Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I heard lighter fluid is good...
    "Theory guides. Experiment decides."

“I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything.”
    Nikola Tesla

Comment

• I got new bearings

Hello Sephiroth

The bearings had friction to it so it dissatisfied me a lot, so I bought new bearings, which tend to have less friction.
      It seems that smaller bearings with smaller balls tend to have much less friction. I am about to build a mini SSG to test that.

Thanks for the input, I am going to get some lighter oil.

BTW, can you give us some info about how your SSG performs?(RPM, Charging Speed, Current draw, etc) It seems nice by the photo.

Elias
      Last edited by elias; 12-31-2007, 04:34 PM.
      Humility, an important property for a COP>1 system.
      http://blog.hexaheart.org

Comment

• my single coil motor was working better than this one is though I put that down to the batteries.

Using two 7.2Ah batteries which were fine for the 1 coil motor which drew around 300mA but this one draws closer to an amp (about 950mA) so these batteries aren't good for this current draw.

The single coil motor lost .0257A (about 1/4 watt) when running on 300mA which the rotor should have been able generate so that appeared to be over unity.

Saving up for some Golf cart batteries though I really want more than 2 batteries. Very expensive.... about £40 each I think. I understand why this motor won't achieve over unity with just 2 batteries so definatly worth investing in more.

I'm just using it for experiments at the moment until I have bigger batteries. I found this motor has two sweet spots. I have no tach (hard to find a cheap laser tach in the uk) so can only estimate speed but one is at about 1000rpm and the other seems to be just under 3000rpm so I am comparing the two sweet spots to find which is most efficient at charging the batteries.

Also comparing single stack to double stack magnets and after that will compare how long the motor will run swapping the batteries compared to it running on just one battery with the 14007 diode going straight back to the positive of the primary (just for referance).

I'll upload the results when I have them. Though this motor isn't over unity with these batteries it should still give me and idea of the efficiency of different configurations which I can put to good use when I DO get my batteries

“I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything.”
        Nikola Tesla

Comment

• Nice job on the tri Sep For small bearings guys check out hobby shops that have RC planes/cars, they usually stack a heap of different sizes for wheels etc and they are all small and high speed. I got mine from a vcr head. They already have a shaft and housing for them too.

In regards to magnets here is my opinion. The wheel is basically a timing device no? You can harness it for mechanical output but it basically is there to switch the coil on and off. You want the switch to be as fast as possible, i.e. on suddenly and off suddenly. With a more powerful magnet the on time would be longer as its magnetic field passes the coil as opposed to a thin weaker magnet. Obviously the base of your transistor needs a minimum amount of current/voltage to trigger it into action, so there is a bare minimum. I have used a ferrite magnet 10mm cubed to trigger a coil and it worked quite well. I cant compare results as the coil was tiny, but charging rate seemed satisfactory.

This could also be the reasoning behind adjustments in the air gap giving different results in charging. Further away and the magnetic flux pattern of the passing magnet is only just touching the coil and only just triggering it too.

Just my musings, someone come and explain it otherwise if its wrong
          "Once you've come to the conclusion that what what you know already is all you need to know, then you have a degree in disinterest." - John Dobson

Comment

• ren - That is what I am thinking... i didn't notice any difference in the speed between double stack and single stack (and i'm using seriously small magnets compared to bike wheel motors!) but don't have a tach to confirm it.

of course we only care about the charge ratio! So I'm going to do a controlled test to see if it makes a difference.

Those VCR bearing are great arent they! I'm using them too!

I did use rc car teflon shelded bearings but they only lasted a few weeks until they started getting sticky... very small ones, only 7mm diameter with a 3mm shaft. I'm sure slightly bigger ones will last longer

Nikola Tesla

Comment

• I finally figured out the fwbr to cap and scr circuit and implemented it into my small window motor driven by ssg circuit. It charges real well, im quite happy with it considering it was just what I had lying around. The other pic is a high speed rotor I am currently building, draws 1 amp on startup which drops to 500ma at running speed. I am using two coils in series as I just couldnt keep the magnets on the wheel with one master and three slaves. Went ridiculously fast, sounded like a jet engine on takeoff, well a mini jet engine anyway

Im surprised at its charging capabilities considering the relatively small size of the CORLESS coils and neo's on the rotor. I am beginning to think that the most important part of the ssg is the collection of the collapse, not the size of the core or how many windings. Of course all of these factors will come into play, but it was interesting to experiment with a design like this. It may not be a self runner or even super efficient, but the simple Bedini circuit implemented into this design allows for recovery of energy usually wasted. It charges my 7 amp hour quite quickly so far. From 12.20 to 12.60 in 45 minutes so far. And that battery was drained last night to 12.00 and left to sit overnight so its not the voltage bouncing back.

Sorry about the photos, the acrylic reflects the light of the flash giving a washed out look. The speedie is still under construction and has plastic covering on it. Funnily enough. Hooking a 12 volt led up to one of the unused windings caused the amps to drop from about 700ma to 500ma with no difference in speed. It only worked when installed one way though, It drew more when reversed. Both ways it lit up. I am guessing that it acted like a diode and gated back emf or something allowing the power winding to fire more efficiently? Any thoughts?
              Last edited by ren; 12-03-2009, 10:42 PM.
              "Once you've come to the conclusion that what what you know already is all you need to know, then you have a degree in disinterest." - John Dobson

Comment

• Sorry about the photos, the acrylic reflects the light of the flash giving a washed out look. The speedie is still under construction and has plastic covering on it. Funnily enough. Hooking a 12 volt led up to one of the unused windings caused the amps to drop from about 700ma to 500ma with no difference in speed. It only worked when installed one way though, It drew more when reversed. Both ways it lit up. I am guessing that it acted like a diode and gated back emf or something allowing the power winding to fire more efficiently? Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Hi Ren,

Thats an interesting effect, ma drop.I could'nt help notice that 26 amp hour battery.I have that same battery laying around that must be at least 15 years old and when I tried to charge it with a normal charger it would'nt accept the charge, It read about 6 volts.So I used the SSG on it and left it sit for about 2-3 weeks and then charged it up again with the SSG and it seems to be alive again holding 12.20 volts.I dont really use that battery much anymore but its just interesting that you can revive old batteries.

-Gary A

Comment

• Me too Gary. I have a friend that replaces fire and emergency lighting systems and I tell him to snag some batteries from time to time. They're just getting thrown out otherwise. When I got two of the 26 amp batteries I was stoked to see they both had 12.60 volts plus in them! But that soon died when I powered a 300ma 12 volt light globe. It wouldnt light properly at first, and the globe flickered. I checked all my connections and placed a multi meter on the battery and it read 4 volts. After about 30 seconds it fired up and the volts jumped up to 12 but started rapidly decreasing and was soon below 10v.

When being charged the first time it jumped up to over 17volts straight away and slowly made its way down to about 15 volts. After 5 or six cycles it is performing much better, it runs three light globes (900ma) for about 1/1/2 hours before it reaches 10v. It still jumps up instantly on charge up to about 13.5 volts. Interesting behaviour.

Comment

• Hip hip hurray!

FINNALLY got my multi coil SSG bedini working today It is soo good to look up and see that wheel spinning with two coils.

Also I took a tip from from watching a video of one of the users on the SSG group of putting two 12 V batteries in series as the charging batteries ( 24V) I was greatly impressed but the increase of the charge.

After this, with help of one older and wiser than me in such projects, I have moved up to 36 V ( three batteries ) charging in series. It blew my bulb ( silly of me leaving it on ) but with some slight modification it is still running. And yes, it charges even faster now. ( I am most careful not to knock any of the connectors to charging batteries or my transistor would be toast or vapor one of the two.

Anyhow, sucess is so good to share with those who understand.

Thanks all for helping me get my multi coil up.

P.S.

I ran a wire from outside with a 4 foot copper wire in the ground to the positive lead of the charging battery with a diode. Hope this helps.

P.S.S

I should receive this week the wind generator alternator I intend to have the SSG turn the alternator for additional output. This may be fool hearty, but since I can now turn the wheel at over 2,000 RPM with 2 coils, I am hoping I can at least get 1,000 RPM with the generator. I am excited

and HAPPY NEW YEAR 2008 !!! all

See my experiments here...
                    http://www.youtube.com/marthale7

You do not have to prove something for it to be true. However, you do have to prove something for others to believe it true.

Comment

• Good stuff mate. Sounds like you're on a ssg high!

Interesting to see that you say your got a better charging rate with the charge batteries in series, I might have to try this myself. In regards to the ground wire, did you find a significant benefit in this wire? Unusual that you are connecting it to the diode output off the collector, whereas in other peoples schematics I have seen it in the negative line on the front end. Id be interested to see/hear anyones results of this type of modification.

Keep it crankin out!

s

Comment

• theremart,
                        sonds really good. Hope that the thing with the ground wire and diode will work well for you But don't have too much hopes for the wind generator/alternator. Today I received mine and it is hard to turn the shaft. I had some usual alternators before and they were easy to turn in lo load conditions, but not this permanent magnet alternator. This could be due to the strong magnets and the drag from the copper coils, I don't know if that is supposed to be so, I emailed the seller about this. Nevertheless it generates very well. I don't think that your SSG will have enough torque to turn such a generator (as in picture), because my 6 coil/transistor SSG certainly is not able to turn this generator maybe a big flywheel would help a little.
                        Hope my new Lindemann attraction motor design will have enough torque

Edit:
                        Heh, I really should read the instructions or manuals first Here what it says:
                        "It is normal in the first few hours of use to hear some clicking sounds when the alternator is turning. This is due to the close tolerance of the rotor and stator assembly. Also it may feel somewhat hard to turn the shaft by hand, but as the bearings "break-in" you will notice that the alternator will start to turn in much slower winds. This may take several days of use depending on your local wind conditions."

Thanks,
                        Jetijs
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Jetijs; 01-02-2008, 12:42 PM.
                        It's better to wear off by working than to rust by doing nothing.

Comment

• Just a suggestion guys? I found a small model windmill at jaycar that had a little brushless dc motor inside. It was designed for a childs model, and because of the size of the blades it needed to be very efficient and easy to turn. The thing that blew me away was that at high wind speeds it put out 1amp @ 10v. If you could find something similar it would be ideal, I spun the shaft by hand quite easily, even a single coil ssg wouldnt have too much trouble turning it.

Comment

• Originally posted by theremart View Post
                            FINNALLY got my multi coil SSG bedini working today It is soo good to look up and see that wheel spinning with two coils.

Also I took a tip from from watching a video of one of the users on the SSG group of putting two 12 V batteries in series as the charging batteries ( 24V) I was greatly impressed but the increase of the charge.
                            That is awesome, Iam currently also in the process of building my dual coil SSG, too bad I fried a transistor last night trying to do it I hate when I do that!!! anywhoo I also noticed that the voltage coming into my second coil dropped a bit probably due to resistance of the wire as it is much longer than it is to my first coil. I also was thinking of running my batts in series (24V) just figured 2 coils 2 batteries. Glad I was on the right track. With all the transistors we all have burned out over the years maybe we should invest in their stock Well off to buy more 2N3055's I wonder if the other transistors are as sensitive the MJL's? I think! I hear they are more expensive though!

Comment

• Originally posted by ren View Post
                              Just a suggestion guys? I found a small model windmill at jaycar that had a little brushless dc motor inside. It was designed for a childs model, and because of the size of the blades it needed to be very efficient and easy to turn. The thing that blew me away was that at high wind speeds it put out 1amp @ 10v. If you could find something similar it would be ideal, I spun the shaft by hand quite easily, even a single coil ssg wouldnt have too much trouble turning it.
                              Are you talking about this one:
                              Jaycar Electronics
                              ??
                              It's better to wear off by working than to rust by doing nothing.

Comment

• Other ideas.

Originally posted by splocal View Post
                                That is awesome, Iam currently also in the process of building my dual coil SSG, too bad I fried a transistor last night trying to do it I hate when I do that!!! anywhoo I also noticed that the voltage coming into my second coil dropped a bit probably due to resistance of the wire as it is much longer than it is to my first coil. I also was thinking of running my batts in series (24V) just figured 2 coils 2 batteries. Glad I was on the right track. With all the transistors we all have burned out over the years maybe we should invest in their stock Well off to buy more 2N3055's I wonder if the other transistors are as sensitive the MJL's? I think! I hear they are more expensive though!
                                Actually, i considered serveral other generators:

1. Dynohub ( it is a old type bicycle generator it was in the center hub of the bicycle others make wind generators from these. Youtube has some demonstrations of this. This would work great for those who used the classic SSG bicycle wheel ( in theory )

2. Motor from treadmill. These can be had very easily on ebay.

I found this website VERY VERY helpful because the people there are VERY hands on, and are very innovative.

gotwind.org - DIY Renewable Energy Resource
                                See my experiments here...
                                http://www.youtube.com/marthale7

You do not have to prove something for it to be true. However, you do have to prove something for others to believe it true.

Comment

Working...
                                X