• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel from old tires, it works!

Hi all.
    Have a look at these videos:
    YouTube - Tyre Recycling into Fuel and Oil

It is obvious that old tires are a big problem and you can't just throw them away or burn them. So why not turn them into fuel. The process is very simple. You need a big metal barrel where you can put in the tires or any other rubber. You just heat the barrel so that the rubber starts to melt and boil. All the exhaust from the barrel needs to go through a cooled radiator. The exhaust gasses will condensate into liquid and gas. On the other end of the radiator you need a smaller tank where the liquid and gas is separated. The gas can be burned for heating and in theory there is more than enough gas to sustain the big barrel heating process by its own, even with some extra gas that you can use for other purposes. So I decided to give it a try since I have a huge pile of old tires. My brother and I made a simple and cheap system all out of junk parts. It did not cost us nothing, just our time. The main barrel is an old 100L boiler. We cut away all the parts that were not needed and welded shut all the holes that we did not need. We made a lid for the barrel so that it can be opened for filling. We used an old steel radiator for the condenser, we just welded a box around it and filled the radiator space with cold water for better cooling. Here is how it looked like:

very simple and low-tec
    The radiator:

The process begins:

The flammable gas went through a bubbler and into a metal pipe with a mesh on the end.

The process goes on until no gas comes out anymore, then it is time to empty the liquid/gas separator and you get a very bad smelling, muddy liquid that looks like dirty water with algae in it. When filtered from the solids, it looks like this:

It appears like oil, but it is in fact not thick at all, it's density is much like gasoline or diesel and it burns very well. A friend who also made such a test a while ago, said that he ran his moped with this stuff - pure, not mixed with anything and it ran better than with gasoline. The other thing that is left from the process is charcoal:

It is dry and light. It does not burn and does not smell. The gas smells like hell, something like propane, diesel and rubber, but if you burn it, it does not smell bad anymore. There are some black smoke coming from the flame, but this is because the gas does not burn fully, at least with our simple setup. If you wave your hand through the flame, some of the gas sticks to the hand and burns for a while on your hand. Of course all this should be done properly, because the gas is toxic and even when burned, the smoke is also not good to your health. My results are very good, the process works well. Our setup is crude and inefficient, but this was so just for the first test and I learned a lot. We need to change much, but anyway, the results are pretty good. In theory if you recycle 100kg of rubber, you get about 33L of fuel and VERY MUCH gas. Will modify the big barrel for more efficient performance and safety. Then I will try to run some engines with this stuff
    Hope you enjoyed reading.
    Thank you!
    Jetijs
    Last edited by Jetijs; 04-16-2009, 09:25 PM.
    It's better to wear off by working than to rust by doing nothing.

Another youtube video:
    YouTube - Tyres to Oil - Continuous Carbonisation System Video #6

Comment

Really cool.

Those gases and liquid, as from the tires, come from just about ANYTHING
      you would put into that barrel Jetijs. not just tires.
      Give it a go, Jetijs .. try something else, other than tires, in your barrel you have handy. Same as a woodgas stove it is.

How does one cut up tires into small bits? That's the biggest problem ..

Any gases that does not condensed into liquid could be piped back to heat the barrel saving on fuel.

I would think that charcoal is loaded with carbon and would make good food
      for mycorrhizal fungus, which seems to like old motor oil.

just keep
      Last edited by Vortex; 04-16-2009, 09:39 PM. Reason: woodgas stove
      Remember to be kind to your mind ...
      Tesla quoting Buddha: "Ignorance is the greatest evil in the world."

Comment

You are right, just about any plastic will do. So this is an excellent way to recycle garbage. If you want to dispose some tires properly, you need to bring them to a special facility that recycles them and you also have to pay for that. But this way not only you recycle them properly by yourself, you also get free heating from extra gas that is not needed to sustain the barrel heating and free fuel. And you can get old tires for free from local car repair shops, because they are so happy if someone takes them and they don't need to do all the necessary stuff to dispose them properly.
        And yes, that charcoal should be pure carbon.

Comment

I thought this was going to be about the machine created by Frank Pringle, but this is also interesting. Although I don't think this is the type of stuff I'd be willing to put in my car.

Comment

Thanks for posting man , maybe use the heat source form a solar parabolic dish?

Comment

Dingus, of course, I also would not use it for my car. More testing is needed. I will try it for small engines first, something like a lawn mover. But this stuff can be used as is for home heating, you just need a burner that runs on liquid fuel.

Ash, solar dish wont deliver the heat needed. You need to burn some wood or use a gas burner to heat the barrel. The metal walls of the barrel become red hot during the process

Comment

Hi!
                Here is a short video about the process:
                YouTube - fuel from old tires through pyrolysis

Comment

Hi Jetijs,

Excellent work , I was curious about your tires .... do they have steel plys or belts encased in the rubber and if so is there any problems you have incurred during the process using this type of tire. Most all tires in the United States uses steel belts .......

As always, keep up the outstanding work

Best Regards,
                  Glen
                  Open Source Experimentalist
                  Open Source Research and Development

Comment

Hi Glen
                    For these tests I used all the old rubbers that I could find that do not have any steel in them. Because it is very hard to cut a tire in smaller pieces without an industrial shredder. I just wanted to test the process. There were many failures, but now I have figured it all out
                    Thanks.
                    Jetijs

Comment

you can use the gas to burn the tires or maybe make storage tank to store the gas and use it later to burn the tires.

Can we use this gas to cook food? You said it smelled bad and was toxic.

Comment

The collecting of the gas in a tank would be too costly. In theory the pyrolysis process produces so much gas that the process can get self sustaining and you can get even some extra gas to use it for home heating or something else. Also, I am sure that there is certainly a way to use this gas for cooking, but the gas should not be used in open flame like fashion like propane.

Comment

heating homes in the winter.

Comment

Another method

You are going to get some very bad exhaust gases. People are going to get deeply upset.

The GRC microwaves project seems very interesting:
                            Directory:Global Resource Corp:High-Frequency Attenuating Wave Kinetics or HAWK - PESWiki

Paul.

Comment

Jetijs

Have you had chance to test the emmisions. Or do you have the means to do so. A local school may have a gas spectrometer. Usually water treatment facilties have them. Alot of state highway divisions have labs for this purpose.

If it was just producing CO2 that would be safe, But I expect a High Carbon Monoxide count. You may also be leaching other emmisions. Alot of chemicals in tire rubber production are not petroleum based. And not all tire rubber is made to a standard. Chinese tires may have alot more toxins than an American tire.

You shou;d not experiment with plastics without first looking at the emmisions breakdown on them. PVC for instants emits many cancer causing emmisions. That do not breakdown in the enviroment easily.

Whatever you do test it before you put your self in position where you or someone else has to breath it.

Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X