A list of all the coincidental things science claims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A list of all the coincidental things science claims

If you know of some things that seem too amazing to only happen by coincidence please share them. These are a few that I came up with.

1. The distance of the Earth from the Sun allows for liquid water

2. The distance and size of the moon exactly blocks the Sun.

3. The fine structure constant

4. Life

5. Favorable DNA mutation

6. Intelligent life

7. 1,2,4,5,6 happened at the same location in the universe

Granted the vastness of the universe would allow for such chance coincidental events to occur. A grand designer would also make for a good argument. Anyway ,if there is not a God, surely the idea of us finding another planet like Earth and intelligent life being there is futile and silly.

The perfectly synced axis rotation of the moon to it's orbit of the earth.

Comment

The longest ( and therefore presumably most complex) DNA genome is from a single cell amoeba.

I find that strange. Normally I would thinks things evolved from a simple genome to a more complex one. However it may be easier for DNA to evolve from the mutation of "losing information" rather than gaining it. I wonder if the next evolutionary change to human DNA will put our genome shorter than it is now?

Comment

Bananas produce no seed and can only be grown from cut-offs, yet are found planet-wide in all of the temperate zones. The (unspoken) conclusion being that at one time they were planted by someone.

Bananas coincidentally are the only foodstuff grown that contains everything nutrient-wise that a human needs to survive - so you could exist entirely on bananas and not suffer nutrient deficiencies.

Strawberries 56 chromosomes to humans 46 would suggest we are the ones that should be in jam jars and not the other way around! I thought it was bananas but Yahoo disagrees with me - and also ended my banana-theme prematurely.
        Last edited by sprocket; 11-24-2014, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruphus View Post
          The longest ( and therefore presumably most complex) DNA genome is from a single cell amoeba.

I find that strange. Normally I would thinks things evolved from a simple genome to a more complex one. However it may be easier for DNA to evolve from the mutation of "losing information" rather than gaining it. I wonder if the next evolutionary change to human DNA will put our genome shorter than it is now?
          A very good question, none of the current excepted scientific models seem to explain it adequately nor do the religious ones. Some of the less accepted models do have interesting and possible solutions but as of now, im on the fence with this one

Ruphus Bananas coincidentally are the only foodstuff grown that contains everything nutrient-wise that a human needs to survive - so you could exist entirely on bananas and not suffer nutrient deficiencies.
          Are you sure? thats a bold statement

Comment

Yes the DNA amount differences is quite interesting to me. I read this article which talks about "junk" DNA that may not be necessary

Why Onions Have More DNA Than You Do

It is a bit old however. It still does not touch the issue as to why so much junk DNA is part of some of the simplest organism.

@ Sprocket

I was unaware of the importance of the banana! Thats pretty neat!

Comment

Quote:
              Ruphus Bananas coincidentally are the only foodstuff grown that contains everything nutrient-wise that a human needs to survive - so you could exist entirely on bananas and not suffer nutrient deficiencies.
              Are you sure? thats a bold statement
              I think that should have been directed towards me. Well, all I can say is that I read it somewhere - some book (as opposed to the internet) I read. If you're really interested I try and find which one it was.

Comment

I don't know about the nutrition of a banana but as far as bananas having no seeds, that statement is not quite accurate.

Do Bananas Have Seeds? How Do They Reproduce?

I still like em though!

Comment

How about this:

So the human eye is designed to pick up Red, Green, and Blue. Their frequencies are:
                  Red: 455THz (mean)
                  Green: 575THz (mean)
                  Blue: 640Thz (mean)

In music we have designed the major triad scale.

Their ratio is 4:5:6 as well!

Are our brains tuned to enjoy these 4:5:6 ratios in frequencies over others?

Major chord - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                  Color - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course there are other music scales.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruphus View Post
                    I don't know about the nutrition of a banana but as far as bananas having no seeds, that statement is not quite accurate.

Do Bananas Have Seeds? How Do They Reproduce?

I still like em though!
                    Hehe, in an effort to vindicate myself (somewhat), I tracked down the book in question - it's called Earths Forbidden History: Searching for the Past by Maxwell Igan. I was obviously working from memory, therefore paraphrasing like crazy. Below is a direct quote, proving my memory, if not the information, is essentially correct!

Firstly, banana plants are not trees; they are actually a perennial herb. The trunk of the plant is
                    really nothing more than the plants outer leaves. The real stem of the plant doesn’t actually
                    become visible until it pushes out through the top to produce the large purple flower that will
                    eventually develop into the fruit. Then, having finished its perennial reproductive cycle, the plant
                    dies. The problem here, is that in the reproductive cycle of the banana, seeds are completely
                    absent from the mature fruit! A new ‘seedling’ (known as a ‘sucker’) can only ever be generated
                    from a piece of the plants rootstock and yet bananas are found in almost most every place on
                    earth, even on quite remote and isolated islands.
                    How in the world did they all get there?
                    The seeds certainly weren’t carried across the oceans by prevailing winds. To fully appreciate
                    this anomaly first consider that the only other seedless plants that exist anywhere in the world are
                    things like seedless grapes, naval oranges and the many genetically modified varieties of
                    commercial vegetables that can now be purchased, the point is, any other seedless plants that
                    exist, anywhere in the world, are all that way because they have genetically modified!
                    And yet here we have the humble banana, which is also the only food in existence that contains
                    exactly the correct requirements of vitamins and minerals for mans metabolism completely. It is
                    the only food that man can live on healthily, by itself, with complete nutrition, it is found all over
                    the world and yet we have no knowledge of how it could possibly have come into being. It seems
                    highly improbable that the worldwide distribution of a seedless fruit that is perfectly tailored for
                    sustaining man would have just somehow ‘happened.’

Comment

Oh yeah, while I think of it, another one from a book that I read - I think it was called "What Einstein told his barber.", or along those lines.

Hands up those who knows what is the cause of the perceived difference in moon-size, depending on when it's seen? There have been many 'scientific' explanations postulated for centuries, but according to the PhD'ed author of the above book, ALL are provably false! The truth according to him is that in this scientific age, we still do not have a clue!!! All we know for sure is that the perceived difference in size is illusory and not a result of the moon altering it's orbit, atmospheric effects etc. I'm inclined to think this is all just part of a giant computer simulation, which would also explain the many contradictory comments by many astronauts/cosmonauts about the stars when they first got into space - there are many references to them not seeing any stars! I can almost visualise our 'God' programming like crazy in order to bring that until-then-unnecessary detail into existence before too many of his minions smelled a rat!

Anyway, I found that interesting, and about all I remember from said book.

Edit: Ive just glanced at the thread-title and realised that none of the things I've posted could be deemed "coincidental" in science, so have probably been posting non-relevant material. Sorry.
                      Last edited by sprocket; 11-25-2014, 06:42 PM. Reason: Oops...

Comment

@ Sprocket

That's ok.

Yes I am looking for "coincidental" things that have been found.

I come across them now and again, so I figured I'd start a tread on it so others could post as well.

Comment

This is probably more in line with the thread title. The wildly improbable numerical coincidences regarding the Giza pyramid's dimensions - links-only I'm afraid as I'm too lazy to C & P stuff. I first came across this in a Youtube video which I think is here. The speed-of-light one is especially memorable, where during the documentary a mathematician is unwittingly walked through the math involved, suddenly realises the implications of the conclusion, then point-blank refuses to continue, insisting on a change of subject! Sweet!

Comment

Thanks Sprocket. I will definitely take a look at these.

I did skim over it a bit and noted a few things. I must say that I don't hold much stock in all the unit conversions that "coincidentally" equal some things we today hold as important numbers scientifically. For instance , if the Egyptians knew about the speed of light and built the pyramids using cubits then the S.O.L. value should of been "encoded" in cubits not meters.

Pi and phi always interest me though, so worth a look.

Comment

I hear where you're coming from regarding the metric system, but regardless of what measurement system is concerned, I don't think you can just rationalise it away as coincidence just because we supposedly "know" that the Egyptians couldn't possibly have known about it. That in itself is supposition - almost everything we "know" about the Egyptian technological level at the time the Giza pyramid was 'supposedly' built, tell us the Egyptians could not possibly have built Giza - with copper chisels for Christ's sake! - yet this nonsense we are fed as the official history! It's crazy. Yet the sound scientific evidence that Giza is much older than the official build-date is not even entertained 'officially'!!! Someone wants us to remain ignorant about our true history methinks...

And were you to conclude that these coincidences are outside the range of probability and accept that there must be something to it, concluding the obvious, that 'whoever' built Giza knew about the metric (or whatever) system, might not be right either. Maybe this is a 'manufactured' reality that we occupy (read 'The Holographic Universe') - then anything from penis-size to the price of coffee could be encoded into anything! As I alluded to earlier, I have an inkling that this is indeed the case. But that's just my opinion.

One other thing, it is 'acceptable' scientifically nowadays to at least be fascinated by the undeniable use of PI in Giza's construction, but only because we are well acquainted with PI, having being playing with it seriously for hundreds of years. Whereas the metric system is only around for a hundred years or so. I bet were you to survey the general public in Europe (never mind America, where the Imperial system is still mainly used) as to how the various metric quantities were derived, a significant percentage wouldn't have a clue! In fact there is a sound basis for their derivation, and it is quite conceited to suppose that we 'know' that we were the first ones to figure them out! After all, the earth has been around for a LONG time, yet we have only been able to manage to record a couple of thousand years of history. Officially we are told that we are the first humans to reach this exalted technological level - somehow, I doubt that!

Comment

Working...
                              X