Energetic Forum  
Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Delicious Digg Reddit WordPress StumbleUpon Tumblr Translate Addthis Aaron Murakami YouTube 2018 ENERGY CONFERENCE - ALL SEATS SOLD OUT!

2018 Energy Science & Technology Conference
Sponsored by Teslacoin Foundation

Teslacoin Foundation

http://tesla-coin.com


Go Back   Energetic Forum > >
   

Renewable Energy Discussion on various alternative energy, renewable energy, & free energy technologies. Also any discussion about the environment, global warming, and other related topics are welcome here.

* NEW * BEDINI RPX BOOK & DVD SET: BEDINI RPX

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #451  
Old 05-04-2015, 07:59 PM
voltan's Avatar
voltan voltan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: brisbane,australia
Posts: 102
hi citfta. this might help with feeding additional coil outputs to the storage cap.
the blue lines and arrows show flow from - to + for the first coil and either polarity input to the ac legs is additive, in voltage, to the 1st coil's.
maybe another fwbr is required to rectify the 1st coils output on the front of this, or maybe try splitting the 1st coils output like you would do a voltage doubler,and run 2 strands of fwbr's. or maybe you have to take phasing into account, or maybe rectification and smoothing of each coil's output is required. lotsa maybe's but it might be worth trying different combinations.
also, for y connected motor coils, a common scheme for car alternators looks like it blocks cross currents, phase to phase,effectively. easily expandable for more than 3 phases and available in 1 block component for 3 phase.
pic 4 is a nifty adaptation.
cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg power injection.JPG (6.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg power collection.JPG (10.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 3 phase rectification..JPG (11.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: png download.png (3.4 KB, 5 views)
__________________
 

Last edited by voltan; 05-07-2015 at 06:30 PM.
Reply With Quote

Download SOLAR SECRETS by Peter Lindemann
Free - Get it now: Solar Secrets

  #452  
Old 05-05-2015, 10:40 AM
gyula gyula is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 810
I have pondered on Carroll's problem with connecting the two DC outputs of the two diode bridges in parallel: basically the problem is that he has two different voltage sources and these can only be connected in parallel if the inner resistances and the output amplitudes of the sources are identical. If you connect a 12V and a 12.5V battery in parallel for instance, the 0.5V difference will drive a charging current into the 12V battery and this is a load for 12.5V battery. Maybe such a 'load' appears in Carroll's setup for one of the output coils?
The best is to use a scope and explore the phase and amplitude issues.

Perhaps a simple solution to separate the two voltage sources is to insert a diode in series with the DC output of one of the diode bridges. This diode could block any loading effect by the other source. Such series diode is used at the outputs of solar panels to prevent their backloading effect towards the batteries when there is no sunlight.

Voltan's second drawing is correct I think and should give a solution too, however the DC outputs are added in series. IT is true that the individual DC outputs are available too but with a common + and - connection.

Gyula
__________________
 
Reply With Quote
  #453  
Old 05-05-2015, 12:17 PM
citfta's Avatar
citfta citfta is online now
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,296
Hi voltan,

Thanks for your suggestions. I have tried connecting the separate coils to individual bridges and then connecting the output of the bridges to the same cap. That is when the system bogs down. If I connect them to different caps then the system runs fine. However I can connect the outputs of both bridges back to the run battery and it does not bog the system down.

Gyula,

I think you may have it figured out. There is a difference in voltage from the coils primarily because of my crude set-up. I don't have all coils mounted exactly the same distance from the rotor and of course I don't have the phasing exactly the same either. I did take a quick look yesterday with the dual trace scope and did not see anything that looked out of the ordinary. So I think you are right the problem is probably just a mismatch in voltage causing one to feed the other. It is kind of strange I don't get that effect when connecting them both to the same battery but the capacity of the battery is so large it probably just absorbs the charge and doesn't allow any to feed back to the other coil. I need to try with a larger cap and see if that makes a difference. I will try to do that later today if I have time. I have another unrelated project I am going to have to take care of that will keep me tied up for the next few weeks and will not be able to do any testing after today. But I will be back at this as soon as possible. And I know Dave is also working on the pump motor coil generator idea.

Later,
Carroll
__________________
 
Reply With Quote
  #454  
Old 05-05-2015, 02:36 PM
gyula gyula is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 810
Hi Carroll,

Well, I think that if your lower amplitude output (out of the two outputs) is still higher than the battery voltage amplitude, then no back-loading can occur under this condition, both outputs can charge the battery, albeit with different charging currents, this explains why there is no problem when the battery is the load at the common output.

This would mean that with a larger capacitor (instead of the present puffer capacitor) and the battery unconnected, you would not solve this problem.

Gyula
__________________
 
Reply With Quote
  #455  
Old 05-05-2015, 05:12 PM
Turion's Avatar
Turion Turion is online now
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,499
I'm going to run the original pump motor as a generator by removing the fan that is on one end of the rotor assembly and turning the shaft with a drill or Dremel tool, just to see what the output will be and how many amps I can get out of it. That will give me some idea of the potential of this unit as a generator. I have already come up with several ideas on how to utilize this as a generator and will be exploring those to see which provides the most output for the least input. Ultimately, I am looking for something I can run with a rewound Razor Scooter motor, although that might be overkill for this unit once magnetic cogging is overcome by operating it at higher rpm's. Since it DOES speed up under loads.

I have also been woking on the 3BGS circuit and with some changes we made I had a four hour run yesterday with full recovery of the primaries while running a razor scooter motor hooked up to another razor scooter motor as a generator and powering some lights. I also ran a 12 volt fan across battery 3 for a time. Plus the secondary batteries charged way, way up. We ALL know that the primary batteries can recover, but whether they have the same CAPACITY is the real question, and I wish I had a battery analyzer to really test them. I believe Matt does, so maybe when if this run is successful, I can talk him into replicating it and then testing his primary batteries.

Today I will be doing an 8 hour run of the same setup with DIFFERENT batteries to see if I can replicate the results. If so, I will give the circuit to a couple others to try, and if they are also successful, post it on the forum.

As usual, I had a wild idea, and immediately went to Matt to figure out how to put it into practical application and he figured out the circuit for me. Then he had to talk me through building it, even though it is simple, because I am dense. Anyway, I will be posting all this on the Basic Free Energy Device thread, and if we release the circuit, on the 3BGS thread as it directly pertains to that.

Dave
__________________
"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds
"Try Not! Do or do not. There is no 'Try' ". Yoda

Last edited by Turion; 05-05-2015 at 05:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #456  
Old 05-15-2015, 01:10 PM
citfta's Avatar
citfta citfta is online now
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,296
As is normal on this forum there are a couple of threads that are about improving electric motors. As is also normal for this forum there seems to be a lot of confusion about what back electromotive force (BEMF) really is. There is at least one thread where the theme seems to be that BEMF is some kind of evil that must be gotten rid of. Very, Very wrong conclusion!

To help you understand what BEMF really is I need to lay some background information. Let's first look at one of the most versatile of all motors. I am talking about the shunt wound DC motor. This is a motor that has field windings that are separate from the armature circuit.

When full voltage is applied to the field windings this motor can develop high torque at very low rpm. I have worked on a 10 HP motor of this type that could move a 20 ft milling table with only 2 volts applied to the armature. And it was turning so slowly you could count the commutator segments as they moved under the brushes! Very high torque at low rpm.

How can it do that? The answer has to do with BEMF. At that low of rpm almost no BEMF is generated. However the voltage applied is also very low. So when the motor starts to turn the BEMF generated is still enough to limit the current to maintain the speed of the armature. This motor requires a cooling fan to keep it from overheating when run like this.

Where does the BEMF come from? As the armature starts moving the magnetic field of the field windings causes a current to be generated that opposes the applied current going to the armature.

As we increase the speed of the motor by applying more voltage to the armature the BEMF also increases to limit the speed of the motor by opposing again the applied voltage. This is not a BAD thing. What would happen if there was no BEMF? I can tell you from personal experience exactly what would happen.

My partner and I were troubleshooting a 25 HP shunt wound DC motor circuit. The motor was running. We accidentally bumped the relay that feed the field current to the field windings. Of course there was an immediate loss of magnetic field in the field windings. Without a magnetic field in the field windings no BEMF was produced. The armature current immediately went up to the max current the armature windings could carry limited only be the resistance of those windings. This sudden surge of current created a very load boom that shook the whole building! My boss came running out of the office to see what had blown up.

BEMF is NOT our enemy. It is the only thing that limits the current through the armature. BEMF is the natural and very efficient governor that helps us control the motor.

As I said earlier the shunt wound DC motor is a very versatile motor. One of the neat things you can do with it is to get it to turn faster than it would normally go at full armature voltage. How do we do that? By reducing the field current. Once the motor is up to full speed we can then reduce the field current by a small amount and get the motor to turn faster. This works because when we reduce the field current we also reduce the BEMF. This allows more current to flow through the armature which makes the motor speed up until the BEMF again balances out the applied armature voltage. The only drawback to this is this also reduces the torque of the motor. This is usually not a problem because we only do this after the motor is at normal full speed and therefore has whatever load it has up to speed also.

To be continued.
__________________
 
Reply With Quote
  #457  
Old 05-15-2015, 03:20 PM
Ufopolitics's Avatar
Ufopolitics Ufopolitics is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: US, Florida
Posts: 4,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by citfta View Post
As is normal on this forum there are a couple of threads that are about improving electric motors. As is also normal for this forum there seems to be a lot of confusion about what back electromotive force (BEMF) really is. There is at least one thread where the theme seems to be that BEMF is some kind of evil that must be gotten rid of. Very, Very wrong conclusion!
Cifta,

I do not care how many times you keep posting and referring to my Thread, even "indirectly" like above...I will come back here and reinstate/correct whatever you are trying to express I am doing wrong.

And...if your comment above -by any very small chance- was not meant towards my work...then, disregard/ignore this/my post.

Quote:
To help you understand what BEMF really is...{...}
To be continued.
We really do not need to engage into one hundred chapter book to know what BEMF is...at least not with me, reason why I deleted all about your very long example.

So, in very simple and plain words by Wikipedia...easily available to all without the need of any "counseling":

So, concluding, BEMF is a NATURAL reversed Voltage generated by the facts above -briefly- described.

Or even simpler...it is a combined/added reaction from Two Main and NATURAL Electrodynamic Principles/Discoveries: Faraday-Lenz Laws.

I do not think we need to bring each one here -in detail- as must of Us know them very well.

Now, the 'reversed' "evil" (like you wrote)...or like I call it "Witch"...is NOT the one You and Me are referring in above examples and citations.

I am referring clearly (starting by my First Video :Asymmetry to Enlightenment in 2012) to the reversed voltage occurring at the brushes plane whenever armature coils are forced to reverse their voltage input by being FORCED within a Continuous Cycle to do so, based on A Symmetrical Design.

And that is not a Natural BEMF generated based on Faraday-Lenz Laws.

That is a Forced reversed voltage that takes place every time a coil in the series group of the whole rotating armature reverses input.

I just wanted to make sure, you understand to which reversed voltage I was, and I am still referring to as "The Witch".

I am showing -In my Thread- how to collect that NATURAL BEMF without generating a FORCED BEMF every time armature spins.

NATURAL BEMF is not our/my enemy either

FORCED BEMF is, our enemy.


Simple.


Ufopolitics
__________________
 

Last edited by Ufopolitics; 05-15-2015 at 03:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #458  
Old 05-15-2015, 05:09 PM
Turion's Avatar
Turion Turion is online now
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,499
Enemy?

And it is my belief that NEITHER is the enemy if you run the motor between two positives (between a 24 volt potential of two batteries in series and a discharged battery) giving a natural outlet for this energy to the discharged battery, as in the 3BGS. You can SEE it come out using simple meters. Voltage on the output side of the motor is several volts HIGHER than the voltage going into the motor. And you don't need an asymmetrical motor for it to work properly, or at least that is my experience. Off the shelf motors will work. However, I also believe more testing needs to be done. I will have to admit that one of the BEST runs I ever got on the 3BGS was using an asymmetrical motor I wound following UFO's plans. oh, and I have THAT run on video, or at least important PARTS of it.

Dave
__________________
"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds
"Try Not! Do or do not. There is no 'Try' ". Yoda

Last edited by Turion; 05-15-2015 at 05:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #459  
Old 05-15-2015, 05:22 PM
Ufopolitics's Avatar
Ufopolitics Ufopolitics is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: US, Florida
Posts: 4,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turion View Post
And it is my belief that NEITHER is the enemy if you run the motor between two positives (between a 24 volt potential of two batteries in series and a discharged battery) giving a natural outlet for this energy to the discharged battery, as in the 3BGS. You can SEE it come out using simple meters. Voltage on the output side of the motor is several volts HIGHER than the voltage going into the motor. And you don't need an asymmetrical motor for it to work properly, or at least that is my experience. Off the shelf motors will work. However, I also believe more testing needs to be done. I will have to admit that one of the BEST runs I ever got on the 3BGS was using an asymmetrical motor I wound following UFO's plans.

Dave

Hello Dave,

Well, like you have said, to run an off the shelf motor, avoiding those forced reversed spikes...between your two positives...it works because you are allowing a path for them to go through...without staying in the motor armature.

I did it using another way, on my first Thread...when I was collecting the reversed Cycle from the pulsed coil, filtered through diodes...if you feed motor that way the results are very clear as well as in your set up.


Regards


Ufopolitics
__________________
 
Reply With Quote
  #460  
Old 05-15-2015, 10:02 PM
citfta's Avatar
citfta citfta is online now
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,296
Dufo is a very funny guy.

He got all outraged the other day when I posted something he didn't agree with on another thread. It was not even his thread. So after being very condescending towards me he tells me to go post in my own thread. Well here I am and he doesn't like that either. Tough, little baby, but you can't tell me what to post in my own thread. I have been respectful to not post in your thread so all I can say is if you don't like what I post here then use the ignore button. Or does someone need to teach you how?

Now back to the discussion about real BEMF. Now that we know what it is, what can we use that information for? For those that may have gotten lost in all the babble about "forced BEMF" let me post again what affects BEMF. BEMF is a result of basically 3 things. The strength of the magnetic field, the speed of the armature, and the number of turns of the armature coils.

There is also another factor that comes into play and that is the position of the brushes. If we get the position of the brushes correct we accomplish a couple of things. We want the position of the brushes to be arranged so that there is maximum reaction between the magnetic field of the field coils and the magnetic field of the armature coils. If we can accomplish that the motor will have the most torque for the amount of current drawn by the armature. This is of course because if we have the strongest reaction between fields then we also have the strongest BEMF.

Most industrial shunt wound DC motors have brushes that can be adjusted for what is called the neutral plane. This is that are where you get the most torque for a given armature current and also you get the least amount of sparking on the brushes. This gives longer brush life and a cooler running motor. And we get that by adjusting for the most BEMF or in other words the lowest armature current for a given load.

Can we use the information about BEMF to help us do other things? Suppose we want to rewind a motor to make it use less current. Since we know BEMF is a function of the number of turns in the armature coils we can use a smaller gauge wire and wind more turns and we would have a more efficient motor. But, we would also have a motor that has less torque unless we up the voltage to make up for the loss of current.

If we want a motor that has more torque then we wind the armature with fewer turns of heavier gauge wire and because of fewer turns the BEMF is reduced allowing more current to flow and thus the motor has more torque and more speed. So we gain torque and speed at the expense of using more current. This is basically what I see on this forum a lot. Someone thinks because their motor is faster and stronger they have a better motor. Maybe they do but most of the time all they have done is rewind it to use more current which is fine if that is what they want.

There are some things you can do to improve a motor or make it more suitable for your particular project. Matt Jones has designed a motor for the purpose of having a lot of torque and speed and also for generating some strong BEMF spikes. His modification to a regular scooter motor has accomplished all the above. I have run one of them for quite a while under heavy loads and it has gotten pretty warm but not hot. That is because he designed it to have some off time between pulses. He understood what he wanted to do and designed a motor to do that. His motor uses a little more current than an unmodified motor but it also produces a lot more speed and torque. His motor will easily spin loads the unmodified motor can't get up to speed.

If there is some interest shown about this discussion we can continue with questions and hopefully answers. If I am wasting my time trying to help new people wanting to know about motors then that is OK too. I have wasted a lot of time for more foolish things than trying to help someone learn.

Carroll
__________________
 
Reply With Quote
  #461  
Old 05-16-2015, 12:42 AM
citfta's Avatar
citfta citfta is online now
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,296
For those of you that would like to see first hand the effects of varying the strength of the field coils here are some ideas for you to try.

You will need an old cordless drill or other small cordless 12 to 18 volt tool. If you are like me you probably have a couple lying around that have bad batteries and the batteries cost more than a new one so now you have an old one and you don't know what to do with it.

Take it apart. Hopefully it will be made so the motor assembly will come out in one piece. After you get it out examine the wiring and find the wires that go to the field coils. Some motors may have magnets instead of field coils. If that is the case then it will not be usable for this experiment. You will need to find another one. When you find the field coil wires disconnect them from the rest of the circuit. Now you have a shunt wound DC motor and the fun begins.

You will need a 12 volt battery or maybe a 12 volt battery and a 12 volt power supply. The best thing would be to have two power supplies with adjustable output voltage, but I realize a lot of people won't have those.

If you are using a 12 volt battery you need to figure a way to control the voltage for two separate circuits. What our goal is is to have two sources of power we can control and adjust. One source will be connected to the field coils and the other source to the armature.

One other thing you will need is a way to measure the torque of the motor. You can get really fancy and build a prony brake. But that is not really necessary for just playing around with a small motor. What you can do instead is to use some heavy string and some different weights like some large hex nuts or very large washers. Anything really that you can attach to a string and vary the amount of weight.

We are going to use our simple prony brake like this. With the motor mounted solidly so it can't move and the shaft horizontal and hanging over the edge of a bench or what ever we are going to put our weight that is attached to the string on the floor under the motor shaft. Next wrap the string around the shaft in the same direction the shaft will be turning so that when the shaft turns it will pick up the weight. After making about 3 or 4 turns around the shaft, (The shaft has to be smooth) attach the loose end to something so it will not hang free. At this point you want the string to be loose on the shaft so it will slip when the shaft is turning.

Now you want to connect full power to the field coils and full power to the armature coils. This will give us our base torque reading. If you have a tach that would be nice but is not really necessary. After the motor gets up to speed you want to pull on the end of the string that does not have the weight on it. In other words you are going to tighten the string around the motor shaft so the motor will be picking up the weight. If the motor easily picks up the weight then repeat the test with more weight until you get a good idea how much weight the motor can lift without stalling out. This is our baseline measurement.

Now let's repeat the experiment but keep full field voltage and reduce the armature voltage. If you don't have an easy way to reduce the armature voltage you may be able to reuse the speed control that was part of the cordless tool you took apart. Or you can put an automotive bulb in series with the armature to reduce the voltage. Now see what kind of torque and speed you get. You should see reduced speed but almost the same torque because the field current is still full on.

For the next test do just the opposite. Keep the armature voltage at full voltage and reduce the field current. Be careful here and do not reduce it too much or you could easily have a run away motor or damage the armature because of too much current. If you can keep it at around 8 volts instead of 12 you should still be able to see a difference. When you apply power to the armature you should see that it now turns faster than the baseline speed. When you test the torque you will see that the torque has fallen off.

These are some simple ways anyone can play around with motors and learn more about how they work. Enjoy

Carroll
__________________
 
Reply With Quote
  #462  
Old 05-16-2015, 12:46 AM
Matthew Jones's Avatar
Matthew Jones Matthew Jones is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,732
"dufo", lol I love it. From Carroll too the most loving kind person I can think of. LOL

I got tears in my eye's I'm laughing so hard. LOL

Matt
__________________
 
Reply With Quote
  #463  
Old 05-16-2015, 12:58 AM
citfta's Avatar
citfta citfta is online now
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,296
Hey Matt,

I think I know why he doesn't want me trying to teach people about motors. If they learn how they really work then they will know he is full of cow poop. Did you get your big present you were looking for today? (A little birdie told me about it).

Carroll

PS: I also got some good news today too. Dave can tell you about it.
__________________
 
Reply With Quote
  #464  
Old 05-16-2015, 02:10 AM
mbrownn mbrownn is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by citfta View Post
Keep the armature voltage at full voltage and reduce the field current. Be careful here and do not reduce it too much or you could easily have a run away motor or damage the armature because of too much current. If you can keep it at around 8 volts instead of 12 you should still be able to see a difference. When you apply power to the armature you should see that it now turns faster than the baseline speed. When you test the torque you will see that the torque has fallen off.

These are some simple ways anyone can play around with motors and learn more about how they work. Enjoy

Carroll
This sounds counter intuitive, but makes sense.

With reduced field current, it is expected to have reduced torque under maximum load conditions. Under no load conditions less BEMF will be generated in the armature than in the previous experiment, so more effective voltage is across the armature than would be the case with fully energised field coils. This means we have more current in the armature, and higher armature torque under very low/no load conditions hence more speed. Correct me if I am wrong.
__________________
 
Reply With Quote
  #465  
Old 05-16-2015, 10:34 AM
shylo shylo is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 594
Hi Carroll, Now This is where I get lost, If the armature is at 12 volts ,let's say the winding is 10 ohms then the current should be 1.2 amps right?
So if I reduce voltage to 8 volts the same 10 ohms winding , then shouldn't the new current be .8 amps?
So how does reducing voltage increase the amperage?
I have an old generator out of a pre 60's car ,it has 2 field winding and 2 armature windings , I took it apart and it has 2 brushes but 1 is grounded right to the body. So the 3 pins in are F G and unmarked. I assume F is field G is generator unmarked is common ground?
Thanks artv

For the next test do just the opposite. Keep the armature voltage at full voltage and reduce the field current. Be careful here and do not reduce it too much or you could easily have a run away motor or damage the armature because of too much current. If you can keep it at around 8 volts instead of 12 you should still be able to see a difference. When you apply power to the armature you should see that it now turns faster than the baseline speed. When you test the torque you will see that the torque has fallen off.

These are some simple ways anyone can play around with motors and learn more about how they work. Enjoy

Carroll[/QUOTE]
__________________
 
Reply With Quote
  #466  
Old 05-16-2015, 10:34 AM
citfta's Avatar
citfta citfta is online now
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,296
You have it exactly right. And of course then the higher speed will generate enough BEMF to balance out the input current. And if you reduce the field current too much the motor will self destruct before it can reach a speed high enough for the BEMF to balance out the input current. That is why all industrial DC motor controllers have a safety circuit built in that will immediately shut off the armature voltage if the field current drops below a certain level.

Carroll
__________________
 
Reply With Quote
  #467  
Old 05-16-2015, 11:15 AM
shylo shylo is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 594
Sorry I think I misunderstood, So your saying that reduce the voltage and this reduces the amps? Because the resistance of the winding your feeding stays the same?
artv
__________________
 
Reply With Quote
  #468  
Old 05-16-2015, 11:49 AM
citfta's Avatar
citfta citfta is online now
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,296
Hi Shylo,

I am not sure I understand what you are asking, but yes if you reduce the voltage going to the armature then the amperage will drop and the motor will turn at a slower speed.

If your reduce the voltage going to the field then the current through the field will drop because as you said the resistance stays the same. However because of the weaker field the current through the armature will go up until the armature reaches a higher speed that will generate enough BEMF to balance the higher current going through the armature.

If that didn't answer your question then please clarify your question and I will try again to answer it.

Carroll
__________________
 
Reply With Quote
  #469  
Old 05-16-2015, 01:22 PM
shylo shylo is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 594
I think I see what your saying. Because the field windings produce a weaker magnetic field due to less current, the armature sees less opposition therefore it spins faster and creates a larger bemf?
Do the field windings create an opposite field when the supply is disconnected?
Sorry I'm not very good at expressing my thoughts.
Not sure if you saw my post ,since we posted at the same time.
Back 3 or 4 about the old generator?
Thanks artv
__________________
 
Reply With Quote
  #470  
Old 05-16-2015, 03:02 PM
citfta's Avatar
citfta citfta is online now
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,296
Hi Shylo,

I did miss your post about the generator. My post under that one was to mbrownn.

To answer your question about the armature current what you said would be correct if the armature is locked so that it can't move. Then the current would be a direct function of the voltage and resistance just like you calculated. And that is called the locked rotor current rating. This rating is used to calculate the protection device (fuse or breaker) that is needed to keep from burning up the motor.

However as soon as the rotor starts to turn because the rotor windings are moving in the field created by the field coils then the BEMF is generated which reduces the current going through the armature windings. As the armature turns faster and faster the BEMF increases until it balances out the applied armature voltage minus the power needed to power the load and overcome friction and other losses.

So if we reduce the field current then the BEMF being generated is less for the same speed so the armature current will go up until the faster speed is reached. At locked rotor the current is the same whether there is any field current or not. However the motor will have no torque and would not be able to turn the load and would quickly overheat if the protection device did not shut off the current to the motor. Although as I said industrial motor controls will not allow voltage to be applied if there is no field current. So there is a form of double protection there.

Thanks for your questions. Few free to ask for more help if anything is not clear.

Carroll
__________________
 
Reply With Quote
  #471  
Old 05-16-2015, 03:09 PM
mbrownn mbrownn is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by shylo View Post
I think I see what your saying. Because the field windings produce a weaker magnetic field due to less current, the armature sees less opposition therefore it spins faster and creates a larger bemf?
Do the field windings create an opposite field when the supply is disconnected?
Sorry I'm not very good at expressing my thoughts.
Not sure if you saw my post ,since we posted at the same time.
Back 3 or 4 about the old generator?
Thanks artv
With Universal type motors there are many different ways to wire them up, I think I have tried them all. Yes you can power the armature alone and the motor will still run. In this situation you can use both field coils as generator coils, but be careful not to exceed the continuous rated amps in the armature or it will burn up. I have never had an armature self destruct with overspeed because I switch off before that happens. I would recommend that people experiment with these motors with all the different combinations of wiring. There is so much to be learned from them.
__________________
 
Reply With Quote
  #472  
Old 05-16-2015, 03:19 PM
mbrownn mbrownn is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by citfta View Post
However the motor will have no torque
There is no contradiction here with what I said, it depends on the position of the brushes.

Sorry crifta for adding to your thread, I get quite excited with what you can do with this type of motor
__________________
 
Reply With Quote
  #473  
Old 05-16-2015, 03:37 PM
citfta's Avatar
citfta citfta is online now
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,296
Hi mbrownn,

Glad to have your contributions. That is what this thread is about. So all ideas are welcome here. It is for sharing ideas and thoughts. Sometimes I type faster than I think and vice versa. You may catch my mistakes and that is OK too.

If I recall correctly you were doing a lot of research on the Lockridge device. If that is correct, where you ever able to get that going or come close to getting it going? I still would like to do some work on that when I get some of my other projects finished.

I just found a very old, very big alternator made by Delco that has the three phases brought out to the outside so it must have been used with a separate set of diodes. I am not sure if it is of any real use but I am going to hold onto it in case I find some way to use it.

Later,
Carroll
__________________
 
Reply With Quote
  #474  
Old 05-16-2015, 04:26 PM
mbrownn mbrownn is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by citfta View Post
Hi mbrownn,
Sometimes I type faster than I think and vice versa.
Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by citfta View Post
If I recall correctly you were doing a lot of research on the Lockridge device. If that is correct, where you ever able to get that going or come close to getting it going? I still would like to do some work on that when I get some of my other projects finished.
Im still working on it when funds allow.

Briefly I had it motoring and generating on DC, AC and pulsed DC. Nothing overunity, but in some circumstances it was getting quite efficient. I posted about the DC operation of it here without referring to the lockridge device Interesting Motor

On AC I was able to get it to run but it was drawing huge currents and the output field coils had both an AC and a DC component. Obviously the AC effectively cancelled its self out.

After I modified the armature, I fed it DC and the pulsing was done by the armature. This resulted in both AC and DC in the output again, and this is something I am working on. I was able to recover some energy from the armature in the form of inductive kickback too. The exact wiring (series/ Parallel) of the four field coils I am not yet sure of. I need to get more figures from tests and replications to eliminate the possibilities.

One of the three possible solutions to the AC output is the trifilar coil which I havenít attached to the device as yet. There are also several possible functions of that coil too, so that remains a work in progress.

What I have learned is as follows:-

The geometry of the layout of the coils appears to be exactly as shown in PL's video, No symmetry.
One of the field coils is definitely the output and is at 90 degrees to one powered field coil.
The output coil has many more turns than the powered field coil, but the ratio remains undetermined.
The remaining two field coils may also be of the same ratio but their action is unlikely to be as a motor or generator. Its a transformer. This may also have something to do with sorting out the AC problem in the output coil, Think Magamps.

Let me know if you want to know more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citfta View Post
I just found a very old, very big alternator made by Delco that has the three phases brought out to the outside so it must have been used with a separate set of diodes. I am not sure if it is of any real use but I am going to hold onto it in case I find some way to use it.

Later,
Carroll
Not sure that would work, It needs to be the type of VW generater that was mentioned or a starter/generator like you get on tractors or golf carts, at a push a four pole starter motor, which is what I have been using.

I can say with confidence that the Lockridge device wasn't a hoax as reported by some, there are too many things that have come together and worked just from the pictures shown of it.

__________________
 
Reply With Quote
  #475  
Old 05-16-2015, 04:41 PM
citfta's Avatar
citfta citfta is online now
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,296
I didn't mean to imply I thought it would work for a Lockridge device. I just thought it was an interesting find. It sounds like you have made some good progress on the Lockridge device. Good luck on that. I will look at the link you posted and check it out.

Later,
Carroll
__________________
 
Reply With Quote
  #476  
Old 05-17-2015, 06:10 AM
padova padova is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 29
greetings

Citfa and company, what's yours game?
You so blindly wrote all kind of rubbish about DC asymmetric motors,
and yet here you are, in this forum. It seems that it is too late for you,
considering your ages, to change your mind, nothing wrong whit that, just add to that some respect
towards true researchers nothing more.
With these conventional BS know you're not going anywhere.
It's like you're stuck in the mud.
I can only figure it out what a bunch of **strubating monkeys can learn something from you.

I'm steel newbie here, but you people, in a few posts here are so offensive.
Even worse than one who just copied someones work and started new thread.
So funny.

I couldn't care less, anyway I'm not into motors. so it's just small observation, and it's just a part of that, the rest you figure out by yourself.
__________________
 
Reply With Quote
  #477  
Old 05-17-2015, 08:45 AM
mbrownn mbrownn is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by padova View Post
greetings

Citfa and company, what's yours game?
You so blindly wrote all kind of rubbish about DC asymmetric motors,
and yet here you are, in this forum. It seems that it is too late for you,
considering your ages, to change your mind, nothing wrong whit that, just add to that some respect
towards true researchers nothing more.
With these conventional BS know you're not going anywhere.
It's like you're stuck in the mud.
I can only figure it out what a bunch of **strubating monkeys can learn something from you.

I'm steel newbie here, but you people, in a few posts here are so offensive.
Even worse than one who just copied someones work and started new thread.
So funny.

I couldn't care less, anyway I'm not into motors. so it's just small observation, and it's just a part of that, the rest you figure out by yourself.
(snip) I cut my 5 minute rant as it would only pour fuel on the fire.

On asymmetry in motors, I dont understand what all the fuss is about, for any motor to work there has to be asymmetry in one form or another or the motor would not turn. I understand the use of physical asymmetry and some of the advantages it gives, thankfully the asymmetry I use seems to be sufficiently different as to not bother people too much.

@ padova, Im not attacking you or anyone else on this forum but its not good to use personal attacks on an open forum.
__________________
 
Reply With Quote
  #478  
Old 05-17-2015, 10:44 AM
shylo shylo is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 594
Hi Carroll, I was searching the web but didn't find how do you know the value of the bemf?
A simple video the guy said as soon as power is applied to a dc motor the windings generate opposite to the applied, subtract the opposite from the applied and that is how much voltage the motor is actually using to run.
100 volts applied , 85 volts opposite, so 15 volts going through the windings, and since the resistance of the windings doesn't change ,the current draw goes down.
But this is a waste of 85 volts.
Can a diode not block the bemf? But where would it go?
Also I seen a guy that said in generators the bemf is only produced when you attach a load. The coil creates its' own field when loaded that opposes rotation.
So why not just wind 2 coils CW & CCW draw off each coil at the same time so the one coil will oppose in one direction and the other in the opposite direction cancelling both oppositions?
Thanks for your help.
artv
__________________
 
Reply With Quote
  #479  
Old 05-17-2015, 01:00 PM
citfta's Avatar
citfta citfta is online now
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,296
Hi artv,

Well there probably isn't any easy way to measure the BEMF or calculate it. You could measure the current going to the armature and then if you knew the resistance you could figure the voltage drop across the armature and subtract that from the applied voltage to get the value for the BEMF. But the thing to remember is this value is going to change any time the load changes or the speed changes. So there really is no need to try and figure it out.

The video where the guy says as soon as power is applied the BEMF is generated is incorrect. The BEMF is only generated when the armature is turning. So for a short while the BEMF is not even there and only gets to full strength after the motor is up to full speed.

Your question about wasting 85 volts is a good one. Let me try to explain it this way. The BEMF acts like a governor to control the motor speed. Now let's say your car has a 500 HP engine in it. Now in normal driving you are the governor. You control how much of that HP is being used at any one time. Now let's say it takes 50 HP to move your car on level ground at 45 mph. Are we wasting 450 HP?

Now to your question about BEMF and a generator. First thing is most electricians refer to the loading of a generator as the Lenz effect and not BEMF. I know it is called BEMF on this forum and on Youtube a lot. But there is a lot of garbage both places. Now what would happen if we wind one coil clockwise and one counter-clockwise and install them in a generator. They will both produce drag on the generator when connected to a load. The only difference will be one will have the opposite polarity of the other. But the drag will still be the same.

I am enjoying our discussions and if you have any more questions just ask.

Later,
Carroll
__________________
 

Last edited by citfta; 05-17-2015 at 06:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
  #480  
Old 05-17-2015, 01:15 PM
citfta's Avatar
citfta citfta is online now
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,296
Hello padova,

By your own admission you are new to this forum. And your small number of posts confirms this. So you really don't know anything about me or anyone else on this forum. I am on this forum because I have seen with my own eyes things that didn't seem possible. I have been actively involved in building and working on many projects on this forum. So you are mistaken about me being stuck in the mud.

Now you have accused me of writing all kinds of rubbish about DC asymmetrical motors. Where did I write that? Show me one quote where I wrote rubbish about DC asymmetrical motors. You say you are not into motors so how do you know what is rubbish and what isn't. You are correct in your assumption that I have a problem with Dufo. I don't have a problem with his motor. My problem with him is because of his attitude and his constant belittling of anyone that doesn't bow down to him.

The burden is now on you. Show me where I wrote any rubbish about DC asymmetrical motors.


Quote:
Originally Posted by padova View Post
greetings

Citfa and company, what's yours game?
You so blindly wrote all kind of rubbish about DC asymmetric motors,
and yet here you are, in this forum. It seems that it is too late for you,
considering your ages, to change your mind, nothing wrong whit that, just add to that some respect
towards true researchers nothing more.
With these conventional BS know you're not going anywhere.
It's like you're stuck in the mud.
I can only figure it out what a bunch of **strubating monkeys can learn something from you.

I'm steel newbie here, but you people, in a few posts here are so offensive.
Even worse than one who just copied someones work and started new thread.
So funny.

I couldn't care less, anyway I'm not into motors. so it's just small observation, and it's just a part of that, the rest you figure out by yourself.
Carroll

By the way I don't have any "ages" I have only one. I am 69 years old and have worked on motors for over 50 years.
__________________
 

Last edited by citfta; 05-17-2015 at 02:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Please consider supporting Energetic Forum with a voluntary monthly subscription.

For One-Time Donations, use admin@ this domain > energeticforum.com

Choose your voluntary subscription

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v1.4.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2007-2015 Copyright - Energetic Forum - All Rights Reserved

Bedini RPX Sideband Generator

Tesla Chargers