• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tesla Bifilar patent #512,340

COIL FOR ELECTRO-MAGNETS - Google Patents

UNITED STATES PATENT OFFICE.

NIKOLA TESLA, OF NEW YORK, N.Y.

COIL FOR ELECTRO-MAGNETS

SPECIFICATION forming part of Letters Patent No. 512,340, dated January 9, 1894.

Application filed July 7, 1893. Serial No. 479,804. (No model.)
    To all whom it may concern:

Be it known that I, NIKOLA TESLA, a citizen of the United States, residing at New York, in the county and State of New York, have invented certain new and useful Improvements in Coils for Electro-Magnets and other Apparatus, of which the following is a specification, reference being had to the drawings accompanying and forming a part of the same.

In electric apparatus or systems in which alternating currents are employed the self-induction of the coils or conductors may, and in fact, in many cases does operate disadvantagely by giving rise to false currents which often reduce what is known as the commercial efficiency of the apparatus composing the system or operate detrimentally in other respects. The effects of self-induction, above referred to, are known to be neutralized by proportioning to a proper degree the capacity of the circuit with relation to the self-induction and frequency of the currents. This has been accomplished heretofore by the use of condensers constructed and applied as separate instruments.

My present invention has for its object to avoid the employment of condensers which are expensive, cumbersome and difficult to maintain in perfect condition, and to so construct the coils themselves as to accomplish the same ultimate object.

I would here state that by the term coils I desire to include generally helices, solenoids, or, in fact, any conductor the different parts of which by the requirements of its application or use are brought into such relations with each other as to materially increase the self-induction.

I have found that in every coil there exists a certain relation between its self-induction and capacity that permits a current of given frequency and potential to pass through it with no other opposition than that of ohmic resistance, or, in other words, as though it possessed no self-induction. This is due to the mutual relations existing between the special character of the current and the self-induction and capacity of the coil, the latter quantity being just capable of neutralizing the self-induction for that frequency. It is well-known that the higher the frequency or potential difference of the current the smaller the capacity required to counteract the self-induction; hence, in any coil, however small the capacity, it may be sufficient for the purpose stated if the proper conditions in other respects be secured. In the ordinary coils the difference of potential between adjacent turns or spires is very small, so that while they are in a sense condensers, they possess but very small capacity and the relations between the two quantities, self-induction and capacity, are not such as under any ordinary conditions satisfy the requirements herein contemplated, because the capacity relatively to the self-induction is very small.

In order to attain my object and to properly increase the capacity of any given coil, I wind it in such way as to secure a greater difference of potential between its adjacent turns or convolutions, and since the energy stored in the coil considering - the latter as a condenser, is proportionate to the square of the potential difference between its adjacent convolutions, it is evident that I may in this way secure by a proper disposition of these convolutions a greatly increased capacity for a given increase in potential difference between the turns.

I have illustrated diagrammatically in the accompanying drawings the general nature of the plan which I adopt for carrying out this invention.

Figure 1 is a diagram of a coil wound in the ordinary manner.

Figure 2 is a diagram of a winding designed to secure the objects of my invention.

Let A, Figure 1, designate any given coil the spires or convolutions of which are wound upon and insulated from each other. Let it be assumed that the terminals of this coil show a potential difference of one hundred volts, and that there are one thousand convolutions; then considering any two contiguous points on adjacent convolutions let it be assumed that there will exist between them a potential difference of one-tenth of a volt.

If now, as shown in Figure 2, a conductor B be wound parallel with the conductor A and insulated from it, and the end of A be connected with the starting point of B, the aggregate length of the two conductors being such that the assumed number of convolutions or turns is the same, viz., one thousand, then the potential difference between any two points in A and B will be fifty volts, and as the capacity effect is proportionate to the square of this difference, the energy stored in the coil as a whole will now be two hundred and fifty thousand as great.

Following out this principle, I may wind any given coil either in whole or in part, not only in the specific manner herein illustrated, but in a great variety of ways, well-known in the art, so as to secure between adjacent convolutions such potential difference as will give the proper capacity to neutralize the self-induction for any given current that may be employed.

Capacity secured in this particular way possesses an additional advantage in that it is evenly distributed, a consideration of the greatest importance in many cases, and the results, both as to efficiency and economy, are the more readily and easily obtained as the size of the coils, the potential difference, or frequency of the currents are increased.

Coils composed of independent strands or conductors wound side by side and connected in series are not in themselves new, and I do not regard a more detailed description of the same as necessary. But heretofore, so far as I am aware, the objects in view have been essentially different from mine, and the results which I obtain even if an incident to such forms of winding have not been appreciated or taken advantage of.

In carrying out my invention it is to be observed that certain facts are well understood by those skilled in the art, viz: the relations of capacity, self-induction, and the frequency and potential difference of the current. What capacity, therefore, in any given case it is desirable to obtain and what special winding will secure it, are readily determinable from the other factors which are known.

What I claim as my invention is:
    1. A coil for electric apparatus the adjacent convolutions of which form parts of the circuit between which there exists a potential difference sufficient to secure in the coil a capacity capable of neutralizing its self-induction, as herein before described.
    2. A coil composed of contiguous or adjacent insulated conductors electrically connected in series and having a potential difference of such value as to give to the coil as a whole, a capacity sufficient to neutralize its self-induction, as set forth.
    NIKOLA TESLA.

Witnesses:
    • Robt. F. Gaylord
    • Parker W. Page
    Sincerely,
    Aaron Murakami

Books & Videos https://emediapress.com
    Conference http://energyscienceconference.com
    RPX & MWO http://vril.io

Comment

Coil for electro-magnets

Hi Aaron,

thanks for sharing, I knew about the flat pancake but it's the first time I've read Tesla's explanation, very interesting. From what I gathered doing the little experiment Jeremy brought up, this neutralizing function of self induction works on flat spirals due to its geometry, while applying it to a normally wound coil it is exactly like putting to coils in series, basically like one bigger coil and doesn't give that sort of gain. I see your way(or Meyers) of connecting the coils like to series coils with the load in between(wich is like your drawing only differently shown):

series.jpg

It would be interesting to know what voltage gain you have like this versus two completely separate coils. I would also like to know if there is a way of taking advantage of Tesla's find but on "normal" shaped coils

regards

Mario

Comment

bifilar pulsing

Hi Mario,

One thing appears to be so and that is: during on pulse, cell + is hit with positive pulse. During off pulse, because of blocking diode, coil discharge goes in the SAME direction and doesn't reverse polarity so the cell + it hit with a SECOND pulse of same polarity.

I found the same thing about 3-4 years ago with a single inductor on pos side and diode, discharge is in same direction...I got no reversal in polarity..it was same as initial pulse. I deduced it was as if the switch is open before inductor so it can only go find ground - towards cell.

Same gain as the flat pancakes? I don't know. But if both coils are on 1 core, there will definitely be more strength in the field than 2 single coils. This is also a known with Bedini coils. 1 coil with 4 power wires is stronger than 4 individual coils. They all pulse together, there is a synergy and the sum is more than the parts. So, I would say in this geometry with these kind of coils, yes, there is a benefit.

page 7-1 in tech brief

VIC voltage circuit (60) utilizes copper wire-wrap to form Resonant Charging Chokes (56/62) of Figure (3-22) in conjunction with Switching Diode (55) to encourage and make use of "Electron Bounce" phenomena (700) of Figure (7-9) to help promote Step Charging Effect (628) of Figure (7-7) by preventing electrical discharge of Resonant Cavity (140 - 170) since Blocking Diode functions as an "Open" switch during Pulse Off-time;

The off pulse lets coil discharge towards the cap again so you get almost twice the bang for the buck. This seems to evidently help water cap prevent discharge by having that extra pulse keep the voltage up.

The open switch means that on the off pulse, it is the same as being disconnected so it has to go somewhere and finds its way to ground and the only way it can do that is by going towards the cell.

Switching Diode (55) of Figure (3-22) prevents Bidirectional electron flow (current flow in one direction only) since Blocking - Diode (55) only conducts "current flow" in the direction of schematic-arrow while being placed in-line with VIC Circuit impedance interaction (R1 + Z2 + Z3 .•. Re), as mathematically extrapolated in Circuit Equation (Eq 9) ... Diode (55) being placed between Secondary Pickup Coil (52) and Resonant Charging Choke (56) to act as an electronic switch in open-position during pulse off-time (T2) of Figure (7-8) while preventing electron flow in reverse direction when Inductor (L1) collapsing electromagnetic field (FLl) produces another unipolar pulse wave-form ( 64a - 64b) ... producing unipolar voltage wave-form (64a xxx 64n) during repeated pulse-signal (46a xxx 46n) on-time (Tla xxx TIn) ... allowing the formation of an gated pulse- frequency pulse-train (64a/64b - T3 - 64a/64b) when pulse off-time (T3) is greater than time-period (T2) ... input-signal (49a xxx 49n) being a Pulse-Train where (T2) pulse offtime (T2) is adjusted to allows Unipolar Pulse-Train (64a xxx T3 xxx 64n) ... outputting Voltage-wave signal (64a xxx 64n) being a pulse-frequency doubler due to Inductance Reactance (FL) of Inductor Coil (56) of Figure (3-22) when collapsing magnetic field (FI) of Figure (7-3b) re-cuts coil-wrap (Ll) during each pulse off-time (T2) ... producing a second unipolar voltage wave-form (64b) during the rise and fall of magnetic field (71), as further illustrated in (620) of Figure (7-1).

MAN! He is long winded...

So we know

1. Diode keeps potentials and current in one direction only acting as switch to "disconnect" inductor from circuit on off pulse.
        2. Diode is obviously between secondary and charging choke
        3. Collapsing inductor causes UNIPOLAR pulse..so polarity stays same in the forward direction.
        4. Collapsing unipolar pulse is "pulse-frequency doubler" so cell gets 2 pulses for 1 pulse input.
        5. Sounds like when off time exceeds on time, off time is adjusted to ensure that the unipolar pulse train continues with consistency.

The first reference of bifilar in the tech brief on page 6-3 states:

"Resonant Choke Coils (56/62) of Figure (3-23) (Memo WFC 422 DA) are composed of 430F or 430FR inductance stainless steel film coated (hi dielectric value) wire (typically .004 Ga. or smaller) which are axially (spiralled) Bifilar wound about core bobbin (502), forming individual spiral-wrap (inner to outer circumference and being equally-length) coils (501a xxx 501n) electrically connected in sequencial order to form resistive pickup coil (503)."

Sounds like bifilars are definitely connected in sequence.
        Sincerely,
        Aaron Murakami

Comment

Bifilar pulsing

Aaron, I agree with all of that. But I just did another quick test and put a pretty big bifilar coil(air core) between the SS and the battery reversing the connection of one strand (like you did in the latest drawing). I actually got a bad charging rate compared to without the added coil , but I had a battery on the end, not a cell, eventough I tought there would be quite some similarities. Weird...

Mario

Comment

so what would be an easy method for winding a pankace coil?

seems like it would be difficult to keep it from popping up on itself. could it be glued down onto a piece of cardboard or plastic sheeting? that would be a mess if it wasnt wound the way you wanted or if the coil needed alterations.

perhaps a dowel in the center and two pieces of cardboard close together, and would inbetween the two pieces of cardboard? that would take a long time though.

Comment

capacitance reactance

Hi Mario,

Try charging up a regular capacitor both ways and see the difference.

The WFC will have lower impedance than a battery so less back pressure holding in the charge in the inductors. If the battery is fairly charged, maybe too much back pressure.

Sounds like the inductors you had are too small for battery application but maybe big enough for wfc.

Also, I saw a reference that the capacitance of the inductor should be more than the capacitor.

page 7-9 tech brief

Capacitance Reactance

Capacitance Reactance is determined by the insulation resistance (Rs+ Re) and Inductance (LIIL2) interacting together during D.C. Pulsing. Dielectric property of water opposes amp leakage (Re) while another property of water takes-on an "Electrical Charge". Water temperature (Rt) (cool-to-the-touch) keeps (Re) constant since amp flow remains minimal. Plate Inductance (Lc) is Inductance Reactance of Inductor (L1 ) and Inductance Reactance of lnductor (L2) in series with Resonant Capacitor (140 -170) of Figure (7-6) as to (690) of Figure (7-8). In terms of Component Reactance, Inductors (LIIL2) should always be larger than Capacitor (ER) of Figure (7-2) in order to maximize amp restriction to enhance "Voltage Deflection" (SS' - 617a xxx 617n - RR') of Figure (7-4) and, is expressed by :
              Sincerely,
              Aaron Murakami

Comment

flat coil

Looks like a nightmare to me to wind those pancakes with small wire!! lol

Interesting things: Trifilar Coils
                Sincerely,
                Aaron Murakami

Comment

VIC Pancake? I don't think so!

I wondered if Meyer ever did the flat coil style for the chokes:

"The Voltage Intensifier Circuit is a bifilar pancake coil transformer which provides distributed capacitance and inductance to the tube sets in the Cell. Its function is to manage the transfer of potential through the Cell, while inhibiting the passage of current by the circuit."

I see absolutely no proof of this claim. Probably idea for taking advantage of concept but....

That isn't Meyer's words, that is from some stuff posted at:

page 6-3

"axially (spiralled) Bifilar wound about core bobbin (502), forming individual
                  spiral-wrap (inner to outer circumference and being equally-length) coils (501a xxx 501n) electrically connected in sequencial order to form resistive pickup coil"

The resultant tri-coil configuration (Inductance core 53 - choke coils 56/62 - primary coil 26 - secondary coil 52), now, allows magnetic field coupling (71a xxx 71n) to pass through both resonant-coils (56/62) and secondary coil (52) simultaneously when primary coil (26) is pulsed energized by way of incoming pulse-train (46a xxx 46n). In doing so, magnetic flux-lines (71a xxx 7In) are induced into spiral-wrap coils (505a xxx 505n) to produce inductance coupling (511a xxx 51 In) between each secondary spiral-coils (505a xxx 505n) which are parallel formed to expanding magnetic flux-lines (71a xxx 71n) ... producing step up voltage potential of positive electrical intensity (positive voltage potential) by way of inductance / capacitance interaction across secondary coil-assembly (52) while keeping opposition to electromagnetic build up to a minimum.

That means PRIMARY, SECONDARY AND BIFILARS (can be) on same core so they are wrapped around a core and not flat style. At least in this description. The tech brief is a compilation of just about all his chronological events.

7-4

The circular-spiral turns of wire (forming parallel electrical surfaces) is separated by an Insulated Dielectric Coating Material which forms a series of capacitors (Cda xxx Cdn) when magnetic flux-lines (619a xxx 619n) produces Electromagnetic Coupling Field (621) during pulse on-time (Tl), as illustrated in (640) of Figure (7-3) as to (690) of Figure (7-8).

10-2

The resultant Amp Inhibiting Circuit Figure (10-1) as to Figure (10-3 A/B) further allows amp restriction (minimizing current leakage) to be continued even if applied "Voltage Amplitude" is increased. The length and diameter size of the copper-wire spiral wrapped coil (56/62) of Figure (10-1) being paired together and electrically energized in conjunction with applied Voltage Pulse-Frequency determines how much "Amp Leakage" will occur across capacitor Gap (Cp) while "Voltage Pulse-Potential" (Va xxx Vn/49a xxx 49n) of "Opposite polarity" (B+/B-) is/are allowed to be applied across "Electrical Voltage Plates" (Voltage-Zones) (66/67). To reduce amp leakage still further, the copper wire of both Resonant Charging Chokes (56/62) can be replaced with an magnetically ~ductive stainless steel wire (430F/FR) having a resistive value (Ohms) to the flow of electrons while taking on the capacitance and inductance characteristic of a coil wire. VIC Bifilar Wrap Coil-Assembly (10-3B) and VIC Dual Coil Wrap-Assembly (10-3A) both utilize either "E"& “I” and "U" Inductance Core configurations to concentrate Mutual Inductance Fields (Rp l/Rp2) in order to optimize Amp Inhibiting Process (750) of Figure (7-14). "E" “I” core shape (10-3B) is most preferable since amp spike surge is minimize during repetitive pulsing operations.

Many examples he gives of primary/secondary and both inductors on same core. NOT pancake style...so misinformation by anyone who says it is?

When primary is pulsed ON, the magnetic field in the core that is created will cause the inductors to charge instantaneously and NOT just from the + potential moving into the inductors. It will be both. Also the OFF pulse inductive collapse moving forward is NOT just the from the inductors alone but the field created by primary coil turning off collapsing.

I think this is the direction to go... too many references by Meyer himself where all the coils are on the SAME core.
                  Sincerely,
                  Aaron Murakami

Comment

same core

Sincerely,
                    Aaron Murakami

Comment

Single Core Layout

This pic shows a literal representation of the unicore concept where the primary/secondary and the 2 chokes are on the same core.

If both are bifilar, then primary/secondary are wrapped together and the 2 chokes are wrapped together.

When + pulses into primary at the top into the light blue wire, the primary coil will have a NORTH field at the top...you can see how the wire comes off the core and are wound that there will be north at top so SOUTH at bottom of primary in this situation.

If secondary is wound together, the BOTTOM wire will need to go through diode to POSITIVE CHARGING CHOKE, which will give a NORTH field at the BOTTOM of the pos charging choke...like in the square coil.

The right diagram with the pole core is just a visualization easier of what is really happening with magnetic field in core.

Anyway, the charging pos choke will have south at top. The negative choke will have the identical field as the pos choke.

A BENEFIT of this arrangement and the only one that makes common sense is that when the primary is charged with north at top that follows around to the south part of charging chokes and up through the chokes and back to south on primary. so in the SQUARE coil diagram, you see that the magnetic field goes north in the CLOCKWISE DIRECTION.

Not only does the chokes charge from the potential going into the chokes from the secondary, BUT, they also get a kick from the magnetic field of the CORE being charged from primary will will give a BOOST to what is happening in the chokes. THIS AMPLIFIES THE CHOKES.

THIS IS ALL HAPPENING DURING THE ON PULSE.

When pulse turns OFF, charged chokes collapse in SAME DIRECTION because of blocking diode, which is the same thing as opening a switch and disconnecting the chokes there. Therefore, they will find ground in the FORWARD direction to "negative"on secondary.

During OFF pulse, primary also collapses and secondary directs that into the chokes also in the forward direction.

For each time you pay for ONE pulse into the system in this arrangement, you get TWO pulses to the WFC capacitor.

Sincerely,
                      Aaron Murakami

Comment

That sounds great Aaron thanks, have you tested it yet? I also wonder if square or even toroidal core (ferrite) is better than just one straight rod core, Bedini's coils are open.

regards

Mario

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                          For each time you pay for ONE pulse into the system in this arrangement, you get TWO pulses to the WFC capacitor.

Great Aaron. Have you had a chance to compare the signal with a scope?

Comment

core details

Hi Mario,

That is a great point about the coil being open in Bedini systems. So, the one on the right with the straight rod core may even be better. Only testing will show.

Kenny, I have not tested any common core systems yet. Just been looking exactly at what Meyer was doing and this seems to be it based on his own words.

If I were to do the one on the right with the straight open ended core, I would probably start with bundled welding rod...should let go of magnetic field pretty quick. That is all I used in the Bedini coils.
                            Sincerely,
                            Aaron Murakami

Comment

pulse doubler

In the skype chat, furvertme said:

""unipolar" "pulse frequency double" The inductor does not produce a second pulse, it continues the first one's current. Though measuring V at the inductor would resemble another pulse, the V at the WFC does not pulse, it just continues to charge for a short time."

This may be true. When I was looking at the scope when I did the bifilar test, I saw higher voltage but at the same frequency. I did not see twice as many pulses for the same time period. POSSIBLY, this might be correct.

But with Meyer's pulse diagrams..he shows the square going in at 50/50 duty cycle and the output are triangular pulses 1 for each on pulse and 1 for each off indicating double pulse.

So we need to figure this one out for sure.

He/she also says:

"[1:47:06 PM] furvertme says: series inductor switching power supplies can produce very high voltages since they use the back emf or flyback voltage to perform the boost. It does not limit to 2 times supply. The 2 times supply is a simple rule for cap charging circuits that are not pulse driven just load dump and recharge. In those the inductor peaks the charging current and continue to charge beyond the supply until it drains flux back to zero at about double supply. This is only true if the supply is stable DC during the entire charging.
                              [1:49:58 PM] furvertme says: AaronsDesign4.pdf or 5 files show a simple way to convert a Lawton circuit to operate as a boost switcher
                              [1:51:35 PM] furvertme says: Ipk = 2 x Iout,max x (Vout / Vin,min)
                              Tdon = (L x Ipk) / (Vout - Vin)

Output voltage is regulated by controlling the duty cycle.
                              Vout = ((Ton / Tdon) + 1) x Vin

Ripple voltage is directly proportional to diode conduction time.
                              Tdon max = (L x Ipk) / (Vout - Vin,max)

[1:52:36 PM] furvertme says: version 5 added a second diode and a cap between the output and the WFC to better control the power results.

[1:53:41 PM] furvertme says: Warning: This can produce HV with some serious currents and thus can be dangerous to people"

---------

The red part I highlighted indicates a misunderstanding that the collapsing magnetic field is NOT back emf.

When you ACTIVELY apply power to a coil, you get back EMF DURING the application of power. It is coming back countering the applied field AT THE SAME TIME.

The collapsed magnetic field that is time compressed to boost voltage is an event that happens AFTER the power to the coil is shut off.

The "flyback voltage" or collapsed magnetic field has nothing to do with back emf. They are NOT the same thing.
                              Sincerely,
                              Aaron Murakami

Comment

i don't see the AaronsDesign4.pdf

Comment

Working...
                                X