Charging Water with a Singing Bowl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memory of water?

When you fill the singing bowl with water and rim the bowl with the wand, it will take a few minutes of rimming before the water starts to rotate. By letting the water stand still for a few minutes after it's been rotating, then the water will quickly begin to rotate again in a matter of seconds after you start rimming. This leads most to believe water has a memory. I don't think it's the water which has memory, but it is the vibrations of the Patina embedded in the micro-groves of the wand which remain in resonance with the vibrations of the bowl for quite some time which gives the effects of water having a memory. This could be wrong, but I have a few tests to rule this idea in or out.

GB
    Last edited by gravityblock; 06-26-2011, 03:51 AM.

Comment

Yes that make's complete sense GB, I am very glad my inadvertant discovery may have been more than just a curiosity. The Patina in the micro grooves and the rubbing around the rim should produce a highly polished surface on the rim of the bowl which is the main radiating/vibrating surface, and contrary to what many might first think a higly polished surface can have more drag/grip than a rough surface, like a shark skin is rough but less drag than smooth and the shark skin swimsuits the swimming athlete's sometime's wear for more speed.

Anyway it is the gripping and releasing many many times a second which causes the vibration, you could also try using a wand with a different "footprint" or contact area to the bowl. The smoother the edge the higher frequency should be possible and therefore more harmonics and resonance, I think.

Very interesting, and now I want a singing bowl. My new low voltage Tesla coils bite's. I am watching for more singing metal things. I am way above the frequencies I can hear now though. Maybe an undertone or something will show up in the Mug when I manage resonance with these new coils.

Cheers

Comment

OH GB did you try using a wooden spoon with the concave side down so that there are two contact points with the bowl ? Might be counter productive but that could give some more insight. Also did you try varying the distance between where you hold the wand and it's end.

I imagine if there is some give in the way the wand is gripped by the hand and the weight of the wand is correct and held at the right angle with the right amount of wand between the hand and the bowl and the footprint is correct and the rim and wand are used and therefore treated, the effect would be best and should be influeced to some degree by all those things and of course the water level.

Just some thoughts I thought i would share.

Does the water splash up onto the rim. And if so does it affect the operation of the bowl ?

Cheers

Comment

Honing and frequencies

Originally posted by Farmhand View Post
          Yes that make's complete sense GB, I am very glad my inadvertant discovery may have been more than just a curiosity. The Patina in the micro grooves and the rubbing around the rim should produce a highly polished surface on the rim of the bowl which is the main radiating/vibrating surface, and contrary to what many might first think a higly polished surface can have more drag/grip than a rough surface, like a shark skin is rough but less drag than smooth and the shark skin swimsuits the swimming athlete's sometimes wear for more speed.
          I think you're right about the Patina in the micro grooves producing a highly polished surface on the rim of the bowl, which helps to produce a vibrating surface between the wand and the bowl. The pressure of the wand against the bowl while rimming and the Patina in the micro grooves is similar to the honing process used in metalworking. Also, the surface of a honed workpiece or the rim of the bowl in this case could create micro grooves of different sizes into the wand according to the different frequencies generated by the bowl. I'm attaching an image below showing the surface of a honed workpiece to help visualize this.

Anyway it is the gripping and releasing many many times a second which causes the vibration, you could also try using a wand with a different "footprint" or contact area to the bowl. The smoother the edge the higher frequency should be possible and therefore more harmonics and resonance, I think.
          This makes sense. Near one end of the wand, the Patina is lighter in color while producing a higher frequency. As we move closer to the middle of the wand, then the Patina becomes much darker in color and more concentrated, while producing lower frequencies.

Thanks for the feedback. You've given me a lot to think about.

GB

Last edited by gravityblock; 06-26-2011, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Operations of singing bowl

OH GB did you try using a wooden spoon with the concave side down so that there are two contact points with the bowl ? Might be counter productive but that could give some more insight. Also did you try varying the distance between where you hold the wand and it's end.

I imagine if there is some give in the way the wand is gripped by the hand and the weight of the wand is correct and held at the right angle with the right amount of wand between the hand and the bowl and the footprint is correct and the rim and wand are used and therefore treated, the effect would be best and should be influeced to some degree by all those things and of course the water level.

Just some thoughts I thought i would share.

Does the water splash up onto the rim. And if so does it affect the operation of the bowl ?

Cheers
            I haven't tried a wooden spoon with two contact points, but I'll give it a try. The sound does change according to where you hold the wand relative to it's end. With my bowl, I can get the water to rotate, but I haven't been too successful in getting the water to pop and jump out all over the place. Sometimes I can feel small water droplets hitting my arm, but nothing like some of the videos I have seen on youtube. I think if I have a professionally made wand, then I will have much better results. From my experience, if the rim or the location of the wand which is making contact with the bowl gets wet, then it does affect the operation. The water appears to rotate easier at lower frequencies (at least with my bowl).

I have plans to put the singing bowl on a motor, and have it rotate at very low RPM's while making contact with a stationary wand and a spring to keep a constant pressure against the rim. I have tried this with a rotor which I spun by hand, and it does work. Hopefully in the following weeks I'll take some videos.

GB

Comment

Originally posted by gravityblock View Post
              I have plans to put the singing bowl on a motor, and have it rotate at very low RPM's while making contact with a stationary wand and a spring to keep a constant pressure against the rim. I have tried this with a rotor which I spun by hand, and it does work. Hopefully in the following weeks I'll take some videos.

GB
              Hey thats a good idea ! Save a lot of work haha. Awesome, a motorised singing bowl.

Comment

Motorized Singing Bowl

Hey thats a good idea ! Save a lot of work haha. Awesome, a motorised singing bowl.
                Yes, this will save me a lot of work (I was thinking the same thing).

In addition to this, the motorized singing bowl will also free my hands so I can do tests and experiments I otherwise wouldn't be able to do.

GB

Comment

Prediction

Generally, the water will rotate in the same direction as the wand. For example, if the wand is moving CW around the bowl, then the water will rotate CW with the wand (no relative motion between the wand and the water, but relative motion between the water and the bowl). An interesting question arises, in which direction the water will rotate when the bowl is rotated while the wand is stationary? There are 3 possible outcomes.

Possible outcomes:

1.) The water will rotate in the same direction as the bowl and there won't be any relative motion between the water and the bowl.

2.) The water will remain stationary with the wand regardless of which direction the bowl is rotated. No relative motion between the wand and the water, but there will be relative motion between the water and the bowl. This is inline when the bowl is stationary while the wand is rotated.

3.) The water will rotate in the opposite direction as the bowl. There will be both relative motion between the bowl and the water, and also relative motion between the water and the wand. I don't think this will hold true.

My prediction is # 2. Please post and share your prediction.

Thanks,

GB
                  Last edited by gravityblock; 06-28-2011, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Very interesting GB,

I predict that part of the water will want to remain rotating with the bowl and cause turbulance then a vortex.

Because the water will imediately begin to rotate with the bowl, then when resonance is reached or the state which make's the water rotate normally is reached the vibration will try to rotate the water the other way, the resulting forces will be transfered towards the center by "shear action" all the while the bowl is rotating away from the point of force so a helical type force may result.

Cheers

Comment

I'm with farmhand on this one , you'll have the same physical occurrence as described by Viktor Schauberger:

this is a double spiral

now that i look at it, i think that the engraved designs also play a role (like the guide vane in the drawing)
                      Last edited by MonsieurM; 06-28-2011, 11:42 AM.
                      Signs and symbols rule the world, not words nor laws.” -Confucius.

Comment

Viktor Schauberger

You guys may be right. We'll make that #4.

4.) Vortex/helical/double spiral

GB

Comment

Hi GB, Interesting things you guys are doing here. I was wondering if anyone has done experimenting with Ormus or M-state water in their bowls? I remember reading somewhere that the ancients did not use just any water in their bowls, but instead collected it in special places, perhaps from an artesian spring, or a water fall. These waters may hold special earthly memories or properties. I now am keeping my eye open for a singing bowl.
                          Just some thoughts, Gene

Comment

Originally posted by gene gene View Post
                            Hi GB, Interesting things you guys are doing here. I was wondering if anyone has done experimenting with Ormus or M-state water in their bowls? I remember reading somewhere that the ancients did not use just any water in their bowls, but instead collected it in special places, perhaps from an artesian spring, or a water fall. These waters may hold special earthly memories or properties. I now am keeping my eye open for a singing bowl.
                            Just some thoughts, Gene
                            I like where you are going with this idea....

Comment

Originally posted by MonsieurM View Post
                              I like where you are going with this idea....

Cool thread!

Comment

Tibetan Singing Bowls Make Water Levitate (Video)

Before It's News

An experimental investigation of the fluid dynamics of Tibetan singing bowls has showed their acoustic behavior is similar to wine glasses, and can even cause water droplets to levitate.

The bowls originate from fifth century rituals in the Tibetan Himalayas, and are typically made from a bronze alloy. They produce a rich sound or song when the sides and rim are struck or rubbed with a mallet.

Two scientists filled the bowls with water and filmed the vibrational patterns that arise. The high-speed camera showed how surface waves formed, creating water droplets that break away from, and bounce on the fluid surface.
                                YouTube - ‪Watching Tibetan bowls sing‬‏

Last edited by MonsieurM; 07-02-2011, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X