Spark-gap + Step-down-transformer = OU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by broli View Post
    Be careful with decreasing area. When you decrease area manually by literally shrinking it gradually you can obviously see the density increase. However when you do it abruptly by jumping to a smaller coil what makes you assume that the flux that is outside of the new area will be suddenly jump inwards as well. I hope you understand what I mean.
    Maybe the cone-shaped input-coil in some Tesla-coils are meant to address this?

/Hob
    Hob Nilre
    http://www.youtube.com/nilrehob

Comment

Attached is an illustration of the setup where only one coil is energized and the other collects the field. The collector coil is split for better distribution. But both have a total winding of 24 turns.

Edit: Oh boy I have reversed the roles. The dense blue coil should be energized.
      Edit2: Attached correct illustration.
      Are there three orange secondary windings? Trifilar?

I'm very interested in trying these experiments, thanks for this thread.

Jbignes, thanks for the link to the patent.

Comment

Originally posted by 7imix View Post

Not really but they are wound like one. The point is to cover as much surface area. It depends on the diameter of your wire and amount of turns, the smaller the diameter it is the more parallel windings you need. All parallel windings are then hooked in...parallel to form a fat wire. So it could happen that you would need 10-filar windings to cover the whole toroid with your choice of windings and wire diameter.
        Last edited by broli; 01-10-2011, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nilrehob View Post
          Maybe the cone-shaped input-coil in some Tesla-coils are meant to address this?

/Hob
          Perhaps yes. But that's assuming Tesla was looking for the same thing we are.

Comment

Not really but they are wound like one. The point is to cover as much surface area. It depends on the diameter of your wire and amount of turns, the smaller the diameter it is the more parallel windings you need. All parallel windings are then hooked in...parallel to form a fat wire. So it could happen that you would need 10-filar windings to cover the whole toroid with your choice of windings and wire diameter.
            Ok, great. I have a decent sized toroid, some 20 gauge Teflon coated wire, and some 24 gauge magnet wire. I understand that the primary and all three of the "trifilar wound in parallel" secondary windings should have 24 turns, but how long should the primary and the secondaries be in relation to each other?

Thanks

Comment

Ok, great. I have a decent sized toroid, some 20 gauge Teflon coated wire, and some 24 gauge magnet wire. I understand that the primary and all three of the "trifilar wound in parallel" secondary windings should have 24 turns, but how long should the primary and the secondaries be in relation to each other?

Thanks
              My 24 turns was just an arbitrary number. The process is:
              1. pick a toroid
              2. pick how many windings you want to work with (say 10)
              3. pick a wire for primary and secondary (is easier if secondary is thicker wire)
              4. start winding secondary
                1. wind 10 secondary windings all around evenly spaced.(this should leave big gaps)
                2. next wind another secondary winding right next to the previous, again 10 turns
                3. repeat previous step until you have no space left between secondary windings.
              5. wind primary windings
                1. choose a small wire thickness and wind 10 turns packed very closely to each other. You can even layer these windings, no need to spread them out next to each other.

6. finally hook the primaries and secondaries like the illustration, and your done.

In the illustration I split the primary windings. In the above process that would make 5 turns on the left and 5 on the right. I did this so the magnetic force is a bit symmetrical on the core.
              Last edited by broli; 01-10-2011, 01:48 PM.

Comment

The primaries should in my opinion be in parallel.

/Hob
                Hob Nilre

Comment

Originally posted by nilrehob View Post
                  The primaries should in my opinion be in parallel.

/Hob
                  Can you point where I made the mistake please.

Edit: I see what you are referring to. If you want to hook them in parallel you need to double the windings in order to keep the same amount of total windings.
                  Last edited by broli; 01-10-2011, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Can you point where I made the mistake please.

Edit: I see what you are referring to. If you want to hook them in parallel you need to double the windings in order to keep the same amount of total windings.
                    Although connecting the primary windings in your description (and picture) in parallel is not crucial to make it work (in theory) it would nevertheless help to make and highlight the point whats going on and perhaps also make it more efficient (still in theory).

/Hob
                    Hob Nilre

Comment

No problem.

The reason for the cone shaped coils that Tesla used was for amplification of the voltage he used in those coils. He found out that when the cone gets smaller the voltage rises tremendously. It's a focuser. Especially when used with impulses. originally he didn't have the coils connected to anything. He noticed that when messing with his impulses from another device the cone shaped coils seem to attract and focus the radiant energy without being connected. He called these coils zero current coils because when a meter was put across them they read nothing but yet effects like very powerful streamers emitted from the focused end. This is what eventually led him to the wireless technology or the discovery that this radiant energy could be transmitted without loss and still manifest where he wanted it to.

How this relates to your studies I don't know but I thought I would tell you more about the coils you mentioned. I hope I haven't distracted you guys from the conversation at hand.

Comment

Perhaps yes. But that's assuming Tesla was looking for the same thing we are.
                        Well, Tesla was magnifying something wasn't he, why else call it a "magnifying transmitter"?
                        So where is the magnifying part and what is it magnifying?

/Hob
                        Hob Nilre

Comment

To also spare a bit of work and wire one could use copper or aluminum tape. But it may be needed to be cut a bit to accommodate for the size difference between inner and outer radius. The extra bonus is the stickiness.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by broli; 01-11-2011, 09:06 AM.

Comment

To also spare a bit of work and wire one could use copper or aluminum tape. But it may be needed to be cut a bit to accommodate for the size difference between inner and outer radius. The extra bonus is the stickiness.
                            Thats a good idea.

I just ordered a toroidal 1kVA transformer a second ago that i will rewind for testing. Rather expensive but hopefully its worth it.

/Hob
                            Hob Nilre

Comment

Indeed. With such a solid logical base I wouldn't call it a waste, hey any experimenting isn't a waste. But when the concept is so readily graspable and obvious it's a waste NOT to try it. It's rare to have simple concepts here that have a simple (theoretical) reason of working without having to prefix it with "radiant", "zero point" or "scalar".

Comment

It's rare to have simple concepts here that have a simple (theoretical) reason of working without having to prefix it with "radiant", "zero point" or "scalar".
                                to that!

Did you see this?

http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...overunity.html
                                YouTube - Go Green! Build Your Own Motionless, Solid-state, Free Energy Generator

I thought we had to feed the coil like SS SG,
                                but maybe ordinary AC will work?

Well, I have a to-do-list with experiments including a toroid core like this,
                                so the investment is welcome anyhow.

/Hob
                                Hob Nilre

Comment

Working...
                                X