Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• much thanks Zilano

Originally posted by zilano
    Mr. Kurt. aliased mr. clean aliased kdkinen is on the right track. i advice people to follow him. He is a perfect gentleman.

kdkinen's Channel - YouTube

rgds
    zzzz
    I Very much appreciate those words and the advice you continue to give.
    Although i still do not understand all of what you say, im more than willing to accept your tips.
    I am waiting for a couple components and looking forward to trying your newly released schematic, the connections all make sense to me

Thank you for mentioning the important part of the load not affecting the primary, and not counting chicks before they hatch, i need to get the last half of the Smith built before concluding anything
    In the beginner's mind, there are many possibilities.
    In the expert's mind there are few.
    -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

• Originally posted by soundiceuk View Post
      I've got a 600watt high pressure sodium bulb to donate to kdkinen for a spark gap if you would like to try?

you're too kind. ive never heard of that. You've tried it?
      -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

• I've been using it for an Imhoteps Radiant Oscillator replication. Which led me into testing many different bulbs connected in series with an open circuit. The more bulbs I added, the bigger the spark was when I tried to close the circuit. These were the bulbs that made the most difference when added.

The sparks using the 600w HPS bulbs were very similar to Woopy's latest sparks.

It appears to amplify current and voltage and there is a big thick yellow/orange bolt of lightning inside the bulb constantly jumping around violently.

It seems the higher the resistance of the gas the more amplification is given by the bulb.

I believe Tesla used bulbs for fine tuning his circuits. That is what I might recommend you try with the bulb

Here is a challange for you

I'll send you a 600w ballast to disect and a 600w HPS bulb. See if you can power the bulb to full brightness using less than less than 100w with a scalar wave.

Are you in need of any capacitors I could/we could donate some parts to perpetuate things forward?

If you can fire that bulb up using hardly any power I can guarantee this project a wealth of income to perpetuate it forward.

Heres the other spin on things! The bulb no longer works using conventional wall electricity, the ballast is fine. The bulb however will not be running on 240volts at 50hz and instead HF/HV.

Surely this will be yet another demonstration to show how big business does not serve the best interests of the people.

Last edited by soundiceuk; 01-08-2012, 11:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Peculian View Post
          Well.so far of what I`ve read Tesla`s writings, works & researches
          that is not a good idea.aka your or others proposal
          to substitute spark gap with an IGBT device or DRSSTC.
          Tesla states that he for himself disliked the changes other researchers of his
          time made to his plans & schematics.an example of them was Marconi
          who put some fancy modifications in place of a spark gap.
          I am sure Tesla knew very well what he was talking about.
          Anyway. I wish to everyone here Only Success
          as that is what we all are looking for
          cheers !
          Marconi didn't do it better.

Look at the sparks from a DRSSTC and compare them to SGTC first.

Tesla would of had an absolute field day in todays world of semiconductors!!!

HPS bulbs were not around then either, it still is a spark gap, thats my point. It behaves like a vacuum tube.
          Last edited by soundiceuk; 01-08-2012, 11:37 PM.

Comment

• Interesting.

Originally posted by bbem View Post
            @Joefr
            This driver circuit looks similar:
            2n3055 flyback driver | Kaizer Power Electronics

"The frequency of operation in this circuit is determined by the capacitor across the transistors emitter and collector, experiment with the value of this capacitor to find the best performance, this capacitor have to be a good film or foil type (MKP/MKT)"
            OK. Willing to try that. This is gonna be tough to tune precisely, though. When using the scope to find the resonance point on the coils, it seemed like i needed to be within a few hundred Hz of 34khz. That's where my coils came out.

So the driver would need to be right there too.

Wish there was an easy way to drive the flyback with feedback from the primary, but haven't had much luck with this.

I thought I could just add a low-cut filter @20-30khz to the timing coil and it would just "see" the primary. I assumed the flyback wouldn't ring faster. Most flybacks are rated for operation in this range, so maybe I just don't know how this works. :-)

Comment

• Good Explanation

Originally posted by zilano
              first try to understand the things as below

1. a high frequency module like flyback driven by 2n3055 basically produces hf ac but internal diodes make it pulsing dc say for example 25khz

2. this 25khz frequency is a pulse dc which is fed to the primary coil with capacitor which changes frequency to say 80-100khz or in mhz so there is a frequency change in coil circuit.
              3. if u use nst then u have to use diodes to make it pulse dc the frequency depends on the make of nst(if solid state its in khz) if using nst operated on 50/60 hz then input pulse dc will be in 50/60 hz range.
              4. its better to use 12 v nst solid state so u have high hf pulsed dc after attaching diodes.
              5. flyback has inbuilt diodes so it provides hf pulsed dc at the hv termial.
              6. the domestic ac based nst the bigger fat ones have frequency 50/60 hz
              and need input from 120/230 volts ac.
              7. when we feed pulsed dc to primary the coil oscillates not according to the frequency of the nst but according to the L and c of the combination.
              the input frequency is just to provide pulsed dc so coil can oscillate on it own frequency. so there is a change in frequency u have in nst and in the coil.
              8.all nst have two terminals and they provide alternate+ and - if one termial is positive other is negative. so we use two diodes to feed primary with pulsed dc.
              9. secondary is made to resonate at primary frequency.

rgds

zzzz

Thanks Z. Good explanation. I see. I added a low-cut filter to the trigger coil. Cutting out everything below 1khz helps stabilize the wave, but cutting 10khz or higher kills the flyback. I don't know what I was thinking. To make it ring faster, got to tune the power coil and the feedback coil will keep up.

Comment

• Lots to learn...

Originally posted by joefr View Post
                Hi Zilano thanks for explanation

I am looking for a way to build high voltage 4000 - 6000 volts 30 - 40Khz power supply, driven from a 12V battery which is suitable and which I can use to replicate Don Smith - Zilano device.

I dont want to use flyback transformers or made NST.

I want to make my own HV source so that I am not dependent on purchased transformers.

I am looking for help how to calculate secondary coil, how many turns of wire, what size of the PVC tube on which is secondary HV coil wound. How to calculate HV secondary coil properties so it will oscillate between 30 - 40Khz.

Best Regards

JoeFR
                I used to think this way too. There is a lot to learn here. Take as many shortcuts as you can until you understand. Buy, if you can. Otherwise, build.

Comment

• Originally posted by zilano
                  My dear Kurt!
                  all i meant is that if u follow don cw cw split coils then centre of secondary is negative and each end of secondary is positive.

where as in ur last setup the way coils r wound they have + in centre tap and - at each end.

for verification.

use copper wire of an old 12 v ac 500 ma trafo extract coil. take any ferrite rod of an old transistor radio. wound primary thicker ten turns at the centre of ferrite rod. cover it with insulation tape. above that wound 30 turns each leg( same as u have done in ur last video) as secondary. take a 6 volt battery and connect both terminals to primary of the coil in series with a push to on switch. connect led + to centre tap of secondary and negative of led to either end of secondary. press push to on switch the led will light. now do same with centre tap and other end of secondary. push the switch the led will light. this shows the centre is positive and ends negative. now reverse polarity of primary swap + and - of battery and do the same for each leg. the led will light confirming that centre is + and ends still negative but led will light intermittantly so u have to press switch alternately and a little faster. coz the current generated in secondary is due to back emf. and it acts as inductive kick. but led will light. now join both ends that is negative terminals and attach led with centre+ and joined ends - and press switch alternately and u will see led will glow and reverse polarity of primary and keep pressing switch alternately. u will see led glow has no change it will glow and polarity of primary has no effect on polarity of secondary. led will glow proving that there is no change in polarity when u change polarity of primary.

since at resonance the ac hf is up n down the up portion is positive cycle and down portion is negative cycle. both will generate output. thats a dual advantage.

rgds

zelina

holy crap thats cool, ok, im gonna reverse my fast recovery diode bridges when i get home n see if it "brightens" things up thanks !

that may explain why im having issues with charging SIMPLE output caps??
                  (diodes i have hooked as pos...is actually neg ? )

In vid 15... (its now explained), i WAS using the infamous cw/cw, and DID charge caps... although... the Mot diodes would very quickly heat up, and pos i was taking from outers, and worked with the cw/cw. (thanks, i think i get it now)
                  Looks more all the time that there was method to Dons madness

I trust your explanation with the Leds, that would make polarity finding easy, i'll try that
                  Last edited by mr.clean; 01-09-2012, 04:29 PM.
                  -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

• nice and clean work

Originally posted by joefr View Post
                    Hi Zilano

Can you please help me with custom made high voltage NST which I made today per instructions in PJK book. I wound 4000 turns of 0.315mm diameter wire on 50mm diameter and 140mm length PVC tube. I then wound 8 turns primary with 1mm diameter stranded wire and 4 turns for feedback.

The problem is that I cant get higher frequency than 9.8Khz. If I put ferrite rods inside PVC tube the frequency drops to 3.5Khz. I have to use 27ohm resistor instead of 220 ohm resistor to get better output.
                    I put different capacitors parallel to 8 turn primary but frequency does not change.

Do you have any suggestion what to do, to get 35Khz HV frequency ?

Here is the picture of my setup, scope shot and circuit used:

JoeFR
                    I like your setup,
                    it may be your transformer, i have built that single transistor solid state circuit as well and it was running right around 28khz, one resistor for Duty cycle, and the other for freq, so the circuit should be fine, but the transformer idk.

i didnt stick with it cause i had trouble controling current draw, and i was looking for a finer square wave to drive the base of the npn

Heres the schematic i used, which i will do another vid of soon to show complete...

RMCybernetics - DIY Homemade Ignition Coil Driver
                    -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

you can use any 6v electric bell in series as interuptor(acting as repetitive switch) or can use 6 volt spst/spdt relay in series to automate tapping of switch) so pulsed dc is fed to primary for finding polarity. its quite cumbersome to tap switch manually. so automate switching.

rgds

zzzz
                      Ok sweet, i'll do that
                      -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

• Hi Mr.Clean

I already ordered solid state high voltage 12Volt powered power supply.

You can try this mosfet kacher circuit but you put signal generator on input instead of the bottom wire of tesla coil secondary

I tried it with my HV transformer and it was oscillating at 9.8Khz.
                        I then for test put signal generator on input and between 9.6 and 9.8Khz I get most output on secondary HV coil.

JoeFR
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by joefr View Post
                          Hi Mr.Clean

I already ordered solid state high voltage 12Volt powered power supply.

You can try this mosfet kacher circuit but you put signal generator on input instead of the bottom wire of tesla coil secondary

I tried it with my HV transformer and it was oscillating at 9.8Khz.
                          I then for test put signal generator on input and between 9.6 and 9.8Khz I get most output on secondary HV coil.

JoeFR
                          can you measure inductance of primary ? I would like to compute how is that related to resonant frequency on primary side ? please also provide exact capacitance of capacitors connected to primary

Comment

suppose u have primary 5ft and secondary 20 ft and u need 1 feet for connections. then u have 3 feet primary and 18 feet secondary that needs to be wounded. if u have say 5 turns and u r inputting 4kv
                            so each turn of primary will have 4000/5=800 volts and each of this 800volt will induce into secondary in its each turn. if u have 20 turns in secondary then 20x800v=16000volts in secondary that is 16kv in secondary. if u use split coiling then they have 8kv each tap from centre to top and from centre to bottom. across top and bottom tap u have 16kv

read dons document. and learn more.

rgds
                            zzzz

When you're saying 1 feet for connections all connections or from last component to coil example in primary coil from last HV diode?
                            Regarding capacitors what capacitors should be used to primary as in my case using a ZVS driver to monitor flyback?
                            Thanks
                            Last edited by Guruji; 01-09-2012, 08:55 PM.

Comment

• Hi Boguslaw

can you measure inductance of primary ? I would like to compute how is that related to resonant frequency on primary side ? please also provide exact capacitance of capacitors connected to primary

In case of 2N3055 driver I did not use any capacitors parallel to primary because it not make any difference in coil frequency. I tried a lot of different but frequency did not change.

In case of mosfet driver driven with signal generator there are two 10nF capacitors in parallel to primary coil.

Here is the scope shot and picture of inductance of primary and secondary coil:

Scope HV Signal Generator Mosfet Kacher Circuit

Inductance Primary 8 turns 1.12mm diameter stranded wire

Inductance Secondary 4000turns 0.315mm diameter wire

JoeFR
                              Last edited by joefr; 01-09-2012, 10:08 PM.

Comment

• great stuff

Originally posted by woopy View Post
                                hi all

just an idea to get high voltage very simply

thanks to young french guys ( at incroyables experiences ) modified circuitery

hope this can help

good luck at all

Laurent

High voltage very simple generator 1 .wmv - YouTube

Man you make some good videos, thanks for your sharing
                                -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

Working...
                                X