Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PC based oscilloscope? or a DSO NANO scope? for US$ 160 or less?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PDScope

Chris,
    A few years back I bought a DPScope kit. Took the time to build it carefully. First time I turned it on, worked great! Got to use it 2 more times before it died. Next I went on EBay and bought a used Tektronix for ~ $180. Still using it. Yes it was more than I wanted to spend, but some things just don't pay to go cheap.

You will want something that can take the transient spikes that we work with. You can't always predict the peak. I think the cheap, usb units don't have the protection.
    Take Care,
    Randy
    Last edited by tachyoncatcher; 11-24-2014, 03:02 AM.
    _

Comment

Hi Randy,
      I appreciate your honest reply.

I have a friend who has an old Tektronix vacuum tube scope. He said he would loan it to me. I don't know if I have room for it? But, at least if it broke, it could be repaired, I think? At least, it would help me learn about scopes with real knobs.

Chris

Comment

More feed back on the hantek from an EE at the OU.com thread
        from here
        PC based oscilloscope? or a DSO NANO scope? for US$ 160 or less?

MarkE

It all depends on what you want / need.

The cheapest serviceable scope going is the USB Hantek 6022. That is a two channel 20MHz bandwidth affair that can be found for around $75. Beware of knock-offs. It has far more features, better bandwidth, and comes assembled for less than the DP Scope. If you need more bandwidth for another $90. or so they offer the 50MHz 6052.

If you need four channels the price jumps or you will have to go to used scopes.
        end Quote
        --------------------------
        If you want to Change the world
        BE that change !!

Comment

Thanks for the extra feedback from the EE at OU. I will assume he knows what is out there. If there was something that wrong with the software for the Hantek 6022, he would not have recommended it as the best lower end serviceable scope.

So, If I have any money after New Years, this is what I will get. I do have a nice small laptop to dedicate as a PC scope.

Thank,
          Chris

Comment

The Hantek USB have no ground loop protection. So you have to be careful with them. I lost one from running a micro controller off the same (my only) PC. I lost the MC the scope and 4 of 8 USB ports on the PC.

I never got any warning with the instruction. I guess I should have known the scope didn't have an isolated power supply, but I didn't and burnt a bunch of money up real quick.

Cheers
            Matt

Comment

How does one calculate the oscilloscope frequency needed for any given expected waveform or events per second?

Comment

Working...
              X