Joulethief SEC exciter and variants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muhahahahaha!!!!

Thanks Jonny, Lidmotor, Slayer, Tantric, magneticist, xee2 et al. Finally, after wasting the whole weekend trying to get it to work, it worked this morning within five mins....after switching the L2 coil wires (good advice guys ). I think i must have had loose connections all weekend. Heres a photo - only just got it to work, and havent had a chance to play with it yet.....but no plasma from the secondary, and only my neon works wirelessly....the 4w flourescent has to touch the secondary wire in order to work.

I'll be trying to make an avramenko plug and put some LEDs in. Does the type of diode matter? Anyone got a vid/schema showing the avramenko plug and LEDs?

using a 6V lead acid battery. TIP 31C. 450 turns and 4 turns.

I'll make a video once ive played around with other coils and LEDs.
    Last edited by seth; 10-03-2010, 05:17 PM.

Comment

• Heres that video i promised....

1AA battery slightly lighting a big CFL (and neon)

then a 6V battery fully lighting it.

Its always been my dream to light a CFL off of 1 AA. Thanks guys....i just couldnt get my Joule thief to do this.

YouTube - exciterproto 1.flv

Comment

• Originally posted by seth View Post
        Muhahahahaha!!!!

Thanks Jonny, Lidmotor, Slayer, Tantric, magneticist, xee2 et al. Finally, after wasting the whole weekend trying to get it to work, it worked this morning within five mins....after switching the L2 coil wires (good advice guys ). I think i must have had loose connections all weekend. Heres a photo - only just got it to work, and havent had a chance to play with it yet.....but no plasma from the secondary, and only my neon works wirelessly....the 4w flourescent has to touch the secondary wire in order to work.

I'll be trying to make an avramenko plug and put some LEDs in. Does the type of diode matter? Anyone got a vid/schema showing the avramenko plug and LEDs?

using a 6V lead acid battery. TIP 31C. 450 turns and 4 turns.

I'll make a video once ive played around with other coils and LEDs.

For your AV plug use two IN4148 diodes.
        One facing one way and the other facing the opposite way.
        Making a negative and positive for the led.
        Then wind the two other ends togeather.

You may also want to try the circuit on this page.
        Post #868
        http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...riants-29.html

Comment

• Originally posted by slayer007 View Post
          For your AV plug use two IN4148 diodes.
          One facing one way and the other facing the opposite way.
          Making a negative and positive for the led.
          Then wind the two other ends togeather.

You may also want to try the circuit on this page.
          Post #868
          http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...riants-29.html
          Cheers slayer!

Are these diodes pretty common?? Just wondering whether they'll probably have them in the electrical market. What about the MPSA06 transistor? I'll definitely give it a try when i get the diodes and transistor. And i'll try with my TIP 31C and MJE 13009, as they both work...only my TIP 42C doesnt work...dunno why.

Anyone know of any other diodes that work or may work for an avramenko plug?

In the meantime I'm gonna play with my new toy, try and get something lit off my new copper/magnesium ribbon lasersaber rep, and also try and build the transistor driven flyback power supply on this page

Transistor Driven High Voltage Flyback Transformer Page.

I think it resembles this thingy, but i am no electrical engineer

Comment

• @ Seth

Congratulations. The fluorescent tube will probably light bright from 1.5V if you wire it between the negative battery terminal and the top of your big coil.

Comment

• Originally posted by xee2 View Post
              @ Seth

Congratulations. The fluorescent tube will probably light bright from 1.5V if you wire it between the negative battery terminal and the top of your big coil.
              Cheers xee2! I'll try immediately!!!

Heres a beautiful picture of a xenon tube at the output with 12V at the input - i cant thank you guys enough for introducing me to such a fun experiment!!!!!

and a video of wireless transmission on 1AA

YouTube - Wireless transmission on 1AA and xenon on 12V
              Last edited by seth; 10-03-2010, 05:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by xee2 View Post
                @ Seth

sadly it didnt seem to make much difference.

The best way to light the big CFL for me was to put it inside the 2 coils, as you see in my second vid - 1AA battery, wireless, and fully bright (well...perhaps not fully fully...but fully enough to make me happy )

Comment

• @Seth, it was always a dream of mine to have little floros lit from an AA also.
                  its actually quite easy to do it with the JT. the easiest way is to modify a flash camera circuit, like a cheap disposable one.
                  just remove the bulb, cap, led, and the anode end of the diode.
                  run a lead from the diode cathode and thats your HV wire. the ground can be led from different places on the circuit, just test to see which works the best.
                  heres a short vid i made of the same circuit running alot brighter from 3.6 phone batteries, but the AA will work, and a D works even better since it has more capacitance.
                  YouTube - Super Bright Fluorescent Joule Thief

i also have had the same circuit running 70 3v LED christmas lights for almost 48 hours straight now from the same D battery.

the SEC can do this as well as its a great circuit, but if your looking for a portable low input floro ballast the disposable camera JT is the best IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Magneticitist View Post
                    @Seth, it was always a dream of mine to have little floros lit from an AA also.
                    its actually quite easy to do it with the JT. the easiest way is to modify a flash camera circuit, like a cheap disposable one.
                    just remove the bulb, cap, led, and the anode end of the diode.
                    run a lead from the diode cathode and thats your HV wire. the ground can be led from different places on the circuit, just test to see which works the best.
                    heres a short vid i made of the same circuit running alot brighter from 3.6 phone batteries, but the AA will work, and a D works even better since it has more capacitance.
                    YouTube - Super Bright Fluorescent Joule Thief

i also have had the same circuit running 70 3v LED christmas lights for almost 48 hours straight now from the same D battery.

the SEC can do this as well as its a great circuit, but if your looking for a portable low input floro ballast the disposable camera JT is the best IMO.
                    Great vid!!!

Ive seen an old insructable on how to do this and tried to copy but failed...i think i may well have another go. You get thpse flourescents ever so bright.

The reason i love this sec is that its so flexible (like the JT i spose!). Ive seen a few vids now with people using smaller inductors, so this could be scaled down.

Ive never been able to light that Xenon...ive had it about 3 years. Not even my T.Coil will light it, with a 6500V 25ma NST. Why cant i light it with a powerful tesla coil, yet i can with a 12V/6V battery and SEC??

any ideas? I aint got a scooby.

Comment

• yupii

hello seth,

congratulation brother, looks good!!!

have you tryed the primary in only half space of the coil? i think you will get better results, the diode that laurent used also improves plasma... how much resistance is your big coil?

hugs

Light, I Am!

You are Not a Body that has a Spirit, You are a Spirit that Has a Body! There is no Path to Peace, Peace is the Path!

Comment

• Originally posted by TanTric View Post
                        hello seth,

congratulation brother, looks good!!!

have you tryed the primary in only half space of the coil? i think you will get better results, the diode that laurent used also improves plasma... how much resistance is your big coil?

hugs

Ahhhh. I see. Have you found that it works better when the primary turns only cover half the secondary?? In my one they cover the whole length of the secondary.....i will try with just half the space covered....ill also try some different number of turns.

Which diode does Laurent use? Where exactly? Between the base and negative rail?

How do i calculate the resistance of my big coil? (im still a beginner )

Thanks guys....

Got a neon working off a copper/magnesium battery which i made.......only for a few seconds though. Need more metal and amps!

Comment

• wrapping my 4 turns round only the middle, instead of the whole length of secondary, gave much poorer results on 1AA The big CFL lit, but only slightly.

The whole length seems to be the way for me.

Comment

• some data.

0.1 A @ 1.5 V and i get the big CFL to light (0.15W input) wirelessly.

0.68 A @ 6 V and i can fully light my 6W xenon tube as well as some CFLs wirlessly (4W input)

any suggestions for improvements are welcome!

i'll be able to do more when i get those IN4148 diodes and make an avramenko plug.

Comment

• @Seth.Hi and welcomeThere are a few things you can try.I would experiment with a loose wound lidmotor style L2 with plastic straw spacers.Check his vid out i think he called it "plasma at last" if you don't no what I mean.
                              Also try a 1.5v emergency phone charger.You will be amazed by the performance and it is still using a 1.5v AA battery and once you get your 4148 diodes you can be charging batterys to replace the one your using.Slayer has posted some good vids about charging.
                              You can also experiment with reciever towers,mine lights a xenon tube wirelessly and the AV plugs are a must so plenty of things to try.
                              The beauty of slayers simple circuit is the tuneability.Its like owning a custom car,there is always something you can do to make it better and there in lies the fun Happy experimenting.Jonny
                              @Magneticitist.Hi.Its great to see you made it over here and i look forward to see your experiments and hear your ideas.Welcome to the team.Jonny

Comment

you dont have a digital multimeter? it should have option to measure resistance in ohms value!

the diode, from emiter to base! on npn config!!

hugs

Originally posted by seth View Post
                                Ahhhh. I see. Have you found that it works better when the primary turns only cover half the secondary?? In my one they cover the whole length of the secondary.....i will try with just half the space covered....ill also try some different number of turns.

Which diode does Laurent use? Where exactly? Between the base and negative rail?

How do i calculate the resistance of my big coil? (im still a beginner )

Thanks guys....

Got a neon working off a copper/magnesium battery which i made.......only for a few seconds though. Need more metal and amps!
                                Light, I Am!

You are Not a Body that has a Spirit, You are a Spirit that Has a Body! There is no Path to Peace, Peace is the Path!

Comment

Working...
                                X