No announcement yet.

Fuel from old tires, it works!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is my suggestion: File a patent application and ask your patent examinar if he is happy with your "invention".

Take no offense. I have seen this stupid thing in Afghanistan. I just found it hard to tolerate the smell.

Comment

About woodgas generators

Maybe this is interesting to know, too. During WW-II, lots of cars and trucks in continental Europe were running on woodgas, using gas generators produced by local mechanics.

The FEMA published a manual about how to construct these things:
      http://www.webpal.org/webpal/b_recov..._generator.pdf
      http://www.global-greenhouse-warming..._generator.pdf

An OCR'ed version can be found at:
      The Gengas Page

The Gengas Page
      "Fuel gas, produced by the reduction of coal and peat, was used for heating as early as 1840 in Europe and by 1884 had been adapted to fuel engines in England. Prior to 1940, gas generator units were a familiar, but not extensively utilized, technology. However, petroleum shortages during World War II led to widespread gas generator applications in the transportation industries of Western Europe. (Charcoal burning taxis, a related application, were still common in Korea as late as 1970.) The United States, never faced with such prolonged or severe oil shortages, has lagged far behind Europe and the Orient in familiarity with and application of this technology. However, a catastrophic event could disrupt the supply of petroleum in this country so severely that this technology might be critical in meeting the energy needs of some essential economic activities, such as the production and distribution of food.

In occupied Denmark during World War II, 95% of all mobile farm machinery, tractors, trucks, stationary engines, and fishing and ferry boats were powered by wood gas generator units. Even in neutral Sweden, 40% of all motor traffic operated on gas derived from wood or charcoal. All over Europe, Asia, and Australia, millions of gas generators were in operation between 1940f and 1946. Because of the wood gasifier's health risks from toxic fumes, most of such units were abandoned when il again became available in 1945. Except for the technology of producing alternate fuels, such as methane or alcohol, the only solution for operating existing internal combustion engines, when oil and petroleum products are not available, has been theese simple, inexpensive gasifiers units.

This report attempts to preserve the knowledge about wood gasification that was put into practical use during World War II. In this report, detailed step-by-step procedures are presented for constructing a simplified version of the WWII wood gas generator; this simple, stratified, downdraft gasifier unit (shown schematically in Fig. S-1) can be constructed from materials which would be widely available in the United States in a prolonged petroleum crisis. For example, the body of the unit consists of a galvanized metal garbage can atop a small metal drum; common plumbing fittings are used throughout; and a large, stainless steel mixing bowl is used for the grate. A prototype gasifier unit was fabricated from these instructions (see Fig. S-2); this unit was then mounted onto the front of a farm tractor and successfully field tested, using wood chips as the only fuel (see Fig. S-3). Photographic documentation of the actual assembly of the unit, as well as its operational field test, is included in the body of this report.

The use wood gas generators need not be limited to transportation applications. Stationary engines can also be fueled by wood gasifiers to run electric generators, pumps, and industrial equipment. In fact, the use of wood gas as a fuel is not even restricted to gasoline engines; if a small amount of diesel fuel is used for ignition, a properly adjusted diesel engine can be operated primarily on wood gas introduced through the intake manifold."

From Woodgas for alternative energy - biomass hydrogen syngas fuel :

The World Bank commissioned the writing of the technical paper 296. It has a lot of information on woodgas.:
      http://www.woodgas.net/files/World%2...aper%20296.pdf

The United Nations Food and Agriculture Department produced the FOA 72 document. It is considered one of the better sources of woodgas information.
      http://www.woodgas.net/files/FOA%2072.pdf

Also see:
      Wood gas generator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      Wood gas generator construction details
      Gasifier Experimenters Kit

Comment

Am going to try the solar parabolic dish to HEAT and then run the oil in the GEET lawn mower in 2 weeks will post when done.

Ash

Comment

Sorry for the mess with my pictures. All my pictures related to pyrolysis can now be found here:
          Jeti stuff: Jeti stuff » Degviela no riepÄm
          It's better to wear off by working than to rust by doing nothing.

Comment

Similar, a Dutch university found a process which turns bio waste (like wood chips) into crude oil. It's so much like crude oil, that it "requires" regular refineries to turn it into petrol, diesel, etc. Sure this "green" fuel will be loved by the big money makers. I wonder why we don't make steam engines to run on such fuel sources directly, seems like a system that's proven to work :-)
            Some more research to GEETs running on crude oil might add to this discovery, and then scratch the raison d'etre of the world's refineries.

Comment

Originally posted by Cloxxki View Post
              Similar, a Dutch university found a process which turns bio waste (like wood chips) into crude oil. It's so much like crude oil, that it "requires" regular refineries to turn it into petrol, diesel, etc. Sure this "green" fuel will be loved by the big money makers. I wonder why we don't make steam engines to run on such fuel sources directly, seems like a system that's proven to work :-)
              Some more research to GEETs running on crude oil might add to this discovery, and then scratch the raison d'etre of the world's refineries.
              In India rice millers r running there mill on old steam engines, fuel to these engines is rice husk.

Comment

Originally posted by Cloxxki View Post
                Do you know what the process entails to turn the bio waste to oil?

Any links?

. . .
                Regular service Signature:
                Follow along on my Algae growing adventure, where I'm currently growing Spirulina and two mystery strains (one of which can also produce Biofuel). All is revealed in the Growing Algae thread...

Comment

Did some work on recyclying tyres into useable oils and carbon black 4 years ago or so.

If all you do is boil several things will happen. Firstly, you will not get all the usable oils as some of the heavier hydrocarbon chains (H24+) required high temps. Second, you will get a large amount of very noixious gases. A bubbler is not enough and they should be properly burned at high temp: also you will annoy a lot of neighbours with the smell. Oh, and its dangerous with very explosive gases !!

Full pyroloysis should yield approx 40% of the mass as usable oils but with a range of hydrocarbon chains up to 40+. Definitely not something for your car. The boiling approach will get the lighter gasoline/diesel fractions which may be suitable but not for long term use. Also, some of the substances are corrosive and have a significant impact on machinery durability making extraction on a commercial basis expensive.

Lots of other stuff - the energy needed is pretty high and in most instances higher than that you get back. There is the environmental impact of disposal of the left-overs (which can be pretty toxic).

The argument of re-use in tyres is discounted as no tyre manufacturere will touch the stuff as they cannot guarantee the quality of the material. Only low grade (farm type) is suitable

Interesting from an exprimental point of view but impractical for commercial use, but all in all, not a suitable alternate energy path at present.

Comment

your homemade oil machine

Are you still using it and if so how is it going. I'm intersted in making one myself but I'm not sure of temperatures and such. Also I can't seem to see the pictures you have posted. Do you still have them? I'm very interested in this system. Thanks

Comment

gas smell problem solution?

As I know that the extra gases which are not used in burning are vent off. These gases smell like LPG or something poisonous.
                      I want the solution to get rid of it.
                      I have thought that extra gases should be burnt in a chamber and then the smoke (maybe some gases left unburnt) passed through a long stack so that no pollution is their.
                      After burning will their be any smell of these gases?

Any other solution to get rid of these extra gases?

Comment

Lots of the elements that break down from Tyres are very nasty - corrossive, toxic, long lasting. Best way to eliminate is with a high temperature burner. The experimental rig I worked on had a burner fed by LPG.. can't remember the temperature needed but 700C + rings a bell.

As I said before, its not a viable fuel source - lots of experimental work been done over a few years .. it is too costly for the gain back

Originally posted by sjtalk9 View Post
                        As I know that the extra gases which are not used in burning are vent off. These gases smell like LPG or something poisonous.
                        I want the solution to get rid of it.
                        I have thought that extra gases should be burnt in a chamber and then the smoke (maybe some gases left unburnt) passed through a long stack so that no pollution is their.
                        After burning will their be any smell of these gases?

Any other solution to get rid of these extra gases?

Comment

Emissions control

While at BCIT in chem sci, my class did, in part, work and research on emissions for a sponsor. In the end, the process did end up in pulp mills around BC, and while, I, myself, only worked on a portion of the system (20 years ago) - I do understand the basics.

If you take a smoke stack, and the resulting "smog" and you subject it to a tower of (for now, let's call them ping pong balls, or foosballs for example... that continuously showered in a medium (10%) strength H2SO4 wash (fed by a turnstile up top, not unlike the turnstile in a dishwasher, the shower will scrub the particulate matter from the emissions. Then the H2S04 goes though a series of filters. The resultant solids are removed on a schedule and incinerated with hydrogen or HHO gas, or disposed of / contained.

Just a possible addition to this J.
                          ----------------------------------------------------
                          Alberta is under attack... http://rethinkalberta.com/

Has anyone seen my Bedini Ceiling Fan that pushes the warm air down, and charges batteries as an added bonus? Me neither. 'Bout time I made one!!!!! :P

Comment

Originally posted by Jetijs View Post
                            Hi all.
                            Have a look at these videos:
                            YouTube - Tyre Recycling into Fuel and Oil

It is obvious that old tires are a big problem and you can't just throw them away or burn them. So why not turn them into fuel. The process is very simple. You need a big metal barrel where you can put in the tires or any other rubber. You just heat the barrel so that the rubber starts to melt and boil. All the exhaust from the barrel needs to go through a cooled radiator. The exhaust gasses will condensate into liquid and gas. On the other end of the radiator you need a smaller tank where the liquid and gas is separated. The gas can be burned for heating and in theory there is more than enough gas to sustain the big barrel heating process by its own, even with some extra gas that you can use for other purposes. So I decided to give it a try since I have a huge pile of old tires. My brother and I made a simple and cheap system all out of junk parts. It did not cost us nothing, just our time. The main barrel is an old 100L boiler. We cut away all the parts that were not needed and welded shut all the holes that we did not need. We made a lid for the barrel so that it can be opened for filling. We used an old steel radiator for the condenser, we just welded a box around it and filled the radiator space with cold water for better cooling. Here is how it looked like:

very simple and low-tec
                            The radiator:

The process begins:

The flammable gas went through a bubbler and into a metal pipe with a mesh on the end.

The process goes on until no gas comes out anymore, then it is time to empty the liquid/gas separator and you get a very bad smelling, muddy liquid that looks like dirty water with algae in it. When filtered from the solids, it looks like this:

It appears like oil, but it is in fact not thick at all, it's density is much like gasoline or diesel and it burns very well. A friend who also made such a test a while ago, said that he ran his moped with this stuff - pure, not mixed with anything and it ran better than with gasoline. The other thing that is left from the process is charcoal:

It is dry and light. It does not burn and does not smell. The gas smells like hell, something like propane, diesel and rubber, but if you burn it, it does not smell bad anymore. There are some black smoke coming from the flame, but this is because the gas does not burn fully, at least with our simple setup. If you wave your hand through the flame, some of the gas sticks to the hand and burns for a while on your hand. Of course all this should be done properly, because the gas is toxic and even when burned, the smoke is also not good to your health. My results are very good, the process works well. Our setup is crude and inefficient, but this was so just for the first test and I learned a lot. We need to change much, but anyway, the results are pretty good. In theory if you recycle 100kg of rubber, you get about 33L of fuel and VERY MUCH gas. Will modify the big barrel for more efficient performance and safety. Then I will try to run some engines with this stuff
                            Hope you enjoyed reading.
                            Thank you!
                            Jetijs
                            Hi Jetjis. I want to know if a compressor tank is suitable as a pyrolysis reactor for tires, in label of the tank says max psi 130. If it is not suitable what type of tank do you suggest me, also how do you clean black oil from tire pyrolysis?

Comment

Working...
                            X