
                        John B
                        John Bedini
                        www.johnbedini.net

Comment

Thank you John
                          That's seems to be the same stuff as these guys carry - Alum Powder - Used for Pickling, baking and as a preservative - My Spice Sage

Alum Powder (Food Grade), 1 lb

Aluminum Sulfate | ChemistryStore.com

Vtech

General D.Eisenhower

Comment

Thanks

Thank you John & Chuck. I am really looking forward to seeing your results on activating that 1951 battery with Alum. I am getting ready to order 24 UL-16's from Interstate and I found out that I can order them special, from the factory, dry (without lead acid in them). I am seriously considering this for a new solar installation in UpCountry Maui at my parents house. No nasty Sulfuric fumes is a huge plus. I have two of the Rejuvenators, so I could charge 4 at a time.

Do you guys know of the hydrometer tests will work in a similar manner as a lead acid?

Also, I just realized that my e-Max scooter has Silicone based batteries in them. Those batteries responded VERY well to radiant charging.

Daryl

Comment

Originally posted by mauiflipper View Post
                              Thank you John & Chuck. I am really looking forward to seeing your results on activating that 1951 battery with Alum. I am getting ready to order 24 UL-16's from Interstate and I found out that I can order them special, from the factory, dry (without lead acid in them). I am seriously considering this for a new solar installation in UpCountry Maui at my parents house. No nasty Sulfuric fumes is a huge plus. I have two of the Rejuvenators, so I could charge 4 at a time.

Do you guys know of the hydrometer tests will work in a similar manner as a lead acid?

Also, I just realized that my e-Max scooter has Silicone based batteries in them. Those batteries responded VERY well to radiant charging.

Daryl
                              Hydrometer reading are based on fluid density which is different with alum.
                              Look in John's video when he points to the test eye in the battery.
                              Don't forget to stop by and share your experience

Thanks
                              Vtech

General D.Eisenhower

Comment

hydrometer

When I do my first test conversion on a new battery. I will work out a chart for Alum hydrometer readings.

Daryl

Comment

Working...
                                X