• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to trap and contain light

in 3 easy steps.

Ghost Busters!

Comment

LOL
      STEP 1. Get some light source. Like a torch or novelty laser.

Comment

STEP 2. Point it at a reflective surface like a mirror etc..

Comment

STEP 3. At slightly over light speed...place another mirror in front of the first.
          And behold...endless light.....probably...

Comment

the snake must bite its tail

Comment

you can convert a cathode ray tube into this device. DO NOT WATCH TV. EVER
              If the focusing coils on the tube neck are wired in bucking mode, it will pull in and trap light. DON'T LET THEM TELEPORT YOU TO HELL.

THIS IS THE REASON FOR THE CONVERSION BOXES

Comment

i have a better way without breaking light speed.

The deceleration and storage of a light pulse in caesium vapour

Comment

Originally posted by SuperCaviTationIstic View Post
                  you can convert a cathode ray tube into this device. DO NOT WATCH TV. EVER
                  If the focusing coils on the tube neck are wired in bucking mode, it will pull in and trap light. DON'T LET THEM TELEPORT YOU TO HELL.

THIS IS THE REASON FOR THE CONVERSION BOXES
                  This is starting to sound like a Photon Torpedo. Actually, there is such a thing as a Light Sphere, which is a Special Pattern of Light (SPL). When light is combined from two directions with the correct angles the energy fields of the light itself causes the light to roll in quadrature, without leaving the sphere. More and more light can be added to the SPL and it's only released when it comes in contact with some mass.

Comment

lol

kind of reminds me of a US comic book that i read as a kid...cant remember the title.... but it was kind of "silver surfer'ish".....in that it was an alien being from a LOOOOONG way away..... who had travelled to here way faster than light ..with a piece of "Slow glass".....to capture the light rays of his departed beloved ( the "slow glass" basically....KEPT the image/s permanently )

Comment

I'll theorize that a Phase Conjugate Mirrors would do the job, albeit I do not know of anyone who built such a mirror yet...

There was a pretty cute paper on Phase Conjugation from LANL back in the 80s: "Through the looking glass...with phase conjugation"

http://library.lanl.gov/cgi-bin/getfile?06-01.pdf

I do not even know why would you want to "trap" (visible) light as I believe it to be just a manifestation of something else.

Either way, perhaps it's important to note that (visible) light should be seen no different than a radio wave or a gamma ray. It is a linguistic trap that we fall into every time we think about light as different than other oscillations...
                      Are the ravings of a lunatic signs of a genius?

Comment

Why not a box made from one way mirror? When its get full, close it with full mirror.

Comment

Originally posted by sucahyo View Post
                          Why not a box made from one way mirror? When its get full, close it with full mirror.
                          hehe, you'll have to be realllly fast to do that
                          Are the ravings of a lunatic signs of a genius?

Comment

Originally posted by amigo View Post
                            hehe, you'll have to be realllly fast to do that
                            Well, at least the one way mirror delay it . not sure if we have any use for trapped light...

Comment

Working...
                            X