X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sonifiers

Originally posted by Jetijs View Post

Now we are getting somewhere. Thank you for the ideas

I already did this. I did not try to burn the mist, but water and gasoline can be misted together in the same container. It is just that gasoline is less dense than water and it flows above the water. The ultrasonic waves need to penetrate both layers and there is no way to tell which layer is converted to mist more. Therefor I think it would be better to make two ultrasonic chambers, one for gasoline and other for water and then just combine the mist output of them.

Thank you guys
    Jetijs
    Hi Jetijs,

Ultrasonics are used to emulsify different liquids in laboritories and industry, if the two could be combined - sonifier and mister, then you should end up with an emulsified vapour mix.

Sonifier® Products: Home

As with everything, it's all about frequencies!

Cheers
    Ozi

Comment

Thanks Ozicell
      Just tried to heat the gasoline with a 3 Ohm power resistor. Does not work well, the resistor does not put out enough heat to get the work done, because tha cold air from the fan is cooling the gasoline down. A more serious heating device must be used
      It's better to wear off by working than to rust by doing nothing.

Comment

The guys name was Smokey Yanuck, and he created the adiabatic engine. I remember reading an article about it in Popular Science back in the early 80s.
        Of course Detroit wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole since it might have actually be efficient. The engine seems to have sunk into obscurity after that. I wouldn't be surprised if it was bought and shelved.

Ted

Originally posted by BinzerBob View Post
        For what it is worth, an old friend of mine back in 1995 was telling me of a guy named Smoky (I do not recall his full name). Basically this guy converted a Fiero (a GM car) to burn vapor fuel. He did much work in the area and was getting amazing results. He supposedly approached GM with the concept way back in the day and GM did not hook up with him.

One thing that I know was done was that one needed a Turbo charger because when you heat the fuel air mixture it expands. The Turbo charger is used to keep the mass flow rate constant (or the volumetric flow rate).

I could not find any info about smoky on the internet... maybe someone interested might have better luck than me.

Best regards,

Comment

Zenith carburetor

How about something like this?

Had to go to the Google Cached to pull it up:

Antique Tractor Parts From The Fordson House - Parts

ZENITH GAS - (click here for picture)
          S-1238 Float assembly $18.00
          S-1240/1 Needle and seat $12.50
          S-1243 Fuel oil vaporizer plate CONTACT US
          S-1250 Manifold assy. $330.00
          S-1255 Zenith carburetor CONTACT US
          S-1256 Carburetor to manifold gasket $1.25
          S-1258 Carburetor body - lower CONTACT US
          S-1258-B Carburetor body lower assembly CONTACT US
          S-1260 Carburetor throttle lever and shaft. CONTACT US
          S-1260-B Carb. throttle shaft only $ 46.50
          S-1261 Carburetor throttle plate CONTACT US
          S-1262 Carburetor float & hinge assembly $25.00
          S-1263 Carburetor main jet #15 $8.50
          S-1264 Carburetor main gasket $0.25
          S-1265 Main adjusting needle $28.50
          S-1266 Compensator jet $7.50
          S-1267 Compensator jet gasket $0.25
          S-1268 Carburetor idling jet assembly CONTACT US
          S-1269 Venturu $14.00
          S-1272 Carburetor body upper assembly CONTACT US
          S-1273 Carburetor body gasket $2.50
          S-1276 Needle & seat $16.00
          S-1277 Carburetor connection CONTACT US
          S-1281 Lever & shaft assembly CONTACT US
          S-1282 Carburetor throttle plate CONTACT US
          S-1283 Felt $1.50
          S-1284 Retainer $5.50
          S-1285 Idle needle assembly $4.50

IndianaBoys
          Attached Files

Comment

There is a master list here too guys
            Fuel vaporization technology

Comment

Hi all.
              Since I am experimenting with gasoline vapors I have searched around the web a little and found a web site with info about a gasoline vapor carburetor. The author explains how the current carburetors and injection systems wastes fuel, because only the gasoline vapors burn, not the liquid itself, this is why it is so inefficient to inject small gasoline droplets in the combustion chamber rather than gasoline vapors. Because in the combustion chambet the gasoline turns into vapor completely only after the explosion and the unburned fuel is then burned into the catalyst converter. So the gasoline vapor is the key to get all the power out of gasoline. Using a gasoline vapor carburetor you can get up to 200mpg on a car. There is also explained how the oil companies reformulated gasoline so that gasoline vapor carburetors no longer could work properly.
              Here is the link:
              Sepp Hasslberger: Pogue Carburetor, 'Gasoline Vapor Maker' Increase Mileage

The author also suggests a rather simple carburetor design to increase MPG.
              What do you think?

I think it is a glorious idea, I have been looking into all this a lot the last few months and I stumbled up this really cool gadget and ordered one. It looks to me like it could be used as a vapor carbureter to hook up with a gas vapourizer. Works simialr to a fish carbeurator, looks like its fully adjustable.

Here is a link they are available on Ebay.
              eBay Motors: BLOS - Propane carburetor - LPG mixer - upto 200HP NEW! (item 160299975861 end time Dec-20-08 15:51:30 PST)

Or do a search on this if link does not work
              BLOS - Propane carburetor - LPG mixer

Also another cool thing to play with is this which hooks to the exhaust and can be easily made.
              V-diode MPG Enhancer

Comment

Smokey

Hi BinzerBob
                Thank you for joining this thread
                Can you tell me what a turbo charger is? Some kind of compressor?
                Thank you,
                Jetijs
                Thanks for starting this thread Jetijs. This is my first post in this forum so please bear with me.

First to answer your question, a turbocharger is basically an exhaust driven compressor, a method of supercharging.

Smokey was most often interested in producing power from his engines, in this case efficient power.

His vapor engines used carburation; fuel exited into a water heated chamber( in the fiero engine there was also a rotating stainless bristle brush that ran the length of the chamber under the carb that broke up fuel droplets) then went thru a small turbocharger that he claimed both homogenized the fuel and acted as a one way valve to prevent the fuel mix from backing out of the system. The turbo developed 1/2 lb of boost. From there it entered the intake manifold . The manifold was jacketed for and heated by exhaust to 440 degrees, before entering the cylinder. This made for a very rich dense combustable mix that probably burned longer and more slowly, continuing to create pressure farther down the combustion stroke.

I have no information on cam specifications he might have used .

Dwight

Comment

Thank you Dwight for joining this thread
                  And thank you for the info
                  So far I am intending to build a metal cylinder with a heater element on the bottom of it. I ordered an electronic thermostat, that will enable me to adjust the heat in the cylinder as I want. Will pour some gasoline inside and see how it behaves when heater. This should provide me with all the needed data to continue, I mean the max usable temperature, pressure and so on
                  Thanks,
                  Jetijs

Comment

Thank you Dwight for joining this thread
                    And thank you for the info
                    So far I am intending to build a metal cylinder with a heater element on the bottom of it. I ordered an electronic thermostat, that will enable me to adjust the heat in the cylinder as I want. Will pour some gasoline inside and see how it behaves when heater. This should provide me with all the needed data to continue, I mean the max usable temperature, pressure and so on
                    Thanks,
                    Jetijs
                    In previous post it has been mentioned that additives have been added in order to retard vaporization. Be aware that some portion of these additives are heavy ends of the crude reintroduced into the fuel. Over the yrs inventors have noticed that over time their vaporizers return diminishing results. This is because slowly the heavy ends of the fuel that do not vaporize, collect , adhere to and insulate the heat exchanger surfaces.

So in designing any vaporizer one might be well advised to build a unit that can be disassembled and cleaned periodically to restore mileage when it drops off.

Dwight

Comment

Vaporiser carbs

Jetsis, and all; Welcome to the club!Running a car on vaporised gas has enormous appeal, and many have been trying it, for years, myself included.I continue to persue it, because I think it is theoretically possible. However, I believe it is more complicated than simply making 1 device, (a vapor carb) and off you go.Cars, as constructed, aren't set up to run on vapor, and gasoline, as made, isn't made to fully vaporise.The car has (IMHO) several systems that need to be re-made, besides the fuel delivery system;cooling, exhaust, intake, timing and ignition.This is, I believe, what Smokey Yunick did.For a more updated version of a similar approach, check out impulse engines;http://www.impulsengine.com/index.shtml. These guys are very close, and have been modyfing there approach, I check back every 6 mos. or so, and every time I see some changes.And they have been working on this for,..10 yrs. or so.They are focusing on performance AND economy, perhaps because thats their interest, or perhaps because they feel thats where the $ is.Anyway, Its the approach of looking at all the interrelated systems that i admire, and that I think has the best chance.Oh, and by the way, 1 of the ways that gasoline doesn't "like' to be fully vaporised; I don't believe you will be successful in compressing the vapor and storing it in a tank. It will simply re-condense into a liquid!Vaporisation is a combination of heat and pressure.When it vaporises, gas turns cold.(It 'absorbs' a LOT of heat).To reduce the amount of heat, you introduce vacuum, or less than aptnospheric pressure.Therefore to compress the vapor will simply turn it back into a liquid, without the addition of enormous amounts of heat.Vaporised gasoline is not especially flamable unless it is mixed with air, which is another reason to vaporise it in a vacuum.Once vaporised, however, it is heavier than air, and doesn't mix easily with air. This was 1 of the reasons Smokey used a small turbo, to mix the vapor with the air.Other gaseous fuels, such as propane, liquify under pressure, and vaporise at aptnospheric pressure, and mix well with air once vaporised.Anyway, lots of luck, but I can tell you it ain't easy, and you have a long way to go! Jim

Comment

Guys i uploaded a whooping 920 patents/info that relating to fuel efficient carbs.

RapidShare: Easy Filehosting

Comment

Regarding Patents

Having gone thru the patenting process, something to remember; All you need to obtain a patent is a NOVEL idea. You don't need to provide a prototype. You don't need to show it works.There are a kajillion patents for devices to vaporise gasoline.And yes, the men in black suppressed them.(Or, bought a few of the more promising ones, and figured out how to re-formulate gasoline so they wouldn't work).However, its also possible that a lot of them are simply unworkable, especially with current gasoline. Many of them may work with coleman or white gas, particularly on a stationary engine, like a genset. When you factor in movement and accelerating decelerating, and constantly changing loads, that makes it even more difficult.I believe the GEET system is like that, works well with stationary, not so well with a car. (Or so I have read).Patents are good as a way of seeing what ideas others have come up with, just remember that just cause it has a patent, doesn't mean it works.On a hopeful note, the inline skate was patented;....in 1892.There simply wasn't a market for it, then.So, maybe one of these old patents has an idea whose time has now come.Jim

Comment

Originally posted by vzon17 View Post
                            I think it is a glorious idea, I have been looking into all this a lot the last few months and I stumbled up this really cool gadget and ordered one. It looks to me like it could be used as a vapor carbureter to hook up with a gas vapourizer. Works simialr to a fish carbeurator, looks like its fully adjustable.

Here is a link they are available on Ebay.
                            eBay Motors: BLOS - Propane carburetor - LPG mixer - upto 200HP NEW! (item 160299975861 end time Dec-20-08 15:51:30 PST)

Or do a search on this if link does not work
                            BLOS - Propane carburetor - LPG mixer

Also another cool thing to play with is this which hooks to the exhaust and can be easily made.
                            V-diode MPG Enhancer
                            I got my Blos Carburetor in today. looks well bulit and nice and solidly constructed. Just thought I'd update youall on it.
                            V

Comment

Hi all
                              I got my electronic thermostat and played with it a little:

There is a 2000w heating element on the bottom side of that cylinder. The temperature probe is just submerged in the water. The heater is turned on and off via a relay and the relay is controlled by the thermostat. So far it works great and can maintain the water temperature constant with just about 1-2 degree accuracy. Now I need to make a cap to cover the upper side of that cylinder. I will put some holes on that plate, one will be for a pressure gauge, other will be for the output. Will see how gasoline will behave when heated
                              Thanks,
                              Jetijs

Comment

Hi all.
                                Today I made the top cap for the fuel heater with an adjustable output valve and a pressure gauge.

I found that if I adjust the output valve to the correct position and maintain a constant water temperature, I can get a steady pressure inside the heater and a steady steam flow from the output valve. So far I did not try any higher pressures than 3 PSI and temperatures higher than 104 degree Celsius. But this seems to work well. Of course you have to be very careful when working with steam. But I wont need such temperatures to get the same pressure and output flow using gasoline. More testing in progress

Comment

Working...
                                X