Use for the Tesla Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Holtage,

An inverter needs DC as the input power. Since we are switching power back and forth the inverter would see that as AC power and the inverter would not work and would probably even be destroyed if it didn't have polarity protection built in.

And an inverter is an inductive load as it switches the DC power into AC power it does act more as an inductive load than a resistive load.

You will run into all kinds of problems if you try to switch the transistors directly from the output of a 555 timer chip. You can use the timer chip to switch the opto-isolators. The opto-isolators do not make the circuit more tedious. They actually make the circuit much easier to control and less complicated than without them.

The problem with using the output of the 555 directly is that for a NPN transistor to turn on, the base must be made more positive than the emitter. Since the transistors in the Tesla Switch are all over the place there is no way to control them directly that will make each different base positive in relation to that transistor's emitter. I hope that makes sense.

You should also be aware that the circuit you are looking at was developed over several months of effort mostly by Matt with some of the rest of us helping with the testing. If you want it to work you need to build it like shown.

Carroll
    Just because someone disagrees with you does NOT make them your enemy. We can disagree without attacking someone.

Comment

• Originally posted by holtage View Post
      I want to asked John Bedini or Mathew Jones(Others also welcome) why use transformer as load instead of an inverter (12V to 220V)? Is it because the diodes, transistors do consume some voltage which will lead to the fact that the load(inverter) cannot get enough voltage for it to operate?

Also, is an inverter belongs to an inductive load or resistive load?

Also, can I use the sink/source current of output pin of ne555 timer to drive the bases of the transistors(which acts as switches) instead of opto-isolator because the adding of optoisolator to the tesla switch circuit make it more bulky and tedious to handle?

I have actually stopped using transformers and went using voltage regulators or boost circuits. I also do not switch back and forth rapidly that was done to drive the transformer.

I like this one:
      400W DC DC Boost Converter Step Up Panel Module Power Supply BST400W | eBay

On the output side you can use just use the positive output to the positive of the charge battery, you do not need to use the ground side of the regulator.

Also you need 3 banks of batteries 2 batteries per bank. 2 batts in serial discharging, 2 batts in parallel charging and 2 batts resting. All the switching you need at this point should rotate the batteries in circle based on the voltage of the charge batteries. If the batteries is between 14.8 and 15.2 send it to a resting position.
      Look up Carlos F Benitez, his patents cover this very circuit except they are from 1918 so his language is a bit mysterious sounding. His only attempt was to regulate the output power but his system was really solid.

If you need anything post, I check EF about 1 once week so if i am not quik about answering don't worry I'll be here sooner or later.

Cheers
      Matt

Comment

• Bridge rectifier can convert ac into dc

hi citfta, mathew jones

citfta, you said that the inverter will see the current as ac and cannot work, that's why the bridge rectifier comes into the play. The bridge rectifier ensures that the inverter see the current as dc (always the same direction). Isn't it?

Comment

• Yes you are correct. You could use a bridge and a large capacitor to smooth out the DC pulses and an inverter would probably work as long as the voltage was in the proper range.

But now you are changing AC to DC to run an inverter to change it back to AC again. All those conversions have some losses.

Carroll
          Just because someone disagrees with you does NOT make them your enemy. We can disagree without attacking someone.

Comment

• Do I need to add an extra capacitor to smooth out the DC pulses?

Do I need to add an extra capacitor(the third one) to smooth out the DC pulses? Or the two original capacitors in the tesla switch circuit can help smooth out the dc pulses to the inverter already(i.e. there is no need to add an extra large capacitor, total only two capacitor is enough in the circuit?)?

Comment

• Is there anyone can help me?

Can anyone reply my previous comment?

Comment

• The bridge rectifier puts out pulsing DC. As I already explained you need a large capacitor after the bridge to smooth out the pulses from the bridge. The other capacitors are before the bridge.

Comment

• More questions regarding tesla switch

Hi John Bedini, Mathew Jones, other people!

I am here to asked: The tesla switch circuit need to power the IC which controls the switching of current of the circuit, I just wonder should there be an additional battery(the 5th battery) to power the IC, or just one of the four batteries of the tesla switch to power the IC?

Also, I wonder what should be maxi current(or the thickness/AWG) rating of electric/magnet wires used in tesla switch circuit. For example, what's the difference between powering a 1000W appliance and a 10000W appliance?

Comment

• Is there anyone can reply my previous comment?

Is there anyone can reply my previous comment?

Comment

• Originally posted by holtage View Post
                      Hi John Bedini, Mathew Jones, other people!

I am here to asked: The tesla switch circuit need to power the IC which controls the switching of current of the circuit, I just wonder should there be an additional battery(the 5th battery) to power the IC, or just one of the four batteries of the tesla switch to power the IC?

Also, I wonder what should be maxi current(or the thickness/AWG) rating of electric/magnet wires used in tesla switch circuit. For example, what's the difference between powering a 1000W appliance and a 10000W appliance?
                      1: it's for simplicity. But some DC regulator like an old 7805 are required here to produce the supply of your pulse source. (there are spikes in the battery when the TS running).

Of corse, you can use a 5. battery instead if you like. Just nothing will charge it.

2: It's not Tesla switch relevant. Phisicsy clearly shows that with P=U*I: 1000W/12V means 83A so AWG10 or better required. It also marks size and weight requirements for the transformer core.

Have you tries to build a TS?

Comment

• Here's a circuit that can switch batteries from 12 to 24v.
                        It needs to have a fuse on every battery terminal. Both positives and negatives.
                        Plus because it uses fets, the batteries can only be pluugged into the main switching circuit when the sig gen board (not shown yet) is powered up, or the gates will be left floating, and if this happens then … at least the terminals were fused.

The signal gen circuit is just two 555 timers. The master is in astable mode on a fairly generic type external rc timer circuit, dirivng the slave, which is in bistable mode, so that when one outputs high the other outputs low.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Hi All,

I am new on this forum and English is not my first language, so I'm sorry for any mistakes.

Maybe I missed something, but this topic is very long. I would like to build a TS, where should I start? Which diagram should I use?

Thanks for any help,
                          Lukasz

Comment

• We are doing the latest work over here. Start about page 35.
                            http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...device-35.html

Matt

Comment

• Thanks Matt. I will start read this topic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matthew Jones View Post
                                We are doing the latest work over here. Start about page 35.
                                http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...device-35.html

Matt
                                Thanks Matt
                                http://teslagenx.com

Comment

Working...
                                X