Captret - Perpetual Light with Dead Batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captret - Perpetual Light with Dead Batteries

Over at overunity.com i have been working on something i call the captret. Its a capacitor thats been modified to allow you to do things that the textbooks say you can't.

Captret - Capacitor and Electret

A simple video demo of me getting twice the Light from a LED for the price of only ONE charge.

YouTube - Captret PROOF OF OVERUNITY

Here is another video of the captret running a LED constantly.

YouTube - Captret LED Driver circuit

But the important thing to note is that when i'm using the "dead" 9 volt batteries the voltage goes down when first connected to the circuit but from there it goes up even though the LED is still connected as a load. The even more crazy part is that my "new" charged 9 volt batteries will drop when first connected to the circuit but keep slowly dropping, and this is what you would expect from any circuit but why does the dead batteries go up?
    All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer

hello ibpointless2

Must say great finding.
    Today I put un test your circuit and as you said with two dead 9V batteryes (one 7,01V and second 1,2 V), connected in series. When I put it in test, I noticed voltage drop to 4,6 V and still droping (think due so big difference in batterys voltage).

Will see tomorrow
    till then

Comment

Originally posted by sseti View Post
      hello ibpointless2

Must say great finding.
      Today I put un test your circuit and as you said with two dead 9V batteryes (one 7,01V and second 1,2 V), connected in series. When I put it in test, I noticed voltage drop to 4,6 V and still droping (think due so big difference in batterys voltage).

Will see tomorrow
      till then
      Yes that is way to big of a difference in battery voltage. The 7 volt battery is charging the 1.2 volt battery and that is the reason for the loss. Try it with the 7 volt battery only.

What i suggest is a series of dead batteries that add up to around 20 volts and just let it run non stop to see how long your LED will run for. The LED will get dimmer but should not go out.

Oh and one important thing i should note if you're trying to replicate this experiment! I used brand new 1uF @ 400 capacitors and before i hook up all the wires to the capacitor i pre-charge the capacitors + and - with a battery, you can use your source battery or a another battery with a voltage close to the source battery. The light sometimes will not turn on unless you pre-charged the capacitor. And a pre-charge is just a mere tap of the capacitor terminals to the battery.
      All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

Nice job ipointless, I played around with a 47uf cap and it all works as you said... could lead to some interesting experiments. I made some measurements and was able to light an LED with a .005ma current draw, not super bright but noticeably glowing. About as low as it gets and still light. Also found some interesting results with a pulsed input.

Great find ! keep up the good work !
        ________
        Genetically Modified Food
        Last edited by dragon; 05-11-2011, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon View Post
          Nice job ipointless, I played around with a 47uf cap and it all works as you said... could lead to some interesting experiments. I made some measurements and was able to light an LED with a .005ma current draw, not super bright but noticeably glowing. About as low as it gets and still light. Also found some interesting results with a pulsed input.

Great find ! keep up the good work !
          Thanks!

Yup its voltage that matters and not amps, but a .005ma current draw is impressive! I've made one version that ran the LED and charge another battery too, so yes some very interesting things can be made.

Hmm, pulsed imput? didn't think of doing that. I've had tought of connecting a joule thief to it but figure the amps would be too low.

So far i know is:

Voltage matters! around 20 volts is prefered.

using a 10uf instead of the 1uf does give off better light.

for some odd reason dead batteries work better? Makes a great circuit to use to recycle your dead batteries.

you don't have to use 9 volt batteries, AA or AAA and even button cells will work; the voltage in series just needs to be higher than 7 volts!

There is more than one way to hook it up.
          -you can twist both leads together and connect the top to both leads and it will work.
          -you can do top to + and vise versa

For some reason nothing gets warm or hot?

If your building one for the first time its best to use a capacitor that has been used at least once, a dead 9 volt battery with at least 7 volts and above on it, and a super bright red LED.

Aliagtor clips work best for making the connection to the top, for some reason solder wont stick and hot glue is not conductive.

Comment

Hi,

i replicated your setup as described using 3 AAA batts tostart with.LED lit..so then i changed to a 1.2AH 12V battery....ammeter in series from the battery..and also volt meter across the battery.

as i turned it on, LED lit brightly and still is..... also, over the course of perhaps 2 minutes.the current from the batt dropped from 21 mA to now at 0.824 mA( and still dropping )......but the voltage on the battery has increased from 12.62V to 12.64V

Comment

amps from battery 0.717 mA now..and battery voltage gone up to 12.65V

Comment

amp draw 0.517 mA.and voltage on battery gone up to 12.66V now... LED still lit of course.

also, i am not leaving the meters ON in case they interfere some how

Comment

Originally posted by rave154 View Post
                  amp draw 0.517 mA.and voltage on battery gone up to 12.66V now... LED still lit of course.

also, i am not leaving the meters ON in case they interfere some how

Wow great results!

Yes its best to leave the meter disconnected. What capacitor are you using?

Comment

Hi,

its a 10uF, 16V cap ( typical in circuit boards etc )

also the battery is a good condition 1.2AH 12V

also i did NOT pre-charge the cap

still @ 12.66V ( but i have a feeling its going to go to 12.67 )

amp draw @ 0.399 mA now

i put the scope on it....

putting just the positive probe of the scope ( ground of scope not attatched to anything ) onto the positive of the cap.....gave an AC signal...about 50Hz ( our AC is 60 Hz here )....but it was modulated up and down like crazy.... RMS value of voltage was about 112mV

Comment

amp draw 0.384 mA now... and heres some voltage measurements

V Across LED.. 1.81V

battery 12.66V

top of cap to cap+ .. 12.62V

top of cap to cap- ... 10.81V ( which i guess when added to the 1.81 across cap gives us 12.62V ?)

amp draw now @ 0.378mA

now this is a little odd....

putting my volt meter into AC Volts mode...

across LED 3.2VAC with the leads one way around...when i switch them. 0.0VAC

battery 0.0V ( no surprise there huh )

top of cap to cap+ ... 27VAC

top of cap to cap- .... 23VAC

Comment

ok...

amp draw now @ 0.359mA

and voltage on battery HAS gone up to 12.67V ( from 12.62 when started )

oh i should mention, the LE Dis lit nicely, not quite fully bright..but.kind of how they appear when used as an indicator.....just not FULLY bright

Comment

Originally posted by rave154 View Post
                          amp draw 0.384 mA now... and heres some voltage measurements

V Across LED.. 1.81V

battery 12.66V

top of cap to cap+ .. 12.62V

top of cap to cap- ... 10.81V ( which i guess when added to the 1.81 across cap gives us 12.62V ?)

amp draw now @ 0.378mA

now this is a little odd....

putting my volt meter into AC Volts mode...

across LED 3.2VAC with the leads one way around...when i switch them. 0.0VAC

battery 0.0V ( no surprise there huh )

top of cap to cap+ ... 27VAC

top of cap to cap- .... 23VAC

I got 3.2VAC too across my LED? my battery is two 9 volts in series to = 17.39 volts. My cap is 10uF @ 200 volts.

Comment

It runs a JT circuit very nicely at around 4 ma with a very bright output. The input to the cap is from a 1.2ah 6v SLA. Pretty impressive indeed.

Thanks for sharing your discovery, I can see this being used in all sorts of variations...
                            ________
                            Colorado marijuana dispensary
                            Last edited by dragon; 05-11-2011, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Truly amazing!

The captret might be AC by nature!
                              top of cap to + = 37.6 VAC
                              top of cap to - = 33.7 VAC
                              Across LED = 3.2 VAC

The battery voltage is only 17.39, how can it be higher and AC? Just amazing!

Comment

Working...
                              X