Home Made Deep Cycle Batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Made Deep Cycle Batteries

It strikes me that to successfully use John Bedini’s 10 pole energizer, or even off grid solar you would need 1 or 2 large deep cycle battery banks, which buying off-the-shelf would be very expensive. The idea for this thread is to share and discuss homemade deep cycle batteries.
    Has anyone made any batteries, what did you use and what were the results like?

might be way out in left field

Its a good question John_g. I've wondered at this as well. Sadly, I have nothing really substantial to contribute to the topic.

I have had some thoughts while working with an earth battery i've placed into the ground beneath my mobile home. (6 - 1' x1/2" thick copper pipe rods for positive and 6 - 1'x1' sheets of galvanized metal placed a distance from one another) Is there a way to make a literal earth battery that uses anode and cathode with earth as the electrolite (possibly ph adjusted) in a contained space? Could it be done without causing environmental harm or to produce usable current?

So i really do nothing but add to your questions and offer some food for thought. Hope someone with more experience on the matter chimes in.
    EnergeticTube.com - Where technology goes Live!
    ETaffairs.com - Your Portal Here on Earth

Comment

The expense..

Originally posted by john_g View Post
      It strikes me that to successfully use John Bedini’s 10 pole energizer, or even off grid solar you would need 1 or 2 large deep cycle battery banks, which buying off-the-shelf would be very expensive. The idea for this thread is to share and discuss homemade deep cycle batteries.
      Has anyone made any batteries, what did you use and what were the results like?
      The best method I have found is to goto those who are getting rid of their golf cart batteries ( they swap them out every so often because of the age factor ) and purchase good used golf cart batteries that are starting to decline. ( due to natural sulfation process ) they still hold amps and you can check to verify that they are good which saves you many an hour charge / discharging batteries that may be no good to begin with. I have gotten these for the price of the lead about 20 -$30 a shot. These being 125 amp hour batteries I consider that to be a great deal. I don't believe I could make my own for that kind of a deal.

I once considered fork lift batteries, but the extreme weight, and the thoughts of what if a cell goes bad has stopped me from doing that. It is much easier to build up a bank of batteries and replace a single battery if it goes bad than if you have a cell go bad on the fork lift battery.

I have seen sites where people have made their own batteries, but with so many used batteries available, I don't see it viable, I make friends with a golf cart dealer. that way when one of these batteries go bad you simply say hey can you swap me this bad one for one of the other ones you have. I have found 3 dealers that will do that with me, and it works awesome.

I have purchased more alum, and I intend to experiment more with conversions. So far this has been the best way for me to go.
      See my experiments here...
      http://www.youtube.com/marthale7

You do not have to prove something for it to be true. However, you do have to prove something for others to believe it true.

Comment

Golf Cart Batteries

Originally posted by theremart View Post
        The best method I have found is to go to those who are getting rid of their golf cart batteries ( they swap them out every so often because of the age factor ) and purchase good used golf cart batteries that are starting to decline.
        I second that, They're the best used batteries. They can be rejuvenated with help of J.B energizers. I believe that most of them are 6V. Unfortunately, where I live, you can't get them despite several golf courses around. They have to return them to the supplier in order to get the new ones.

Vtech
        'Get it all on record now - get the films - get the witnesses -because somewhere down the road of history some bastard will get up and say that this never happened'

General D.Eisenhower

http://www.nvtronics.org

Comment

The easiest thing to do, if you can't buy or find a battery, is to build a Leyden jar. They are simple to build, and you can build any size needed. They should be able to handle any amount of current and will store it just as a battery or capacitor. They are now in the process of building some very large capacitors that will make batteries obsolete. Good Luck.. Stealth

Comment

Batteries

Originally posted by Stealth View Post
            The easiest thing to do, if you can't buy or find a battery, is to build a Leyden jar. They are simple to build, and you can build any size needed. They should be able to handle any amount of current and will store it just as a battery or capacitor. They are now in the process of building some very large capacitors that will make batteries obsolete. Good Luck.. Stealth
            Hi Stealth interesting what you said. Where I can find info on these Leyden jar Batts?
            Thanks

Comment

Leyden Jars

Wikipedia has a good illustration on Leyden jars. They have been around for thousands of years. Although they are closer to being a capacitor than a storage battery. Both do basically the same thing, store electricity. Hope this helps. Good Luck.. Stealth

Comment

I thought a Leyden jar was essentially like a big capacitor that can store high voltage but is not a source of continuous heavy current like you might need for powering an inverter and running household devices. I could be wrong but I think with a Leyden jar you are going to have very short term storage of voltage.

I can't currently afford a Bedini charger like the ones he sells but I'm trying to get some ideas of the best way to build something similar so I can salvage car, marine or golf cart batteries. As far as I know used batteries are probably going to be cheaper than building your own.
                There is no important work, there are only a series of moments to demonstrate your mastery and impeccability. Quote from Almine

Comment

John Bedini's comments about making batteries:

Battery charging, chemical reaction.
                  When charging a source such as pure DC, or a battery charger is
                  charging the battery, the SO4 comes off both plates and joins with
                  the H in the electrolyte to form H2SO4. The H2O breaks up and the O
                  goes to the positive plate, where it joins with the Pb to form lead
                  peroxide (PbO2). This is very important.
                  Battery discharging,
                  The chemical action in a battery while discharging joins with the Pb
                  to form lead sulfate (PbSO)on both plates. The O, on the positive
                  plates join with the Hydrogen (H) in the electrolyte to form (H2O) As
                  the battery discharges, the percentage of water in the electrolyte
                  contains high percentage of H2O.
                  The electrolyte is a mixture of approximately 64 percent water (H2O)
                  and 36 percent sulfuric acid (H2SO4).
                  Do the experiment and watch what happens.
                  Take two pieces of lead, place them in a jar of some type, apply a
                  small current, the positive plate will build lead peroxide (PbO2)
                  without this you will not have a battery, The negative plate will be
                  sponge lead. This only takes 10 minutes to see what is going on.
                  The crude way to make acid,
                  If you wanted to make your own H2SO4 get sulfur and boil in a test
                  tube, then run the gas through distilled water in another bottle, the
                  final product is H2SO4.
                  I think you will find Dave's cell working this way.
                  John
                  Humility, an important property for a COP>1 system.
                  http://blog.hexaheart.org

Comment

If you gonna build a Battery you have to not only factor in the cost for material you have to factor in the amount of power its going to take to format it.
                    Best bet is get solar or wind setup on a small scale before get started. You can easily pay for it while formatting the batteries.

The best advantage to building your own, is the size you can achieve. If you got the time and resources you can build a battery that can power your home or shop or weeks.
                    The amount of lead and acid needed, is to large to ship, but by constructing it yourself the available power is the limit. They also don't need be pasted if you think your going to keep them stationary after construction.
                    They can also be built using radiant generators (Monopoles and the like). And they will far out perform what is expected of a factory battery

I have never built a large scale one, but I am collecting material to get them started. The only thing we don't have is Acid at the moment. We are also looking into any rules set forth by the EPA, as we don't want to find ourselves in a situation where we are going to get fined.

But all in all you have to weigh your needs. Prebuilt batteries are very competitive with self construction as far cost goes. Its not the material
                    that costs, it the energy used to make them.

Thats what you gotta weight

Matt
                    Last edited by Matthew Jones; 02-27-2010, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Hi All
                      Thanks for the various inputs. Found this PDF on rebuilding batteries from 1922:

http://www.zetatalk.com/energy/Rebui...1922-Witte.pdf

Also see there is an e book for sale on making batteries. It looks pretty comprehensive - be good to know if anyone has read it?
                      Battery Builder's Guide by Phillip Hurley

Comment

The battery builder book is pretty good. I bought it read this afternoon.

He gives alot of good detail.

Thanks John

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Jones View Post
                          The battery builder book is pretty good. I bought it read this afternoon.

He gives alot of good detail.

Thanks John

Matt
                          Matt

Thanks for that I will buy a copy.

Regards

John

Comment

I have given this much contemplation, but not to much research of facts.

It appears that home made batteries are best in stationary applications. I hear that serious amp hour cells are glass cylinders with horizontal plates separated by glass matte. They are 2v per cell.

Im wonder what makes a battery "Deep Cycle"?

Comment

JB on Battery building

I found these post's from John Bedini about battery building.
                              The way I see JB's post's. It contains all the information needed. That was all I could find about this subject.

Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:09 am Re:
                              Building A Lead Acid Battery
                              To All,
                              A little Preview, of what is wrong with a storage battery, It's the material
                              they add to make the plates strong. when making storage batteries you would want the power you put into that battery in amp hours out. Another words if you put 1 amp hour in you want 1 amp hour out, in 1955 batteries did this as I have book's that say that. so this battery is going to be untreated lead, so yes it's very soft. Most batteries have a time limit in
                              years only because of the space under the plates and cheap insulators. The battery I'm making will not be very big but it will do the job. I will take this battery right to a dead condition and then just charge right back up, then we will show all the chargers working with this battery. This information could save your life in the end.
                              John

Sun Mar 2, 2008 9:58 am
                              Re: New file uploaded to Bedini_SG
                              Battery charging, chemical reaction.
                              When charging a source such as pure DC, or a battery charger is
                              charging the battery, the SO4 comes off both plates and joins with
                              the H in the electrolyte to form H2SO4. The H2O breaks up and the O
                              goes to the positive plate, where it joins with the Pb to form lead
                              peroxide (PbO2). This is very important.
                              Battery discharging,
                              The chemical action in a battery while discharging joins with the Pb
                              to form lead sulfate (PbSO)on both plates. The O, on the positive
                              plates join with the Hydrogen (H) in the electrolyte to form (H2O) As
                              the battery discharges, the percentage of water in the electrolyte
                              contains high percentage of H2O.
                              The electrolyte is a mixture of approximately 64 percent water (H2O)
                              and 36 percent sulfuric acid (H2SO4).
                              Do the experiment and watch what happens.
                              Take two pieces of lead, place them in a jar of some type, apply a
                              small current, the positive plate will build lead peroxide (PbO2)
                              without this you will not have a battery, The negative plate will be
                              sponge lead. This only takes 10 minutes to see what is going on.
                              The crude way to make acid,
                              If you wanted to make your own H2SO4 get sulfur and boil in a test
                              tube, then run the gas through distilled water in another bottle, the
                              final product is H2SO4.
                              I think you will find Dave's cell working this way.
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X