Big Joule Theif

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Joule Theif

I got this idea after watching Lidmotors latest video.

This is a basic joule theif circuit done with a big coil.
    The coil I used is a trifilar coil.
    It has a 23ga. bifilar winding 750 turns.
    Then a 21ga. 450 turns wound on the out side of the two 23ga. windings.
    With an iron core.
    The + is the start of the coil and the - is the coil ending.

The interesting thing is when its running to place a magnet on the front of the coil.
    Then it really takes off and you can hear the coil screeching.
    Attached Files

Big joule thief

Any idea what frequency it's running at? My self oscillating relay driving transistor switching for coil is beginning to drive me a touch loopy with all the noise, and I'm wondering if your system would be a good 'signal generator' - maybe vary the frequency with a few pots thrown into the mix, and charge a battery at the same time..

Atoms move for free. It's all about resonance and phase. Make the circuit open and build a generator.

Comment

@Inquorate

Sorry I really couldnt tell you what frequency its running at.

I know you could control it with a pot and moving the magnets around on the front of it do a lot to.

Comment

Frequency

Tnx anyway, I'll start winding a coil tonight, will post video of frequency etc, as usual you've made what seems a great circuit out of very little!
        Atoms move for free. It's all about resonance and phase. Make the circuit open and build a generator.

Comment

New project

@ Slayer---Looks like I may be trying this tomorrow. The coil that I have used for your other circuits should work for this one. If we can get this to run a CFL and charge like the little joule thief -----WOW!!!

Lidmotor

Comment

Here is a video I just upladed on you tube.

Notice the differance in voltage after a magnet is stuck to the front of the coil.
            the back EMF was around 800 to a 1000 volts and the other winding was around 550 volts.
            Then after the magnets were attached the voltage went off the board.

YouTube - Big Jouel Theif Slayer007

Comment

Here are a few joule thief circuits I found on youtube.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Here is one that lights a cfl and two 90v neon bulbs
              jtfl.jpg

Here is the circuit to the above photo
              FREEZER CIRCUIT.jpg

These are not mine, I can't seem to get mine to work. I think I have my emitter-collector leads wrong. I am trying to use a B237 npn transistor T0126 package.

The photos are from overunity.com in one of the biggest threads I've ever seen. (141 pages!! I'm only on page 30)
              http://www.youtube.com/user/lApEkv2l
              If a connection cannot be established to the following link, it is because my server is either off or in Windows XP
              Trying to understand the spark of plasma in water. Links - Pics - Vids

Comment

Voltage divider

For how to measure voltage that's higher than a meter will go, see my post on 'capacitor Electret other' thread. It's really quite useful for hv

Comment

Draw vs output

Hi to everyone!!
                  I wonder what`s the draw on the primary??
                  If you hook the output trough the hv side of the car coil trough a sparkgap
                  is it possible to get it back to the primary on the lv side of the car coil???
                  As i can imagine,the output of the secondary is maybe 4000 volts..
                  Maybe Slayer can clarify this????
                  Anyway. Just knowing the draw on this system is a start!!!!!

Congradulation to Slayer for is succes.

Alain D
                  Hope die last!!!

Comment

I can't get my joule thief to work. Spent 6 hours on it and 4 different coil, transistor and resistor arrangements and got nothing. Tried the 2n2222, 2n3904, and bd237 to126 transistors.

What's wrong with these?

Removed the photo (upload space is filling up)

I'm using cat5 cable for two of the coils

EDIT - I only have one LED I could find, so I am using jumpers for it instead of soldering all the time
                    Last edited by ApEkV2; 01-20-2009, 10:12 PM.
                    If a connection cannot be established to the following link, it is because my server is either off or in Windows XP

Comment

Originally posted by ApEkV2 View Post
                      I can't get my joule thief to work. Spent 6 hours on it and 4 different coil, transistor and resistor arrangements and got nothing. Tried the 2n2222, 2n3904, and bd237 to126 transistors.

What's wrong with these?
                      [ATTACH]1908[/ATTACH]

EDIT - I only have one LED I could find, so I am using jumpers for it instead of soldering all the time
                      I had watched this video which said you must use one wire from each pair, opposite wires
                      off the toroid and solder those together.
                      For example: If you used a blue and red wire then solder together the blue from one pair and the red from the other pair.
                      You have soldered together a pair of wires, not one wire from each pair.

That's All I know about it not working.
                      Remember to be kind to your mind ...
                      Tesla quoting Buddha: "Ignorance is the greatest evil in the world."

Comment

Originally posted by ApEkV2 View Post

What's wrong with these?
                        [ATTACH]1908[/ATTACH]

@ApEkV2

It looks like you have your coil wired wrong.
                        According to the circuit I posted anyway.

Instead of wiring the coil ends togeather, wire them togeather from the start of the coil wire with the end one.

So the white and the orange wire would be togeather but one from one end of the coil and the other from the other end of the coil.

I hope that helps if you look at my circuit you can see I have the + of one coil and the - of the other going to the positive of the source.

Comment

Fixed

That was the problem. Thanks for clearing that up for me Vortex and slayer007.
                          Here it is now the correct way. The sound they make are really cool.
                          I found the one circuit with the to126 package transistor worked the best out of the three.

correct thief.jpg

That picture came out bad. But mainly the one in the middle with blue wire is easy to see the change. Thanks again.
                          Last edited by ApEkV2; 01-18-2009, 09:43 PM.

Comment

How to make a jewel theif.

Guys,

You may find this video helpful

YouTube - Joule Thief (How to Make a) 005

He has a history of doing good videos and here he shows you step by step...

FYI.
                            See my experiments here...
                            http://www.youtube.com/marthale7

You do not have to prove something for it to be true. However, you do have to prove something for others to believe it true.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer007 View Post
                              Here is a video I just upladed on you tube.

Notice the differance in voltage after a magnet is stuck to the front of the coil.
                              the back EMF was around 800 to a 1000 volts and the other winding was around 550 volts.
                              Then after the magnets were attached the voltage went off the board.

YouTube - Big Jouel Theif Slayer007
                              Hi,

It sounds to me that you have dropped the operating frequency of your JT down to audible levels when you attached the magnets. At least that's what used to happen to me when I was playing with the JT circuits months ago.

Because the frequency is lower voltage went up and the coil is producing audible oscillations instead of ultrasonic. Maybe you should scope this out and see the waveforms, without and with the magnets...

Of course, use a x100 probe or the scope will squeak too, it's final breath
                              Are the ravings of a lunatic signs of a genius?

Comment

Working...
                              X