Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olive Oil Power

This is a great little article showing a few very powerful benefits of
    olive oil that isn't normally expected...

Scientists discover olive oil directly impacts genes to halt inflammation
    Scientists discover olive oil directly impacts genes to halt inflammation

by S. L. Baker, features writer

(NaturalNews) Research has been steadily accumulating that olive oil, a main component of the Mediterranean diet, has extensive health-protective properties. For example, phytonutrient components of olive oil have been found to be effective against breast cancer cells (http://www.naturalnews.com/025633_c...) and studies suggest the abundance of olive oil in the Mediterranean style of eating may be the reason that diet helps prevent depression (http://www.naturalnews.com/027265_d...). Now scientists have discovered that phenolic compounds in olive oil directly repress genes linked to inflammation.

This could be especially important in halting the dangerous effects of metabolic syndrome. Characterized by excess abdominal fat, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and high blood glucose levels, metabolic syndrome is linked to type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and early death.

Research published in the journal BMC Genomics investigated changes in genes mediated by olive oil phenols (which are most abundant in the extra-virgin varieties of olive oil). The double-blind, randomized study, headed by Francisco Perez-Jimenez from the University of Cordoba, involved 20 research subjects, all with metabolic syndrome. For six weeks, the patients did not take any supplements or drugs and they were all placed on similar low-fat, carbohydrate-rich diets. Then, for breakfast, they ate either a breakfast containing virgin olive oil with a high content of phenolic compounds or a similar breakfast with low phenol content.

The research team took blood samples after the meals to check for the expression of over 15,000 human genes. The results? The high phenol olive oil clearly impacted the regulation of almost 100 genes -- many of which have been linked to obesity, high blood fat levels, type 2 diabetes and heart disease.

"We identified 98 differentially expressed genes when comparing the intake of phenol-rich olive oil with low-phenol olive oil. Several of the repressed genes are known to be involved in pro-inflammatory processes, suggesting that the diet can switch the activity of immune system cells to a less deleterious inflammatory profile, as seen in metabolic syndrome," Dr. Perez-Jimenez said in a statement to the press. "These findings strengthen the relationship between inflammation, obesity and diet and provide evidence at the most basic level of healthy effects derived from virgin olive oil consumption in humans."

The ability of olive oil's phenolic compounds to reduce or prevent inflammation also provides a molecular basis for the reduction of heart disease observed in Mediterranean countries, where virgin olive oil represents a main source of dietary fat.

For more information:
    http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2...
    http://www.naturalnews.com/olive_oi...
    Sincerely,
    Aaron Murakami

Books & Videos https://emediapress.com
    Conference http://energyscienceconference.com
    RPX & MWO http://vril.io

Olive oil is fantastic, even when put on the skin. Thanks Aaron.
    Love and Blessings,
    DeAnn

Dr. DeAnn Upton, A.M.P.
    My PATHS Affiliate Website

Comment

The truth about olive oil is that is is healthy in small amounts, mostly for people living in countries with a lot of sun. For people living in temperate areas consumption of a lot of olive oil, in particular along with food that contains vitamin D, is absolutely no good - some info:

THE RIGHT FATS
      Both reduction of saturated fats and increase of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats contribute to the current widespread D deficiency.

The assimilation and utilization of vitamin D is influenced by the kinds of fats we consume.

Increasing levels of both polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fatty acids in the diet decrease the binding of vitamin D to D-binding proteins. Saturated fats, the kind found in butter, tallow and coconut oil, do not have this effect.1

D-binding proteins are key to local and peripheral actions of vitamin D. This is an important consideration as Americans have dramatically increased their intake of polyunsaturated oils (from commercial vegetable oils) and monounsaturated oils (from olive oil and canola oil) and decreased their intake of saturated fats over the past 100 years.

In traditional diets, saturated fats supplied varying amounts of vitamin D. Thus, both reduction of saturated fats and increase of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats contribute to the current widespread D deficiency.

Trans fatty acids, found in margarine and shortenings used in most commercial baked goods, would always be avoided. There is evidence that these fats can interfere with the enzyme systems the body uses to convert vitamin D in the liver.2

1 - Bouillon R, Xiang DZ, Convents R, Van Baelen H. Polyunsaturated fatty acids decrease the apparent affinity of vitamin D metabolites for human vitamin D-binding protein. J.Steroid Biochem.Mol.Biol. 1992;42:855-61.

2 - Enig, Mary G. Modification of Membrane Lipid Composition and Mixed-Function Oxidases in Mouse Liver Microsomes by Dietary Trans Fatty Acids. 1984. University Microfilms International. Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Link to the full article - The Miracle of Vitamin D

For truly healthy fats that do only good, use saturated fatty acids. You people in here seem to be very intelligent, so you should have no problems seeing through the US soy industry propaganda about the so-called healthfulness of unsaturated fats.

About the undocumented bull-s-h-i-t that olive oil being used a lot in the mediterranean countries: The Mediterranean Diet: Pasta or Pastrami?

I lived in Greece for 7 months when I was 17, and I saw very little use of olive oil in any meal, and a lot of milk fats like cream and butter as well as rendered animal fats, mostly from sheep.

Have fun

SpiriT
      Last edited by vril176; 08-04-2010, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Which Oils Should You Never Ingest?

An article by Caroline Barringer, N.T.P. in the July/August 2010 issue of the 'Well Being Journal' says that not only are fats necessary, but they are essential in maintaining proper health.

She writes: ...the safest fats for cooking (frying, baking, broiling, grilling, and roasting) are (in preference order) :
        Lard; Ghee; Beef and lamb tallow; Chicken, duck, and goose fat; Coconut oil - organic and virgin; Red Palm Oil - organic and virgin (palm kernal oil is also acceptable.

Safer for cooking (quick stir frying, light sauteing, and slow/low simmer:
        Olive oil (unfiltered is best-should be golden yellow/green in color and cloudy); Peanut oil, Avocado oil; Macadamia Nut oil; Sesame oil

Unsafe for any kind of heat exposure - do not use for cooking:
        Vegetable/Soybean oil; Corn oil; Flax oil; Hemp oil; Pine nut oil; Pumpkin oil (roasted or raw); Safflower oil; Sunflower oil; Grapeseed oil

The following oils are unsafe to consume under any circumstances:
        Canola oil; Cottonseed oil

She also writes that you should not forget about the health benefits of using good old fashioned butter - especially organic and most especially raw butter.

So make sure you read your labels and make sure you are using the right oils for maximum health and nutritional benefit.
        Blessings on the journey, Glenn
        PLEASE HELP JEANIE FUND HER CANCER TREATMENTS
        Handmade Ceramic Gifts
        Discover-PATHS
        [

Comment

Hello everyone! Well, I'm no scientist but I live in Spain, so we know a bit about olive oil here.

I can't say anything about olive oil use in Greece, I've never been to Greece, but here in Spain it's everywhere. Most restaurants use it to cook, especially restaurants that serve traditional Spanish food (McDonald's probably does not use it! ). A typical breakfast could be toast with raw extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkling of salt, sometimes you can also put tomatoes on the toast too, you can make it at home or get it at any café/cafeteria that serves breakfast.

For lunch and supper you would probably have a salad and guess what? Do you use salad dressing from a bottle? Noooo. You would just use olive oil, if that gets boring you can also throw on a bit of vinegar and some herbs like basil.

In summer (although I like it all year round!) people make a puré or vegetable "juice" called gazpacho which is made with tomatoes and other veggies, it's similar to V8 I think, and then you always pour in a tiny bit of raw extra virgin olive oil. Ditto for cooked vegetable purés.

As I said, we're not scientists, but everyone here has noticed that Spanish people rarely ever get skin cancer (or lots of other cancers for that matter) whereas foreign tourists, especially from cold northern countries, are always getting sunburns and skin cancer. Most Spanish people get very tanned too, even the few "blonde" Spanish people I know get very dark in the summertime. Yet they don't get cancer.

Spain has the most longevity of any country in the world after Japan. Although people are always speculating on the reasons for this (such as genetics, Spain having a more stress-free lifestyle than northern countries such as the US or Britain where people must work a lot and are always worried about money, have no time, etc.), but I'm sure olive oil must have something to do with this!

Anyways here is a website specializing in anything to do with olive oil:

Amazing Olive Oil - So much more than a salad and cooking oil.

Cheers!
          Psychic Empowerment for Spiritual Growth: http://www.seasofmintaka.com/
          Soul Realignment, Intuitive Healing, Natural Cosmetics, Travel, Walks in the Country and Just Some Good All-Round Blogging: http://theseasofmintaka.com/

Comment

Oooh, I forgot to add. Since most oils come from local sources (local plants or animals), I think, personally, that the oils naturally available in each region of the world are naturally adapted to helping to protect the people indigenous to that region from whatever dangers might be there.

For example, coconut oil comes from tropical countries, so it must be veeeeeeeery protective from the sun. Olive oil also comes from countries with a lot of sun. Both have veeeeeery little polyunsaturated fat.

On the other hand polyunsaturated oils come from cold countries, like sunflower oil or safflower oil or things like that. So they don't provide any sun protection or repair sun damage.

So I suppose, traditionally, people used whatever was locally available and everyone was groovy! But nowadays, oils have become a fad and people in all parts of the world use whatever oil has become trendy at the moment. And these days people are migrating more than ever, people from cold countries now live in hot countries, people from hot countries live in cold places, etc. So no one has the faintest idea what they should use anymore!

Personally, when I was little my parents SWORE by Crisco! And you just can't imagine the variety of health problems we always had all the time, and which no doctor could cure. I moved to Spain and they all miraculously disappeared. So I wrote to my parents and told them to jettison the Crisco and get extra virgin olive oil. They decided to do a half-half, they used Crisco for cooking and seasoned their salads with olive oil. Well half-half actions get half-half results, their health improved but their medical problems didn't just disappear.

Olive oil is pricey in cold northern lands! Here in Spain you can get good offers.
            Psychic Empowerment for Spiritual Growth: http://www.seasofmintaka.com/
            Soul Realignment, Intuitive Healing, Natural Cosmetics, Travel, Walks in the Country and Just Some Good All-Round Blogging: http://theseasofmintaka.com/

Comment

Olive Oil in general is a poor choice for popping corn as it produces an off flavor. If it is nutrition you are worried about use an air popper. If flavor is the issue use vegetable oil or the best choice is coconut oil.
              Hydraulic jacks Hydraulic jacks Hydraulic jack

Comment

Olive oil is a best for a hair,you do a massage with oil regular and it help to growth your hair and Olive oil is a natural juice which preserves the taste, aroma, vitamins and properties of the olive fruit,this best for heart disease and cancer.
                healthy hair products

Comment

Olive oil is truly "Liquid Gold". It is used not only for cooking but it can be used as a home remedies, cleaning agent, as a beauty aid. It Reduces blood pressure,Inhibit the growth of some cancers,Benefit people at risk for or with diabetes and everywhere in between. It is a versatile product.

Comment

Olive oil is very healthy for human body, The beneficial health effects of olive oil are due to both its high content of monounsaturated fatty acids and its high content of antioxidative substances. Studies have shown that olive oil offers protection against heart disease by controlling LDL cholesterol levels while raising HDL levels.
                    generic xanax

Comment

We often use olive oil in cooking special when cooking vegetables. Also we use it when we making pizza's. I didn't know that it was that real good. I only know that nutrition value on the sticker of the container. Thanks for that great information.
                      Low Cost Desalination

Comment

One more, I usually use olive oil to cook pasta. It's so delicious and healthy.
                        The Energy Tomorrow, In Your Home Today!

Comment

Yes,Olive oil is good for dry skin,it is antibacterial and antioxidants oil.Olive oil is a skin moisturizer.

Comment

Figures show that people over 65 who use olive oil for cooking and on salads and bread are 41 per cent less likely to suffer a stroke.It can also help protect against other health problems, such as diabetes, high-blood pressure, high-cholesterol and obesity.This scientific breakthrough could help prevent some of the 120,000 strokes suffered by Britons every year.

Olive oil staves off stroke in the elderly - Telegraph

Comment

This is great to learn this about olive oil! I love adding it to vegetable salad with some lemon juice and black olives and eat it every day.
                              I guess I should even increase the daily dose of olive oil.
                              Family tree maker

Comment

Working...
                              X