Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tesla's mysterious Phantom Streams

Greetings all from South Florida...

For the last 10 years, I have been experimenting quietly with a little-pursued aspect of the work of Nikola Tesla - Pancake Coils. I have found some extraordinary properties of these coils, the most fascinating of all the incredible array of electrical discharges such coils can produce. To date I have wound more than 150 successful versions of these coils, and probably an equal number of failures (if not more). This work started after uncovering a series of hidden underground rooms from 1897 in the home of early Tesla Coil and X-Ray Pioneer Thomas Burton Kinraide.

Original Kinraide Coil Spark Photo

In Kinraide's home we found the earliest known Tesla Coils from the 1890s (built by Kinraide), and over 500 glass plate negatives of highly detailed rare electrical discharges. Kinraide is perhaps the only person in history to study (and understand) high frequency discharges to the degree of Tesla.

Over the last two years, I have been uncovering some very unusual traits of one particular form of discharge - the "Phantom Streams" - and many new and unusual experiments can be made with them.

Phantom Streams and peculiar sparks

I've been consistently reproducing Kinraide and Tesla's work in these areas, and have sold a few dozen of these coils to researchers around the world for further study.

I want to make it perfectly clear up front that I have not at any time encountered any forms of free energy in this research, or have ever encountered output powers greater than the applied input powers of these apparatus, or phenomena that can't be explained by traditional science. I say this in effort to be completely honest with my research. I'm not looking for free energy, my efforts have been to simply reproduce as closely as possible the work of Tesla and a few rare contemporaries as Kinraide. (I find a lot of people interested in Tesla attempt to run before they can walk...which is why I focus on his early work, where he obtained the bulk of his electrical knowledge). I have a working knowledge of over 350 antique apparatus from the 1890s, having collected these items my entire life. For the last decade my research has consumed an even greater amount of time than my normal 40-hour work week...well over 300 days per year into the long hours of night. Its been very rewarding, but has taken its toll on me
    as it would anyone.

This past week I have finally reached the efficiencies claimed by Tesla with the capabilities of these coils - I have witnessed a complete 360 degree spherical mass of electrical discharges 24" in diameter from a coil consuming only 30 watts of power from a standard 110V circuit. This proves that just because a concept is old, it is far from archaic.

The discharges are too faint to be accurately captured on camera, but a good idea of their appearance in general is here:
    Phantom Streams from Pancake Coil

The thickness of the streams can reach 1/4" or more when produced properly. I have a found a novel way of showing the faint streams presence on camera with the help of a special turn of the century Geissler Tube in this Youtube video:
    YouTube - Phantom Streams from Pancake Coil documented using Turn of the Century Oscilloscope Tube

A technical analysis of the characteristics of these and other streams is being prepared. The whole formation of electrical sparks is exhaggerated in these streams and shown visibly for the first time in over a century. The brush discharge starts off oscillatory, but as power levels are small the rest of the discharge gives way only to the positively charged leaders of the sparks in a process normally happening too quickly to see in larger apparatus. I will be exhibiting many of these coils live at upcoming lectures in the future, along with scientific analysis of how they work from an engineering perspective.

The peculiarities of the discharges offer some insight into the possibilities of new applications for high frequency coils. They also offer some historical insight into the real work and research Tesla was doing in the mid to late 1890s in New York.

Jeff Behary
    The Turn Of The Century Electrotherapy Museum

thank you Jeff!

this has to be one of the most rewarding and amazing 1st post in a thread
    I've seen in quite a while, and I really wish I could get there to see your
    accomplishments. thank you for sharing the results of your dedication.

I know you say it's not OU, but maybe you have some pancake coil insights
    that might 'spark' an idea for someone else that's studying Tesla.

tak

Comment

amazing

wow ... underground rooms... ancient technology ...
      current research..
      This is an incredible story.

I think this sort of work is extremely valuable in that the ability
      to visualize these field interactions, and arcs, the the effects
      different coil geometries, etc. have, will lead to better inventions.

Certainly Tesla's bifilar pancake coil patent occurred because Tesla
      could visualize what was occurring on a standard pancake coil.

Staying tuned...
      Last edited by morpher44; 08-20-2009, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Original Kinraide Coil Spark Photo

In the first "Original Kinraide Coil Spark Photo" image you have above,
        it would be interesting to know if the THICKER, BRIGHTER streams
        are associated with a certain magnetic direction -- east-west or
        north-south.

Why would these two ARC directions be more energetic around the
        360 degrees of the coil? A curiosity.

Comment

The skeptic's skeptic

I think it odd that by sheer coincidence someone with so much teslian technology experience would come along to the energetic forum, propounding the view that teslian technology can be explained by using hertzian waves, let alone claiming that teslian technology USED hertzian waves - right when people on this forum have begun working out that such statements couldn't be further from the truth.

Pls take a look at the hairpin circuit, and use scalar waves (tesla's radiant energy) with tesla's coils.

Or at least read Meyl's scalar wave book, available for free from google books

Love and light
          Last edited by Inquorate; 08-20-2009, 06:43 AM. Reason: I came on a bit strong
          Atoms move for free. It's all about resonance and phase. Make the circuit open and build a generator.

Comment

hertzian waves vs Tesla waves

Originally posted by Inquorate View Post
            I think it odd that by sheer coincidence someone with so much teslian technology experience would come along to the energetic forum, propounding the view that teslian technology can be explained by using hertzian waves...
            Ah but Tesla technology uses both Scalar "Longitudinal" waves
            and Hertzian "Transverse" waves.
            I think what is needed next is a way to visualize the Scalar waves.

The "Borderland Science" video on this topic was excellent.

I think that "mutual inductance", when added to the mix in any circuit
            makes the math and physics so complicated and non-linear ...
            that this is all still very much a mystery.
            Most of our electronic formulas are the steady-state, linear
            phenomenon only.
            The physicists are FAR ahead as Beardon points out.

But for us mere mortal inventors, we need ways
            to visualize what is happening so that we can work
            out how best to exploit the electric "fluid".

Also, NMR is quite interesting in that electrons have one
            frequency (one color as it were) and protons have another.
            So if these appear as colors in the ARC, they should appear
            differently ... one yellowish, the other blue/purplish ..

To see the scalar on the ARCs, you would look for a long
            streamers with interference patterns or something ...
            standing waves. Still photography is cool ... but
            a "motion picture", showing movement and arcs in slow-mo
            with respect to a known time frame ... way better.
            Last edited by morpher44; 08-20-2009, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Phantom Streams theory

It is well known that ARC can occur in air when the
              voltage reaches a certain threshold to cause
              dielectric breakdown:

Electrical breakdown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is also well known that all sorts of particles arrive to the planet
              from outer-space on a random basis through-out the day and night.

Could these so called "phantom streams" be caused by a
              high-energy particle passing by, ionizing the air, reducing the
              break down threshold to a lower voltage in at that one moment
              causing the ARC to happen at that PLACE with higher
              energetics ... than at other places around the coil?

Just a theory.
              To test this theory, you would need a means of ionizing
              artificially at a certain region of your coil and then
              take photos as above to see if ARC occurs at that
              location more dominantly.

Other ideas?

Comment

I think it odd that by sheer coincidence someone with so much teslian technology experience would come along to the energetic forum, propounding the view that teslian technology can be explained by using hertzian waves, let alone claiming that teslian technology USED hertzian waves - right when people on this forum have begun working out that such statements couldn't be further from the truth.

Pls take a look at the hairpin circuit, and use scalar waves (tesla's radiant energy) with tesla's coils.

Love and light
                Hi Inquorate,

The illustrations and information on the "Tesla Hair Pin" came from the book "The Inventions, Researches and Writings of Nikola Tesla" By Thomas Commerford Martin and Nikola Tesla

"The Inventions, Researches and Writings of Nikola Tesla"

Published in 1893, great book all 493 pages !!

Best Regards,
                Glen
                Open Source Experimentalist
                Open Source Research and Development

Comment

@Inquorate

Please try to calm down your paranoia.

I was away from this forum for quite some time and I'm thrilled to see Jeff joining it. I've been communicating with Jeff for number of years and I can tell you that he very well knows what he is talking about as well as having extensive practical experience. I build quite a few large Tesla transformers and for the past few years I never seem to be able to find some time to build pancake coils like Jeff's. However I did find some other people in Europe who built them and also got some very interesting results. And all within the classical Tesla coil theory.

As for the Meyl's work- you really should take things that he is telling with a grain of salt. His system is not even similar to Tesla's except for the large spherical capacitance he uses and it doesn't work if grounded. It's pretty obvious why that is- and let me tell you he was quite pissed when I mentioned that to him. I won't go into further details everything is quite obvious if you look at his setup and his theories.

If you're interested about Tesla's technologies like wireless (or rather single wire transmission) you really should look into works of Strebkov, Zaev and Avramenko. They are doing it quite regularly on quite a large scale in Russia. Aside from work by Dollard I'm yet to see anybody achieving some resuls even close to Tesla's.
                  http://www.nequaquamvacuum.com/en/en...n/alt-sci.html
                  http://www.neqvac.com

Comment

@jeff_behary

Can you describe what is needed to create such discharges ? Do you mean you were able to reproduce all 5 kinds of Tesla discharges ?
                    Did you also reproduced St Elmo's fire like discharge ?

Comment

Wow good.

Would you know if is possible establish similarities with this sparks structure and vacuum fractal holographic structure of the vacuum?

Looking the main root of the spark this has many smaller and this smaller another smallest. Seems Holographic
                      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs. Apple CEO

Comment

fractal

Originally posted by patmac View Post
                        Wow good.
                        Looking the main root of the spark this has many smaller and this smaller another smallest. Seems Holographic
                        Actually, "fractal" is the world I would use.

Comment

An eccentric skeptic...

Love and light
                          I will never claim to make sense as an experimenter, and definately do not mean to offend anyone if I disagree with certain views.

I'm not a physicist in any form. I'm a machinist and junk collector. Having an underground museum and home open to the public (and receiving visitors after work sometimes until 2am) has opened my eyes a lot to just what sort of people are interested in Tesla. Its unreal how diverse and interesting the Tesla crowd has become as more and more people become aware of who he was. (We've had writers, doctors, medical associations, the FBI, beauticians, students, professors, nudists, and the occasional dominatress) (

In the past though, there tended to be 2 general types of [more or less] extremists (and I'll joking use some extreme imagery to paint their portraits):

One was insistent that everything on the planet was a government conspiracy, and that if you carve an eggplant into the shape of a martian and stick a piece of wire in it you can power the whole city for free.

The other was absolutely convinced that Tesla Coils offer nothing new and can be explained 100% on paper so at the end of the day there is no reason to even build anything or experiment because everything there is no know is known and if it we switch on a coil for even a second we'll die of ozone inhalation and UV radiation from the spark gap, as well as get arrested by the FCC.

(There is a similar set of opposite folks in the medical arena, but I'll save that analogy for another day).

I am trying, by experimentation, to not be either one of those people...
                          but one can hardly claim sanity or rationality having an "electrotherapy museum"...completely agreed.

Hertzian waves definately do NOT explain everything, and that's part of what I'm doing here. The discharges and effects I am attempting to document are taking into account many things that the average electrical engineer overlooks. I've found that the materials used by Tesla are one of the most important parts of his discoveries, and are often completely overlooked in research today. Its one of my biggest arguments to offer. Silk-covered wire, ebonite or hard rubber, beeswax, rosin, all things considered archaic from a modern perspective have some really special properties at high frequencies...

Jeff

Comment

Dear Mr Jeff Behary,

Thank you for your glorious work! I am a regular visitor to your website and am always checking out the "whats new" section. I also have seen your presentation given at the ExtraOrdinary Technology Conferance and have taken good note.

I agree that pankake coils are an under-exploited area in regards to Tesla Coils and study into their mysterious effects. I also believe they are a excellent driver or "secondary coil" to drive an "extra coil", as you have done. Or even extra coil themselves.

Your Photogaphy work of spark effects are second to none as far as I have seen! Many of your photos grace my desktop backgrounds on my PC. Thankyou!

Also you understand the importance of sparkgap types, spark mediums and tuning a coil with appropriate capacitor(s).

Have you done any work with Mercury and oil spark gaps? I.e. Disruptive discharges, excluding the air? I plan to experiment with this soon and to build more pancakes!!

Thankyou for you excellent website and first class construction in all of your work!
                            With Kind Regards..
                            "Doesn't matter how many times you kick the coyote in the head, it's still gonna eat chickens". - EPD

Comment

An eccentric skeptic...

Love and light
                              I will never claim to make sense as an experimenter, and definately do not mean to offend anyone if I disagree with certain views.

I'm not a physicist in any form. I'm a machinist and junk collector. Having an underground museum and home open to the public (and receiving visitors after work sometimes until 2am) has opened my eyes a lot to just what sort of people are interested in Tesla. Its unreal how diverse and interesting the Tesla crowd has become as more and more people become aware of who he was. (We've had writers, doctors, medical associations, the FBI, beauticians, students, professors, nudists, and the occasional dominatress) (

In the past though, there tended to be 2 general types of [more or less] extremists (and I'll joking use some extreme imagery to paint their portraits):

One was insistent that everything on the planet was a government conspiracy, and that if you carve an eggplant into the shape of a martian and stick a piece of wire in it you can power the whole city for free.

The other was absolutely convinced that Tesla Coils offer nothing new and can be explained 100% on paper so at the end of the day there is no reason to even build anything or experiment because everything there is to know is known and if we switch on a coil for even a second we'll die of ozone inhalation and UV radiation from the spark gap, as well as get arrested by the FCC.

(There is a similar set of opposite folks in the medical arena, but I'll save that analogy for another day).

I am trying, by experimentation, to not be either one of those people...
                              but one can hardly claim sanity or rationality having an "electrotherapy museum"...completely agreed.

Hertzian waves definately do NOT explain everything, and that's part of what I'm doing here. The discharges and effects I am attempting to document are taking into account many things that the average electrical engineer overlooks. I've found that the materials used by Tesla are one of the most important parts of his discoveries, and are often completely overlooked in research today. Its one of my biggest arguments to offer. Silk-covered wire, ebonite or hard rubber, beeswax, rosin, all things considered archaic from a modern perspective have some really special properties at high frequencies...

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X