No announcement yet.

Trying to decode Tesla's converters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am also not sure of the frequency to try, I will probably try as many as possible anyway. But I believe somewhere in his video's he states that his device is working at only 6 hz, but in other video's he makes a note of it being 5000 hz that he is using on 60 hz devices. Now I cant seem to find where he said 6 hz, but I'm sure I heard it somewhere. I am thinking that no 2 of his devices were made the exact same. It's also possible that maybe he is using both. Maybe he is pulsing it with 6 hz, and the device through a chain reaction ends up oscillating at 5000 hz?

I dont know, my fingers are sore from winding this device so I'm taking a break and brainstorming, lol. It's gonna take me a long time to get this all the way wound with so little time. I'm thinking I will make each primary 50 turns, and secondary 2000. There really doesn't appear to be to much info out there, so I guess that's what I will try. I post some pictures of my work when I get a little further. I dont expect to end up with anything more than a really cool transformer, but the hands on is always good. And who knows, maybe one of these I'll screw up and make it right, lol.

Comment

SM said that TPU output is basically DC with a small 5khz "hash"
      Now,how it looks like ?
      I believe this device is holding resonance and once a while it has to re-sweep resonance point or simple balance around resonance to avoid overload.Do you agree ?

Comment

Anything is possible. I dont pretend to totally understand it. Does anyone else remember him saying anything about 6hz or close to it, or may I be mistaken or something. I think I will watch the video's again while I'm winding, maybe I can find it again. I guess the main thing is for me to make the circuitry so it can sweep all the way from 1 hz up to 10k hz I guess. I just wish I had an oscope to use when I finally get it wound. Maybe I'll get lucky and find access somewhere.

I have also heard many people referring to SM's build as possibly being a tank circuit. I just don't have experience to really know what they mean, there are so many things to learn, and playing with tank circuits I just haven't had the chance to do yet.

Comment

Well,good luck. I would rather understand fully device before replicating. Don't get me wrong but I spent too much time and too much money trying to replicate Stanley Meyer WFC.
          I wish I could reverse time to stop spending money on it but rather on digging into scientific riddles. I bet here is the solution for all FE devices...

Comment

Here's how it looks so far.

Just thought I would post a quick photo to show what I've got so far. I have a long way to go still, and only 3 layers and 750 turns on one section is done so far. I am taking the time to wind every layer from left to right. When each layer is done, I am pulling the wire straight across to the left side again to start winding the next layer. Each layer is also insulated. The core is actually 16 guage, I believe it to be galvanized, I'm not sure. I was unable to find any iron wire locally, so I chose an all purpose insulated solid wire, mostly used for clothes lines I believe. It has 7 turns and is connected back into itself. When all the primary and secondary turns are complete, I will encase the whole coil in the same core material wire again, as suggested in the patent. It is at least a good learning experience!

Last edited by captainpecan; 08-11-2009, 09:07 PM.

Comment

I agree, I would love to have all the answers before I build. It does get expensive to keep doing it wrong. Unfortunately, I'm not sure anyone has all the answers, so hopefully I will at least gain some important experience.

Comment

I found where he says the frequency is so low. At about 32:30 into the video of that link you posted, he specifically says "it only runs at 7.3 cycles per second". Minutes earlier, he states that when you place the magnet on it, it speeds up, remove the magnet and it takes a while to wind down, similar to a jet turbine. Remembering elsewhere he says his device works by "giving it a kick". Putting those things together makes it still sound like he is using the rotating magnetic field described with the tesla coverter. Picture a marry-go-round on a playground. It takes a bit to spin it up, but each time you give it a little push, it takes less of a push to make it go even faster. It is basically carrying the kinetic energy of the spin, and you just add to what is already there each time. I think what Steven Marks is describing the same concept. He is spinning a magnetic field, and he is giving it a little kick each time it passes. This would tie directly into Tesla's work of resonance, and even when Mythbusters was trying to debunk Tesla's resonance projects. They placed a hydrolic hammer (I think, it's been a while since I saw it) on a metal bridge, and with very small taps, they consistently added energy to the waves of vibration. When they began to hit resonance, even mythbusters were surprised at how strong it became with so very little energy applied!

I think we are dealing with the same thing here. Everyone keeps thinking it is resonance related, I have to say, I think I agree with them. It makes perfect sense.

Comment

For anyone interested in seeing the Mythbusters episode on Tesla and resonance, check out these three links. Mythbusters actually did pretty good on this one. It even states that Tesla was using this for his generator work.

Tesla's Earthquake Machine:
                  Part 1: YouTube - Mythbusters - Tesla's Earthquake Machine Part 1
                  Part 2: YouTube - Mythbusters - Tesla's Earthquake Machine Part 2
                  Part 3: YouTube - Mythbusters - Tesla's Earthquake Machine Part 3

Please note, part 3 is really about the only one they see results in. Also note, their final device, was not capable of adjusting itself to the frequency it needed. The adjustments were done manually, which is why they did not get complete results, but they sure did get a surprise! Done properly, and actually building THE CORRECT MACHINE in the patent, instead of being lazy and making due with what lies around, they would have had EXTREME RESULTS!

Now picture this going on in a coil... In my opinion, this is really is the key.
                  Last edited by captainpecan; 08-12-2009, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Getting closer!

I've got the converter done now, now the work begins!

I'm open for suggestions on tests to run on it now. Hopefully I will get some extra time in a few days to get some results, and at least see how efficient of a transformer it is. I plan on also setting a rotor on the inside of it, and continuing studying one of Tesla's later patents that shows the most efficient COP stamped on it.

Comment

CAP,

nice work there on the winding, ive been looking at this patent myself for the last few days and wondering "if this is just a transformer....then why bother to go to all those complicated lengths?...Q.E.D -> its more than just a transformer...

he makes an interesting statement....from line 120..

"Besides the currents generated in the secondary coils by dynamo-magnetic induction, other currents will be set up in the same coils in consequence of any variations in the intensity of the poles in the ring A.

"other" currents?

the windings themselves look fairly straightforwards, the only thing holding me back from having a go at building it myself is the ghenerator part shown below the toroid in FIG-3... i have no idea what the commutator does there and no idea how to replicate that part using solid state etc... if you have an idea for this...then i might give it a go.

David. D

Comment

I agree, it appears that he was trying to hint towards more than just a transformer. I also find the last paragraph of the patent interesting. I am not sure what he is saying, but it appears to me that he is leading towards saying the rotating magnetic field built up in the converter, will induce more current in any other coils within it's vicinity, without degrading the performance of the transformer???

As far as his drawing of the generator, I believe it is just a representation of any device that can induce a 2 phase AC current into the converter. Before 1900, there really wasn't many options to do this, but now there are quite a few, without building a generator. Not to mention, later in Tesla's work, he appeared to be much more interested in pulses of DC than AC anyway. These patents were before his big interest in DC pulses, and during the fight to win the AC DC war. I am thinking of using a simple sort of flip flop circuit to send pulses into it, but I'm not sure what I will do either. I will be encasing the whole coil in more of the same material as the core, but I want to do some good tests first so I can see how much it helps or henders later.

Studying many of his patents, he uses this concept many times. Most leading up patent number 390721, which is stamped "BEST AVAILABLE COP". He uses the same rotating field concept, in both his motors, and his transformers. I think it may be beneficial to combine the two. Get motion in a rotor from the fields, while using it as a transformer.

Comment

I also find it important to note, that Tesla really liked to make mechanical versions of most of his electrical idea's. It has been said that his "Earthquake Machine" was his version of a mechanical test of a concept for a generator. I can't seem to find much info in reference to what generator he was talking about, but it is possible that whatever that generator was, was based on this rotating field in the core concept.

Comment

Hello all,

In his last post at OU.com Steven Mark finally said how his TPUs are working:

the most energy to say so, TPUs are getting from outside. Thought so.

This was the reason why he said to use vacuum tubes! A 5U4 rectifier tube has soooo a big anode and is sucking sooooo much from outside....

I dont know if Tesla knew this but if somebody has made a coil or sets of coils then please check the 245kHz frequency. Its a fantastic frequency!

Just look if you can see on your scope some vibrations. If yes, then your job is almost done.

Otto

Comment

CAP,

i agree that pulsed DC is probbaly the best place to start with a flip-flop circuit ( 4013 chip is it? )...and then if that shows no promise then perhaps have a crack at AC....just one thing to try....more out of pure curiosity than any real chance of working..would be to get it up and running.......and place permanent NEO mags in & around the core....just to see if they have any effect........ya never know...

who knows.......maybe a spinning bedini rotor in ther vicinity of the core might "trigger" some effect.....or perhaps the no-bearing 1 magnet bedini with its extended magnetic flux field as demo'ed by lidmotor & others...might be worth a try...something along the lines of....use a tac / freq-meter to find the frequency of the bedini magnets going past.....then set your pulser to a harmonic of that frequency......that sort of thing.

Comment

Once upon a time I built a circuit , one of the most simplest drivers of car ignition coil.I wanted to use it for plasma bulb experiment, but something happened - I accidentally found the resonance around 200hz and my broken filament bulb was placed on large metallic tabletop. The spark gap inside bulb become a source of intense electrostatic-like field around which flowed on all surface of conductors.
                                I really don';t know what it was but it resembled much of Tesla first experiments with disruptive discharge.
                                So it seems that Tesla was right - we need rather low frequency with circuits of large self-inductance to see any effects - in other way all energy is lost by Hertz-like waves

Comment

Working...
                                X