Magnetic pumping gravity assisted wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnetic pumping gravity assisted wheel

These ideas come to me after watching the video posted by Rickoff.
    A prototype of a mechanical mimic of a “Swinging Gym” may give us free energy directly from the shaft.
    The change of the centre of gravity overcomes friction and increases the potential energy.
    Theoretical, it will add the “acceleration gain” at each revolution, and disintegrate unless we tap some energy on it.
    Reality is that we have to use a force to switch the weight against gravity and centrifugal force.
    Permanent magnets may work.
    My questions are?
    1- The repulsion force will reduce the velocity of the weight when it reaches the magnetic field or will only push it inwards thru the rod decreasing the amplitude but maintaining velocity enough to reach the top?
    2- What will be the ideal size and shape of the saddle magnet?
    3- Less magnetic field at entrance and a field just strong enough to avoid period braking will accelerate the weight up? ( When we push two magnets in repulsion they fly away)
    4- What are the physics of those movements and directions of escape in the mag field?
    5- There will be a geometry that will push the weight up, or at least don´t disturb the RPM?
    First I thought on the setup with magnetic shield, more elaborate and that avoids the adversity of repulsion of the period, while shortening the radius.
    It is a device that can be miniaturized, and I am inviting everybody to try it out and feel free to develop it if viable.
    Thank you
    David

The Swinging Gym posted by Rickoff:
    YouTube - Dennis Barber Swinging Gyms Hanbury Steam Rally Stoke Prior Fair 19th September 2009

Comment

An ingenious idea indeed, and very nice schematics.

In picture 3, will the stator magnet not also slow down the rotational speed of the swing?
      If you find any situation where you can use permanent magnets to input more potential (height) energy than it extracts kinetic energy, you have passed the OU threshold. Hundreds of researchers will build your design.

Comment

Hi David,
        I have done some testing of similar ideas on my bike wheel set up, with little success, but time spent was enjoyable just the same. I could never avoid the sticky spot at the point of change from attraction to repulsion, although my wheel was rotating in a horizontal plane at the time and not taking advantage of any gravitational assist. In looking at your drawings two things come to mind.

1- you have a large imbalance, which I'm sure gravity would like, but bearings maybe not so much. Perhaps not as much imbalance is needed and might be accomplished by adding a second spoke opposing the first. The two sliding P-magnets could be connected by a rod and would be working together.

2- Now this one may be way out there, for I have very little electrical knowledge, and would very much complicate the build. But perhaps someone here could set me straight on this, for there are many bright thinkers here. I see in a two spoke set up, sliding magnets moving four times in each revolution. Now here is the big IF, if these magnets were sliding inside a coil might a electrical pulse be produced, stored in a capacitor, and dumped to a solenoid to some how assist in getting past the sticky spot?

Best to you, Gene

(Thinker + Tinker + F.E.)

Comment

Originally posted by gene gene View Post
          Hi David,
          I have done some testing of similar ideas on my bike wheel set up, with little success, but time spent was enjoyable just the same. I could never avoid the sticky spot at the point of change from attraction to repulsion, although my wheel was rotating in a horizontal plane at the time and not taking advantage of any gravitational assist. In looking at your drawings two things come to mind.

1- you have a large imbalance, which I'm sure gravity would like, but bearings maybe not so much. Perhaps not as much imbalance is needed and might be accomplished by adding a second spoke opposing the first. The two sliding P-magnets could be connected by a rod and would be working together.

2- Now this one may be way out there, for I have very little electrical knowledge, and would very much complicate the build. But perhaps someone here could set me straight on this, for there are many bright thinkers here. I see in a two spoke set up, sliding magnets moving four times in each revolution. Now here is the big IF, if these magnets were sliding inside a coil might a electrical pulse be produced, stored in a capacitor, and dumped to a solenoid to some how assist in getting past the sticky spot?

Best to you, Gene

(Thinker + Tinker + F.E.)
          Hi Cloxxki:

I will be happy if any of my ideas will do well to the world.
          I hope that will accelerate up and pump it, instead of braking the rpm.
          Only a prototype will show that.

Gene:
          Attraction on the downside where gravity works will reduce acceleration.
          I am showing one arm but we can put as many spokes as you can between the rim and axle.
          Connecting the arms may work. Attached is a picture with the idea.
          We can even double the spokes, side by side and connect tem thru the inside of the arms. I am working on a drawing.
          David
          Last edited by Matos de Matos; 07-15-2010, 01:52 PM.

Comment

The setup showed with multiple spokes and rod connecting sliding magnets inside the arm.

Comment

The repulsion field closer to the sliding magnet and at contact, with a weaker field. This may reduce damping.

Last edited by Matos de Matos; 07-16-2010, 01:18 PM. Reason: misswording

Comment

There are 3 problems with this concept that would need to be overcome for it to function. However, they are not insurmountable.

1. At the top of travel, the magnet used to provide the lift will also tend to attract the rotor and absorb its momentum by applying negative torque as the rotor magnet leaves it's proximity.

2. At the bottom, there is an opposing field that applies negative torque similar to #1 above, but for opposite reasons.

3. Aluminum rails will hamper rotor magnet motion due to inductance.

It is possible to pit the magnetic field and gravitational fields against each other to get a gain. See YouTube - AdminOnDuty's Channel
                and FizzX.org :: View topic - Magnetically Assisted Pendulum for more info.
                "Amy Pond, there is something you need to understand, and someday your life may depend on it: I am definitely a madman with a box." ~The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                X