No announcement yet.

Simple Inverter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Nick Z, can you let me know how your PV works out etc when you have tested it... kind regards Dupe

Comment

• Dupe and All:
      You can be sure that I will let you all know about the homemade solar panels.

I have connected my two 12v 7ah batteries together in series to both joined together inverter set ups. The results are very bright Cfls, as well as the Led bulbs, BUT the transistors could boil water, especially when using the regular higher wattage Cfls, like 25 to 65 watts. Not that I've thrown the circuits in a bucket of water. The gutted Cfls seam to work better at causing less heat, but also produce less light outputs. I will probably have to rewire the yoke core,and the ferrite bead cores to be able to handle these higher voltages, when using the 24 to 36 volts input.
      I'm still working on all this, and to control the transistor heating issue.
      I will experiment with earth ground connections to different places on the circuits, next.
      As mentioned previously, any ideas are welcome.

Nick_Z
      Last edited by Nick_Z; 01-16-2013, 06:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SkyWatcher View Post
        Hi folks, desoldered a flyback transformer today from one of the TV circuit boards.
        tyson
        Many thanks for this Tyson. I got two computer monitors this weekend. This is so helpful. Is there anything we can do with those varnished wires windings enclosing the flyback ? Seems like a waste to not use the wire.

Comment

• Hi folks, hi seanK, your welcome.
          The flybacks from the TV's here, the wire is all encased in some hard glue of some kind, so not much chance of using the wire itself in these.
          Though if you mean to use the encased wire for something, sure something could be done with it.
          Like power something that prefers very high voltage or used as a stepdown for a high voltage source, with low turn primary wrapped around it.
          peace love light
          tyson

Comment

• which is better ?

Hi Tyson,

I am interested in the miessner low voltage clf circuit you used earlier in the thread and appreciate your feedback on it:

Did you progressed much with this variation on the lower voltage ?
            Is the miessner osc better suited for gutted or stock CFL, led, etc ?
            Which core is recommended (I have the 1/2 yokes and the flyback) ?
            Is the JR circuit the better way to go as far as efficiency (from the source) ?

Cheers
            Sean

Comment

• Hi folks, Hi sean, thanks for the post.
              Have not made anymore tests powering the 9 watt gutted cfl using 1-3 volt input, though plan to see how it can be improved.
              The meissner circuit, so far, seems best with gutted cfls, though the typical joule thief with secondary is better for the lower voltages with gutted cfls and non-modified led bulbs and the simple inverter is good also.
              Depending on what you want to power, the flyback core will give more turns for a given area and thus a lower coil resistance, compared to the yoke cores, which makes the flyback core better for lower voltage tests and the closed core with air gap also helps to light bulbs that open cores might not, depending on flyback core saturation.
              Depending on which version of joule ringer one is using and what the load is, tests here have shown that circuit can be efficient, though one runs the risk of transistor heating and possible transistor damage (frying them) .
              Hope that helps for now, feel free to ask any more questions and share your results.
              Will be making some more tests here soon with lower voltages.
              peace love light
              tyson
              Last edited by SkyWatcher; 01-29-2013, 07:52 PM.

Comment

• Hi All, Thanks for your feedback Tyson. I will give it a short and try to document the results as I go. Basically, would like to power 13w CFL ungutted or PDLs (I guess that's like gutted). The miessner circuit is interesting so was hoping to experiment with self oscillation. Maybe I need to have two different project

Comment

• Hi sean, sounds good.
                  Results here so far have shown that the dual transistor, simple inverter powers ungutted cfl's the best, due to the internal circuitry of the cfl bulbs.
                  Assume 'PDL' means led flashlight, have not tried those yet, be aware some of those have internal voltage regulator circuits that may or may not be beneficial to pulse power and could be damaged by spikes.
                  This is a video that shows the simple inverter powering a 13 watt ungutted cfl and a 15 watt ungutted cfl. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkZ8L97X8xE
                  Though it uses 12 volts and an iron toroid, sure it could be made to work with lower voltage and possibly the flyback core.
                  peace love light
                  tyson

Comment

• Hi Tyson,
                    Perhaps I got my terminology mixed up (PDL=>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ko...offlampe.jpeg).

Will give that one a shot too. Do you recall the source current with 15watt bulb ?

BTW, has anyone tried to wrote these up sorta like a how-to once the thread matures (sorta like what Ashe does for PANACEA) ?
                    I don't mind doing it, if there is no objection, once I figure it out for myself.

Comment

• This link works

File:Kompaktleuchtstofflampe.jpeg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

• Hi sean, the ungutted 15 watt, if recall correctly, was a little more than the 13 watt, probably around an amp or so.
                        Feel free to compile and share anything you wish, sounds like a nice idea.
                        Was making some lower voltage tests today with a laser saber type slayer exciter, using the flyback core and same windings as previously.
                        Then as soon as 12 volts was applied, fried a TIP3055.
                        That circuit is finicky to say the least.
                        So, tried the regular joule thief with secondary again, using flyback core, same windings with a single 1.2 volt nimh rechargeable cell, was able to get very useable light for the bathroom.
                        It uses just under a half watt and puts out more light than the 16 warm white leds I am using in the bathroom with a wall wart at around 12 volts-almost 2 watts.
                        So .5 watts is very nice for the light output, using the same 2 watt Feit, 3 sided, pyramind looking bulb that slayer shows in a few of his videos.
                        So decided to gut it as he did and see if it will go brighter, it did by a little bit.
                        That led bulb has 9 leds, 3 per side and all in series.
                        Without a large, high inductance type torroid or something similar, trying to get good light at low voltage and amps using a gutted cfl, is very difficult.
                        So leds seems to be the only alternative, probably best to buy leds by themselves or from christmas strings, if wanting to use those type, as they are much cheaper that way.
                        peace love light
                        tyson

Comment

• Hey Skywatcher
                          since you work with inverters I thought to post this here,

A Better Inverter To Change DC Current to AC | New Energy and Fuel
                          Half of the Answer is knowing the right Question

Comment

• The output is DC not AC!!

Comment

• Hi folks, just wanted to share a couple light projects i built recently, one is still in construction.
                              Built a small lamp bought from goodwill store, it is completely portable, uses 1.6 watts, ferrite tv flyback core, one 3.8 volt lithium ion cell, 6 watt ecosmart led bulb and it puts out a very good amount of light.
                              The other project I'm building right now, is an inline inverter box.
                              It is designed to power gutted compact flourescents, though will see if led bulbs work also.
                              All you have to do, is make your gutted cfl bulb and you can use any lamp you wish, plug lamp into one end of inline inverter box and plug in ac power cord into wall.
                              Standard step down transformer, etc. is inside to power meisner circuit.
                              Idea is, it can be used on any lamp one desires and it will power good gutted cfl's or even burnt out (filament) gutted ones, so we basically have a 'forever modified cfl inverter', so we never have to throw out the harmful cfl's, we just keep using them, as long as the gas remains within the cfl bulb.
                              I'll post pics of these two projects tomorrow and the progress of the forever inline inverter.
                              peace love light

Comment

• Hi folks, here is a couple pics, first pic is the inline meisner circuit inverter powering a modded 13 watt cfl, it can also run led bulbs, though is intended for the modded cfl's, since this circuit can run those as long as the cfl still has gas inside it.
                                Next pic is the childs lamp led light, it is brighter than the picture displays and uses one lithium ion cell, all electronics are inside the cylinder base.
                                peace love light

Comment

Working...
                                X