Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) & Mercury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) & Mercury

I have had a few conversations over the last couple of days that prompted me to do some new research on the link between IBS and mercury.

I am not a doctor or dentist, nor am I advocating any course of action for an individual to take regarding their health.

With that said, I barely scratched the surface of information that is available on the net regarding the correlation between mercury and IBS.

Here is just a taste of what is out there-I know I have cherry picked quotes out of articles...this is not to discount other possible causes of IBS, but to illustrate that mercury is One of the causes of IBS.

IBS is the number one digestive problem in the USA.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is a functional disorder of the bowel that may include the symptoms of bloating, gas, diarrhea, constipation, nausea, and cramps over an extended period of time. The intensity of these symptoms can range from mildly irritating, to altogether disabling. In contrast to Inflammatory Bowel Disease, there is no physical change noted in the digestive tract with IBS. According to the National Institutes of Health, approximately 1 in 5 Americans have Irritable Bowel Syndrome, though women are affected by IBS three times more often than men.

Causes

There is not a single clear reason as to what causes Irritable Bowel Syndrome as it generally has a number of intertwined causes. Almost all mainstream medical institutions declare that there is no known cause for Irritable Bowel Syndrome. They speculate that it may arise as a result of stress or diet, with the symptoms of IBS usually beginning around age 20.

Some believe that one major cause of Irritable Bowel Syndrome could be heavy metal toxicity, particularly from mercury dental amalgams.

Although mercury is a naturally occuring substance, it is extremely poisonous in the human body. In "Mercury on the Mind," Donald Miller relates how a person attempting to smelt silver from several dental amalgams he obtained, heated them in a frying pan. The mercury vapor that was generated soon killed him. Two other family members in the home at the time died soon after.

Mercury amalgams

Most mercury amalgams are composed of approximately 50% mercury, 35% silver and 15% tin, copper and/or zinc. Mercury is the major ingredient amounting to about one-half gram per amalgam. In the words of Professor Boyd Haley of the University of Kentucky, that is a "colossal" amount of mercury in scientific terms—as much, in fact, as is in a thermometer. A teenager with six fillings has six mercury thermometers worth of mercury in his or her mouth.

Diseases / Syndromes Associated with Mercury Toxicity

MERCURY FILLINGS AND HOW THEY DESTROY YOUR HEALTH!!!

MERCURY FACTS AND HEALTH CONCERNS.

Those "silver" fillings in your mouth are actually 50% or slightly more mercury. There is only about 35% silver in them along with 9% tin and 6% copper. The mercury is not inert or stable as you may have been told. In fact, every time you eat something acidic, hot or chew at all or brush your teeth, mercury gasses off directly into your system (80% of inhaled mercury goes to your lungs) and via your bloodstream, settles in various organs of the body, particularly the nervous system, liver, kidney, thyroid, pituitary, prostate, testes, ovaries and pancreas.

In a study done on over 1300 patients, symptoms were reported which ranged from:

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)

Another study shows of 1569 people shows that 15% (231) of them had gastrointestinal problems, when they had the mercury containing dental fillings removed 83% of them (192 of the 231) were cured or experienced significant improvement.

Alternative Medicine London: Dr. Bourne Tackles IBS through Mercury Poisoning Treatment

Chronic mercury poisoning from so called ‘silver’ dental amalgam fillings is sometimes also implicated, in which case Dr. Bourne addresses this problem.

Irritable bowel syndrome is an epidemic in the United States. More than 5% of the population is afflicted by "idiopathic" (cause unknown) bowel discomfort, urgency, and diarrhea type symptoms. IBS can progress to colitis, but is different in that colonoscopy finds no obvious pathological changes in the bowel. Whereas with colitis there is observable erosions and often bleeding. IBS and idiopathic colitis very likely represent a spectrum of disease/condition progression.

Attempts at pharmaceutical drugs to treat the symptoms of IBS have produced results that are more dangerous than the condition itself. Presently there is no magic drug to treat this problem.

Yet a number of people have been able to achieve substantial relief by sleuthing out their own situation, performing trial and error experiments to determine what personally eliminates their symptoms.

The approach we believe most likely to gain success is the "irritant - reaction" view. Something in a person's diet and/or environment is providing an irritant that is causing allergic and immune type reactions in the gut. Under this view the most important investigation to conduct is isolating and eliminating one's source of irritants.

The first place to look is in the mouth. Recent science shows that a significant percentage of the population is reactive to the dental metals in their teeth. Nickel, mercury, and gold are the three most common dental metals that people have been objectively demonstrated via MELISA® test to produce immune reactions. As long as offensive metals in the mouth are releasing ions into the gut, IBS will be an ongoing problem.

http://www.jigsawhealth.com/articles...me-causes.html

Mercury poisoning:

Mercury poisoning

Alternative Medicine London: Dr. Bourne Tackles IBS through Mercury Poisoning Treatment - Free-Press-Release.com

Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Kevin

PATHS For Healing
    Energetic Science Ministries
    Meditation at the Click of a Button, Guaranteed!

ESM Forum Support Link

mercury vapor

Kevin, I found this and it seems that mercury is also a possible major culprit in mood disorders such as bioplar, etc...

"Chewing food with teeth that have mercury fillings on the biting surfaces of the bicuspid and molars will cause a release of mercury vapor for a 90 minute period. This fact has been scientifically documented by Drs. Fritz L. Lorscheider and M.J. Vimy of the Department of Medicine and Medical Physiology University of Calgary."

That is from this page:
    Bipolar Disorder Possible Dental Connection
    Sincerely,
    Aaron Murakami

Books & Videos https://emediapress.com
    Conference http://energyscienceconference.com
    RPX & MWO http://vril.io

Comment

Thanks Kevin - great info!

Stress and diet also are major causes of IBS. Certain medications can contribute to the problem as well.

By the way - I had all my amalgams removed and replaced with safe composite materials a couple of years ago. Yee haw! It isn't cheap, but it is money well spent. Be careful when researching holistic dentists. The first one we went to was internationally recognized as one of the leaders in holistic dentistry and he messed up several teeth which had to be redone by another dentist (who was phenominal, but recently retired). Some dentists also want quite a bit of money for the consultation. We are in the process of finding a new dentists here in AZ and it isn't easy to know who is best.

Also, if you are planning on having your amalgams removed, you can only do one side (right/left), or one quadrant at a time. If they tell you anything different, correct them (and consider finding another dentist).

For all those thinking of having this done - Congrats and Good Luck!
      Blessings on the journey, Glenn
      PLEASE HELP JEANIE FUND HER CANCER TREATMENTS
      Handmade Ceramic Gifts
      Discover-PATHS
      [

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn View Post
        Thanks Kevin - great info!

Stress and diet also are major causes of IBS.
        Stress might be a cause of IBS, I tend to believe it is more of a trigger. Something (diet, mercury, parasites/bacteria) is irritating the bowel, then stress can trigger an episode.

For those that have reduced stress, or learned to deal with stress differently, they may experience a reduction in symptoms, but the underlying irritation is still there, it just does not get "riled" up because the stress trigger has been removed/reduced.

Course, I could be completely wrong, this is my understanding based on my research and personal experience.

Kevin

PATHS For Healing

ESM Forum Support Link

Comment

Thank you Kevin!

I have spoken to Kevin by phone the last few days, and he is a real sweetheart!!

He gave me some natural things to do and has had much patience with me. I have been whining about my IBS attacks all over this forum, and am still in real panic and fear of this getting worse. After talking to Kevin, (I had NO IDEA that mercury could be such a problem for this), I KNOW that I had my levels tested last year, and I came high on mercury and lead.

Kevin has kindly given me advice about detoxing, and I am also starting the process tomorrow (I have to do the urine test first), to get my current levels, then will proceed with IV chelation. I am determined to give this a try, because I cannot continue with this pain.

Also, I spoke to someone I know today who is very knowledgeble about lots of holistic stuff, and told me that I must use a holistic dentist to remove the fillings I have.

I want my fillings out NOW!! But I realize this will take time, and I hope that starting the process that Kevin suggested, and going to the doctor, will start the process of detoxing, even though I will have the fillings for a while. I have a lifetime of buildup, and hopefully, having to wait a bit for the fillings will not ruin everything...especially since I am sure, once I have a name of a dentist, he is probably booked up, and it will TAKE TIME to get appts... ..at least I will be starting to detox through the IV's the years of buildup, although I have to wait for that also, as it is a process.

THANK YOU KEVIN!!!!

P.S. ......"As long as offensive metals in the mouth are releasing ions into the gut, IBS will be an ongoing problem........"

As long as I start detoxing, that should help even if it takes time to get the fillings out, right??? It takes a long time for metals in the body to build up, so doing the chelation and other things Kevin suggested would rid my body of plenty of mercury even though I might still have the fillings for several months...........???

Thank you!
          Last edited by VJoy; 09-11-2008, 01:07 PM.
          Blessings and Peace to All --Val

Comment

fillings

Hey Kevin, long time no see!

Just popped in to check out the site. I had my amalgams out a couple of years ago. I'm glad I did. Haven't really noticed any difference in health or attitude, but I know it was the right thing to do in the long run.

My sister had Irritable bowel syndrome. She went to a raw food diet, with probiotics, and laid off the beer. Seems to have helped.

Kimberly

Comment

WHOO HOOO

SNOW IS HERE!!!

Yes, it has been a long time.

It is so good to see you here. I hope you can take a little time to visit us regularly.

It would especially be fantastic for you to contribute in the http://www.energeticforum.com/psychic-paranormal/ subforum.

Kevin

PATHS For Healing

ESM Forum Support Link

Comment

fillings or no fillings? That is the question...

Okay......saw my doc today and am doing the urine test for heavy metals. Will have the results in 1-2 weeks, then based on that, start IV chelation.

As for removing the fillings......I am debating that. While I want them OUT, I talked to several people in the doc's office, and there are differing opinions....of course idealy it would be best to get them out. BUT, it may not be necessary in my case, I don't know yet. An holistic dentist would definately have to do it. I have terrible teeth and a very sensitive, bad mouth, so fooling with changing the fillings could cause me serious teeth trouble in the future,.....or not.

I was told that some patients opt for removal, and some just do chelation and are very happy with the chelation alone. I met a woman today who just had FOURTEEN fillings changed It really depends on personal decision and physical condition, and I am thinking, doing chelation and removing a lifetime of metal buildup might be enough for me.....I might not NEED the removal of fillings right now. Or ever. So since I obsess endlessly, I still don't know what to do about the fillings, but might just leave them for a while and see how the chelation does alone for my IBS pain.

Thank you Kevin for this lead all about mercury, I at least have something to stride towards, something to try for IBS!!

Val, worrier and pest galore......

Comment

Ugh...

Hi folks.......

I am through 6 of 10 chelations to remove my mercury and lead levels. It hasn't helped at all!!! I got another pain attack and it isn't any better than berfore..........I had so hoped this was the answer, at least to make the attacks a little bit more bearable, but if 6 out of 10 chelations didn't make any difference in how I feel......I will complete the treatments, (i have to put them on hold, because now I am an invalid who can't move) but...I don't believe this is the answer for me.

I have no hope left. I don't know what else I can try!!!! I am typing this in between pain attacks, and I am drugged out of my mind.

That doesn't mean it couldn't help someone else.......but for me, 5 months of this kind of pain, and I can't even eat....I have lost 10 pounds in that time, and I am now underweight,......I can't eat because it goes right to the pain area.

I don't know what kind of life is left to me anymore.

Sorry......I am overwhelmed with hopelessness.......

Comment

Progressive Relaxation

Hi Val,

Have you ever practiced relaxation exercises? I don't mean simple breathing or meditation exercises.

This site has a great breakdown of Progressive Relaxation exercises:
                    Relaxation / Stress: Self-administered Progressive Muscle Relaxation (PMR)

Since the very early 1900's, many digestive issues have been either reduced greatly if not totally eliminated by these exact relaxation exercises. They appear to calm the digestive system in many people that do these exact exercises consistently every day. I do a variation of these myself for other purposes. I can't of course guarantee these will do anything for you but it is something I have come across and wanted to share it with you.

If you see your doctor often enough, it might be a good idea to print that site out and ask if they are ok for you to do.

If you search for Progressive Relaxation online, you will find quite a bit if you want to learn more. You can also search for digestive references with these exercises.
                    Sincerely,
                    Aaron Murakami

Comment

Aaron

Hi Aaron, thank you. I have bookmarked the site, but my looking at it will have to wait until I am in less pain, or less drugged....I am completely out of it now. In fact I am shutting off my computer, I can't sit here.

I appreciate it

Comment

Hi Val,

My experience may have nothing, or everything to do with what your going through so I will throw it out there.

I had similar problems most of my life and was almost always in distress with my stomach. The pain would become so bad at times I thought I had some terrible illness somewhere in my digestive tract.

I also thought it could be IBS but it seemed much too strong and painful for that.

Eventually what I found out is certain foods were causing this for me. It wasn't so much any particular food, or allergy, but different combination's of food or drinks that would cause different digestion processes to begin or end prematurely, thereby causing great deals of pain and suffering.

I also believe that cumulative years of eating this way had taken its toll so eventually even the smallest thing I ate, or didn't eat would trigger terribly painful episodes.

It was hard to believe that something so simple was disrupting my life so much, but that's what it was. No Doctor could figure it out and I visited many. The problem had gotten so bad that they were planning to run scopes down my throat to investigate my stomach.

Once I determined some of the things causing me problems and removed them from my diet, I started to feel better. Now I very rarely have any pain after eating. When I do, since it happens so rarely, I can almost always identify the food or combination of food that caused it and not repeat it.

The really good thing however is that even after triggering it to happen these days, it is no where near as painful as it used to be because my system has repaired itself and is rarely subject to the trauma.

Here are some of the things I did to prevent the attacks.

I can eat simple salads/ruffage alone, but never ever with any other food.

I cannot drink anything that contains sugar or eventually becomes sugar with food. Especially any type of juice.

I cannot drink anything that contains caffeine.

I cannot eat heavily sugared foods before or after a meal. 3 hours is usually the time frame I have to wait, but sometimes I do not even think that is long enough.

I can only drink water with food, no other type of drink.

I cannot have any alcohol.

I cannot refrain from food! If I get too hungry, eating almost always causes pain.

On the other side of that, sometimes eating a lot of food can cause problems as well.

Also greasy foods can sometimes trigger an attack.

There are some other things but those are the main components of what I did.

If I stick to the boundaries above, I have a completely normal digestive system with no pain at all. I by no means have to eat healthy either. I can pretty much eat anything provided I don't mix the foods that cause a reaction.

Its funny because when I am around people who I haven't seen in a long time they will expect me to be having stomach problems, or not being able to go to restaurants and it shows me just how severe it must have been.

Hopefully there is something in there that can help you. I wish you luck because I know from experience its a very tough and frustrating thing to deal with but once you identify what the main problem is, I believe things will get much much better for you.

Comment

Gary and Aaron

Dear Aaron and Gary.....I hope this makes sense I am very drugged up.

Thank you for your suggestions......

Aaron, I appreciate the webiste about muscle tension, but I don't see how that would work in my case. I can tense the abdomen muscles, but this is bowel spasms.........and even if could tense the bowel, (Which I haven't a clue how that is possibe) It would set of such a horrible series of spasms........But I thank you for the suggestion. My doctors know nothing, so showing this to them wouldn't help.

Gary, thank you.......I don't eat most of what you listed, so that isn't the cause or an irritant. Actually, my doc put me on an elimination diet, that I started 2 weeks ago, and it hasn't helped. She also gave me a powder to mix in water and drink 2X a day, to help leaky gut syndrome. I found that the powder actually helps with my severe constipation.

Unfortunately, during the 2 weeks of the month that I don't have pain, I have started really trying to put weight on....I have lost over 10 pounds in only a few months because of this, and I am underweight. During these attacks...... ANYTHING I eat goes right to the area of the bowel that spasms, so during this time I eat almost nothing. Pain trumps food or hunger....

You mention a scope...I have had an endoscopy and a colonoscopy, and there was nothing to see......the pain is the lower left abdomen, and if it weren't for the 3 drugs I take, pllus enteric-coated peppermint capsules (natural anti-spasmotic)........these drugs keep me alive during this time........

I think that a lifetime of having to take laxatives, and enormous stress, had broken down my intestinal tract....and I don't know how to repair it. I really had hope about the mercury, but that doesn't seem to be helping.
                          I appreciate your suggestions guys, I really do......I am at the end of my rope, and I don't know what to do next...... I am soooooooo tired of fighting this......so very tired

I hope this made sense, like I said, I am very, very drugged up.

Thank you guys...
                          Last edited by VJoy; 10-20-2008, 10:58 PM.

Comment

progressive relaxation

Hi Val,

Getting the muscles to relax on the entire body has influence over the whole nervous system, etc... and has shown to calm spams in areas where we normally think we can't control.
                            Sincerely,
                            Aaron Murakami

Comment

Aaron,....

Hi Aaron, okay, I will take another look at it. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                              X