Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magamps

To preface this thread, a quote by Eric Dollard:
    In my mind parameter variation at the second harmonic represents power but parameter variation at the third harmonic represents energy. These
    are just ideas, see Steimetz A.C. Theory book in his parameter variation
    chapters. The magnetic amplifier of E.F.W. Alanderson is definitely the
    way to go.
    A quote by John Bedini:
    The Germans already had over unity devices and were using them and the Mag Amp was at the root of that.
    A magnetic amplifier (magamp) is a specially designed inductor that allows for variable power flow with a small input much like a transistor. The magamp, in its simplest configuration, consists of at least two windings and a magnetic permeable core. One winding is is called the control winding and the other is the AC (power) winding.

The idea of operation is that one applies a small DC bias current to the control winding which in turn, saturates the permeable core and lowers the impedance (by lowering the inductance) of the AC winding. A simple illustration taken from Wikipedia can be seen below.

The fundamental components shown in the illustration above are a bit inefficient by themselves. Further modification needs to occur before one has minimum-energy-loss magamp.

When there are only two windings (AC and Control) on a magamp core, the AC winding will perform a transformer action on the control winding. This is undesirable for two reasons: the flux on the control winding will cause instability in the control winding bias and also, there will be unnecessary energy loss from the power winding. This can be eliminated by adding another AC winding wound in the opposite direction as the first and a couple of diodes. This can be seen in the illustration below.

For further reading about magamps, George Trinkaus has edited a paper which highlights the fundamentals of magamps which can be found here: http://www.themeasuringsystemofthego...amplifiers.pdf

Eric Dollard has developed the Four Quadrant Theory of Electricity. The Idea behind the four quadrants is there is a quadrant for inductive biased power consumption, a quadrant for capacitive biased power consumption, a quadrant for inductive biased power production, and a quadrant for capacitive biased power production.

Normally in electrical engineering, since steady state currents are "desirable", the quadrants of of of power production are not readily seen. It is only when one synchronously varies the parameters (capacitive or inductive) that the power production quadrants are achieved.

The following is an illustration and a quote by Energetic Forum member garrettm4:

The, 2x frequency, blue square wave shown is one of the control signals for the circuit and for the sake of discourse we will say it controls the MagAMP in the above circuit diagram. The green sine wave is that of voltage and is in a quadrature relationship with the purple sine wave of current and the black, 2x frequency, is that of power, something that will interest you is that the power waveform goes into both the top and bottom half of the graph, this represents reactive power or a surging to and fro of stored and returned energy. Something to take note of, is if, the black waveform is on one side or the other, top or bottom of graph with respect to the x axis, this would mean unilateral transfer of power is taking place, or simply power dissipating into a load. Dependent upon the actions taking place in the circuit, the power waveform can be any place between the two points of top/bottom or in between. Thus you could see in a device that returns more power than it consumes, such as in the circuit above, that the power wave form will be smaller on top and bigger down below where it is situated on the x axis. Thus the source input becomes a quasi-load and the load now a quasi-source. The understanding that power is a product of voltage and current, with phase angle taken into account, and the direction of its flow is fundamental in making one of these devices work. Now back to the blue control waveform as seen above, the current pulsed into the control winding of the MagAMP controls its relative saturation or capacity at any one moment in time. Thus you would saturate the core from the zero crossing / rise to peak portion of the purple wave and desaturate at the peak to fall / zero crossing portion. Thus inductance changed from L0, low inductance to L1, high inductance at the proper times.
    The illustration and description above describes what Mr. Dollard was referring to when he said "parameter variation at the 2nd harmonic represents power". The fundamental concept is to charge the inductor in a low impedance state and discharge in a high impedance state. This type of synchronous inductance variation is what will begin to produce a negative power factor.

Armagdn03 wrote a good series of posts that describe what is happening with the magnetic flux in the core. The posts start here: http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...tml#post144398 The posts continue on to the next page of the thread.

This thread has been started for the discussion of different magamp configurations and experimental results. There are many different variations of magamp cores. I personally will be starting out with a toroid due to availability issues. Any core configuration discussion is welcome so long as the control winding changes the inductance of the AC winding and the AC winding has minimal coupling to the control winding.

I encourage you all to google magamp cores and find distributors that are willing to sample their cores for R&D purposes. There are many out there and at worst case scenario, they will charge you for shipping and handling.

Dave

Good info! MagAmps are really a forgotten device that I have believed for some time may be an important key in getting to OU with certain devices. Very good to understand them.
    There is no important work, there are only a series of moments to demonstrate your mastery and impeccability. Quote from Almine

Comment

hi guys
      just to let you know we got some black sand and did some testing and it seems to be real high quality.
      it can be gotten locally from some mines in the area.
      we did some research and found out how to test it and it is high grade magnetic.

it makes great core material and can be cast with resin or epoxy so it is looking good fro some lindemann attraction motors and maybe an ecklin generator to go with it.

we just need the forms and wax then down first so the parts cast don't stick to bad.

also the static machine that quite working has done something to the plastic it is now very hard and brittle so there was or is some physical change that has occurred to the plastic.
      Martin

Comment

Martin,

What kind of tests did you do? Will you share some results?

My initial magnetite experiments proved to be pretty poor, but I also didn't cast the core EXACTLY like Peter Lindemann suggested. There is a fellow on the RomeroUK thread that did follow Peter's instructions and also came up with poor results. Maybe the good results come from using a "raw" form of black sand.

I did some magamp tests using a toroid this weekend, but I think there needs to be two magnetic paths in order to get the desired magamp effect. I didn't have time to construct my PIC based oscillator to control the AC frequency and the control winding frequency. So I can't say for sure if using a toroid works or not. It was a relatively small core so it might only work well at high frequencies that I may not be able to achieved with the microcontrollers that I have on hand. My next test will be using two relatively large E cores so that the frequency will be able to be lowered and there will be two flux paths.

Dave

Comment

I would not say forgotten , ignored maybe more like buried look it up there are many patents on it ,and they clearly sates that is generates more current then is used(to get it patented they had to use creative wording , but since people learned that its impossible they dismiss it right from the start , SM did use it , it could not be clearer , if humanity doesn't wake up it will be over soon ...

Lets clean house start at home exorcise your negative tough , i am not talking about a glass of water , there are 2 sides to a coin but if we are not willing to look on both side you can't evolve beyond it .

Comment

from what we found out about black sand there are several types and consistancy rates some are low magnetic and lots of impurities and some are very fine so according to the state assay office they can be sorted by different strengths of magnets.
            the magnets are passed over the sample at a distance, if it is attracted to a very weak magnet say at 1 inch away it is grade one then as the magnet gets stronger it should all be attracted if not what is left will have rare earths in it and not very magnetic at all.
            the first grade will hold allot of field and it gives up the field very rapidly as well so high frequency responce is good we still need to test it a bit more yet but i can see why it was mentioned for attraction motor rotors and for some field cores for coils.
            Martin

Comment

http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...rgy-motor.html

please read the former post by elias the tesla article in particular i have not seen this particular article before but it is directly connected to what i am working on.
              Martin

Comment

I thought I'd pop in and post this book for anybody who wants to know conventional theory on how mag amps work. http://ia700402.us.archive.org/29/it...Amplifiers.pdf
                So far from what I've read it's good!

Raui
                Scribd account; http://www.scribd.com/raui

Comment

Thanks Raui,

I found that book a while ago, but never got around to really reading it. It does have some very good info at first glance.

I have yet to really get to do any true magamp experimentation due to the fact that I have been out of town for the past three weeks. However, over the weekend, I did manage to develop an Arduino based sine wave generator that gives me a relatively smooth sine wave. I ran it into my audio amplifier which went into a transformer where I was getting about 100 VAC RMS out on the secondary. It lit 120 V bulbs with ease. This will be a jewel to experiment with (providing I don't burn it up) because I will be able to use the Arduino board to time my control winding ON/OFF with relative precision.

Dave
                  Last edited by Web000x; 09-28-2011, 02:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Web000x View Post
                    Thanks Raui,

I found that book a while ago, but never got around to really reading it. It does have some very good info at first glance.

I have yet to really get to do any true magamp experimentation due to the fact that I have been out of town for the past three weeks. However, over the weekend, I did manage to develop an Arduino based sine wave generator that gives me a relatively smooth sine wave. I ran it into my audio amplifier which went into a transformer where I was getting about 100 VAC RMS out on the secondary. It lit 120 V bulbs with ease. This will be a jewel to experiment with (providing I don't burn it up) because I will be able to use the Arduino board to time my control winding ON/OFF with relative precision.

Dave
                    Great.I keep fingers crossed. I have only simple sinewave wein-bridge circuit and small car audio amplifier 20W :-(. Did you rewound transformer primary to get 4 or 8 ohms resistance ?

Comment

Originally posted by boguslaw View Post
                      Great.I keep fingers crossed. I have only simple sinewave wein-bridge circuit and small car audio amplifier 20W :-(. Did you rewound transformer primary to get 4 or 8 ohms resistance ?
                      I'm not sure what the resistance of the transformer's primary is. I'll check tomorrow when I get back from being out of town. I'm not really worried about impedance matching at this point. When I get a good magamp configuration up and running, I might try some impedance matching.

Dave

Comment

9/30/2011 quote by Eric Dollard:
                        My interest in Russian paper is the equations, not the machines. It is
                        the compound differential forms. Use a damn Alexanderson Mag-amp, not
                        mechanical rotors, etc. Use harmonics of line frequency on the control
                        winding. Use a car alternator or other machine to generate them, not
                        solid state. Tune the control winding with a series condenser (watch for
                        high voltage)

I'm still going to use my audio amplifier for powering my magamps but will be using an attenuated signal for intitial tests as to not burn up my amplifier. Once I see exactly how to time this thing, I'll go the alternator route like Eric suggests.

I just got back in town so I'll start cutting transformers apart and rewinding them for my magamp tomorrow.

Dave
                        Last edited by Web000x; 10-01-2011, 12:58 AM.

Comment

I think at one point JB or some one on the 3GT thread pointed to this site:
                          Homemade Magnetic Amplifiers.

Comment

Hi guys! this is an interesting topic and if i would have the equipment i would start experimenting immediately, but all i have is a multimeter and a computer, so i did a simulation in EWB but it did not work properly. If anyone wants to try in real world, this is the schematic:

Yellow - voltage
                            Blue - current
                            Purple - function generator signal 120Hz

Do not connect anything to the ground - that was just for simulation purposes.
                            Wish luck to you all!

Dann

Comment

Originally posted by kapierenundkopieren View Post
                              Hi guys! this is an interesting topic and if i would have the equipment i would start experimenting immediately, but all i have is a multimeter and a computer, so i did a simulation in EWB but it did not work properly. If anyone wants to try in real world, this is the schematic:

Yellow - voltage
                              Blue - current
                              Purple - function generator signal 120Hz

Do not connect anything to the ground - that was just for simulation purposes.
                              Wish luck to you all!

Dann
                              Hey Dann,

This idea is based off of Eric Dollard's experimentally verified mathematical representation of electricity. EWB only simulates using "one side of the coin" so trying to run simulations of this stuff is not really concrete.

I have been periodically (between out of town jobs) working to put a magamp together. I have tried a couple of different approaches and haven't had much success in true inductance variation until last night. I just got back from the radioshack where I bought two identical transformers that I am about to hook in a configuration like this:

I tried cutting apart a microwave transformer and rewinding it in a "three-legged" configuration, but I think the geometry was a little off for being able to do it correctly. However, the illustration above shows promise.

Off to the lab..

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X