Hendershot Replications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Turion View Post
    We have this AMAZING warehouse here in San Jose that is full of ancient equipment and old test equipment in wooden boxes. I love to poke around in that place.
    Would you mind looking for something for me? I want to try a Hendershot generator armature made of permalloy but can't find anything the size I need online.

I remember some old C-band satellite receivers from the 70's/80's/early 90's that had a medium grey casting that was partitioned into internal compartments and they had circuit boards mounted inside the partitions with an aluminum top cover that was attached with screws into the casting. The assembly then was fitted into a metal and plastic cabinet to make it look better and hold the user controls and meters. At first glance one might think the casting was aluminum but the unit was relatively heavy for its size. I'm thinking that casting might have been permalloy to shield the internal microwave signals from each other and any external EM fields. That's how it was used in aviation magnetic compasses.

Since permalloy is mostly nickel and iron I think the coating might be zinc to prevent corrosion. If you scratch the casting it should be bright silver underneath the coating and it would be highly magnetic if it is permalloy or not magnetic at all if aluminum.

I'm thinking I might be able to cut a 6" X 1 3/4" piece out of one of those to make an armature but haven't found one yet.

Or if anyone remembers a make and model of such a C-band receiver that might help me narrow down the search. I opened up a DirecTV receiver a few years old and they no longer use the casting for shielding in the modern units.

Comment

• Sorry, I just saw this post. You should have PM'd me. I am out of town for a few days, but I will check it out first chance I get. I installed satellites for a while in my younger days, and you many just be right about that.

Dave
      “Advances are made by answering questions. Discoveries are made by questioning answers.”
      —Bernhard Haisch, Astrophysicist

Comment

• Originally posted by Turion View Post
        Sorry, I just saw this post. You should have PM'd me. I am out of town for a few days, but I will check it out first chance I get. I installed satellites for a while in my younger days, and you many just be right about that.

Dave
        No hurry at all. I'm pretty tied up with holiday/family things myself.

Comment

• I've finished my build except for the capcoil caps. I thought I would do some testing while I think about those capacitors. The testing has shown me a couple of things of interest.

I'm using a 120V, 60Hz variac to feed variable voltage power into the circuit like the J. G. Gallimore schematic shows as a startup mechanism on the right side of the ringer coils.

Following the idea that someone posted that the capcoils were just eye candy to distract from the true functioning of the device I used no capacitor, 1.3uF and 7.8nF off-the-shelf capacitors in my tests while taking readings at 30, 60, 90, and 120 volts AC and different spacings of 3/4" to 0" from the ringer coils to the magnetron armature and with the armature removed and the coils even with the magnet poles and inside the magnet poles.

The capacitors definitely make a difference but I didn't see any marked improvement with them. I'm thinking I may need much higher frequency AC for my testing. Considering Lester's relationship with the air force and the fact that the magnet is a magnetron magnet, I'm thinking 400Hz might be better - that being the frequency for most aviation power. But I'm not sure how to build a variable voltage, variable frequency, pure sine wave AC power supply. It's one of the things I'm looking into because the commercial units I've seen are in the $1000s. I have a function generator that will output a pure sine wave but it is far too weak to use for any testing.

Noticing that the ringer coils had a wider side-to-side spacing on the one photo of the working Hendershot device and all other photos I've seen (Aho, Skilling, and Mark Hendershot) have narrow spacings, I also varied that spacing and found that the ringer coils need the wider spacing. They were shown where the their cores were about half way between the center of the magnet and the outside poles. That setup gave immediate results of about 20% increase in throughput. Moving them out to a position centered on the end poles of the magnet gave slightly more improvement - 1 to 2% more.

I tried different ringer coil mounting materials as well. The coil cores have tapped holes in one end and I mount them to the adjustment sled with stainless steel non-magnetic screws through the mounting material into those threaded holes. I suspected that using the permalloy mount that came with the coils would be the best. But that was wrong. Changing from permalloy to aluminum mounting material gave another 20% improvement. I think that's because the permalloy mount was directing magnetic flux out of the coil cores so it wasn't inside the portion wound with wire. Changing the mounting material to a non-magnetic material left more magnetic flux in the permalloy cores so gave more output. I also tried perf-board and that gave another 1 to 2% improvement. I think that's because the flux into the aluminum was setting up eddy currents.

I don't have a very good method of making the ringer coil to magnetron armature adjustment so those 1 - 2 % improvements may just be adjustment differences in the armature gap and might be discounted.

I've only tried one schematic so far and don't have anything useable yet. But I will keep plugging along.

Thinking about the capcoil caps and having destroyed too many caps looking for paper, I've decided to take another route. In one of the web sites I found on dielectric constants of various materials they say that Teflon has the same dielectric constant as dry paper - 2.0. Interestingly, that's the same as paraffin also. So I'm thinking that as long as the Teflon film is the same size and thickness as the paper it should work okay. I could not find the original Pyramid combined cap but I did find individual Pyramid caps on ebay and took them apart. The paper is 0.003" thick measured with a micrometer after letting them dry for a month. So I guess I'll try the same thickness Teflon which is plentiful. Opinions anyone?

Link: Dielectric Constant Values

Comment

• Hendershot Caps

thx1138,
            Good to see you still at it and apologise for not responding earlier.
            Will put up some pics of my cap build and what I used in ex electrolytic types and their Aluminium foils plus common baking paper.
            They are in one of the Hendershot Forums somewhere here but will upload again.
            Most seem to find the caps a hurdle and stop at that point.
            Mine actually gave the same 6,800pF capacitance as suggested for this device and what Lester himself was using.
            My choice of cap appeared to be a close match to Lesters as the lengths were very close.
            I used paddle-pop sticks to tune mine so they read the same value which appears to be important.
            My inner former is Aluminium and need to change to Iron which I have not done as yet.
            Probably use a Tin can and solder along the seam to make it a solid body.
            Busy on other projects at this time but will upload some pics later.

Smokey

Comment

• Hendershot Capacitor Build

Hendershot Capacitor Build:
              Here are some pics of my build process.
              This was the choice of caps I had.
              The one with the plastic cover was out of a Blaupumkt colour TV and knew it was damaged as the aluminium container had split but used this as an example of what was inside.

Chose this one as it appeared to suit the bill nicely as it was 4" in length - note the ruler at right hand side.
              Removed the top with a small hacksaw and immediately saw that it was centralised in the big can by tar and so had to heat to remove but was much easier then expected.
              The tar simply came away once cut off with the first paper wind.
              Note the different sizes and the voltage ratings and my choice was the higher voltage but the difference was the huge gap inside.

This is the aluminium foil after cleaning which was also simply done under a running tap using a kitchen scourer but gently.
              The cap as Hendershot made had two ends 1" apart at the centre and this is showing how I joined contacts to the cap foil by using pie dish 0.1mm aluminium and used it bent over with the cap foil inside the bend and simply poked a sharp scriber through many times to make contact and this appears to have worked well and is similar to what the manufacturer actually does.
              Capacitor value was close to the 7,800pF that Hendershot achieved but note here the length just happened to be just over 182" and all I had to do was cut in half to get the 91" required.

Final shot of the finished product and you can see the two cap leadouts at rhs unit.
              The two transformers used here are also from the Blaupunkt and are horizontal driver types (had two) which would be directly equivalent to what Lester was using.
              My 'resonator' here is a 4 volt Multivibrator and was the setup that accidentally gave an 11kv spark due to a loose and sparking joint.
              However was not able to make the unit resonate.
              300 to 500 Watt output and 43khz gets a mention.

Hope this helps in some way and was fun to build and mess with but had to go on to better possibilities which I am currently working on.
              The 'resonator' is my only problem here and have not come up with one that can actually induce a voltage into the twin coils.
              A great learning experience.
              Good luck with your builds.

Have also uploaded this to the other Hendershot site here:

http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...tml#post270171

Smokey

Comment

• Missing Hendershot thread

Anyone know what happened to this other thread on the subject?

http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...erator-20.html

404 Error.

Comment

• ProfessorTinkerer
                  Anyone know what happened to this other thread on the subject?
                  try this
                  http://www.energeticforum.com/showth...shot+generator

Comment

• Nothing positive yet

Just thought I would post an update. I've been through 30+ different variations so far and haven't had any positive results yet. I'm still mostly testing different materials and configurations.

The only things I can report so far is that HyMu 80 (very similar to Permalloy) works better than cold rolled steel or cast iron for the armature. I remember seeing the phrase "soft iron" for the armature in one of the documents but thought that meant non-steel, i.e. no carbon. It actually means magnetically soft iron, e.g. HyMu 80, Permalloy, and there are a few other brand names.

The spread between the ringer coils in relation to the center of the magnet does make a difference. Nearer the ends is giving me more throughput.

Many more tests to do.
                    Last edited by thx1138; 05-15-2015, 12:42 PM.

Comment

• Thank you guys, you are so awesome to share your adventure and struggles. Thank you all.

I have seen a few builds and hear many things to try but never heard of
                      a perfect OU output yet. But the fact that there is an increase depending on geometry/coupling/induction/reactants/resonance tuning does cause me to wonder if it is close to 100 percent.

Keep up the adventureand you are sure to strike a node.

Comment

• hints

first of all thanx u all 4 the silent welcoming..
                        i have been thru much of the posts on this thread as an observer one person i believe holds the key to unlocking the secret to hendershot's dev is morph.
                        there is that video which morpher44 posted on his youtube a/c a few years ago
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tcalYuoH8Y
                        at some point the device becomes sensitive to variation in light intensity to ambient surroundings .i suggest morpher measures the resonant freq of that tank ircuit @ that moment.

the fact that the tank circuit is responsive to ambient BACKGROUND EM radiation suggest that there is an evanescent wave/oscillating ether?? coupling to the wall of the container.

also an understanding of the poynting vector and how it relates to resistance and heat dissipation might be of practical use to one who intends to build the H device..look @ this..wiki article on the poynting vector of a charged cylinder within a static vertical magnet field such as a solenoid's.
                        " Although there are only static electric and magnetic fields, the calculation of the Poynting vector produces a clockwise circular flow of electromagnetic energy, with no beginning or end."
                        did u see that?
                        "While the circulating energy flow may seem nonsensical or paradoxical, it proves to be absolutely necessary to maintain conservation of momentum. Momentum density is proportional to energy flow density, so the circulating flow of energy contains an angular momentum.[14] This is the cause of the magnetic component of the Lorentz force which occurs when the capacitor is discharged. During discharge, the angular momentum contained in the energy flow is depleted as it is transferred to the charges of the discharge current crossing the magnetic field."

now you know where the energy is from. a little study into matters -displacement current-will give u a way to harness a portion of that 0-0 energy.

i will help a little further
                        "While the circulating energy flow may seem nonsensical or paradoxical, it proves to be absolutely necessary to maintain conservation of momentum. Momentum density is proportional to energy flow density, so the circulating flow of energy contains an angular momentum.[14] This is the cause of the magnetic component of the Lorentz force which occurs when the capacitor is discharged. During discharge, the angular momentum contained in the energy flow is depleted as it is transferred to the charges of the discharge current crossing the magnetic field."

open u'r eyes a little bit more aahhh! now u see it.

hopefully i can get materials necessary to stabilize the contraption ..anyone know a faster(<1ns) way to switch high voltage other than VERY expensive mosfets and sprytrons.

Comment

• Originally posted by veron2014 View Post
                          first of all thanx u all 4 the silent welcoming..
                          i have been thru much of the posts on this thread as an observer one person i believe holds the key to unlocking the secret to hendershot's dev is morph.
                          there is that video which morpher44 posted on his youtube a/c a few years ago
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tcalYuoH8Y
                          at some point the device becomes sensitive to variation in light intensity to ambient surroundings .i suggest morpher measures the resonant freq of that tank ircuit @ that moment.

the fact that the tank circuit is responsive to ambient BACKGROUND EM radiation suggest that there is an evanescent wave/oscillating ether?? coupling to the wall of the container.

also an understanding of the poynting vector and how it relates to resistance and heat dissipation might be of practical use to one who intends to build the H device..look @ this..wiki article on the poynting vector of a charged cylinder within a static vertical magnet field such as a solenoid's.
                          " Although there are only static electric and magnetic fields, the calculation of the Poynting vector produces a clockwise circular flow of electromagnetic energy, with no beginning or end."
                          did u see that?

now you know where the energy is from. a little study into matters -displacement current-will give u a way to harness a portion of that 0-0 energy.

i will help a little further

open u'r eyes a little bit more aahhh! now u see it.

hopefully i can get materials necessary to stabilize the contraption ..anyone know a faster(<1ns) way to switch high voltage other than VERY expensive mosfets and sprytrons.
                          What you try to do is forbidden so stick with slower impulses. Check some interesting factors about speed of spark gap...

Comment

• caution

Originally posted by boguslaw View Post
                            What you try to do is forbidden so stick with slower impulses. Check some interesting factors about speed of spark gap...
                            forbidden by who or what?people,physics laws..

as for the sparkgap did you mean anything 'interesting' other than doubling of frequency.

Comment

• I should rather say - rescticted. Super fast switching power devices are classified as used with nuke weapon (which is only partialy true). The essence of Tesla method is in pico and nanosecond times. Spark gap can switch at 0.18 ns time I saw some scientific papers one day

Comment

• stator my build

my build
                                still trying to find laser cutting services

Comment

Working...
                                X