My Perspective about the importance of Sleep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Perspective about the importance of Sleep

First off, let me disclose that I hate going to sleep.

Life is WAY TO EXCITING to waste time sleeping!

This has been my experience/mindset since as early as I can remember...Even in kindergarten I remember "nap time" being so boring...there were way too many interesting things to do than spend time sleeping.

However, I was always in a "catch-22", if I did not get enough sleep I would be tired and many times get a headache.

One of my attempts to spend as little time sleeping, and still have energy (and avoid headaches) was to purchase a flotation tank. I did this 8 years ago and I can get better than "8 hours sleep" in 5.5 hours in the tank.

I did this for many years, but for the last 2 years have not had the tank set up due to the space constraints in our current home.

(I am planning on getting it set back up this fall)

However, it was not until my exposure to PATHS that I really began to understand how VERY IMPORTANT SLEEP is to our complete health AND length & quality of life!

I know that the following copy and paste from the PATHS website is somewhat long, but it is chock full of IMPORTANT information that DOES HAVE SIGNIFICANT IMPACT on QUALITY and LONGEVITY of Life.

What amazed me in my learning curve regarding sleep, is how we are biologically programmed to experience an ongoing degradation in our physical bodies, even as we gain wisdom and experience that enables us to mentally, emotionally and spiritually enjoy life to a fuller extent.

Remember the fable of the sphynx? What a cruel twist of biology...or is it a curse?

In any case, the primary lesson learned is that if we let age take its' natural course, we end up producing less and less growth hormone, resulting in eventual "old age", with all the accompanying ailments.

This, to me, is unacceptable. Also, unacceptable to me is any kind of "outside" supplementation of growth hormone substitutes.

This leaves only the option of making sure my body continues to produce growth hormone at levels that are at the same as they were in my 20's.

So, while life is exciting, and I do not want to waste a moment of it, I have come to accept that it is VERY IMPORTANT to get enough sleep each night, and to make sure that the quality of that sleep is such that it produces growth hormone at levels that maintain optimum functioning of my body, rather than the naturally deteriorating process that occurs with age.

To date I have observed that my cooperation (scheduling 8 hours sleep a night and actually following it) with the PATHS Sleep Module is the best anti-aging tool available.

ADDITIONALLY, there are many other benefits to getting enough sleep...strong immune functions, etc.

DON'T settle for less than 8 hours sleep a night, even if it "seems" your body needs less as you grow older!!! (seeming to need less sleep is just a trick that accelerates the aging process if one falls for it)

Click on this Good Link!
    to learn about the different options with the PATHS Sleep Module.

The Importance of Deep Restful Sleep

The Sleep Module is at the foundation of the PATHS program. Every package automatically has the Sleep Module built into it. This module is free with every order.

There are hundreds of studies that have been done on sleep in relationship to mental, physical and emotional health. Thousands upon thousands of pages are readily available on this subject on the internet. (included below are just a few excerpts)

A few important issues to know are:

1. As we grow older we sleep less, and the sleep we get is not as restful.

2. Growth Hormone, that is naturally secreted throughout our lives-and needed to stay alive, is primarily secreted during deep sleep…with less deep sleep there is less growth hormone, and we see the effects of "age".

3. During deep sleep is when our immune system does most of its work….less deep sleep = weaker immune system.

4. During restful sleep melatonin is produced (yes you can take a melatonin supplement, but it is not nearly as effective as your own bodies melatonin). Melatonin is essential for healthy skin.

5. During restful sleep all the cleaning organs are operating at optimum. One of the reasons for feeling sluggish and a lack of energy during the day is from them not being able to do their job at night because of a lack of deep restful sleep.

There are hundreds of more reasons our bodies need a deep restful sleep ~ Quality sleep is one of the building blocks for well-rounded health!

Deep Sleep: The Great Anti-Aging Rejuvenator

Men as young as 35 are already showing their age, according to a new study finding that changing sleep patterns in midlife could be costing men as much as 75 percent of a hormone known to prevent aging, namely growth hormone.

Previous studies have focused on growth hormone deficiencies in older men and women. Low growth hormone, low testosterone (in males) and high insulin are all associated with increased central obesity (pot belly), loss of muscle mass and reduced exercise capacity. The ratio of the waist to the hip is a basic health and longevity biomarker, excellent being 8 to 10 ratio. But finding that human growth hormone (Hgh) decrease starts when men are in their 30s was unexpected, says Eve Van Cauter, professor of medicine at the University of Chicago and lead author of the study.

"The rest of your days depend upon the rest of your nights."

Life plays out in rhythms and the regeneration that happens during deep and restorative sleep is required for health and vitality. Play and live hard, drive towards goals on a daily basis with passion but, at the end of the day, relax and reflect in preparation for the balm of sleep. Hormonal storms resolve in sleep; biochemical fires extinguish in sleep; acid-base imbalances correct in sleep and the liver cleans house in sleep. Don't short-change yourself this nightly opportunity to recharge and replenish. An anti-aging protocol offered without consideration to sleep hygiene is as futile as trying to drive across the country on one tank of gas.

Dr. Perricone on Sleep, the Rejuvenation Hours:

A good night's sleep can make you look radiant and youthful. And doesn't the world look better, too? A look in the mirror shows that your face does not have as many lines as it would without enough rest. There is decreased puffiness around the eyes, and you have a radiance that only comes with good health. Getting enough sleep is critical to the anti-aging regimen because while you sleep, your cells undergo a process of repair. When we look at hormone parameters from sleep, we find that sleep turns down the negative effects of cortisol and the bad neurotransmitters, like epinephrine and norepinephrine, that can be elevated during stress. Growth hormone is released during sleep-and growth hormone is the youth hormone.

A good night's sleep will enhance your cognitive ability. The day after a good night's sleep, you can think, problem-solve and remember far better than after those sleepless nights. During sleep, your body releases a hormone called melatonin, which has positive effects on your skin and your immune system.

Lack of Sleep Affects Hormones

The changes in sleep quality that often come with age seem to trigger shifts in the endocrine system, altering hormone levels and metabolism. Researchers say that this study shows that a good night's sleep may be a natural form of hormone therapy, particularly for older adults.

* Researchers studied 149 men, aged 16 to 83, and found that age-related changes in sleep quality were linked to specific changes in several hormones. As sleep quality and quantity declined levels of the adrenal hormone cortisol increased, while levels of Growth Hormone (GH) declined.

* After the age of 25, men experience a decline in deep sleep that accompanied by a drop in GH production. GH deficiency is related to reduced muscle mass and strength, increased fat tissue, weakened immunity to infection, and other health declines.

* In later years, a new sleep pattern emerges, in which men get less sleep overall and levels of cortisol go up. Elevated cortisol may underlie a host of mental and metabolic problems, including memory loss and insulin resistance -- a precursor to diabetes.

The lower quality of sleep that the aging men experienced was evident though the measurement of several parameters.

* The average percentage of time spent in deep slow wave sleep decreased from 18.9% during early adulthood (age 16-25 years) to 3.4% during mid-life (age 36-50 years).

* This lost deep sleep was replaced by lighter sleep (stages 1 and 2) without other significant changes.

* The transition from mid-life to late life (age 71-83 years) involved no further significant decrease in deep slow wave sleep but an increase in time awake of 28 minutes per decade at the expense of decreases in both light non-REM (rapid eye movement) sleep and REM sleep.

These sleep pattern changes accompanied some changes in hormonal activity.

* The decline in slow wave sleep from early adulthood to mid-life was paralleled by a major decline in GH secretion (-372 µg per decade).

* From mid-life to late life, GH secretion further declined at a slower rate (-43 µg per decade).

* Independently of age, the amount of GH secretion was significantly associated with slow wave sleep.

* Increasing age was associated with an elevation of evening cortisol levels (+19.3 nmol/L per decade) that became significant only after age 50 years, when sleep became more fragmented and REM sleep declined.

Kevin

PATHS For Healing
    Energetic Science Ministries
    Meditation at the Click of a Button, Guaranteed!

ESM Forum Support Link

Perfect timing!

Thank you Kevin, for posting this today!
    (The synchronicity module is really kicking in!)

I've had narcolepsy and insomnia (and possibly sleep phase disorder), since childhood. I had a sleep study done about 2 1/2 years ago and my pattern was 1,2,REM, 1,2,REM, 1,2,REM... I never reached stages 3 or 4. It explained why I had so many physical and emotional problems. I've been taking 2 doses of Xyrem per night for the past 2 years, and I am pain-free for the first time in my life. It's been a life saver for me, but I'd rather not have to take it. It's a class 3 controlled substance, it's expensive ($1100/mo), and I've had some undesirable side effects.

I've been on PATHS for a month, with no improvement in my sleep thus far. Last night I tried to go to sleep taking only natural sleep formulas. I tossed and turned for 2 hours before capitulating. I know first hand the value of sleep.

All day I've been wondering if there is a module for sleep disorders, or if there is one in the making, or if there's something stronger than what is included in the standard module. Imagine my delight when I logged on tonight and saw your post. I clicked on the link in your post tonight and learned that there ARE deeper levels. I'm going to ask to have Super Duper Deep Sleep added to my modules. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you Kevin!

With love and gratitude,

Pam

Comment

Pam, I woke up this morning and was prompted to write up that post. There was no conscious event prompting it.

I have the synchonicity module also, and reckon it was the collective prompting my subconscious on your behalf!

In addition to the "super duper deep sleep" mod., have you tried large amounts of melatonin?

Here is a link on that. Melatonin Link

I have found it to be very useful. Most nights I take 10 milligrams when going to bed. I then read for about 30-45 minutes prior to falling asleep. Some nights I wake up and take another 10 milligrams.

"In the most extensive clinical trial to date a high dose of 75 milligrams of melatonin per day was given to 1400 women in the Netherlands for up to four years with no ill effects."
      Kevin

PATHS For Healing

ESM Forum Support Link

Comment

Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Kevin

YES!!!! Thanks for posting this. I place a very high priority on sleep. Lack of sufficient sleep has effects that people would never connect with it!!

And in Children in particular - Sleep is dramatically underestimated!

Here's an excerpt from an article I wrote a couple of years ago, on how Sleep can Change a Child's Future!!!

__________________________________________________ __________

How Sleep Can Change Your Child’s Future

Getting the full quota of sleep he needs, can affect who your child becomes as an adult. It can have an effect on his career success, personal relationships, and his financial security.

This may sound dramatic, but let me give some examples of how whether a child gets the full quota of sleep he needs each night, affects his future:

* Result 1: When a child is consistently getting the full amount of sleep he needs, he feels more energetic.

Effect: He has more energy to take part in, and do well in, sport and other physical activities.

Knock-on Effect: He develops a strong, healthy, active body, as well as higher self-esteem, and a sense of achievement.

Long-term Effect: This can change who he is – physically and emotionally. It can contribute to his health, to his feelings of self-worth and to his self-belief.

* Result 2: Not having to wake your child for school means he’s getting the full amount of sleep he needs, and he is then able to concentrate better and for longer periods of time.

Effect: Not only will he be able to learn and absorb more while in class, he will feel more alert and be able to participate more. He’ll also be better able to remember what he’s supposed to do and not do. He will find it easier to focus on instructions, and will therefore get better results, and be considered to be showing “good behaviour”.

Knock-on Effect: Getting better results in school, will build that self-esteem, and lead to more confidence and a better self-image.

Long-term Effect: Aside from the academic benefits of doing well at school, the increased self-esteem and sense of achievement will be invaluable to him as an adult – it can affect his career, personal relationships and attitude to finances – to mention just a few.

* Result 3: Consistently getting sufficient sleep will have a profound emotional effect on your child. He will feel happier, more tolerant, be less inclined to feel over-sensitive and irritable, and will benefit from a general, all-over feeling of security and stability – which is undermined when he is lacking in sleep.

Effect: He will get along better with others and be more inclined to do as he’s asked. He will be able to enjoy his life more, and this can nurture a positive attitude and outlook.

Knock-on Effect: Because of his general feeling of happiness and tolerance, others will be more inclined to feel drawn to him and appreciate him. He will receive more positive attention from adults and peers.

Long-term Effect: As we know, our feelings shape and create our lives. The positive feelings resulting from sufficient sleep can change the life your child creates for himself. The boosted self-esteem can change who he becomes as an adult.

Children need different amounts of sleep at different times – depending on whether they’re going through a growth spurt, have a lot of emotional issues to process, or are worried or concerned about anything.

I believe that if you have to wake a child up for school, he is not getting enough sleep. Get him to bed earlier, and if he wakes up early, it doesn’t matter – he can have time to play before getting ready for school, rather than cut short his sleep. If you need to leave at 8.30am, try setting bedtime at 7.30pm, with a story until 8pm, and then lights out and to sleep. Let’s say your child wakes up at 6.30am most mornings (suggest he plays in his room quietly until 7am), your child then has plenty of time to have breakfast and get ready for school in a relaxed manner. It also means he has an extra hour or so, to sleep when he needs it.

What I’ve mentioned here is only the tip of the iceberg.
        In enabling your child to get the sleep he needs you will be giving him a priceless gift – a contribution to the best he can be.
        __________________________________________________ ____________

Love and Light and Good Sleep xxx
        Reprogram Your Subconscious to Achieve Conscious Goals. Now you can try PATHS for Free!
        Please pop in to my new: Law of Attraction Tools Blog - It would be Wonderful to see you there!
        Free Trial - Bob Proctor Coaching Program

Comment

Great info Odille!

Kevin

PATHS For Healing

ESM Forum Support Link

Comment

Hi Kevin,

Gotta love the synchronicities! I tried melatonin once but it had the opposite effect... I woke up! I'll try it again, though and see what happens. Now that I'm using PATHS and Zpoint, it should work just fine! Thanks for the link.

Illusions, what an awesome post! Thank you for sharing it with us. Children getting proper sleep is of utmost importance. If kids can't fall asleep before 11 pm, no matter what time they go to bed, and they can't get up in the morning, they probably have narcolepsy. It is seriously under-diagnosed in children. It causes excessive daytime sleepiness and sometimes hyperactivity! People with narcolepsy don't produce enough hypocretin or they don't have enough hypocretin receptors in the brain, causing havoc with the sleep/wake cycle. I am hoping PATHS will come up with a module for this soon!

With love and gratitude,

Pam

Comment

Hi Pam,

Here is another Link that has more info on Melatonin.

Amazing as it seems, some companies actually put a stimulant in with their melatonin, effectively rendering it useless for helping someone sleep.

Seems like it would be pretty easy for PATHS to address the narcolepsy, if the primary cause is in relation to hypocretin. Have you written them, and asked them about this?

In the meantime I would try a melatonin supplement that is only melatonin, or melatonin with calcium.

Kevin

PATHS For Healing

ESM Forum Support Link

Comment

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the link. I think I might have bought the brand with the stimulant. You are a wealth of information. I bought some melatonin today... can't wait to try it tonight.

Well, Super Duper Sleep kicked in last night at exactly the time I requested...2:00 am! 5 minutes prior, I was wide awake and I intended to stay up for an additional 2 hours. The clock struck 2 and I started to yawn. I was surprised. I wasn't even tired. I yawned again. I took it as a sign to get ready for bed... which took about 15 minutes, and I yawned the whole time! I got excited... which is counter-productive to sleeping. I haven't felt sleepy (without medication) in several years. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough. I still had to take Xyrem. I didn't sleep well last night... only about 4 hours. I am hopeful about sleeping tonight. I'm gonna get ready for bed early, take melatonin and read a little. If this works, I'm gonna be one happy camper! I see my sleep specialist tomorrow, so let's hope this works. I'd LOVE to tell him I've found a non-drug solution.

I wrote the company today and asked if there is any chance of developing a module for narcolepsy, or if there's a way to produce more hypocretin and hypocretin receptors in the brain through one of the other modules? Haven't heard back yet. I know people with narcolpesy would be interested in this, since the only solution as of today is Xyrem and stimulants.

I'll give you an update tomorrow.

With love and gratitude,

Pam

Comment

Working...
                X