• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SG

Originally posted by JohnStone View Post
    Hi Guruji,
    don't mix current and voltage.
    - For the spark you need 2.5 ...3 KV per mm in order to perform. This is independent of the capacitor before the spark gap.
    - But if a spark once ignites (ionized channel) then the capacitor as charge store can deliver current in order to generate a strong visible spark - the ion channel gets more ionized and will get thicker.
    - Don't try brute force sparks in the beginning. Try to get a regular spark out of a smaller capacitor. 100pf .... 400pf. It is far better to get a fast sequence of small sparks than fewer sparks of visible brightness and audible noise.
    Thanks John for response. I have a good spark before the capacitor bank with my ZVS driver ;it can make a spark of more than an inch. The problem is that when I connect the capacitor bank spark comes in mm's ; ok although more strong as you've said. I would like to know how much the least current visible spark gap one should have to produce current to L2?
    Sometimes I wonder if the ZVS driver is good for this purpose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Guruji View Post
      Thanks John for response. I have a good spark before the capacitor bank with my ZVS driver ;it can make a spark of more than an inch. The problem is that when I connect the capacitor bank spark comes in mm's ; ok although more strong as you've said. I would like to know how much the least current visible spark gap one should have to produce current to L2?
      Sometimes I wonder if the ZVS driver is good for this purpose.
      - Not shure where you connect the capacitor bank. Is it at L2?
      - It takes a time until it is charged at L2.
      - Additionally there are notions that capacitors need hours up to days of pulse operation until they perform in an way science does not know.
      - Depending of the tuning of your setup a spark can ignite, get a backlash and stops because of the backlash out of L1. The whole system is a highly dynamic matter.
      Last edited by JohnStone; 02-23-2012, 09:25 PM.
      Experts spend hours a day in order to question their doing while others stopped thinking feeling they were professionals.

Comment

Hi guys how much gap should there be the least to produce a little juice in L2? Cause I am suspecting that my capacitor bank is not strong enough.
        For my SG to fire it's only about 2mm ;if I widen it more no spark happens.
        Any help please?
        Thanks
        When your spark gap fires, it should discharge in short time as possible. There goes spark gap quencing - Spark-gap transmitter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        Then you get wide range of generated friequencies oscillation in Tesla primary. One of those frequencies should match resonant frequency of secondary coil.
        To achieve that easily, 1) your primary coil mass should be equal secondary coil mass; 2) the wire length of secondary coil should be 4 times primary coil wire length; 3) The primary coil should have least resistance and inductance (counter-bifiler of wire diameter 4mm+ is recommended).

Hopefully that is helpful.

Good luck!

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnStone View Post
          - Not shure where you connect the capacitor bank. Is it at L2?
          - It takes a time until it is charged at L2.
          - Additionally there are notions that capacitors need hours up to days of pulse operation until they perform in an way science does not know.
          - Depending of the tuning of your setup a spark can ignite, get a backlash and stops because of the backlash out of L1. The whole system is a highly dynamic matter.
          Capacitor bank is at L1. That's good info regarding capacitors for pulse operation.
          Thanks John.

Originally posted by T-1000 View Post
          When your spark gap fires, it should discharge in short time as possible. There goes spark gap quencing - Spark-gap transmitter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
          Then you get wide range of generated friequencies oscillation in Tesla primary. One of those frequencies should match resonant frequency of secondary coil.
          To achieve that easily, 1) your primary coil mass should be equal secondary coil mass; 2) the wire length of secondary coil should be 4 times primary coil wire length; 3) The primary coil should have least resistance and inductance (counter-bifiler of wire diameter 4mm+ is recommended).

Hopefully that is helpful.

Good luck!
          Maybe one of the problem is that I'm using a thin wire for L1. I should try a bigger gauge and maybe stranded wire is better as you've said T-1000
          Ok thanks will try this.

Comment

• Hi Guruji,
            confusing - bank of capacitors at L1?
            Usually small capacitors are suffitient in order to get resonance with L2. At my setupt it was exactly 400 pF.
            Another question: serial or parallel spark gap?
            Schematic will be helful.
            Experts spend hours a day in order to question their doing while others stopped thinking feeling they were professionals.

Comment

• Hi Duncan

perhaps somehow out of subject , sorry for disturbing but in relation with your post 3247 here above

i will post the link to splitting water thread

hope this helps

good luck atr all

high voltage for splitting water 1 .wmv - YouTube

Comment

Hi guys how much gap should there be the least to produce a little juice in L2? Cause I am suspecting that my capacitor bank is not strong enough.
                For my SG to fire it's only about 2mm ;if I widen it more no spark happens.
                Any help please?
                Thanks
                Hi Guruji, you need to determine the resonant frequency of L2 while it is
                attached to it's load if it has one, then you need to determine the L1 tank
                capacitor value, you can do that like this- just say your L2 resonant
                frequency is 200 Khz and your L1 has 30 uH inductance, then to make the
                primary resonant at 200 Khz you would need about 21110 pF or 21.11 nF so
                (use 22 nF), if the primary has 60 uH you would need about 10.55 nF (use 11nF)
                to make it resonant at 200 Khz. If adding the correct capacitance to the L1
                tank reduces the spark frequency too much then you will need either,- more input power , more
                turns in the primary ( to lessen the capacitance needed ), less turns in the
                secondary ( to lessen the capacitance needed), or maybe making the spark
                gap narrower to increase the discharge frequency could work for you.

L/C Resonance Calculator

If the cap size is right the spark gap won't fire at the wrong time, so once you
                have the correct cap in place then all you need to do is get the discharge
                frequency high enough to maintain the tank oscillations enough to keep the L2
                oscillating continuously. If the cap you are adding is the correct size then I
                think you either need to reduce the spark gap distance or increase input power, if
                that's not possible then you might need to take action to alter the setup so
                that the L1 cap only need be small.

Having the primary 1/4 the length of the secondary will not guarantee
                resonance, nor will any other arbitrary method in my opinion, the L1 tank cap
                at the least will need to be sized to produce together with the L1 (primary coil) a Tank
                oscillation frequency to match the resonant frequency of the L2 (secondary).

Cheers

P.S. If you use magnets to quench the spark gap that may increase the
                breakdown voltage of a given gap width. Air flowing through the gap will
                increase the breakdown voltage of a given gap quite a bit so if there is wind it
                might need to be kept out of the spark gap especially if it is intermittent like
                from a pedestal fan on rotate.

Last edited by Farmhand; 02-23-2012, 10:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Farmhand View Post
                  Having the primary 1/4 the length of the secondary will not guarantee
                  resonance, nor will any other arbitrary method in my opinion, the L1 tank cap
                  at the least will need to be sized to produce together with the L1 (primary coil) a Tank
                  oscillation frequency to match the resonant frequency of the L2 (secondary).
                  Mechanic analogy of Tesla Coil -

Translation:

Волновой резонанс - Wave resonance

Comment

• Genuine Don Smith Pictures

Originally posted by Haan
                    Very thoughtful comments soundiceuk.

It sounds like you have already "carried out the experiments in his books".

If you could share with us insights you have had and point us to the relevant DS document it would be really appreciated.
                    A good start would be to study the pictures of his devices and try and work out the components. Then work out the common denominator.

Here is a collection of genuine Don Smith device pictures. If you have a better copy of any of these pictures, please can you post them so I can update.

Comment

• Comment

• Please save all these and archive folks!

My understanding after much Don Smith study is that scalar is infinite voltage, zero amperage.

Imagine an xyz axis where amperage is x and voltage is y

Where voltage is at 90 degrees to amperage is the zero point (vacuum).

Scalar is z.

If it was below the zero point it would be negative voltage and above it positive voltage.

If this is the case, what is voltage?

I was taught electrical pressure at college. Now I'm not so sure.

Comment

• great

Originally posted by dragon View Post
                          Gyula - I prefer analog meters over digital for higher frequency circuits although their not as specific in their read out. Unfortunately this works only for DC inputs/output.

MrClean - Think in terms of not only what a circuit is using or drawing in power but what is being reflected back. If your circuit is inefficient then the input (source energy) is required to do all the work. If it is tuned such that the circuit reflects the energy back to the input then it is simply used over and over again.

All these devices have one thing in common, resonance. There is always one circuit present in various configurations and that is an LC circuit. Look at it in it's simplest form and understand it.

I think the most misunderstood term is resonance. What is it? What exactly are you tuning for? We know one form is peak voltage on a 1/4 wave coil but is that what you want? It makes for a nice show...

Here is a wiki definition of resonance... "Resonance occurs when a system is able to store and easily transfer energy between 2 or more different storage modes" Think about it...
                          great answer man thanks

hey, one thing i noticed the other day was the "1/4" wave, if being ale to compare to musical waves before they become inaudible

compared to a guitar string tuning.... is not PHYSICALLY 1/4 length, hehe,

it is tuned with the 5th fret with the heavier lower string (L1), to the next open smaller and longer string (L2) .... that could look like 1/4 because of the 5th fret position...

BUT, that makes (the used portion of string to vibrate) the lower string
                          3/4 the length compared to the higher string

AM I WAY OFF HERE? can someone confirm if wave length is directly related to physical length
                          In the beginner's mind, there are many possibilities.
                          In the expert's mind there are few.
                          -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

• floyd sweet VTA !

Originally posted by soundiceuk View Post

My understanding after much Don Smith study is that scalar is infinite voltage, zero amperage.

Imagine an xyz axis where amperage is x and voltage is y

Where voltage is at 90 degrees to amperage is the zero point (vacuum).

Scalar is z.

If it was below the zero point it would be negative voltage and above it positive voltage.

If this is the case, what is voltage?

I was taught electrical pressure at college. Now I'm not so sure.
                            You really hit one on the head man with the xyz axial resonance.. lol what i'll call it
                            (i need to explain)
                            One of my theories about the contravertial Searl Effect Generator, is that:

..What the hell kind of materials could the kid have had at hand??
                            definitely no perfectly machined concentric multilayer cores... and ideal magnet rollers.

...he wires... maybe cores... maybe weak magnets... idk, think of the kitchen of the 1940's... what COULD he have done to produce a cold.. electric.. weight altering device as a child??...

Well,, because it is so similar in that the VTA reportedly gets lighter, colder, and is believed to be warping space-time by its weight reduction during loading....

My theory is it is closer to the the Floyd Sweet VTA, where in the PJK Book, is described as having 3 WINDINGS onto a set of magnets...
                            ok, thats believable...
                            ..on 3 SEPARATE axis (xyz) , and like it was mentioned by a wise man , z being the scalar, doing the interesting part

anyway good call about that, and everyone needs to check out Floyd Sweets stuff,

i know its off topic, but you reminded me of it, and i just came across it so wanted to share that YES, the result of what YOU described, is something INCREDIBLE
                            -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

• thanks for these

[QUOTE=soundiceuk;181458]
                              QUOTE]

thanks man Dons work is so nice to see
                              -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

• Resonance is when you disconnect power supply and circuit is still running

Comment

Working...
                                X