• Show
Clear All

• New Vid

Hi again everyone,

The new video showing results above posted here:
    YouTube - FlowerPower New Rotor

Cheers,
    Twinbeard
    Last edited by twinbeard; 09-25-2010, 07:24 PM.
    "Anything the mind can conceive and believe, it CAN achieve." Napoleon Hill

Comment

• Hi .Here is a vid of my new one magnet no bearing Bedini transformer microamp motor.
      This motor was inspired by Lidmotor with his bobin Bedini and magneticitist who has been experimenting with Bedini's and transformers using the primary as the run and the secondary as a source of high voltage for lighting flo tubes and using a seperate trigger coil.
      My motor will run on 4.5v or above and will run on 250uA at this voltage.
      It uses a minature audio transformer, a ut44 from maplins in the uk and is basically a 10 minute build from start to finish.You have to remove the steel core which is really easy with a pair of pliers and a screwdriver.Here is the vid.Jonny

YouTube - One magnet no bearing bedini transformer microamp motor

@Twinbeard.Thanks for posting your latest updates,quite amazing results and new rpm record.Can't wait to see how those other magnets perform but your rotor housing design warrants the amount of time you are spending on it as this will be where performance is lost or gained.Great stuff.Jonny

Comment

• The microamp motor

Originally posted by jonnydavro View Post
        Hi .Here is a vid of my new one magnet no bearing Bedini transformer microamp motor.
        This motor was inspired by Lidmotor with his bobin Bedini and magneticitist who has been experimenting with Bedini's and transformers using the primary as the run and the secondary as a source of high voltage for lighting flo tubes and using a seperate trigger coil.
        It uses a minature audio transformer, a ut44 from maplins in the uk and is basically a 10 minute build from start to finish.You have to remove the steel core which is really easy with a pair of pliers and a screwdriver.Here is the vid.Jonny

@Twinbeard.Thanks for posting your latest updates,quite amazing results and new rpm record.Can't wait to see how those other magnets perform but your rotor housing design warrants the amount of time you are spending on it as this will be where performance is lost or gained.Great stuff.Jonny
        Jonny--- That tiny microamp spinner looks like a winner. I have been working on rotor designs lately and have been trying tiny RC bearings to mount the magnet on. I am finding that you need really really good bearings to beat the "magnet on a mirror" setup. As I am writing this there a little motor running on my table using bearings but to make this work right I am going to have to spend the money and buy expensive ceramic ones. Friction kills these tiny low amp motor designs.

Lidmotor

Comment

• @Lidmotor,

There are a wide assortment of ceramic bearings. Three alone in the RC size range. The biggist ememy is glue! I let my bearings ride free as a consquence of glue problems. Boca sells a full wall ceramic, and a double wide. The open bearing's the cheapest, but next time I order I plan to pay a little more for the better engineered models. Click on these links:

Untitled Page $79.95

Untitled Page $48.95

Give both these models a close look before making your purchase. You'll notice the costlier bearing has an enclousure to keep it dirt free.
          Last edited by synchro; 09-28-2010, 09:46 PM.

Comment

• Good stuff, Jonny!

Hi .Here is a vid of my new one magnet no bearing Bedini transformer microamp motor.

I have a feeling the 1/8" rotor will be best in terms of RPM's, at least with this particular bi-filar starship driving them. Larger diameter coils, perhaps with more turns, but for sure with more mass will be required to get the most out of the larger rotors, I think.

I am almost finished with the CAD models of the final rotor housing design. When I have that done, I will post the model and some renders on the page for the device, and update here, of course. Images of the actual housing will come once its machined. It has to be very precise, as I have to seal the rotor in with ferrofluid, and it has to be completely evacuated of air to prevent the ferrofluid from drying up. Also, I had to empirically arrive at the best XYZ location for the rotor before having things machined! I finally settled on a design with the magnet dead center along the X and Y, with Z adjustable by rotating the housing allowing the screw threading at the bottom to raise or lower the entire assembly.

Having a proper rotor housing is critical for another reason I found last night... not sure how it happened, but I went to move the output transformer (totally external device) 6" or so nearer to the "flux transformer" device rotor. When I grasped the mumetal outer core with both hands, the rotor exploded, taking out much of the lexan housing with it.
            The upper coil former absorbed the impact of the shrapnel. I was left with small chunks of broken neosphere and lexan in a pile below the starship coil center. The sound scared the hell out of me... much louder than I would have thought.

Cheers,
            Twinbeard

Comment

• @Twinbeard
              Originally posted by twinbeard View Post
              Having a proper rotor housing is critical for another reason I found last night... not sure how it happened, but I went to move the output transformer (totally external device) 6" or so nearer to the "flux transformer" device rotor. When I grasped the mumetal outer core with both hands, the rotor exploded, taking out much of the lexan housing with it.
              The upper coil former absorbed the impact of the shrapnel. I was left with small chunks of broken neosphere and lexan in a pile below the starship coil center. The sound scared the hell out of me... much louder than I would have thought.
              Hi.Twinbeard.Congrats on being the first to blow a sphere.I wonder if there was some weakness from maybe being dropped or maybe something else is going on as it happened when you grabbed the transformer and introduced a whole bunch of capasitance to the mix.Maybe worth a closer look Twin as in my current experiments with exciter circuits,capasitance makes a big difference and you may have stumbled on something.Cheers and keep going.Jonny

Comment

• Originally posted by jonnydavro View Post
                @Twinbeard

Hi.Twinbeard.Congrats on being the first to blow a sphere.
                Haha. Quite a dubious honor, but thank you all the same!

I wonder if there was some weakness from maybe being dropped or maybe something else is going on as it happened when you grabbed the transformer and introduced a whole bunch of capasitance to the mix.Maybe worth a closer look Twin as in my current experiments with exciter circuits,capasitance makes a big difference and you may have stumbled on something.Cheers and keep going.Jonny
                Its either capacitance or creating a flux path... its worth noting that I touched a flux only circuit path when this happened. If I touch the core with one finger, output voltage and current drops. At frequencies this high, I'm sure it could have jumped right into my nervous system, and completed the circuit as though I were an additional secondary, or at very worst traveled over my skin. Add my bare feet coupling to ground to the mix too. In any case, we see higher output and higher frequency when we add load. My thinking on what happened is that either a) i added enough load to accelerate the sphere past the point where the centripidal force could send the magnet into pieces, or b) there was enough electrostatic buildup around the rotor to allow a little lightning bolt to make it go POW. Maybe, just maybe a) occured and pushed the velocity up high enough that it c) broke the sound barrier, and the resultant shock wave is what did the magnet in. That one will require some calculations... 1/8" is the diameter of the rotor, operating at 57,500Hz.

BTW, the magnets were just out of the package the day before, and had not suffered any impacts.

Cheers,
                Twinbeard

Comment

• speed of sound

Twinbeard,

That speed limit theory works out pretty close just ball parking it. Starting with the circumference of the 1/8" up to 1,125 feet per second, at over 3,000,000. r.p.m. Try and work it out see what you get? Simply, At .3 inch it comes out to 1,250 feet per second. Yup it's official! I think it's time to pop the corks! You're the Chuck Yeager of Bedini spinners! Congratulations.
                  Last edited by synchro; 09-27-2010, 11:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by synchro View Post
                    Twinbeard,

That speed limit theory works out pretty close just ball parking it. Starting with the circumference of the 1/8" up to 1,125 feet per second, at over 3,000,000. r.p.m. Try and work it out see what you get? Simply, At .3 inch it comes out to 1,250 feet per second. Yup it's official! I think it's time to pop the corks! You're the Chuck Yeager of Bedini spinners! Congratulations.
                    Hehehe. And to think dear old Dad used to sit and toss back a cold one with him at a little shack bar at Edwards called the Happy Bottom Riding Club back when the Mercury 7 were still just young gun test pilots.

Lets do the math...
                    speed of sound = 1125'/second.
                    circumference of .125" sphere = D * Pi = .3925"
                    distance of travel per second of a point on the surface in inches at 57,500Hz =
                    .3925" * 57500Hz = 22568.75"/sec
                    twelve inches per foot:
                    22568.75"/sec / 12 = 1880.7292'/sec
                    Mach = '/sec divided by 1125.
                    That would make Mach 1.6718 as the velocity of any given point on the rotational plane of the sphere.

Maybe we need to look a little deeper, unless there is a "demon that eats spheres hiding out there somewhere, and he lives at Mach 1.68." haha.

So I looked up the audible spectrum wavelength of 1/8".
                    Turns out its 108,480Hz, half of which is 54,240Hz. hmm. Maybe it tore itself apart like this, on the 1st sub-harmonic of the resonant frequency of the diameter of the sphere:
                    YouTube - Tacoma Bridge

the wavelength of my imperfectly measured 57.5kHz is
                    0.2358" keeping significant digits the same as above.

The percentage difference between the half-wave of of 108.48kHz (the resonant frequency of .125") and my measured frequency of 57.5kHz is 5.67%. That is probably within the tolerance of the following 5 factors:
                    1. material manufacturing tolerance
                    2. calibration of a 1977 model scope
                    3. my "eyeing up" method of determining frequency from scope trace.
                    4. speed of sound through NbFeB.
                    5. temperature of magnet/surrounding air effecting speed of sound.

Thats the best I can do for now, unless we want to figure out #4, which I cannot find data for, and do not have the inclination to calculate using Hook's Law at the moment:
                    Speed of Sound Formulas

For anyone so inclined, I am at about 15' above sea level, ambient temperature in the lab at the time was @85F, and the average humidity according to wunderground.com was 77%.

I do not have a micrometer to test #1, nor do I have that particular magnet anymore.
                    #2 is pretty accurate, I would say, as known voltages show up pretty darn accurately on the scope, as do test square wave traces of known period. #3 does not have a greater deviation than 1-2% or so, given the larger sample count.
                    I have no method to measure #5 at present.

Based on the foregoing, I have to come to the conclusion that it resonated itself into shrapnel.

Cheers,
                    Twinbeard

Comment

• Bearings.

@Lidmotor,

I just ran my 1" tube up to over 20K on a piece of 12 gauge insulated single strand copper wire, inside my Spiral Knot Bedini. lidmotor ran one up in his "Magnet on a leash video" with a solenoid type coil. I toyed around with lots of alternatives, but nothing comes close to Lidmotor's wire leash as a substitute for the ceramic bearings. 20K r.p.m.'s are not bad with wire axel and Spiral Knot, when compared to Skycollection's 17.5K r.p.m. with his Rodin Starship and Mag Lev setup. This turns into a real cheap alternative. I'm trying to talk Lidmotor out of $160 dollar per pair of precision ceramic bearings at this point for a drop to two thirds the speed with his own invention.

My P.V.C. core with bakery dish walls, is at the shop for a professional winding. I plan to start testing for the Lenz Propulsion Effect I achieved so easily on my first 3/4" Neo Plumber Spool generator. The Wire Axel and Spiral Knot improvement should increase output, along with the 36 gauge primary and 16 gauge secondary shop windings. It was extremely easy for me to build an overunity generator that validated Lidmotor, Jeanna and Jonnydavro's experiments. I was inspired after seeing Lidmotor's "Lightmultiplier" video around 9 months ago. This new improved model should do much better. The Spiral Knot Coil invention of mine made a huge difference. The coil is so powerful, it really makes the bearings unecessary. The bearings would help reduce input, but the generator may be so vastly overunity, the bearings may just not be worth it. It took me a long time to evolve a theoretical explaination. I'm very satisfied with it at this time, and I hope my new test results continue to bear it out.

The 1 farad capacitor charges up rapidly to a little over 12 volts on the BEMF from the Spiral Knot Bedini. This is real power, not fake electricity.

@Twinbeard,

Thank you for your excellent math work and explaination. New materials are called for.
                      Last edited by synchro; 09-29-2010, 02:12 AM.

Comment

• "Magnet on a leash"

@synchro
                        Thanks for working on this. The "magnet on a leash" idea came from Mart Hale. It is an extremely simple solution to the bearing problem if you can get it to run smoothly. I played around with it some but it sounds like you got much better results than I did----20K rpm on a wire is pretty fast.
                        I am still working on this project along with several others.
                        @Jonny
                        I got my little Radio Shack audio transformer to work but it was different than yours and would not run at the low low amp draw like yours. Radio Shack also sells a tiny 1:1 isolation transformer that I got and it made a great Joule Thief inductor that would run in the microamp range. I went to Maplin's web site and looked up the specs on the audio trannsformer that you used so now I know what to look for over here.

Lidmotor

Comment

• is these guys get any faster theyll have to change the name of this thread to "no bearing one magnet pulveriser motor"

Comment

• Field surfing magnet and wire speed record.

I just ran my 1" diametric tube neo up to 35,445 r.p.m.'s on the 12 gauge insulated wire axel. This was inside the Spiral Knot bifilar Bedini for a new speed record. That's over twice the speed record set by Skycollection with his Rodin Starship coil and Mag lev setup. His magnet is a 2" diametric tube spinner. I applied a few drops of olive oil to the wire and turned the potentiometer up all the way. I believe now that the wire begins to produce a repulsive field that levitates the tube magnet at very high speed. It grows silent around 23K and begins to race up in speed. If static levitation is the case, the bearings no longer make any sense, and we have a whole lot cheaper way to levitate the rotor than Skycollection. Ola! There's no turnng back to the costly precision ceramic bearings for me at this point. It's really sizzeling! I'll add photos when the new coil's finished and home from the shop.
                            Last edited by synchro; 10-01-2010, 12:02 AM. Reason: change

Comment

• Originally posted by synchro View Post
                              I just ran my 1" diametric tube neo up to 35,445 r.p.m.'s on the 12 gauge insulated wire axel. This was inside the Spiral Knot bifilar Bedini for a new speed record. That's over twice the speed record set by Skycollection with his Rodin Starship coil and Mag lev setup. His magnet is a 2" diametric tube spinner. I applied a few drops of olive oil to the wire and turned the potentiometer up all the way. I believe now that the wire begins to produce a repulsive field that levitates the tube magnet at very high speed. It grows silent around 23K and begins to race up in speed. If static levitation is the case, the bearings no longer make any sense, and we have a whole lot cheaper way to levitate the rotor than Skycollection. Ola! There's no turnng back to the costly precision ceramic bearings for me at this point. It's really sizzeling! I'll add photos when the new coil's finished and home from the shop.
                              I bet you can double it with a 1/2 inch diametric tube

Cheers
                              Twinbeard

Comment

• 1/2 inch

@Twinbeard,

I tired a 3/4 inch, and couldn't get it to start to spin up well inside the wide diameter spiral. I'd have to wrap one with a much smaller I.D. to fit 1/2 inch, but I agree entirely, and probably half the speed with the 2 inch. Skycollection and I are probably close to being tied for the speed record at this point with the dimension handicap added, and this returns me to a germain thred topic, because I am once again "Bearingless". I think these test proportions help bear out my Magnetic Levitation theory. I think both limits are governed by the same circuit hysterisis factor.

I sanded through the nickle coating of the 1" neo tube I had coated with the brown epoxy. It left spots in places and I noticed a balancing effect from the rough areas. The golf ball effect helped give the tube a boost in the long run anyway to help set my current record.
                                Last edited by synchro; 10-01-2010, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X