Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Farrah Day View Post
    I empathise with you here Matt.

Though if I remember rightly the kid did use 'carbon nanotubes', which seem a rather unlikely thing to find at a school. Certainly he is a bright kid, but he must have had help with funding and supplies. I mean you cant just pick up carbon nanotubes at RadioShack... can you?
    Nope but you can order them over the Internet. At least 6 retailers with a Google search. 5 grams worth for 100 dollers.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Vickers View Post
      Cool. AgentA & Boguslaw. I like it. I think this explains the phantom voltage I sometimes get when playing with coils and caps. Do u guys have any suggestions on the easiest, simplest (complete with parts list) way to build a tunable LC to take advantage of this natural wonder? If u have, I will build one ASAP to your specs and post the pic of it WORKING on this thread. Lets do it.

Hey Matt. We got a Bedini Schoolgirl and now a Solar Schoolboy. LOL.
      Hopefully his tech will surface soon. I like the part about 3D and pyramid shape.
      the sun emits RF in very wide range, up to high MHz.

Listening to the Sun’s Radio Storms

Radio waves

Audio-Frequency Radio Waves from the Sun - 1948

but, the more appropriate method is to capture energy from a secondary effect caused by the sun, on earth -> lightnings.

there are roughly 8 - 9 million ( yes, millions ) lightning strikes every day on earth,
      which emits RF in 10kHz - 500kHz range. a simple lightning detector can be tuned to this range.

Lightning Detectors

Lightning detector circuit diagrams

Arduino - lightning detector

these circuits run on 9v but can be made to run on energy collected by simple crystal sets.

couple this detector to a resonant collector and a joule thief amplified transformer and viola, your good to go self sustained.

the truth is out there in front of our eyes.

Comment

Simple crystal set? Beautiful. Simple. The first electrical thing I ever made as a child was a CRYSTAL diode receiver. Crap radio station..but no battery involved. FREE.

Comment

Agent A..BOOM Awesome post brother.
          I understand this..But I am fully aware that a lot of people, members, watchers, lurkers etc..of this good forum... May have slight trouble with the details. No offense intended. We need an easy paint by numbers circuit that a child or even a hardened adult can replicate for probably less than ummm...3 bucks? Tell them Agent A.

Comment

Vickers,

1. come on, i gave all the bits and pieces that are needed and did not exclude anything.
            if anyone feels that something is missing, then google is our best friend, every bit of info is out there.
            anyone with the minimum technical skills will be able to find out ALL the info in less then an hour,
            and in 6 hours to have the very basic system.

2. three bucks ( 3$ ) ? sorry, can help ya there.
            the minimal cost is everything between 20$ to 250$, depends on the grade of components you want to work with.
            that is of course if anyone buys everything new. if parts are scavenged from various sources, the cost will be next to nothing.

heres the diagram from the first link for basic lightning detector :

here are links to crystals sets that can replace the battery :

"crystal set" - Google Search

joule thief and variants and resonant circuits are well known here, so whats left ?
            just to connect the pieces, no rocket science/quantum dynamics/string theory/super duper bla bla bla is required.

it is really that simple.
            i saw the videos of many folks here who replicated many things and the joint skill of everybody here is mind blowing spectacular !!
            about the passive folks i cant tell anything but i think that this is simple enough for them too.

if you feel that this subject is not simplified enough, by all means, you are more then welcome to take over.

Comment

I think the problem is that people always want to go to fast and there fore are over complicating things.

Lets start with things witch are possible.

Simple example: An air-conditioning unit. When do we need them? At times the sun is heating up our surroundings..

So why don't we start to design airco's on solar power?

Current situation:

Input: Electrical current
              Output: Cold, Heat, condensation water

My logic would say: We already have the heat, so it should be possible to use that heat to create cold and current... (At least during the daylight)

It might not be that simple, but i always find it amazing that i never see a solar panel attached to an air-conditioning unit.

Bottom line, people always trying to get the maximum, bypassing the thing that already can make a difference.

Comment

A question for Agent.A : are you running your house on this concept and/or what kind of real power do you get/expect to get from this?
                There is no important work, there are only a series of moments to demonstrate your mastery and impeccability. Quote from Almine

Comment

ewizard,

i have several alternative systems that run my house.
                  at my current location im running most of my home appliances from the wind.
                  im in a place in which the wind blows most of the day ( winter/summer ) so i built a ducted turbine with multistage duct, similar to these but of my own design.

it supplies about 95% of my power.

i also have as a backup a solar panels and a generator running on recycled cooking oil.

the sun as an energy source and lightnings is an idea im researching almost a year.
                  i have a few test systems that are not connected to my house but isolated test loads.
                  why ? i had an incident of great power surge and decided to be very very careful, almost burned my house.

how much energy you ask ? well :

US solar energy map - Interesting energy facts

How Much Solar Energy Hits Earth?

now, the numbers in those links drive the earths atmospheric system and 99% of the lightnings.
                  each lightning strike release many watts that get lost due to heat and other sources, but, you have about 9 million of them daily.

think about it.

Comment

something i forgot.

Directory:Lightning Power - PESWiki

Intel Demos RF Energy Harvesting Technology : TreeHugger
                    Last edited by Agent.A; 06-30-2010, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Agent.A, no offence but all that talk of

"all you need is a tunable LC circuit, some cap's for storage and some transformers.
                      the energy is delivered 24/7 nonstop in such amount that even a billionth captured will be more then enough for the average home.
                      winter/summer/day/night/whatver....."

and your using wind turbines? and you made the RF thing sound so simple and easy to do. I mean come on, all the energy you want from the sun, day and night and all you need is blah blah blah.. why are you and the rest of the world not using this simple idea?

Comment

Originally posted by Agent.A View Post
                        oh boy oh boy ...

tapping into the sun's energy is the easiest thing ever, as in E-V-E-R.
                        so easy that it is astonishing why people dont do that all over the world, simply astonishing.

we can receive the sun's energy even at night, ya, you read it right, at NIGHT.
                        direct light is not needed.

and guess what, the knowledge to do this is with us over 100 years.
                        It is also astonishing why your are not doing it as well. Please do not think i am trying to discredit you in any way but why make a statement like that when you yourself are not taking advantage of this? If it was as easy as you make out, i don't think this forum would exist.

Comment

If you use a tunable LC circuit you will always be tuning as the energy you're wanting to capture/use is "wideband" in nature whereas the LC circuit will have a very narrow resonate frequency. You'll have to have something that will accept the entire gamut of frequencies if you want to harness the most available energy.

Is or is not this statement correct?

Comment

@Zooty

i knew someone will kick my for this, thats ok, no offense taken.

...why are you and the rest of the world not using this simple idea?
                            i have no idea about the rest of the world, really, i dont.
                            why is the world not using any other alternative like bedini/tesla radiant/Schauberger/Howard Johnson/HHO/Earth Battery/SEC/whatever ?
                            all of them are easy to build and do not require deep understanding of underlying process, just the knowledge of how to assemble the various parts.
                            why is it that only very few garage experimenters know about any alternative ?
                            why & why & why ?

come on, do you, youself, use any alternative energy source ?
                            i am and i am also experimenting with many different ideas.

i use wind as my main source because i built that first and it works for me at my place.
                            i have various backups and various experimental setups and RF capture is just one of them.

RF energy from the sun/lightnings, although it is basically a very very ( VERY !! ) easy idea to work with, has some points that need to be researched further.
                            every experimenter here can build this simple device and test it.

dont flame me for not going world wide commercial, i dont plan to. why ? i have my reasons.
                            you may think that this is a failed idea and as you wrote im full of blah blah blah
                            but, replicate it, try it, experiment and make your own conclusions.

@everwiser

you are very correct.

a multi frequency receiver or Multi Wave Oscillator can be added to widen the energy capturing capability.

Comment

Matthew Jones in post 12 of this thread put it very well. You don't need to over complicate things - simple things make a huge impact.

Based on what’s commercially available (a la solar panels), your better off spending your money on thermal collection as the efficiency's are much higher than current commercial solar panels.

The link below should give people some ideas of how to collect solar heat.

Solar Water Heating Projects and Plans

On the air conditioning question that was raised - do a search for: Icy Ball (Icy Ball - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
                              There is a company in the US which makes industrial scale commercial coolers which are based on the ammonia reaction.

. . .
                              Regular service Signature:
                              Follow along on my Algae growing adventure, where I'm currently growing Spirulina and two mystery strains (one of which can also produce Biofuel). All is revealed in the Growing Algae thread...

Comment

Originally posted by Agent.A View Post
                                @Zooty

i knew someone will kick my for this, thats ok, no offense taken.

i have no idea about the rest of the world, really, i dont.
                                why is the world not using any other alternative like bedini/tesla radiant/Schauberger/Howard Johnson/HHO/Earth Battery/SEC/whatever ?
                                all of them are easy to build and do not require deep understanding of underlying process, just the knowledge of how to assemble the various parts.
                                why is it that only very few garage experimenters know about any alternative ?
                                why & why & why ?

come on, do you, youself, use any alternative energy source ?
                                i am and i am also experimenting with many different ideas.

i use wind as my main source because i built that first and it works for me at my place.
                                i have various backups and various experimental setups and RF capture is just one of them.

RF energy from the sun/lightnings, although it is basically a very very ( VERY !! ) easy idea to work with, has some points that need to be researched further.
                                every experimenter here can build this simple device and test it.

dont flame me for not going world wide commercial, i dont plan to. why ? i have my reasons.
                                you may think that this is a failed idea and as you wrote im full of blah blah blah
                                but, replicate it, try it, experiment and make your own conclusions.

@everwiser

you are very correct.

a multi frequency receiver or Multi Wave Oscillator can be added to widen the energy capturing capability.
                                Agent.A .. it wasn't meant as a personal attack
                                Be honest with me now, do you have one of these RF collector thingy's working? If so, would you be willing to show us a working unit in operation?

PS. i never said you was full of blah blah blah
                                Last edited by Zooty; 07-01-2010, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X