Friction heater running in my house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SkyWatcher View Post
    Hi folks, Hi slapstick, thanks for sharing your work.
    Had to chime in, though not much to share.
    Replicated those plans found on net many years back, with the large paint can as the rotor and used aluminum flashing for the outer hull, 1/8" gap or so between outside of paint can and inside of outer hull.
    Used treadmill motor with small belt to rotor.
    Used high temp auto sealant and high temp JB weld to glue together outer hull seem.
    Only problem, was not very focused at the time, unfortunately and used water inside and did not see any heat, though bet a thin oil might have worked.
    Though of course the tolerances were nothing like what you have.
    Though have seen others that claim to have achieved high heat from things like a soup can inside of each other with small gap.
    Makes me want to try and rebuild it with tighter tolerances, you know, elcheapo method that works fairly well.
    peace love light
    tyson
    Hello skyWatcher

Thanks for the chime in
    If you do build this heater witch I hope you do, I would be more then willing to help.
    Oil does work best in this heater. Soy bean oil not motor oil, just pick it up at you local store.
    Elcheapo is good but somethings you don't want to go cheap on in this build.
    I have learned that the hard way and have rebuilt this dam heater a 1000000 times it feels like But I got the bugs worked out and will pass them on to anyone who want to build this.
    Thank you
    Gabriel

Comment

Hello,

I have 5 l oil in the stoker. Temperature the engine rises with 500 rpm by 1°C / min, The motor is a little bit warm. Gabriel you have a COP 400% with 100W. I have a COP 36% with 900W

Lota
      Last edited by lota; 11-14-2012, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Hi gabriel, of course would love to build another version of this, though not much resources to do so, maybe a small coke can model is in range.
        If you can offer any information on building an elcheapo coke/soup can size model, that would be much appreciated.
        Here is a link to those heater plans for anyone curious about what they have to say about it.
        Download Fuelless Heater.pdf from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way
        peace love light
        tyson

Edit: click on download link that says: "Click here to start download from sendspace"

Comment

slapstick

I sent you a pm
          William Reed

Comment

Water Heater From Friction Heater

Hey Slapstick,

Just thinking out loud that you could immerse the friction heater into a tank of water and send the hot water produced to radiators in other parts of the house or to a radiant floor heater.

Quick sketch attached.

Cheers,
            Vince

Water_Heater.jpg

Comment

Adding fins on the outside of the cylinder will help get the heat out in the room. You want it to look like a giant heat sink. More surface area = more heated air

I still wonder about the efficiency of these things vs other forms of heating.

Comment

Originally posted by lota View Post
                Hello,

I have 5 l oil in the stoker. Temperature the engine rises with 500 rpm by 1°C / min, The motor is a little bit warm. Gabriel you have a COP 400% with 100W. I have a COP 36% with 900W

Lota
                Try using soy been oil, and do not let the temp go over 400F.
                I am sure it just the oil you are using.
                You drive discs could be a larger dia.
                Keep every thing from moving but the drive discs.

Thank you
                Gabriel

Comment

Originally posted by Vincevl View Post
                  Hey Slapstick,

Just thinking out loud that you could immerse the friction heater into a tank of water and send the hot water produced to radiators in other parts of the house or to a radiant floor heater.

Quick sketch attached.

Cheers,
                  Vince

[ATTACH]12450[/ATTACH]
                  Hello Vince

Its funny you made mention of this. I am building one just to be heating my hottub
                  Thanks for the feed back
                  Gabriel

Comment

Originally posted by velacreations View Post
                    Adding fins on the outside of the cylinder will help get the heat out in the room. You want it to look like a giant heat sink. More surface area = more heated air

I still wonder about the efficiency of these things vs other forms of heating.
                    I have already done that, The next video I am posting will be sowing what I have done.
                    P.S. Stop wondering and build one I can help if you like
                    Thanks for the feed back
                    Gabriel

Comment

Hi,
                      I take rapeseed oil. I must take a new engine.
                      I have also built a heating after this patent.
                      Patent US4685443 - Hydraulic friction heat generator - Google Patents
                      10 disks 115 mm of diameter. The temperature rises very fast. 6-7°C / min.
                      Thanks for the feed back

lota

Comment

Hi folks, Hi slapstick, would much prefer the bouncing of ideas were for all to see, unless you prefer it not to be public, which is fine also.
                        So does anyone think those plans posted of the paint can heater, have any workability, or is it just an inefficient design compared to using the multiple disks. thanks.
                        peace love light
                        tyson

Comment

Originally posted by lota View Post
                          Hi,
                          I take rapeseed oil. I must take a new engine.
                          I have also built a heating after this patent.
                          Patent US4685443 - Hydraulic friction heat generator - Google Patents
                          10 disks 115 mm of diameter. The temperature rises very fast. 6-7°C / min.
                          Thanks for the feed back

lota
                          Hello Lota
                          I have seen that design before. It does look a little harder to make but doable.
                          With the temp rise @7-8C is very nice. It look to me that with a high RPMs on the design would make a lot of cavitation, much like a water hammer. The fins would pulsate with a hit and miss, could lower the Amps and make it cheaper to run. It would be worth a try to build

Thank you
                          Gabriel

What is the flashing temp on rapeseed?

Comment

Originally posted by SkyWatcher View Post
                            Hi folks, Hi slapstick, would much prefer the bouncing of ideas were for all to see, unless you prefer it not to be public, which is fine also.
                            So does anyone think those plans posted of the paint can heater, have any workability, or is it just an inefficient design compared to using the multiple disks. thanks.
                            peace love light
                            tyson
                            Hello Tyson
                            You know I haven't built a drum style heater because the shear fact is that there is so little area for friction. So you would have to make a really big drum on drum, and take up a lot of space. But like i said I have never built one like that so i really don't know. The Frenette style heater was the size of a washing machine.

Comment

Originally posted by slapstick View Post
                              I have already done that, The next video I am posting will be sowing what I have done.
                              P.S. Stop wondering and build one I can help if you like
                              Thanks for the feed back
                              Gabriel
                              I would love to build one, but I have 2 issues.

1) no electricity, or at least, not much
                              2) not a lot of need for heat, I have a Rocket Mass Heater I recently built, and we live in a mild climate with a passive solar home.
                              Rocket Mass Heater - VelaCreations

But, the idea intrigues me. I would like to see someone actually test output heat vs input energy. That would be excellent data to have.

Comment

Originally posted by velacreations View Post
                                I would love to build one, but I have 2 issues.

1) no electricity, or at least, not much
                                2) not a lot of need for heat, I have a Rocket Mass Heater I recently built, and we live in a mild climate with a passive solar home.
                                Rocket Mass Heater - VelaCreations

But, the idea intrigues me. I would like to see someone actually test output heat vs input energy. That would be excellent data to have.
                                That's a really cool stove.

Comment

Working...
                                X