No announcement yet.

Multifilar Generator Coil - Lenz delay Experiments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I will build a generator with magnets placed in halbach array mode. I have already bought 40 pieces of magnets and I will still buy 40 pieces, the rotor will be external to the electric bicycle hub, so I can experiment with different types of stators. If there are any grammatical mistakes, I use google translate, I am Romanian and speak Italian only, so please excuse me!https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-pc...27424c4ds056EX
    Attached Files

Comment

• Nice work. Nice stater. Radial machines are good that they can present an endless stream of flux cutting copper, but harder to engineer , for low drag, than axial machines. Faraday's macine could present an endless steam of flux cutting copper , but had other issues. Please share how Hallback array works, for low drag.

cheers.
      Last edited by lotec; 06-18-2019, 10:47 AM. Reason: to clarify

Comment

• Hi all, Hi bromikey, thanks for sharing the good information.
        Yes, don't think my setup at the moment will be too much an issue, as it starts up fine, though with more core/coils, probably not with this motor.

Though with 4 core/coils, with the 10 magnet rotor, it might not be too bad.

As It rotated in the cad program and it showed that when a magnet set is ready to move away from the cores, another set of magnets would be pulling strong to help move those away from their respective cores.

Hi lotec, thanks for the positive words.

Been busy working on the workshop in shed, it was taking on water, think we fixed that problem and we made the work bench 24" deep for these type of projects.

Also had to screw the project board down to the workbench, as the core/coil holding structure was causing a little flex of that board, when the magnets passed, now it is better.

Then I also realized the one set screw in the arbor was not sufficient to keep the shaft centered and secure inside the arbor.

So I'm working on drilling and tapping 3 new set screws at equal points around the arbor.

That should do the trick, they are for 3/16" diameter bolts or set screws, which should give more stability and be more secure, especially with blue loctite added if needed.

Here's the new workbench and progress of arbor..
        peace love light

Comment

• Originally posted by SkyWatcher View Post
          with 4 core/coils, with the 10 magnet rotor, it might not be too bad.

As It rotated in the cad program and it showed that when a magnet set is ready to move away from the cores, another set of magnets would be pulling strong to help move those away from their respective cores.
          Yes that is worth a try, good thinking can't wait. If I had 4 cores I might
          do that test as well, someday. 4 core correctly spaced would lower the
          price way down.

Comment

• Hi bromikey, thanks for the reply and positve words.
            Well it wouldn't be perfect, since just as 2 of the magnets, (180 degrees from each other, as seen in the photo), are needing to be pulled away from their cores.

The other 2 magnets which are 90 degrees or so from the other magnets, need a little more rotation to start pulling hard at their cores.

So it would be at least a 50% or more improvement, at neutralizing the magnet cogging issue, I think.
            Actually, 6 core/coils might be an even better geometry, for reducing magnet cogging, I'll look at my cad program in a bit and check that.

Was working on the motor arbor again today.

Picked up a few, actual small allen set screws.

I tapped threads at both sides of shaft on the nut coupler.

Also had to shim the shaft with one layer of aluminum tape, (though not sure how the tape will hold up) that solved the centering and wobble issues, as did the set screws.

Then used some blue loctite on the set screw threads, as they came loose on first test run, with just the core in place.

Will test run it tomorrow for a bit and see if it can hold together or not, will use super glue on threads if need be.
            peace love light
            Last edited by SkyWatcher; 06-20-2019, 03:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SkyWatcher View Post
              Hi bromikey, thanks for the reply and positve words.
              Well it wouldn't be perfect, since just as 2 of the magnets, (180 degrees from each other, as seen in the photo), are needing to be pulled away from their cores.

Will test run it tomorrow for a bit and see if it can hold together or not, will use super glue on threads if need be.
              peace love light

I feel your pain

From what I read if you have 8 hard magnets the best it to use either 7
              cores or 9 cores and if it is maximized the best that can be achieved
              is the equivalent of 1 magnet to 1 core cogging resistance. Less that
              perfect means same as 2 core cogging to break the lock.

Still this is much better than all of them locking up on you all at once.

I get a big kick out of your progress, stay at it, you will be in pole
              position sooner than you think. There are a bunch of guys who will
              follow you.

NOTE: If you get time check out the SERIAL BRAIN 2 decodes we are
              living in historic times.

Comment

• Hi bromikey, thanks for the encouraging words.
                Yes, It's been tricky getting this homemade arbor to work well, I think I am onto it though now.
                The slight wobble seen in the video, I'm sure that can be resolved as well.
                The blue loctite seems to be working well though and with at least another core on the other side, that would balance things better and reduce vibrations.

Next step is to wind the already prepared, 26 strand coil, onto the core/coil bobbin.
                Here is a video of it running at 12 volts, with just the core in place.
                peace love light

https://youtu.be/8kjUei--LUU

Comment

• Hi all, an update on project.
                  I decided to try and get the small wobble out of the magnet rotor rotation, somehow.
                  So on examining further where the problem is, yet again, it is the arbor-shaft interface.

So my final effort to solve the motor arbor issue is this.
                  I have used full strength jb-weld, and globbed it onto the motor shaft.
                  Then used masking tape to protect motor bearings and then wrapped a masking tape former around the globbed on epoxy, so it will cure more uniformly.

When the epoxy fully cures by tomorrow, the motor will be powered on and a metal file will be used to machine the epoxied shaft to the correct diameter, to fit the nut coupler/motor arbor.

Wish me luck.
                  peace love light

Comment

• Simple request

Originally posted by SkyWatcher View Post
                    Here is a video of it running at 12 volts, with just the core in place. ...

https://youtu.be/8kjUei--LUU
                    Nice video SkyWatcher. Can you please measure volts and amperes with and without the core in place. RPM for both cases would be nice if you have a tach.

Thanks in advance,

bi

ps. Another interesting test would be to run for a while with the core and record the temperature.

Comment

• I watched your video.
                      You remind me of a younger me.
                      I haven’t seen how your parts are matched, but if you recess the tighteners
                      and also use the threads all the way down to the rotor, maybe you will have stability?
                      I use one single pole for the build and two outer stable bearings.

Comment

• Hi all, thanks for the positive replies.

Decided to change the setup, since my homemade motor arbor is not working as well as hoped.
                        So, had this drill press collecting dust and some rust and decided to use it rotate the magnet rotor.
                        The rotor now stays true and rotates the magnet rotor almost perfectly.
                        Still need to think about how to mount it and the coil/core bobbins.
                        peace love light

https://youtu.be/uDQhnrIVfj4

Comment

• Nice setup. You can get those drill presses for not to much and
                          is a perfect pick for a fast test rig with variable speeds. Nice.

Now you can see the significance of having a rotor have it's own
                          shaft and bearings.

Comment

• Safety.

I think something like a full face motorcycle helmet with
                            polycarbonate visor would be in order.

Comment

• Hi all, Hi bromikey, thanks for the positive words.
                              Yes, have realized that separate shaft and bearings works better, as have built those in the past, just wanted to see if I could get a homemade arbor to work with out lathes and such.
                              Could still use back to back drill chucks for the scooter motor, though think this drill press setup will work fine for now.
                              Hi quantum well, yes, will try and be safe, thanks for the concern.

Hi turion, thanks for sharing the drawing.
                              Was thinking about having the rotor in a vertical position, pretty much similar to what you are showing in the drawing.
                              Might be safer also and the flat board that the coils sit on might have less flex, being vertical and using I-beam type supports behind the board.
                              peace love light

Comment

• Hi all, the drill press monster modification is coming along.

It took quite some time brainstorming this thing, had to just look at it, ponder it and come up with ideas.

It's fairly rock solid now and more core/coils can be added later with a sheet of wood in front of the magnet rotor, with I-beam type reinforcement at back of board.

Will just have one core/coil to start testing at bottom of magnet wheel.
                                peace love light

Comment

Working...
                                X