Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earth battery success

Hey guys,

I managed to get a joule thief to run an LED from an earth battery. Just Magnesium and Carbon (welding rod) buried (not deep at all) seemed to do the trick. About 2 metres apart and north south orientation (wouldnt work without it). Any advice as to how I can improve on this extremely simple design? I want my 70W fluorescent to light - thats the challenge and I know theres been some success with tubes before.

YouTube - ‪MrFlathunter's Channel‬‏

Sorry about the darkness. I'll do another vid tomorrow if anyones interested, so that you can see just how simple the setup is.

Anyway - I love it. The first free energy Ive ever seen, apart from the AV plug connected to ground trick.

Congratulations !

Does the job eh.
    I'm at a similar point with own batteries, you may have seen the zinc nail copper aluminium vid from the other day. Got 72hrs out of it til it went flat. The hilarity of all this, is that a quick squirt with some vinegar that was put in a bottle and the JT is still running again now
    I imagine your earth one may start to slow up with voltage creation...take a bucket and tip water on it to recharge !

Fascinating stuff. You may get comments like 'this is science from 2nd Grade'...the answer being 'and what have YOU done with that knowledge from school ?'
    It's all very liberating.

Comment

Originally posted by Slider2732 View Post

Congratulations !

Does the job eh.
      I'm at a similar point with own batteries, you may have seen the zinc nail copper aluminium vid from the other day. Got 72hrs out of it til it went flat. The hilarity of all this, is that a quick squirt with some vinegar that was put in a bottle and the JT is still running again now
      I imagine your earth one may start to slow up with voltage creation...take a bucket and tip water on it to recharge !

Fascinating stuff. You may get comments like 'this is science from 2nd Grade'...the answer being 'and what have YOU done with that knowledge from school ?'
      It's all very liberating.

Yeah - I'd agree that the Magnesium and Carbon in water is basic battery science. Lots of fun, and sadly i didnt do this experiment at school, but it certainly should be on the syllabus!! However, the Earth battery I believe works along different principles than Galvanic action - I need to do more tests to prove it, but Im fascinated by the idea of a battery with plates that dont corrode. Pretty much makes it an endless source of energy!

Ive been looking at Kelvins sea battery and other Earth batteries, and I keep reading reports that the metals dont corrode in properly constructed Earth and sea batteries - the energy coming freely from Telluric currents.

I imagine the telluric energy is the AC 1.5 V I can read on the multimetre rather than the 1.3V DC which I used last night to light an LED. I'll try rectifying the AC tonight with a germanium bridge and see if I can get any action from it.

Thanks for the vids slider - yeah, I saw your battery vid before I made my own one. Great stuff! I also watched a video with a guy speaking that seemed to be chatting about the ideas of Emerson which you had favourited. I love Emersons philosophy, so thanks again.

Keep the vids coming!

Comment

Batteries powered by water

YouTube - ‪Batteries powered by water‬‏

Signs and symbols rule the world, not words nor laws.” -Confucius.

Comment

Thanks for the link monsieur!

Ive made some progress - Heres a video showing the effect on the output that a few centimetres difference can make in the spacing of the electrodes:

YouTube - ‪MrFlathunter's Channel‬‏

Literally means the difference between an LED that works and one that doesnt. I dont think its just galvanic action here, if only for this reason.

Comment

Could it be that the wire used also becomes an antenna???

Comment

I heard that the earth batteries they used in old telecommunications carried on working even after the ground was completely dried out, therefore it doesn't seem to be Galvanic action anymore.
              Those seemed to have some kind of a coil in the ground though, and the plates in the ground were even insulated from the actual ground itself.. To me it sounds more like some kind of tesla wireless power system than plain chemical reaction.
              ‎"It's all in the MIND"

Comment

@ seth,

I am glad to see you got back to England OK.

Comment

Originally posted by xee2 View Post
                  @ seth,

I am glad to see you got back to England OK.
                  Thanks Xee! Its great to be back. I've missed messing around with everyone on here - just no time with the big move. But now Im back and ready for some tinkering.

Ive just seen your ''JT very very low power'' vid. Fantastic! Just need to order a goldmine toroid (anyone got a convenient link for UK delivery?) and whatever wire you're using for the toroid (are you using the original winds, or winding yourself? Which wire do you use?). Clearly your Joule Thief would be ideal for this ultra simple Earth battery.....

I'll be making some more tests and playing around with the electrode positions......perhaps a pyramid made out of carbon rods

Comment

Originally posted by seth View Post
                    Thanks Xee! Its great to be back. I've missed messing around with everyone on here - just no time with the big move. But now Im back and ready for some tinkering.

Ive just seen your ''JT very very low power'' vid. Fantastic! Just need to order a goldmine toroid (anyone got a convenient link for UK delivery?) and whatever wire you're using for the toroid (are you using the original winds, or winding yourself? Which wire do you use?). Clearly your Joule Thief would be ideal for this ultra simple Earth battery.....

I'll be making some more tests and playing around with the electrode positions......perhaps a pyramid made out of carbon rods
                    The cores are out of stock now but most any toroid should work. Wire is #28 AWG plastic coated but is not critical. Reducing resistor value will make LED brighter and should still work on current from earth battery. Minimum required voltage is about 0.8 volts from battery.

Comment

That's a brilliant video Seth, in more ways than one. Never would have thought that a small distance change in placement would produce such a difference
                      I'll have to give this a go too now !

Comment

Anything to do with electrode alignment?

@SETH

Could it be a North South or East West alignment of your electrodes? Just a thought.

Comment

Literally means the difference between an LED that works and one that doesnt. I dont think its just galvanic action here, if only for this reason.
                          Its not. A higher telluric current flow or lined up with the earths magnetic field better or both.

Comment

@ Xee

Thats a shame they are out of stock, but ive got plenty of ferrite toroids so i gather they'll be just as good. You give me everything i need for replication with your videos (perfect schematics with all questions answered) and i really appreciate it. I'll give it a try tonight because i think i already have the essentials.

@ Slider

Come and join the fun! I'd love to build a little pulse motor that'll run off the Earth battery, and Im sure you can help me

@ Different

It definitely works best on North South alignment. But depth is a sceond factor - the deeper I drive those carbon rods into the ground, the more milliamps i get. I dont know the angle of decline for true North for my location, but I figure i'll just keep going deeper and check the milliamp output.

Ive driven 5 carbon rods into the ground and they all add to the milliamps - highest I got was 3 and a half milliamps with 5 in a line. Im going to try some other geometries and see what results i get. Im also gonna order more welding rods!

Looking forward to seeing your Earth batteries guys - they are real easy and quick to do

PS at 3 and a half milliamps @ 1.5V

Comment

Have you tried to see if there is a difference between wet and dry ground?

Signs and symbols rule the world, not words nor laws.” -Confucius.

Comment

Working...
                              X